"Hiring Sparano Was a Big Mistake"...

Freemanm

I'm not sure what to make of hiring Sparano. Yeah, he's a Parcells guy who loves the ground n' pound game. My only worry is that the ground n' pound game didn't work in Miami, when he had Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams running with the ball. The Jets have Shonn Greene (it's lookign like LT will retire), who, in my opinion, is a decent RB but not the game changer that everyone thought he was going to be. It will be interesting to see if Sparano will make us even want Schitty back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aidan Mackie/Bleacher Report

In typical New York Jets fashion, the franchise decided to part ways with one of the most ineffective offense coordinators in the NFL and replace him with an even worse one.

The hiring of former Miami Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano will not fix the free-falling Jets, nor will it bring fans the coveted Lombardi Trophy.

Instead, the move may end all possibility of Mark Sanchez developing into a franchise quarterback, and it may actually lead to a regression on the offensive side of the ball.

Sparano loves to run the ball. And by this, I mean he hates to throw the ball. In his four years as head coach, the Dolphins ranked 12th, 3rd, 11th and 6th in rushing attempts per game.

Many may think that the Jets are attempting to get back to their "ground-and-pound" roots. However, the team has too many holes to successfully return to that strategy.

Shonn Greene has proven that he can not be a consistent feature back in the NFL, and LaDanian Tomlinson's age is finally catching up with him. Joe Mcknight has potential, but he is still a big question mark heading into the offseason.

The offensive line is also a mess. Right tackle Wayne Hunter cannot block to save his life, and tight end Matthew Mulligan and left guard Matt Slausen also struggle in run blocking. Heck, even Pro Bowlers D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Brandon Moore regressed this past season.

Unless New York can solve their major offensive line problems and find a speedy running back, then Sparano's offensive game plan will be largely ineffective.

91833994_crop_340x234.jpg?1326747914 Doug Benc/Getty Images

In fact, Sparano's run-heavy system in Miami wasn't all that effective. The Dolphins ranked just 21st, 15th, 30th and 25th in points per game in Sparano's four-year tenure as head coach.

The hiring of Sparano also shows that the Jets have no trust in Mark Sanchez as the franchise quarterback. The team looks to be going out of their way to keep the ball out of his hands.

The conservative offense will hinder Sanchez's development and prohibit him from taking the next step. New York's front office needs to be patient and let the USC product come into his own, much like Eli Manning with the Giants.

Tony Sparano is also not shy about voicing his opinions. Will a locker room that consists of a diverse group of players and a bombastic head coach be a good fit, or will it lead to another media blowup?

Most importantly, Sparano has not won with this conservative approach. He had a losing record with the Dolphins, while appearing in just one playoff game.

Too many factors point toward the Sparano hiring being a mistake. Tony Sparano will not just lead to the doom of the Jets passing game, but he will lead to the demise of New York as a winning team.

I'm not sure what to make of hiring Sparano. Yeah, he's a Parcells guy who loves the ground n' pound game. My only worry is that the ground n' pound game didn't work in Miami, when he had Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams running with the ball. The Jets have Shonn Greene (it's lookign like LT will retire), who, in my opinion, is a decent RB but not the game changer that everyone thought he was going to be. It will be interesting to see if Sparano will make us even want Schitty back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aidan Mackie/Bleacher Report

In typical New York Jets fashion, the franchise decided to part ways with one of the most ineffective offense coordinators in the NFL and replace him with an even worse one.

The hiring of former Miami Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano will not fix the free-falling Jets, nor will it bring fans the coveted Lombardi Trophy.

Instead, the move may end all possibility of Mark Sanchez developing into a franchise quarterback, and it may actually lead to a regression on the offensive side of the ball.

Stopped reading there...how can it get worse?

Well if the Bleacher Report says it, it must be true.

I know what you mean, but the question is still valid. Does Sparano make us better or worse? Should we not be focused so much on Sanchez gunning the ball downfield and instead, expect to see an incredibly boring offense like the Bucs and the Ravens had when they won the Superbowl?

I think he fits in really well with what they want to do. Plus, he seems to know how to hide a QB.

Where it WILL be a mistake is if they choose to keep the QB/passing game secondary...I hope the 49ers don't win the SB just because I think it'd give Rex confidence to do just that.

Yeah whatever. The only person who could maybe help Sanchez become a franchise QB is this guy...

Aladdin3192.jpg

and I'm pretty sure he's make believe.

I thought that was just you with some makeup on.

Bottom ,line is that the Jets O had no identity this year. It was a flavor of the week type deal and that did not fly. Now at least we know its a ground and pound and you can start staffing up that way. Was sanchez effective when given multiple throws? no. So lets dial it back and hopefully get back to bashing heads on O. Let sanchez work out of the play action pass...

LL

meanwhile he ran and run and shoot as HC in New Haven and they led DII with 42 points a game.

great article.

Exactly. We finally hired a coach capable of diversifying what he does, so that defenses actually have to prepare to face us.

One games worth of film gave you all you needed to know about Schotty... and he was never able to really diversify.

Mangini was the same ******* way. He was so limited in what he could scheme, we had to dump all our 4-3 talent... essentially wasting 3 seasons.

This is why I like Rex so much. He's able to tailor his defense to the opponent, in a lot of ways. He was more creative his first 2 years though, this year he got comfortable. That's over though.

I was all geared up to skewer your post, mostly because you give no facts to back up your claim, then even more to the effect that you cite the Bleacher Report as your claim. The people have already spoken though so I'll leave it be.

Though bro, you can't let some sports blogs OPINION get you worried. It's just that an opinion, it's nether true nor false.

Lets make a likely assumption though, Sparano may not be a good head coach, but that does not make him a bad coordinator. In fact he might actually be a good one. He has a small history of success back in Dallas. He certainly seems to have a plan of attack (something we all agree Schotty never had), and he wants to protect the quarterback. Where does any of this seem bad to you?

I was all geared up to skewer your post, mostly because you give no facts to back up your claim, then even more to the effect that you cite the Bleacher Report as your claim. The people have already spoken though so I'll leave it be.

Though bro, you can't let some sports blogs OPINION get you worried. It's just that an opinion, it's nether true nor false.

Lets make a likely assumption though, Sparano may not be a good head coach, but that does not make him a bad coordinator. In fact he might actually be a good one. He has a small history of success back in Dallas. He certainly seems to have a plan of attack (something we all agree Schotty never had), and he wants to protect the quarterback. Where does any of this seem bad to you?

I definitely hear you. I guess the only reason I have to worry is that Shonn Greene may not be the feature back in a ground and pound game. Yes, he had 1,054 yards, but he didn't seem to consistently get those 3-4 ypc that Thomas Jones used to produce in 2009. Then there are questions about how the Jets will shore up their line.

The other question also, if you're gonna be a ground n' pound team, where does that leave the "Sanchize?" Why bother paying Sanchez a bunch of money to hand the ball off? He's only mediocre as a pocket passer and can't run with the ball, and I'm not sure if Rex is looking at him in the same way as the Ravens looked upon Brad Johnson in 2000, or the Bucs upon Trent Dilfer the year they won it?

I definitely hear you. I guess the only reason I have to worry is that Shonn Greene may not be the feature back in a ground and pound game. Yes, he had 1,054 yards, but he didn't seem to consistently get those 3-4 ypc that Thomas Jones used to produce in 2009. Then there are questions about how the Jets will shore up their line.

The other question also, if you're gonna be a ground n' pound team, where does that leave the "Sanchize?" Why bother paying Sanchez a bunch of money to hand the ball off? He's only mediocre as a pocket passer and can't run with the ball, and I'm not sure if Rex is looking at him in the same way as the Ravens looked upon Brad Johnson in 2000, or the Bucs upon Trent Dilfer the year they won it?

Sparano by himself doesn't fix this offense, but we still have an entire offseason to work out the kinks. It isn't really all that far off from when we were good...Sign a RT in free agency with the money saved by cutting Hunter/Sanchez restructure. Draft LaMichael James/Doug Martin in the 3rd round. Sign Braylon Edwards to replace Plaxico. Sign any a$$hole who can block at TE w/o getting a holding penalty. Simple moves, potentially significant pay out...

Well Greene might not be the guy but he oine didn't do ayone ay faorsthis season.There was no push past the initial line of scrimmage. None of the lineman could get to the linebackers.

As far as Sanchez they pay him to win games in the 4th quarter, which he still managed to do this past season, not enough I'll admit, but he did. Also as I posted in a previous topic, Sanchez is a very good vertical thrower, which was sorely missed this season.

Concern remains that Ground and Pound, without superior QB play, is longterm a limiting way to win games. There are enough bad teams that you can get in the playoffs. But at some point you need to throw with authority. And running Wildcat and run first is not going to beat the Pats for the AFC for the immediate future.

2008, his first year:

12th Total Offense...from 28th in 2007 with Cam Cameron

10th Pass...24th in 2007

11th Rush...23rd in 2007

*he also led the team from 1-15 to 11-5

*Pennington, Brown in his prime, Williams, Fasano and cast of nobodies at WR (Camarillo, Bees, Ginn Jr)

2009:

17th Total Offense

19th Pass

4th Rush

*Pennington goes down early, Henne starts, Fasano

*Brown was injured and out week 11, Williams was the primary back

*Same sh*t WR's (Camarillo, Bees, Ginn Jr.)

2010:

21st Total Offense

16th Pass

21st Rush

*Henne and a little bit of Tyler Thigpen

*Brown is now 29 coming off a season ending injury and is trouble with the law, Williams is now 33 years old

*Brandon Marshall's first year and finally a WR target on the roster along with Fasano (Bees, Hartline)

2011:

22nd Total Offense

23rd Pass

11th Rush

*Henne hurt...then Moore

*Reggie Bush has his first 1,000 yard season 5 yards per carry, Daniel Thomas 581 as a back up

*Marshall, Hartline, Bees, Fasano

Now...the ONLY year he was actually the OC was in 06 with the Cowboys:

2006 as OC:

5th Total Offense

5th Pass

13 Rush

*This was done while switching QB's from Bledsoe to Romo in Week 7

*Jones, Barber, Owens, Glenn and Witten primary skilled positions

Now....Let's look at Steve Spagnuolo's Defense while he was HC of the Rams. The recently fired HC every team (who has an opening) wants to be their DC. (whom btw I think is a very good coach as well but...)

2009:

29th Total Defense

25th against Pass

27th against Run

2010:

19th Total Defense

19th against Pass

17th against Run

2011:

22th Total Defense

7th against Pass

31st against Run

Josh McDaniels...

2009 as HC:

15th Total Offense

13th Pass

18th Rush

*Orton, Moreno, Marshall, Gaffney, Royal, Scheffler

2010 as HC:

13th Total Offense

7th Pass

26th Rush

Orton, Moreno, Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, Scheffler, Tebow

2011 as OC:

31st Total Offense

30th Pass

23rd Rush

*Bradford, Jackson, Cadillac, Norwood, Lloyd, Gibson, Alexander, Sims-Walker, Kendricks

Now....Let's look at Steve Spagnuolo's Defense while he was HC of the Rams. The recently fired HC every team (who has an opening) wants to be their DC. (whom btw I think is a very good coach as well but...)

2009:

29th Total Defense

25th against Pass

27th against Run

2010:

19th Total Defense

19th against Pass

17th against Run

2011:

22th Total Defense

7th against Pass

31st against Run

I see what you did there.

Seriously though good job finding all that info and posting it.

People are freaking out because Tony failed as a head coach. Yet the league is littered with guys who fail as head coaches but are terrific coordinators.

- Marty Mornhinweg, Dick LeBeau, Wade Phillips, Mike Nolan, Dom Capers, Scott Linehan, Jim Haslett, Dick Jauron, Gunther Cunningham, Gregg Williams. There are even more if you dig through the history of the league.

Being a head coach is such a different responsibility than being a coordinator. Actually being the head coach means you are less hands on with the players and the sides of the ball than the respective coordinator. You try to be hands on as a head coach, but you have to deal with things like telling the GM what players you need, discipline, understanding the other teams game plans and plans of attack, organizing the practice structure, and communicating with your coaches what the best strategy will be.

Judging a candidate based on their track record as a head coach is an unfair comparison.

Yeah whatever. The only person who could maybe help Sanchez become a franchise QB is this guy...

Aladdin3192.jpg

and I'm pretty sure he's make believe.

SHUT UP!!!! HE'S REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!

so if the jets don't get good players, the offense will suck

huh

If their QB cannot throw efficiently, they will continue to suck. I have nothing against Sparano, but this is shoving water against the tide. You can rank him better than Schitty, which is really no surprise. Unless we see some 300+ yard passing 3/4 TD passes every week consistently the popgun ground and pound nonsense is not going to get it done. If Sanchez ain't the guy, get the guy. And don't lose a minute's sleep if Drew Brees costs #1s, since our GM wastes them anyway.

I know what you mean, but the question is still valid. Does Sparano make us better or worse? Should we not be focused so much on Sanchez gunning the ball downfield and instead, expect to see an incredibly boring offense like the Bucs and the Ravens had when they won the Superbowl?

So your saying Shotty is better than Sparano?

Archived