The Dolphins have a serious bullying problem?

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly certain I've heard every slur known to man in locker rooms(both playing and coaching) from all different races. The light skin black kids get joked on a lot and they generally dish it right back. It's a dynamic I've seen. The Tony Scheffler story was out there...its the dynamic of the locker room. I dont get why we're trying to analyze it. Players police themselves.

The voicemail was left back in April fwiw. 

Fair enough, I don't doubt what you've heard or what has been said, I know crazy things happen in locker rooms. I know players use racial slurs and pejorative terms with their friends, but I've never once seen a hillbilly white boy call another guy a half****** and it go swimmingly. I guess it could happen.  Regardless, it's quite possible and seems more than probable that Martin is off is rocker too, but this seems like more of a poor locker room dynamic than this isolated event. If Incognito knowingly crossed a line, I hope he's punished for it, if not, maybe he'll at least learn that this type of sh*t isn't okay in 2013. 

Generally I would expect a pretty decent amount of hazing in an NFL lockerroom and would figure that this guy is a bit unhinged in the first place to take it so hard, but Richie Incognito is an old school scumbag that probably deserves what is coming to him.   Considering the reports about this prick from when he was with the Rams I'm surprised that any of the players have even remotely stood up for him.

Fair enough, I don't doubt what you've heard or what has been said, I know crazy things happen in locker rooms. I know players use racial slurs and pejorative terms with their friends, but I've never once seen a hillbilly white boy call another guy a half****** and it go swimmingly. I guess it could happen. Regardless, it's quite possible and seems more than probable that Martin is off is rocker too, but this seems like more of a poor locker room dynamic than this isolated event. If Incognito knowingly crossed a line, I hope he's punished for it, if not, maybe he'll at least learn that this type of sh*t isn't okay in 2013.

Would say Incognito is more jersey shore than hillbilly. I don't know the guy but my guess is he's an instigator and was the guy who we all knew in college that was looking to fight. Seems he hasn't grown out of it.

I think language used in the locker room shouldn't be policed by the Deadspins of the world(who seem to have cemented themselves as HR of pro sports) and if Incognito and Martin had a history of using slurs back and forth to eAchother it changes things completely. We saw that story with Tony Scheduler. Whites are generally the minority in the sport and a lot of them are surrounded by the word growing up- just from my experience in coaching...it is used without second looks from white players. Not in the context Riley Cooper used it, but as slang.

And he would have checked in under a phony name like everyone else at the Econolodge. In other words, incognito.

Dude, this is a joke I would crack. So. Bad. LOL

im Marvin Jones dad

Fo real? Congrats, the kid is on fire the past month. Happy for him.

Ive had it out for that POS Ingonito for a while now......seriously this couldn't happen to a nicer guy......i  really dislike him

I wish Marvin Jones was a Jet.

Flgreen -- you are not everyone.  We're all glad you feel compelled to represent all athletes and how they should be tougher.  However given the facts, your insistence to dump on the guy who, at this time at least, seems like a victim is about as off base as it gets.  You're right though, your opinion most certainly does NOT make you an internet bad ass.  It certainly does make you look like a flat out ass, though.  

And since everyone's sharing -- I'm 5'7'' 145 and won't be trying to kick anyones ass behind the keyboard or IRL. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm turned on.

Ex-NFL QB Gannon recalls scaled shakedown of rookies

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports 3:03 p.m. EST November 4, 2013

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon says reports of alleged financial hazing of Miami Dolphins rookies didn't surprise him -- he recalls an Oakland Raiders locker room in which veterans shook down rookies according to how high they were drafted.

"I almost got sick to my stomach at how bad it was," said Gannon, who signed with the Raiders as a free agent in 1999.

"I remember (punter) Shane Lechler and (kicker) Sebastian Janikowski coming to me saying, 'These veteran guys were making these (rookie) guys pay.' I didn't even know about this sub culture that existed: 'OK, you're a first round pick, you pay $10,000; OK, you're a second-round pick – you pay $7,500; you're a third-round pick, you pay this amount of money."

Gannon said he'd seen nothing unexpected in his first NFL stop in Minnesota. "I thought we had a pretty typical locker room, with the older, veteran guys back then, they didn't go out of their way to help the younger guys, they were worried about their jobs."

But in Oakland, the financial hazing of young players by the veterans was unchecked, said Gannon, who played 17 years in the league and is now a CBS analyst.

"They would have these guys go with them to these expensive restaurants in San Francisco and they would literally go in there and try and order the most expensive things off the menu," he said. "The veteran guys would order three entrees, they would order $1,200, $1,500 bottles of wine. They would order the most expensive bottles of champagne.

"Every guy at the table would order a bottle for himself, guys were ordering bottles to take home with them: 'Give me two of those bottles to go.' And they were running up these $30,000, $40,000 tabs at dinner and then have the rookies pay for it."

Because of what he saw, Gannon says, "I have a very strong take on bullying."

Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin, a second-year offensive tackle out of Stanford, left the team last week and has not returned amid reports of bullying by veteran players on the team. On Sunday, the Dolphins suspended veteran guard Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team.

"We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time," the Dolphins said in a statement. "As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

Gannon's recollection dovetails with an account offered by former NFL receiver Nate Jackson in his book, Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile, which was released in September.

Jackson, who had gone undrafted, was cut from the San Francisco 49ers' practice squad as a rookie and signed with the Denver Broncos for the 2003 season.

"Some time after Thanksgiving, we have our offensive rookie dinner, minus the offensive linemen. I've been hearing stories about the previous year's rookie dinner at Del Frisco's steak house. Clinton Portis had flown in some adult entertainers from Miami ...

The was outlandish. The rookies picked up the tab.

"Now that C.P. isn't a rookie anymore, he plans to take full advantage of the situation. He brings some friends and they bring some friends. The book room of Del Frisco's is full. Wine and champagne and cognac are flowing like the rivers of Capistrano.

Ashley Lelie shows up late and orders two bottles of the priceiest wine I've ever see. The waitress starts to cork one of them and Ashley stops her, 'No! No! Don't open it. I'm taking them home.'

"Then he leaves with his loot. The bill's over $26,000, split four ways between the rookie offensive skill position players, none of whom was drafted very high. Jake (Plummer), bless him, feels so bad that he palms me some money to help me pay the bill."

Similar reports have surfaced in Miami and one Dolphins player, defensive lineman Jared Odrick, tweeted a photo of a dinner on Saturday in which he boasted, "Everything tastes better when rookies pay for it."

it sounds like martin is setting up legal action with the treatments and time away from the team

I bet he hits the dolphins and incognito for about 5 mill each and retires and never plays again

Pretty much. Think both of these guys are people you want nowhere near a locker room. One being the straight up meat head a$$hole/scumbag while the other being a two faced manipulative baby.

Pretty much. Think both of these guys are people you want nowhere near a locker room. One being the straight up meat head a$$hole/scumbag while the other being a two faced manipulative baby.

I don't know either guy, but if incognito and gang banger pouncy were threatening his life, I hope he sues their ass off and lives it up on their money as sweet legal revenge

The reality of the situation is that it's up to Martin to break a chair over Incognito's face. No third party is going to save you from being bullied. If you want to stop it, hurt them.

Then you would probably find out just how big a pussy Incognito (Is that his real name or is he traveling under an alias?) is when he slapped Martin with a 2 million dollar civil suit for having his face broken.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that in April of 2013, Incognito left a voicemail for Martin saying, “Hey, wassup, you half n—– piece of [expletive] . . . I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. [i want to] [expletive] in your [expletive] mouth. [i'm going to] slap your [expletive] mouth. [i'm going to] slap your real mother across the face (laughter). [Expletive] you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/04/reports-incognito-left-racial-slur-death-threat-on-martins-voicemail/

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that in April of 2013, Incognito left a voicemail for Martin saying, “Hey, wassup, you half n—– piece of [expletive] . . . I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. [i want to] [expletive] in your [expletive] mouth. [i'm going to] slap your [expletive] mouth. [i'm going to] slap your real mother across the face (laughter). [Expletive] you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/04/reports-incognito-left-racial-slur-death-threat-on-martins-voicemail/

Oh whatever this is just lockerroom bluster.  It's not like Incognito doesn't have a track record of being sociopath his whole life or anything.  SACK UP MARTIN YOU PU$$Y.

So we have cheaters (Patriots), bullies (Dolphins) and murderers (Patriots again) in the AFC East. Then there's the Jets, who are a circus due to their choice of a backup QB. Mmmm...ok.

Did Incognito and Martin both begin the season as starters? Dolphins line must be in shambles.

If this story happened here:

"Rex has lost the locker room"

"Rex needs to be fired for this"

"Rex is letting players run wild"

"Rex is oblivious to what is going on with his team"

Funny how it seems the media storm was much more excoriating and long lasting when it came to us simply because Rex wouldn't start Tebow and allegedly some anonymous players made various and sundry complaints/ negative comments.

Most of the Dolphins are defending him. How is setting him up awesome? The Dolphins are now a national story...its not fair to the guys who had nothing to do with it. Their season is basically sabotaged.

All we can do as responsible members of the Jet fandom society is hope it equals two wins and a playoff birth.  Nice to be watching the circus rather than starrring in it. 

I think, at this point, three things are obvious:

1. Incognito is a sadist and an a$$hole, and probably deserves to spend some time on the couch.

2. Jon Martin is not one of those people that responds to tough love, and Incognito f*cked up by pressing the issue as hard and as long as he did.

3. That no other players stepped in is an indication Ireland has stocked that locker room with a bunch of weak personalities explains why that team has sucked.

So we have cheaters (Patriots), bullies (Dolphins) and murderers (Patriots again) in the AFC East. Then there's the Jets, who are a circus due to their choice of a backup QB. Mmmm...ok.

Did Incognito and Martin both begin the season as starters? Dolphins line must be in shambles.

Now we just need some kind of drug trafficking scandal out of Buffalo or something.

I think, at this point, three things are obvious:

1. Incognito is a sadist and an a$$hole, and probably deserves to spend some time on the couch.

2. Jon Martin is not one of those people that responds to tough love, and Incognito f*cked up by pressing the issue as hard and as long as he did.

3. That no other players stepped in is an indication Ireland has stocked that locker room with a bunch of weak personalities explains why that team has sucked.

You also missed more importantly as a Jets fan, their oline will be much weakened and open to get mauled my the Magnificent Seven!

Anyone defending any of what is going on here may be sociopath themselves. Every NFL analyst that has played the game has said this DOES NOT happen in every locker room, like some people here seem to believe. It is 100% clear that Incognito is a racist hillbilly maniac piece of trash. Whether or not Martin is "tough enough" has nothing to do with it.

Good news is that he will never play another down in the NFL and will most likely be sued. Plus the added bonus that the Dolphins will most likely spiral out of control because nobody in that locker room or front office will be able to keep it together.

I thought that was kind of ****ed up, too. 

I seem to remember one poster in this very thread (who is unsurprisingly backing Incognito) whose racial slur caused a valued poster on JN to leave forever.  

Weird.

Which slur did I use? Where have I backed Incognito? You're a coward, straight up.

Every single mod here voted on what happened and each one had my back. I never used a slur, I made a MIke Tyson Punch Out reference to the  character Von Kaiser, which RJF took as anti-semetic(why, I have zero idea). Unsurprisingly he left JI because of the same reasons. Maybe, just maybe, it might be him.

Hahahahahahahahahaha wow.

Buddy if there's a problem feel free to PM me. Unless you want to disclose this slur I used...I'll keep waiting for that. 

I was never backing Incognito- I was defending the sanctity of the locker room. Something I'd imagine you've never been in.

You beat the living sh*t out of a guy and your job, career and life are put in jeopardy.  It's so easy to say what someone should do when it's not your life hanging in the balance. You have to look at it like a family: if you grew up with four or five brothers and one mercilessly picked on you and if you knew beating the hell out of him would make the rest of your brothers resent and not want to talk to you, sometimes you just take it.  As bad as some of this hazing can be, fear of losing that brotherhood is even worse to most.

Sorry I disagree, I am talking about the locker room not the office. It's one thing to pick up dinner or lunch (which is almost a customary thing in sports) and its another thing to take abuse from a nut job. The guy crossed the line period, and he is lucky that someone hadn't already rearranged his nose. 

Archived