Have you accepted Geno as your QB and savior?

T0mShane

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Get behind him, people. Train is leaving the station.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Is there a lounge car?

Good post TS

We should also be happy with the development of Hill (who looked very good today) and Jeff Cumberland. This Nelson kid looks the part as well. If this team can get a top notch number one WR next year and fill the rest of the holes through the draft we will be looking at a very impressive young team moving forward

I've accepted the idea, but not sold. Hopefully after looking the brochure over for a few more weeks I'll accept, and bow down to the holy one!

Good post TS

We should also be happy with the development of Hill (who looked very good today) and Jeff Cumberland. This Nelson kid looks the part as well. If this team can get a top notch number one WR next year and fill the rest of the holes through the draft we will be looking at a very impressive young team moving forward

Would you be willing to part with TB's 3rd round selection to move up and grab Mike Evans (or insert your favorite WR in the draft), because the Jets will win to many games to have a chance at the big 3 WR's.

Geno is our QB moving forward.  But he's no franchise QB.  He's a nice QB who can do well at times and suck donkey balls other times.  He'll never be a Brady, Manning (non-retarded one) Marino or Elway.  But he'll hopefully be good enough to help guide a good offense with a killer D to a championship.

Do you have to be a HoF QB to be a Franchise QB?  And isn't it a tad too early to cap Geno's potential?  

Do you have to be a HoF QB to be a Franchise QB?  And isn't it a tad too early to cap Geno's potential?  

Of course its early, but rarely do QB's go from barely above average to superstar.

And yes, in my book a real franchise QB is a HOF'er, not some average or above average QB.  He's a superstar.  I dont see that in Geno.  I see him as a nice QB who can do some good but will never be a star.

Grit. Racist.  

Totally agree though.

Of course its early, but rarely do QB's go from barely above average to superstar.

And yes, in my book a real franchise QB is a HOF'er, not some average or above average QB.  He's a superstar.  I dont see that in Geno.  I see him as a nice QB who can do some good but will never be a star.

Is Joe Flacco a franchise QB?

Was Eli Manning?

Rings or no rings, neither is HOF material.  

Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, Ken Anderson, Ken Stabler, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Phil Simms, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Joe Theismann, and others I'm not thinking of.

All franchise QBs.  None are in or will be in the HOF.

A franchise QB is someone who is good enough to get the team to the playoffs, particularly with other pieces to the puzzle in place.  After that, a guy who, in the right place at the right time, has the requisite leadership skills and who can look like a HOF guy on the field during an isolated playoff run here or there.  

People are letting draft status muddy their assessment.

He was rated high for the draft, fell a bit and now some fans are regarding him as journeyman at best because of it.

I see a guy who started out well as a rookie and is improving as the season progresses.  His arm is strong and accurate, especially on long passes, and he runs even better than people hoped for.

Why is everyone sure he's not Hall of Fame bound?

Geno has a gun.  He seemed to be throwing the ball harder yesterday.  /Confidence is growing. But he still has trouble with that mid range pass to the guy in the clear.  He pulls the string on it too much, although Cumberland got a PI on it yesterday.  That is a bit of a touch pass.  I have not seen him throw a ton of screens or touch passes.  But I love the vertical game and the arm strength.  And the willingness and the ability  to run when the D is in man coverage.  Yesterday he seemed to recognize that instinctively and it was a huge weapon.  He can be good, possibly great.

Geno has a gun.  He seemed to be throwing the ball harder yesterday.  /Confidence is growing. But he still has trouble with that mid range pass to the guy in the clear.  He pulls the string on it too much, although Cumberland got a PI on it yesterday.  That is a bit of a touch pass.  I have not seen him throw a ton of screens or touch passes.  But I love the vertical game and the arm strength.  And the willingness and the ability  to run when the D is in man coverage.  Yesterday he seemed to recognize that instinctively and it was a huge weapon.  He can be good, possibly great.

As he gets more comfortable he is planting his feet and stepping into his passes.  His mechanics are very nice and I think he will develop nicer finesses passes as the game continues to slow down for him.

Geno is our QB moving forward. But he's no franchise QB. He's a nice QB who can do well at times and suck donkey balls other times. He'll never be a Brady, Manning (non-retarded one) Marino or Elway. But he'll hopefully be good enough to help guide a good offense with a killer D to a championship.

I think you're looking at about half of what Geno will be, and you gotta like what you see IMO. He has the arm, he has poise, he gets better as the game gets bigger, and he doesn't let mistakes or bad games spiral on him. It remains to be seen how far how can go in terms of reading defenses and anticipating coverages, but he looks great for a guy who's learning on the fly.

That said, I'd almost guarantee that Idzik spends another relatively high pick on a QB next year to insulate the organization in the event that Geno doesn't become a superstar. I'm not talking about burning a 1, but I could see him spending a third on an AJ McCarron-type player, and chasing a vet free agent besides.

That said, I'd almost guarantee that Idzik spends another relatively high pick on a QB next year to insulate the organization in the event that Geno doesn't become a superstar. I'm not talking about burning a 1, but I could see him spending a third on an AJ McCarron-type player, and chasing a vet free agent besides.

You would have to be brain dead if you don;t agree with this.  Let's hope the days of putting all your hopes on one QB and hiring his retarded Uncle to be the 2nd string QB/mentor are over.  Some insurance at the most improtant position on the field is a must nowadays. 

Is Joe Flacco a franchise QB?

Was Eli Manning?

Rings or no rings, neither is HOF material.  

Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, Ken Anderson, Ken Stabler, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Phil Simms, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Joe Theismann, and others I'm not thinking of.

All franchise QBs.  None are in or will be in the HOF.

A franchise QB is someone who is good enough to get the team to the playoffs, particularly with other pieces to the puzzle in place.  After that, a guy who, in the right place at the right time, has the requisite leadership skills and who can look like a HOF guy on the field during an isolated playoff run here or there.  

I just have a different standard than you.  To me a franchise QB is a guy who is perenially a star, not just getting a team to the playoffs... 

I didnt sh!t all over him and say dump his ass because he isnt a HOF'er.  I think he's just above average QB at this point who, if he continues to develop has an outside shot to be a top 10 QB, or could turn like sh!t.

People are letting draft status muddy their assessment.

He was rated high for the draft, fell a bit and now some fans are regarding him as journeyman at best because of it.

I see a guy who started out well as a rookie and is improving as the season progresses.  His arm is strong and accurate, especially on long passes, and he runs even better than people hoped for.

Why is everyone sure he's not Hall of Fame bound?

I only know of one person that keeps bringing up his draft slot as though it means something conclusive.

I think you're looking at about half of what Geno will be, and you gotta like what you see IMO. He has the arm, he has poise, he gets better as the game gets bigger, and he doesn't let mistakes or bad games spiral on him. It remains to be seen how far how can go in terms of reading defenses and anticipating coverages, but he looks great for a guy who's learning on the fly.

There are some things I like and some things that turn my stomach.  The hope is he continues to improve this year and moves forward in year 2.  The fear is he turns into a mediocre QB once teams figure him out.  As far as if he is our QB for the forseeable future?  Yep.  He's earned the right to be the starting QB in 2014.

Lets remember one thing...  People were falling all over each other Sanchez's rookie year because of his poise.   http://deadspin.com/5364180/mark-sanchez-overpraise-poised-to-annoy-the-hell-out-of-us

I just have a different standard than you.  To me a franchise QB is a guy who is perenially a star, not just getting a team to the playoffs... 

I didnt sh!t all over him and say dump his ass because he isnt a HOF'er.  I think he's just above average QB at this point who, if he continues to develop has an outside shot to be a top 10 QB, or could turn like sh!t.

You didn't answer.  Are any of the QBs I mentioned franchise QBs or none of them?

Archived