Could Dolphins Tight End Anthony Fasano Wind Up As A Jet

JetNation

Post image for Could Dolphins Tight End Anthony Fasano Wind Up As A Jet

While tight end Anthony Fasano is still a member of the Miami Dolphins there have been rumors about his possible release for quite a while.  Fasano is known for his blocking abilities but can still be utilized as a receiver, 32 receptions, 451 yards and 5 touchdowns, last season with the 6-10 Dolphins. 

He certainly knows the Jets new offensive system as Tony Sparano Jets offensive coordinator was Fasano’s previous head coach.  The Jets have been in the market for a quality blocking tight end to help their rushing attack.  Fasano’s blocking abilities would certainly complement Dustin Keller’s strength as a receiver, with both Keller and Fasano the offense would have the versatility Sparano desires. 

There is only one problem Fasano is still on the Dolphins roster but some signs point towards a parting between the team and their tight end. 

The Palm Beach Post has reported that Fasano’s skill set does not fit with new Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin’s “up tempo” west coast offense.  The Dolphins also used a third round draft pick on Missouri tight end Michael Egnew and have said they would like to feature fullback/tight end Charles Clay more in the passing offense.  They also have several prospects at the position that could challenge Fasano in training camp.

Then the last and most prominent reason Fasano may get released is his salary.  Going into his final contract year the Dolphins could save $3.6 million if they were to let him go.

It remains to be seen if Fasano will be released but unlike other players, the Jets missed out on because of better waiver claims, Fasano would immediately become an unrestricted free agent and not be subject to the waiver system.  The Jets would certainly jump at a chance to obtain Fasano and given the situation with the Dolphins that opportunity may become possible.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be nice. Training camp cuts and the Jets will be interesting. There's probably a better way to write that but too late to turn back now.

Funny. But I do agree. I am looking forward to the rapidly changin landscape when the cuts begin. I wonder how long the aussie lasts if Fasano is signed. I would like that pickup a lot.

Funny. But I do agree. I am looking forward to the rapidly changin landscape when the cuts begin. I wonder how long the aussie lasts if Fasano is signed. I would like that pickup a lot.

If the Aussie's got anything, and he might, he could bounce on and off the PS all season

I saw a blurb on Rotoworld about how Fasano doesn't fit in Miami the other day. Can't remember if I posted it here or not, but he'd easily be one of the top additions of the offseason if we somehow landed him.

Just the type of TE we need.

Would love this. Keller is about as reliable as someone who is not very reliable.

(A lot of thought went into that one)

Too much Bushmills. I have an ice cream headache after figuring out this one. :winking0001:

I would be thrilled if we got Fasano -- perfect fit for us.

Love the idea! Keller is not a blocking TE at all, anyone who thinks so is kidding there self! with a rookie most likely our #2 wr that would give us the option to put keller out at a WR more often and run 2 te sets and could actually RUN or PASS! Love the idea! and mike be able to help Keller learn how to block a little bit!

If the Aussie's got anything, and he might, he could bounce on and off the PS all season

That's most likely the plan anyway. They gave him a two year contract so they think he's got something, but I can't see them wasting a roster spot for a guy who they know will never see the field. PS at best....or maybe they are trying to make him into a ST monster under westy. That might be something to consider

Sign This Beast and I agree with Mick he could end up being the starter over The Invisible Man (Keller) who will NEVER be any more than he already is, which is very inconsistent. Dustin Keller is the Bryan Thomas of the offense-he'll have a big game or two and then will disappear for a month before he has another one or two...rinse and repeat the same scenario. Fasano is tougher and a REAL TE not a hybrid H-back/FB/Flanker playing the TE position.

Sign This Beast and I agree with Mick he could end up being the starter over The Invisible Man (Keller) who will NEVER be any more than he already is, which is very inconsistent. Dustin Keller is the Bryan Thomas of the offense-he'll have a big game or two and then will disappear for a month before he has another one or two...rinse and repeat the same scenario. Fasano is tougher and a REAL TE not a hybrid H-back/FB/Flanker playing the TE position.

So Fasano >>>> Keller???

Uh... no.

The inconsistent TE has led the Jets in receiving the last two years. He's not Gates or Gonzalez, but he's good. And he and Sanchez are on the same page. Unlike with Holmes, you never see Sanchez throw the ball to a different spot than where Keller decided to go.

Fasano could be a decent addition, and could see significant playing time here if the Jets find themselves uncomfortable with either Hill or Schilens as the #2 WR, but he's not supplanting Keller.

As a true Tight End JiF? Yea I do think so...

No way. I mean for the same thing you knock Dustin for, you can knock Fasano for as well. Dude will have a game where he has 2 TD's and then wont catch a pass for 3. Fasano has never even had 40 receptions in a season, a number Keller's never had less than.

I dont know even know what you mean by a "real" TE. There's a ton more value in a pass catching TE than there is a guy like Fasano. How often do you think Jimmy Graham is asked to block? Give me a TE who's a mismatch down field than a guy who can block and occasionally catch a pass any day.

All I know is this: we Jets fans have always had a tendency to overrate our own players, and I think that Dustin Keller is one more case in point. I also think that if we had a guy like Fasano last year then Wayne Hunter's woes (and ours) would have been a lot less glaring. Keller and Mulligan gave us NO help on that right side

All I know is this: we Jets fans have always had a tendency to overrate our own players, and I think that Dustin Keller is one more case in point. I also think that if we had a guy like Fasano last year then Wayne Hunter's woes (and ours) would have been a lot less glaring. Keller and Mulligan gave us NO help on that right side

I've had not had the same experiences. Especially here. This board has turned a once cynical pessimist into a constant defender of the team because of how poorly we talk about our roster. Hell, this is the same fan base that thinks Curtis Martin sucks when nearly everyone you talk to think he's was one of the most underrated RB's of our time.

fasano doesn't replace keller he replaces mulligan. this has nothing to do with Keller, who by the way is Mark Sanchez's security blanket and the team's leading receiver last year.

I do believe the Jets #2 TE isn't on the roster yet, regardless of this situation. Watch the SF camp closely, they have a TE glut including the younger brother of Brent Celek. Not all of these guys are gonna make that team.

Yes and no. If he was playing for another team, putting up the numbers he has with a similarly dogsh*tty QB, people would be crucifying the team for not getting someone as good as Keller.

Got to totally disagree. Sometimes walk on FA's are overrated here, but established players on the roster are usually crucified here.

Keller is a good TE who has some flaws in the blocking aspect of the game. As far as a receiver goes he is good. Unless Cumberland steps up, possible, but not likely, or he demands top dollar, he will also be the starting TE next season. I'm good with that

Got to totally disagree. Sometimes walk on FA's are overrated here, but established players on the roster are usually crucified here.

Keller is a good TE who has some flaws in the blocking aspect of the game. As far as a receiver goes he is good. Unless Cumberland steps up, possible, but not likely, or he demands top dollar, he will also be the starting TE next season. I'm good with that

Completely agree with this. Keller definitely gets a whole ton of crap considering he's been the Jets top receiving option for years now. I think it's pretty easy to see, given how little credit he's gotten when having easily the best season of his career last year, while showing a major improvement in the one area he's so often criticized and has even been in this thread, his consistency. Outside of one two game stretch of Bal/NE (the former being a complete disaster for every single member of the offense), Keller's season was about as consistent as you could hope for, especially considering the unbelievably inconsistent QB play he's dealt with in his career. He may not be elite, but he's still a pretty damn good receiver at TE.

Vlad is going to be the blocking TE this year. Fasano is the Fish's starter, he will most likely be asking for to much money.

Of course there is the possibility that Sparano loves him, and he is willing to play cheap then, who knows?

A complete TE is, and has been, a huge need on this team. Keller is woefully miscast as an inline tight end and would benefit the most by being able to move around and run a route without having a linebacker punch him in the face on every snap. Sanchez, too, needs a legit outlet receiver who can get open underneath.

Uh... no.

The inconsistent TE has led the Jets in receiving the last two years. He's not Gates or Gonzalez, but he's good. And he and Sanchez are on the same page. Unlike with Holmes, you never see Sanchez throw the ball to a different spot than where Keller decided to go.

Fasano could be a decent addition, and could see significant playing time here if the Jets find themselves uncomfortable with either Hill or Schilens as the #2 WR, but he's not supplanting Keller.

So, now you're agreeing with me that Sanchez likes to throw short? On another thread you claimed that Sanchez only threw short because he didn't have good targets once Edwards left. Right. Edwards was with the Jets in 2010. I believe Cotchery was also a Jet in 2010. Yet, a TE who wouldn't be confused with Gronkowski, Gates or Gonzalez was his favorite target. So, explain to me again how Sanchez doesn't like to throw short.

There's a reason that why Sanchez's YPA has declined, and it's because he favors throwing safe passes to his check-down receiver, who is usually a TE or RB, rather than going downfield, and that trend started in the second half of 2010 when he still some good WRs as targets.

So, now you're agreeing with me that Sanchez likes to throw short? On another thread you claimed that Sanchez only threw short because he didn't have good targets once Edwards left. Right. Edwards was with the Jets in 2010. I believe Cotchery was also a Jet in 2010. Yet, a TE who wouldn't be confused with Gronkowski, Gates or Gonzalez was his favorite target. So, explain to me again how Sanchez doesn't like to throw short.

There's a reason that why Sanchez's YPA has declined, and it's because he favors throwing safe passes to his check-down receiver, who is usually a TE or RB, rather than going downfield, and that trend started in the second half of 2010 when he still some good WRs as targets.

The only difference between you and Aqua4ever is a suntan. You've made your point, now run along and let the adults talk.

So are you trying to say it is your belief that a QB is incapable of throwing both long and short passes over the course of an NFL season?

I'd also love to hear your explanation as to how exactly Keller qualifies solely as a check down receiver, yet he has had his YPC continue to increase every year of his career, even despite the decline in Sanchez's YPA. That would seem to suggest the exact opposite of what you're saying, and rather that Sanchez has come to more heavily rely on Keller as a deeper option as time has gone on. The idea that a TE would be considered one of a team's best deep threats would seem to support the point that personnel was an issue for the Jets deep passing game last year.

Actually what the trend usually is... Established players are crucified, as you put it, by the fans, and then those same fans often completely melt down when those same players get moved for apparent roster improvements.

It's pretty much Jekyll and Hyde within our fan base. Bitch about players sucking, but then bitch about getting rid of those players for the sake of aggressively trying to improve.

Archived