Report: Darrelle Revis Will Report to Camp

GATA

Post image for Report: Darrelle Revis Will Report to Camp

ESPN New York has reported that cornerback Darrelle Revis will not holdout and is going to arrive at training camp as scheduled.

For the last couple of months, the media has speculated that Revis would not show up to camp for the second time in three years. Revis has fueled these rumors, saying things like he didn’t know if he’d hold out or not.

This is just a report and we’ll only really be certain when Revis actually arrives in Cortland in next Thursday. Maybe Revis really was considering holding out again and has decided against it, or maybe he just enjoyed throwing fuel on the fire. Either way, this report is an encouraging sign, since Revis is considered to be the best cornerback in the league and the Jets are better off moving forward with him than without him.

di
di

ZEh0dau_cx8

View the full article

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8186079/new-york-jets-darrelle-revis-plans-show-training-camp-time-report-says

"This is an intermediate step to what we hope is an entire career of Darrelle as a Jet," Tannenbaum said at the time, "for him to retire a Jet, for him to hopefully go to the Hall of Fame one day as a Jet and for him to be in our ring of honor."

One major deterrent in the contract might have helped Revis make his decision. If he skipped camp, the current deal would be automatically extended by three years. The daily fines for not being at the mandatory camp and the potential public backlash might have also played a role.

:character0069:

Mmmm let's see if he comes to Camp on day two. Since he'd make his camp bonus for turning up day one.

I also think Roscoe's could see some action, they are going to have to sort the situation sooner rather than later. Pay the man he's the best we've ever had.

What's funny is that this is being reported by "ESPN.com news service" and I don't see Cimini's name anywhere near this. But just the other day he said that all he and the rest of the media does is report the news. Considering he's been the one constantly fueling the fire about this holdout, he can't be too happy about this story. I'm not surprised he wasn't the one who wrote it.

So what are the chances that Tannenbaum takes the initiative and has a new deal for Revis before next season when he's all but guaranteed to hold out?

If they can't reach a deal by training camp next season, Revis is very tradable under his current contract... So either Revis will be in camp for the Jets next year, or on another team. Hopefully Tanny finds a way to keep him here without sacrificing too much.

So what are the chances that Tannenbaum takes the initiative and has a new deal for Revis before next season when he's all but guaranteed to hold out?

He has already failed to do so. Diner Mike could've done the same thing in January or any time thereafter. Or he could've dealt Revis for something worthwhile(Brees?). Instead we get this pointless drama when both parties knew back then what the numbers would be.

Probably zero, which is smart. If this particular defense isn't good enough to carry this particular offense in 2012, we're better off throwing some feelers out there come draft time because we can probably get a king's ransom for him.

Probably zero, which is smart. If this particular defense isn't good enough to carry this particular offense in 2012, we're better off throwing some feelers out there come draft time because we can probably get a king's ransom for him.

That'd be ballsy by Tannenbaum. If the team implodes this year because of the offense, will he even be around to deal with a Revis trade? Probably, because Woody is a ****stick.

He has already failed to do so. Diner Mike could've done the same thing in January or any time thereafter. Or he could've dealt Revis for something worthwhile(Brees?). Instead we get this pointless drama when both parties knew back then what the numbers would be.

I can imagine Tannenbaum telling his boys, "See Revis there? I got him playing for 7.5 this year. Seven. Point. Five. Who da man?"

I hope this doesn't cut down on the number of posts trashing the best player to ever slap on a Jets uniform. That would really bring this place down.

The fact that it's "news" that he's reporting to camp shows how ridiculous his antics have been the last few years.

Revis was the best corner in football for our 8-8 Jets last year.. yay.

tbh I'm way more excited to see this D-line in action as well as what I hope to be a break out year from the Sanchize.

That'd be ballsy by Tannenbaum. If the team implodes this year because of the offense, will he even be around to deal with a Revis trade? Probably, because Woody is a ****stick.

Tannenbaum isn't going anywhere after this season and barring a complete implosion neither is Rex.

Tannenbaum isn't going anywhere after this season and barring a complete implosion neither is Rex.

Tanny could get canned if the season was a disaster. Short of 2 and 14, Rex is safe. Honestly he would probably even survive that.

Non-issue though, this team is ready to go....

Sayyyyyyyy Sanchez gets killed by Mario Williams and Tebow leads the Jets to a 6-10 season, there might be some uncomfortable moments in the Johnson-Tannenbaum nuptials, I'd imagine.

Same as the chances of you not finding a way to trash him even if he does get the deal done. None.

The fact that it's "news" that he's reporting to camp shows how ridiculous his antics have been the last few years.

Revis was the best corner in football for our 8-8 Jets last year.. yay.

tbh I'm way more excited to see this D-line in action as well as what I hope to be a break out year from the Sanchize.

It's only "news" because the media created a story where Revis might hold out, but... they were wrong. If Revis was just fvcking with them with his non-answers to their questions about showing up this year, I applaud him. Give 'em enough rope, as they say.

I'm excited about DL and QB positions as well, but that's due to expectations, hope, and underlying uncertainty. It's not the same with Revis, who I simply expect to go out and be the best CB in football. While other teams are putting together elaborate gameplans to stop the great WRs in the league, the Jets will just line Revis up one-on-one with them and not worry about it. I agree, it's pretty ho-hum.

There is a better chance Revis holds out this season (and as Ive gone over his reporting to camp does not necessarily mean he will stay in camp) than next year because of the nature of the contract. I think alot depends on just what Revis feels he will get on the open market (Id imagine 13 million per year max unless the Redskins or Raiders have cap room) and how much the Jets really value him and how bad a PR hit it would be if they let him walk. If they think its worth tying up that much money in a corner they will do it before training camp since it gives them more leeway with cap numbers since Revis has 3 million in offseason money coming his way. The Jets need cap relief and those $3 million rolled into another bonus gives them $2.4 million in cap relief. The big money then would kick in in 2014. I had originally thought they would force him to honor all his dates first but with the cap not increasing at all I dont think thats an option anymore. This option gives them a chance to keep Cro for the last year of his deal, whereas the make him wait until training camp and then sign him probably means the team needs to trade Cromartie.

Revis holds all the cards next year once camp is over. He fulfilled all his obligations and the Jets are in bad shape if he walks. Its a cap issue because of the nature of the deal. He can refuse to negotiate with the Jets until March and if he does so the Jets get a $9 million dead cap charge in 2014. Thats a huge amount to carry on your cap. They could not trade him to avoid that either since there are no trades allowed until the new league year at which point his deal would be void. All they would get is a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. They could trade him in 2013 if they want to blow things up, but, again, because of the cap its prohibitive. If you did it to earn a pick in 2013 the dead cap is then $12 million. That would officially mean the Jets are in rebuilding mode meaning they would be cutting more than Revis. Thats probably the end for Pouha, Harris (who I think is going to be shopped regardless next year if the new kid they drafted works out), Holmes, and maybe Cro. It would be a firesale with most of the top cap guys being shipped off the team to simply fix the books for 2014.

The way we picked up big name, relatively big dollar, over the hill talent the last few years... if we dump the best defensive player in the league over money it would mean that this organization is ass backwards and full of helmet head, drooling, imbeciles.

There is a better chance Revis holds out this season (and as Ive gone over his reporting to camp does not necessarily mean he will stay in camp) than next year because of the nature of the contract. I think alot depends on just what Revis feels he will get on the open market (Id imagine 13 million per year max unless the Redskins or Raiders have cap room) and how much the Jets really value him and how bad a PR hit it would be if they let him walk. If they think its worth tying up that much money in a corner they will do it before training camp since it gives them more leeway with cap numbers since Revis has 3 million in offseason money coming his way. The Jets need cap relief and those $3 million rolled into another bonus gives them $2.4 million in cap relief. The big money then would kick in in 2014. I had originally thought they would force him to honor all his dates first but with the cap not increasing at all I dont think thats an option anymore. This option gives them a chance to keep Cro for the last year of his deal, whereas the make him wait until training camp and then sign him probably means the team needs to trade Cromartie.

Revis holds all the cards next year once camp is over. He fulfilled all his obligations and the Jets are in bad shape if he walks. Its a cap issue because of the nature of the deal. He can refuse to negotiate with the Jets until March and if he does so the Jets get a $9 million dead cap charge in 2014. Thats a huge amount to carry on your cap. They could not trade him to avoid that either since there are no trades allowed until the new league year at which point his deal would be void. All they would get is a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. They could trade him in 2013 if they want to blow things up, but, again, because of the cap its prohibitive. If you did it to earn a pick in 2013 the dead cap is then $12 million. That would officially mean the Jets are in rebuilding mode meaning they would be cutting more than Revis. Thats probably the end for Pouha, Harris (who I think is going to be shopped regardless next year if the new kid they drafted works out), Holmes, and maybe Cro. It would be a firesale with most of the top cap guys being shipped off the team to simply fix the books for 2014.

None of this sounds good.

None of this sounds good.

Its a year away so who knows but its a deal where the Jets are kind of forced to keep him at almost any cost that isnt crazy (the team is better off with a 9 million cap penalty than a 15 million cap charge in year 1 of a deal, which is normally one of the lower cap years). I think Rex really backed the Jets into a corner on the last deal with all the yammering about Revis being the best of all time and basically forcing the Jets to get him back on the field because Cro and Wilson looked horrendous in the preseason and he panicked. So instead of dealing with 1 extension, which would have happened this year with Revis carrying something like a $17 million cap charge on the old deal that needed to be reworked for cap relief, the Jets will need to deal with 2 extensions and 3 offseasons of holdout distractions. I think its why Rex basically has the clamps on his mouth about how beyond awesome each player is now and how all are needed at any cost. I think he was just naive with the business side of the NFL and it screwed the team up.

What the Jets have to hope for this season is that either Asomugha gets mildly hurt in Philly, which will de-escalate his base next year and thus his annual value or that Aso continues to be terrible when teams choose to throw on him, leading to the Eagles to either cut him or negotiate his salary down, With the Aso deal as it stands, Revis is going to realistically get a deal between 13 and 15 million, which is absurd for a corner, even one as good as Revis. If Aso gets brought back to the pack Revis is going to net between 12 and 13 which is far better for the team.

Jason, that's some depressing stuff right there. Unless Revis breaks his leg, they're essentially tied to giving him $12+ per? I got a little lost with the timeline you presented.

Also, if you were Tanny, how would you proceed?

Here are the various scenarios and how they would play out without a new deal from a cap perspective:

2013- $9 million to remain on the team and play out contract

2014- $9 million in dead money if no new contract is signed before the 2013 Super Bowl

2013- $12 million in dead money to cut/trade before March 5

2014- $0 cap charge

2013- $5 million in dead money to cut trade after June 1, but before training camp

2014- $9 million in dead money

2013- $6 million in dead money to cut after training camp

2014- $9 million in dead money

Almost any way you slice it that dead money is devastating if he can not be re-signed. It gives him tremendous leverage to name his price because the Jets cant afford that $9 million charge in 2014 unless they go into full rebuild and operate the year with all young guys.

If it was me and assuming Revis plays really well again, Id be approaching his guys as soon as 2013 was complete and try to sign him to a 5 year extension. Because of the way contract valuations work you can make both sides somewhat happy. Say you give Revis a deal thats a 5 year/15 million extension, the real value the Jets will pay is 6 years at 13 million a year because he is also agreeing to honor the 2014 league year at his $3 million base. Every day the Jets wait that total number grows as does the cap charge, because of the bonuses in his contract. Thats not to say Id go that high, but you get the idea. There are also ways that they could minimize the backend pain of dead money there too and realistically make it a much shorter deal.

If he wants to be paid a ridiculous amount of money Id probably explore trading him in 2013 before the league year gets underway and you owe him that roster bonus. If someone is willing to give up a 1 you have to take it at that point and at least get something for him without paying him another penny, even though it might mess up my cap. If the Jets dont mind paying him more cash then the better option is to trade after June 1 but before camp opens. The team will get some cap relief in 2013 that can be carried over to lessen the blow of the 9 million in dead money he would count for in 2014 under that scenario. The negative of that is Woody pays him an extra $2 million just to get cap benefits (which is kind of crazy) along with a draft pick.

The other option is to give him the designation of a June 1 cut in 2013. This is a much more complex situation. That would be a rough move to watch play out, though financially it would be in the teams best interest. The way that works is you name the player a June 1 cut. In the interim he counts on your books ($9 million in cap) meaning you get no cap relief for free agency. The fans would have to watch their star sign with another team while the Jets could do nothing in free agency because of the cap. But they would not have to pay him a dime and the way the cap would work post June 1 would be as follows:

2013- $3 million dead cap

2014- $9 million dead cap

That frees us $6 million off the Jets 2013 books which you would simply earmark for 2014 making the net cap effect of cutting Revis $3 million and $3 million. There is no way you could sell that explanation to the media or the fans because its way too involved to explain. They would get killed for bad cap management dictating decisions when its actually a good cap move, but a poor personnel decision since you get nothing in return. I dont think I would go that route because it would probably destroy whatever good will the team had built up with the fans these last few years. Better off Linning him and painting him as a greedy SOB that would destroy the long term financial future of the team by demanding to be paid way outside of the normal number put on his position and then point to all the team making bad choices (Raiders with Aso) and how it led to bad seasons.

Archived