D’Brickashaw Ferguson restructures contract

rkw522

it's not like a big sacrifice for any of them as I understand it. In fact, from a discounted present value standpoint, the way everything gets measured it's actually an upgrade for any player to restructure and get MORE of his contract NOW as a signing bonus (which gets amortized over future cap years) than to wait for it to arrive in those future years.

The Jets will have about 25-30 million in cap space (plenty for what they need to do) by the time FA starts.

The other important factor is that normally such deals would have a toxic effect on the caps for 2013 and 2014 but in this particular year that is strongly mitigated by the fact that the cap will take into account the explosive new revenues from the renegotiated league TV contracts starting in those years.

My guess is that the cap for those years will be in the area of 150 million, maybe higher which will be more than enough to handle the "futures" cap costs of these renegotiated deals

so essentially, the team gets cap relief in 2012 without the normal consequences of "mortgaging the future'' Parcells style

NY Jets and D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Pro Bowl offense lineman, restructure contract to give team more salary cap space

Gang Green will save about $7.5 million in cap room

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 1:31 AM

Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 1:31 AM

image.jpg

BENC/GETTY

The Jets and D’Brickashaw Ferguson have restructured the lineman's deal to be more cap friendly.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have restructured Pro Bowl left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s contract.

The Jets converted $9 million of Ferguson’s $9.985 million base salary in 2012 to a signing bonus to give the team more cap space, according to a source.

The cap value of the converted signing bonus will be spread over the remaining six years of Ferguson’s contract. So, the Jets will get an additional $7.5 million of cap relief this season. Gang Green had very little cap flexibility before the move.

Ferguson, a three-time Pro Bowler, signed an eight-year, $73.6 million deal before the 2010 seaso

$7.5 million? Holy sh*t. I guess that is what happens when you combine a good soldier with a down year. That's a hell of a start to the offseason. Why do I have a feeling after this we'll be hearing about a Pouha extension very soon?

Although after looking at the specifics, he didn't give up a cent, so... nevermind.

If anyone should restructure its Holmes who was paid way too much to begin with but its nice to hear D-brick stepped up

Well, he didn't lose money - and Brick's contract kind of sucked for him anyway, if I recall.

Brick just got a lump payment up front - good for him, and for the Jets.

Tanny, for being a glorified accountant, came into this offseason in sh*t shape... he needs to work his magic.

This is where Tanny does good right up to the point where he go's to use it. LOL

He's just going to overpay someone then ask them for some of it back in 2 years when he has to go out and sign someone to do the job in 2014 that he couldn't overpay the right guy to do in 2012... and around and around we go... woooheeeeee!!!!!

the reason why this happened is because DBrick is a low risk player, and the Jets realistically believe he will be there for another 6 years no problem, playing at an extremely high level. There's not alot of Jets players we can say that about with confidence.

the reason why this happened is because DBrick is a low risk player, and the Jets realistically believe he will be there for another 6 years no problem, playing at an extremely high level. There's not alot of Jets players we can say that about with confidence.

An elite LT like him SHOULD age like a fine wine or somethin for sure.

An elite LT like him SHOULD age like a fine wine or somethin for sure.

Let's hope so, because at times last season he was much closer to a bottle of Ripple in a brown paper bag. Nice move going into the upcoming draft & FA fest.

Someone mentioned that Holmes should restructure... this is such a no-brainer that will never happen unless there is something big in it for him. The epitome of a selfish and clueless player.

Let's hope so, because at times last season he was much closer to a bottle of Ripple in a brown paper bag. Nice move going into the upcoming draft & FA fest.

Someone mentioned that Holmes should restructure... this is such a no-brainer that will never happen unless there is something big in it for him. The epitome of a selfish and clueless player.

Yeah D'Brick was off last year, but I think the OL as a whole was just a little off. I don't really expect that again. I think it was part fluke, part injuries, and alot of bad QB'ing.

Yeah D'Brick was off last year, but I think the OL as a whole was just a little off. I don't really expect that again. I think it was part fluke, part injuries, and alot of bad QB'ing.

Part of me thinks a unit like the OL is where you saw the greatest impact from the lack of offseason last year, and Brick is probably the most extreme example of how it can be an issue. Since day one it's been widely reported what issues he's had keeping his weight up on his own, it was a major issue with him his rookie year, and it was said how he needed his diet and workout routine managed by the team. Not to mention like you said, the entire line was clearly off their game, which was at least in part due to pretty serious injuries to, at minimum, all of their interior linemen. I really think he'll be fine going forward and while I certainly wouldn't count on it, I wouldn't even be overly surprised if the Jets could get something more out of one of the OL currently on the roster at RT.

Give more money upfront to Holmes? No F N way. I just want this guy to get thru the guaranteed money the Jets already owe him so they can unload him with out killing the team

http://aggbot.com/New-York-Jets-News/article/16235500

Saves the Jets 7.5 Mil. This is great to hear, I expect Eric Smith, Sanchez, and possibly Cro to do the same.

Every player on the team would say yes to a restructure like this, it doesn't change his current years salary, it just gives him a lump sum check now instead of it being spread out, it also gives the player security, it makes it more difficult to cut someone that does this because of the cap ramifications on the team in the future. A guy like Cro is not the player you want to be guaranteeing more money on his cap hit 3 years down the road, their are only a couple of players you would/should due this with, the Jets last year did it with a couple of guys they probably shouldn't have in Bart Scott, and Calvin Pace, it raised the cap hit for cutting them this year, but freed up money on last years cap when the Jets were going for broke to win a SB, it didn't pay off, and now the team is stuck with those players regardless. This type of restructure is bad business for the longterm with most players, DBrick not being one of those players thou IMO, so this is a great move. Another guy to due this with would be Harris, but unfortunately it can't be done till July so it won't help us this season, look for 2013's first offseason move to be this with Harris.

Other players who I would be fine with doing a cap move like this, Revis, Mangold, and Sanchez (if THE FRONT OFFICE believes he is the QB for 2012, and 2013. Might as well save the cap space now with him to get more pieces to help the Jets win. Like I said front offices opinion no one else's, if they believe this then it's a no brainer). There is no other player on the roster that I would be comfortable restructuring, that is worth restructuring, IE Holmes, and Cro, they can't be trusted to be here through their whole contract, and still be helping the team.

Archived