Adam Schefter: "People within the Jets organization pushed for Simms to be the starter"

Matt39

I think Simms should have been named the starter. Geno is CLEARLY not ready yet, and Simms' accuracy and decision-making looked very on-point in the one extended outing we saw him in. Yes, it was against backups, but that's not the point. The point is that he has a lot of zip on his balls, he places it PERFECTLY in receivers' hands, and he doesn't seem to make many bad decisions.

I want Simms to be the starter of this team. I truly believe in him, which I can't say for Geno, Sanchez, and Quinn. Those three seem to have their confidence shattered too easily, and it clearly affects them on the field.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Simms should have been named the starter. Geno is CLEARLY not ready yet, and Simms' accuracy and decision-making looked very on-point in the one extended outing we saw him in. Yes, it was against backups, but that's not the point. The point is that he has a lot of zip on his balls, he places it PERFECTLY in receivers' hands, and he doesn't seem to make many bad decisions.

I want Simms to be the starter of this team. I truly believe in him, which I can't say for Geno, Sanchez, and Quinn. Those three seem to have their confidence shattered too easily, and it clearly affects them on the field.

I don't know if I believe in him, but the Pats game would have been the perfect scenario for Simms to get a shot.  if he played poorly, back to the drawing board.  Want to see him get a shot before the Brady Quinn era begins.

Put simms in....let's see what he can do...if he is good then you can focus on surrounding cast in 2014 draft. If he is average keep him for back up. As it stands now you have to use 1st pick in 2014 on qb.

Wait what?

I'm not a huge Geno fan, but it's been two games and he's shown promise. There is no reason to turn to Simms at this point. None.

Put simms in....let's see what he can do...if he is good then you can focus on surrounding cast in 2014 draft. If he is average keep him for back up. As it stands now you have to use 1st pick in 2014 on qb.

Weren't you the one freaking out about losing a game to the patriots by 3, yet now all of a sudden you're willing to throw Simms in just to see what we have?  He starts and I guarantee you're calling for even more heads after we lose by 20+ when he can't orchestrate a drive past mid-field.

Weren't you the one freaking out about losing a game to the patriots by 3, yet now all of a sudden you're willing to throw Simms in just to see what we have?  He starts and I guarantee you're calling for even more heads after we lose by 20+ when he can't orchestrate a drive past mid-field.[/quote

I don't think geno will ever be better than average...there is a lot og good qb coming out next year. I thought it was a waste of a pick as they should have just picked up a qb in 3rd or 4th round and worked on a offense suuporting cast. Rb, te, wr, etc...

I have my opinion... u have urs.. let's see how this plays out.

Weren't you the one freaking out about losing a game to the patriots by 3, yet now all of a sudden you're willing to throw Simms in just to see what we have?  He starts and I guarantee you're calling for even more heads after we lose by 20+ when he can't orchestrate a drive past mid-field.

Btw... patriots suck too

Just reported on ESPN. Jets ultimately couldnt pull the trigger because of the apparent PR nightmare that it would have caused.

Said to keep an eye on Simms if Geno continues to struggle.

Ugh.

lol i guess public perception is more important then actual competition

Has been since D1 of Woody owning this team, the man comes from one of the greatest brand, marketing, pr families in our history. 

Very interesting.  Simms could be a starter in this league (potentially).  McElroy couldn't.  That is why you keep Simms.  Arm strength will get you every time.

Plus, he has a good eye to read Defenses, Something Gino Does not & it shows.

Thank you Max & everyone wondered why I stuck my head out & Took Matt Sims late in my draft this year.

It may have come off as a joke - In truth, it was a statement - Gino Smith is not the answer for this team, even in transition.  He's Idzik's Pick in this years Draft & in a push comes to shove match, Woody Johnson is going to side with his GM over Rex. 

Gino's time is coming in 3 weeks time when every NFL team will have enough of his gameplay on tape to feed to their NFL computers - and once that's done - we lose the entire second half of the season.

- It's Just that simple folks...

Nobody is going to bench Smith anytime soon unless this organization is a complete joke.   He's a 2nd round pick that everybody treats like a first rounder.  He was the 2nd QB taken in the damn draft and he was given a fair chance to win the job with Sanchez.  Sanchez got hurt and he took over.  Nobody gave Simms a chance to start. Fair or not, that's just the way it works.  He's a guy who was fighting to be on the team, not a guy who was fighting to start.   Can he one day be a starter? Who knows.  Kurt Warner was stocking shelves at one point in his life.    But this year, you don't bench Smith unless he gets hurt.   He was thrown to the wolves as a starter and you live or die with the guy.   If he sucks, the Jets have a bad season and you know he's not the qb of the future.   If he improves, then you might have a qb of the future.  Who knows.

But if you bench Smith after week 5, and Simms sucks against starters, and you wind up benching him and throwing Quinn into the mix, what the hell was the point?  

Teams that do that wind up like the Cleveland Browns or Jags.   You never really have anything.   

Wait what?

I'm not a huge Geno fan, but it's been two games and he's shown promise. There is no reason to turn to Simms at this point. None.

Through 2 games Smiths numbers are worse that Sanchezs first 2 starts. Lower completion %, more INTS and sacks.

Smith is having the same problem all running QBs have. He wants to take off and run.

Through 2 games Smiths numbers are worse that Sanchezs first 2 starts. Lower completion %, more INTS and sacks.

Smith is having the same problem all running QBs have. He wants to take off and run.

The offense surrounding Smith is worse than Sanchez too. Smith was a 2nd round pick as well, patience is needed.

Simms was an average college QB who has had pretty bad reputation.

Smith was not a running QB at WV.  He has stated he doesn't like to run.  He has good straight line speed, but he won't run unless flushed.

One of the problems he is having is field vision.   Not seeing open receivers (when they get open) then getting happy feet.  Maybe he'll get over it, maybe not

Smith was not a running QB at WV.  He has stated he doesn't like to run.  He has good straight line speed, but he won't run unless flushed.

One of the problems he is having is field vision.   Not seeing open receivers (when they get open) then getting happy feet.  Maybe he'll get over it, maybe not

Duh, he's a black QB so that means he wants to run.  We are just living in denial.  All of us. 

Now be polite and thank the nice Patriots fan for showing us what we have thus far refused to see.

The offense surrounding Smith is worse than Sanchez too. Smith was a 2nd round pick as well, patience is needed.

Simms was an average college QB who has had pretty bad reputation.

Actually I would argue that Smith is in a better situation than Sanchez was last year or year before that even

Marty Mornhinweg vs Miami Cast off dumbo           check SMITH

2012 OL   vs 2013 OL                                            check SMITH (granted slightly better due to more experience for RT and Colon over slausen)

2012 WR  vs 2013 WR                                           check SMITH (Has Holmes) 

2012 RB   vs 2013 RB                                            too soon to tell but you would hope SMITH lets say push for now

2012 TE   vs 2013 TE                                             too soon to tell but I give SMITH edge

it the was the defense that had 7 new starters

I was referencing Smith's rookie vs. Sanchez's rookie year.

Actually I would argue that Smith is in a better situation than Sanchez was last year or year before that even

2012 OL   vs 2013 OL                                            check SMITH (granted slightly better due to more experience for RT and Colon over slausen)

2012 WR  vs 2013 WR                                           check SMITH (Has Holmes) 

2012 RB   vs 2013 RB                                            too soon to tell but you would hope SMITH lets say push for now

2012 TE   vs 2013 TE                                             too soon to tell but I give SMITH edge

As long as Smith is the starter, the comparison should be to Tannehill not Sanchez.   I think skill wise there are fairly similar and while Tannehill was a top 10 pick, Geno plays in the NY media market.   

So far they are pretty similar....if Geno makes the same mistakes in week 15 then there is a problem.   If he improves then he has the chance to establish himself as the starter heading into the offseason.  

This is a re-building year.    It's unfortunate but true, especially considering the defense looks pretty good.   

We need to start handing the ball to Ivory more. There's no reason Geno should be dropping back 35 times in a game that would have been won with field goals. Ivory will eventually bust one.

It was 35 pass attempts.  He also got sacked 4x and scrambled 1 more.  That's 40x.  

Agree with you it's too much, and was unnecessary in a close game.  Ivory was doing fine, the fumble notwithstanding, since Hill(?) picked it up.  I could see if we were trailing and they were stuffing the run like Tampa was, or if Smith & his receivers were having a field day, but none of these was the case (let alone each of them).  It was a close game and we were running effectively (4.0 ypc without one massive run skewing the "average").  

Should have been 40 runs to 30 pass attempts, not the other way around.

While it was already pointed out that the initial comparison wasn't versus last year, this list is still kind of ridiculous.  There is no measurable means by which this year's OL can be considered better than last year's.  Slauson was replaced by Vlad (not Colon), who he had beaten out for the starting job for 3 straight years prior to this.  Colon replaced Moore.  At best maybe it's a wash, but at this point I can't see how you don't give the edge to last year's OL, at least for now.  We'll see how Winters turns out.

As far as the WRs go, it's pretty much the same guys.  While Holmes is back, he's also not completely healthy, had no training camp or preseason, and so has hardly looked like his old self.  On the flip side Kerley, last year's leading WR, was out of the game this week.  Once everyone is back and at 100% I'd agree you give this year's group the edge, but that's not currently the case.

The point isn't that Sanchez was in a great situation last year, because he certainly wasn't, but to act like Geno has it so much better is laughable.  Not to mention, this group doesn't even come close to comparing to what Sanchez was given for at least his first two (if not three) years in the league.

Should have been 40 runs to 30 pass attempts, not the other way around.

G&P is dead. I can't believe people want to go back to a failed strategy. Geno is getting big boy treatment and big boy play calling. That's better than sheltering a player for 3-4 years only to discover he's a buttfumbler. 

Archived