Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the rumors have stopped and players have started signing or plan on signing.   And the Jets don't seem to be in many of those conversations.  Can't really start rumors when the team seems to be the odd team out for many players.

But why? Again, we've got $40m to spend. You don't have to go out there throwing money around foolishly, you don't have to throw $10m at the first guy to knock at your door but why do nothing at all?

I agree. Jets need a SS, worse than a FS.

We have Antonio Allen, Dawan Landry, and every other FA safety (not named Byrd) that can play the in-the-box safety role. We need a true centerfielder that can cover the deep half and make plays on the ball. 

We have Antonio Allen, Dawan Landry, and every other FA safety (not named Byrd) that can play the in-the-box safety role. We need a true centerfielder that can cover the deep half and make plays on the ball. 

Allen is a FS, hence my point.

Allen is a FS, hence my point.

1.  No he's not. He's a S/LB hybrid that plays the 46 role. 

2.  It's all semantics for a defense that needs safeties to have interchangeable duties. 

3.  I'm not sure I've ever seen him play the single-high role that a traditional FS plays, which is what we need, and would get in Byrd. 

1. No he's not. He's a S/LB hybrid that plays the 46 role.

2. It's all semantics for a defense that needs safeties to have interchangeable duties.

3. I'm not sure I've ever seen him play the single-high role that a traditional FS plays, which is what we need, and would get in Byrd.

Well said. But 8 M per for Byrd is too much imo

1.  No he's not. He's a S/LB hybrid that plays the 46 role. 

2.  It's all semantics for a defense that needs safeties to have interchangeable duties. 

3.  I'm not sure I've ever seen him play the single-high role that a traditional FS plays, which is what we need, and would get in Byrd. 

Antonio Allen (born September 23, 1988) is an American football free safety for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New York Jets in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football atSouth Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Allen

Playing the single high role is not exclusive to the FS. 

Antonio Allen (born September 23, 1988) is an American footballfree safety for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New York Jets in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football atSouth Carolina.

Like seed said The position has changed where they're interchangeable but Allen predominantly played SS over the TE base to base.

But why? Again, we've got $40m to spend. You don't have to go out there throwing money around foolishly, you don't have to throw $10m at the first guy to knock at your door but why do nothing at all?

Dude, it's been 2.5 hours, it'll be okay. You're gonna go bald early if you get this worked up about things, they're going to sign someone. 

Like seed said The position has changed where they're interchangeable but Allen predominantly played SS over the TE base to base.

His coverage is a work in progress. Athletically, once he gets his technique down, he should be able to play FS. Either way, I dont want to pay a safety 8 million a year.

In FA everyone gets paid too much. Look at Jenkins, guy got paid $5.5 per. Whinter got paid $7 mil, Bethea nearly got $6 mil. Bryd getting $8 mil sounds right whether you want to do it or not is another thing.

Just because the market sets a price doesn't make him worth it.  We have other needs, $8M for a safety just isn't worth it.

His coverage is a work in progress. Athletically, once he gets his technique down, he should be able to play FS. Either way, I dont want to pay a safety 8 million a year.

Allen is far from a FS, way too slow to be depending on to play that position. More so a nickel package LB or a SS who still a work in progress. So far I like his progress so I hope he keeps it up.

Antonio Allen (born September 23, 1988) is an American football free safety for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New York Jets in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football atSouth Carolina.

I'm not sure what this points out.  ESPN lists him as a FS, but that is traditionally a role that is depicted by the deep man in a Cover-1 scheme.  As I mentioned, Rex likes his safeties to have the versatility to "switch" pre-snap to add an element of confusion to the offense, but I've yet to see Allen be the deep man.  

"When watching game film of New York Jets seventh round selection Antonio Allen, one thing is obvious; he is very much a true Strong Safety. Having played the “Spur” position during his collegiate career at South Carolina, Allen was a rover type safety for the Gamecocks, a position that is almost a strong safety/outside linebacker hybrid. Very rarely was he ever lined up as a true safety, and often times he was placed right in the box alongside the linebackers. "

http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-antonio-allen/
"Allen was a strong safety in college at South Carolina, but was as much of a Sam linebacker as he was a safety and developed a reputation for being a stout run defender."  
ScreenShot2013-10-22at4.49.45PM_crop_exa  

Archived