Woody Johnson "happy" with the "direction" of the team

T0mShane

Woody Johnson 'happy' with Jets

Rich Cimini [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | December 8, 2013

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets owner Woody Johnson doesn't sound like a disappointed boss planning to make massive changes in the offseason.

"I'm pretty happy with the way things are going," Johnson said Sunday in a pre-game radio interview with ESPN New York 98.7 FM.

His answer came in response to a question about whether this would be his hardest offseason in terms of having to make tough decisions. Johnson's response would seem to bode well for coach Rex Ryan, whose job security is becoming a hot topic.

The Jets (5-7), who face the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, are mired in a three-game losing streak, having gone two games without a touchdown.

Ryan's fate won't be determined purely on the team's record, according to Johnson.

"It's really the direction of the team and how we think the learning curve is going and whether the young people are absorbing it, and whether it's a formula that can help you win," Johnson said.

Ryan has only one year left on his contract, meaning it's highly likely his status will be addressed as soon as the season is over. Johnson wasn't asked directly about Ryan.

Johnson painted this as a transition for the Jets, noting how the offense had to start from scratch by learning a new system. He expressed confidence in rookie quarterback Geno Smith, who is struggling mightily.

"We've got a young quarterback who is very, very talented," he said. "Like with all young quarterbacks, he's learning so much. I think you'll see him get better and better. I have a lot of confidence in Geno. When he gets better, everyone on the offense, defense and special teams will get better."

Johnson said "the defense is amazing," and he praised the Jets for not fracturing amid the adversity. Overall, he said the struggling offense is "very, very close" to achieving its potential.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's fate won't be determined purely on the team's record, according to Johnson.

"It's really the direction of the team and how we think the learning curve is going and whether the young people are absorbing it, and whether it's a formula that can help you win," Johnson said.

If this is true, Rex should be fine. Look at all our young people absorbing the learning curve!

If this is true, Rex should be fine. Look at all our young people absorbing the learning curve!

"For instance, this young man today--Reed was his name?--when he made that intersection catch in the second inning, well, that bodes well for his future in this league. That shows me that Rex is really getting through to the youngsters."

If the jets owner likes missing playoffs back to back seasons then he is a ultimate loser just like wilpon for the mets is.

He thinks they are going in a good direction then he is plainly wrong and clueless. Jets always settle for mediocrity as always. Thats why there never will be another super bowl won ever until this clown sells the team.

Schiano won again today. Joe Philbin, too. I'm starting to thing that chokehold Rex had on Coach of the Year is slipping away.

Philbin is a pretty good coach,..I could see him being a guy who has a tin of success in his second job...after Miami inevitably let's him go

If the jets owner likes missing playoffs back to back seasons then he is a ultimate loser just like wilpon for the mets is.

He thinks they are going in a good direction then he is plainly wrong and clueless. Jets always settle for mediocrity as always. Thats why there never will be another super bowl won ever until this clown sells the team.

And the next clown spends far less on the team in terms of salary cap, kinda like Mr. Hess, and we all sing Woody's Praise. How many owners in the NFL have spent more in salary cap the last decade than Woody? Let me guess. None. And I may very well be right.

Cry about PSLs all you want and the media attention, but Woody does spend towards his team.

And the next clown spends far less on the team in terms of salary cap, kinda like Mr. Hess, and we all sing Woody's Praise. How many owners in the NFL have spent more in salary cap the last decade than Woody? Let me guess. None. And I may very well be right.

Cry about PSLs all you want and the media attention, but Woody does spend towards his team.

OK. Its not Woody, Its not our coach, Its not our GM, is it even the players? Are some franchises just "destined" to being dreadful or at best Mediocre. Are the Jets, Browns, Jaguars, Bills just plain destined to be footballs version of the Cubs, Mariners, Astros.  or the Bobcats, Timberwolves, Wizards etc.  These teams, no matter how they finish, get high draft picks, sign high priced FA's etc. NEVER seem to flourish. Yes, they have a good year here and there but never have what is best described as a sustained run.

Then you look at other franchises, that finish well so draft at the bottom, sign moderate priced FA's to fill in som samll needs and are great for what seems forever, like New England, San Francisco, Green Bay, or the SOX, the Yankees, the Braves, Cardinals, or Heat, Bulls, Lakers etc.

As a Jet fan for, well basically since the Jets got Joewillie, I have resigned myself to basically, the Jets are just one of those "cursed, jinxed, unlucky, bad break , call it whatever you like, franchises, that for whatever reason always seem to mired in mediocrity. Thats basically what it means to be a JET fan, pray for a miracle, but resigned to reality.

I agree with you, as a Jet-Met-Islander fan I actually can appreciate the guy spends money and seems to care about winning games.

whats so wrong here?

dont like the current team? fine

direction of the team looks ok we got a lot of young guys looking pretty good

Agreed, not sure why it's such a big deal that the Jets plan to actually assess their situation before doing anything too rash. As exciting as it might be to hire their fourth first time HC in a row (this time he coaches offense!), they probably lose Ryan entirely. That's probably not something they really want to do, and common sense says that this team with a QB who performs well is a playoff team year in and year out with Ryan at HC. I would much rather they continue building the offense up rather than yet again hitting reset. 

Agreed, not sure why it's such a big deal that the Jets plan to actually assess their situation before doing anything too rash. As exciting as it might be to hire their fourth first time HC in a row (this time he coaches offense!), they probably lose Ryan entirely. That's probably not something they really want to do, and common sense says that this team with a QB who performs well is a playoff team year in and year out with Ryan at HC. I would much rather they continue building the offense up rather than yet again hitting reset.

And because the only pro-ready quarterbacks are only found on The Mythical Quarterback Tree that only select organizations are able to find, it looks like we're out of luck. :(

And because the only pro-ready quarterbacks are only found on The Mythical Quarterback Tree that only select organizations are able to find, it looks like we're out of luck. :(

I'll say it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....Geno Smith is going to be a good one. 

Plus, it's the Coaching Tree that says it all, amirite?!?!?! 

exactly

im kinda digging how our defense is being built around some young players. We are going to have more of the luxury of focusing on offense now in the draft and FA. Dont we have some ungodly amount of money to spend next year? looking good

Woody Johnson is a dope, but that's hardly surprising.  I'm happy with the opportunity we'll have this upcoming offseason (10 draft picks and $40-50M in cap room without making any maneuvers to increase that even more, though they also exist).  However I'm likely not going to be happy with the direction of the team until there's a sure thing at QB.  

Still hope Geno is that guy but I'm not seeing it.  We've seen QBs go from 100% clueless as rookies into solid performers (even into great ones), but I think the learning curve was just steeper decades ago without all the technology available now.  I was happy when he was showing some flashes of getting better.  I know the receiving talent is mostly crap, but he's been missing open guys and staring down his receivers just like Sanchez.

Archived