Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis isn't coming back you guys. That's a pipe dream and not realistic. Milliner and Walls will be the starting corners.

You forgot to include whatever corner they're inevitably going to draft early as a result of missing out on Davis and Verner. Also, I agree with you on Revis. Dude still wants to be paid like a QB and he's not even guaranteed to be playing at the 2009 level which is the only year really that would come close to a contract he's likely still looking for.

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley · 2m

Still think the Jets should go sign Talib, he's not seeing the market he thought he would & he's a perfect fit for Rex #Goodnightagain

Another guy who can't stay healthy. He's solid but nothing spectacular. Definitely not a #1 corner.

The teams that paid today paid top dollar. 

The nice thing is you still have alot of good to great corners on the board and all the top WR's are still on the board. To me those are the two biggest needs now that Cromartie is gone.

Idzik will strike when the time is right.

In reality Revis isn't even on the board yet though. He's still under contract and has not been able to negotiate with any other team.  It's gonna be a sh*t storm when he's cut.

But Verner at that price is concerning, IMO.

Verner got a lower contract because the league thinks he's a top zone CB, whereas Davis got the one he did because of his respective skills.  Regardless, I don't think anyone is going to be giving Revis anything close to $16 mill again.  As much as I don't see it happening, there is a glimmer of possibility he ends up back here.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz · 3m

A calming voice RT @damienwoody: I love what Idzik is doing! Sit back & let the market settle. Build this team through the draft

I'm all for building through the draft, but you have to supplement that with players in free agency. It doesn't have to be a huge splash. Verner was inexpensive. They have a lot of holes and not all of them are going to be filled in the draft. Just not feasible. Unless you're the Packers. Plus, the Jets draft history is not good.

I think the Idzik desperately wants to avoid bringing Revis back. We heard that the Jets were pushing hard to get Vontae Davis, they failed. Then we heard similar things about Verner, they also failed. It seem Idzik is trying to avoid bringing Revis back if he can get away with it.

am I missing something here?? the jets have serious needs at cb and safety. 2 young pro bowlers are available in verner & ward. the jets were said to have interest in these 2 players and if that was just the media blowing smoke, the jets should damn well should have interest in them. jets are 40m under the cap. both players sign extremely team friendly deals. what am I missing??????

Verner to Tampa, and Byrd to New Orleans... What are Idzik and the front office biding their time for?...

-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333219/article/jairus-byrd-saints-agree-on-sixyear-contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333220/article/alterraun-verner-tampa-bay-buccaneers-strike-deal

-

Alterraun Verner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers strike deal

Darrelle Revis is as good as gone after one year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The new Bucs regime agreed to terms with formerTennessee Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner on a four-year, $26.5 million contract with $14 million in guarantees, a source tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

With Verner in tow, Revis is expected to be released by 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Ranked No. 8 on Around The League's free-agent tracker, Verner comes at a bargain rate for a cornerback who was reported to be drawing interest from more than a half-dozen teams.

Although Verner has a great chance to earn every penny on the contract, his annual average is well short of the contracts signed by Sam Shields and Brent Grimes.

Verner will take over as the top cornerback in Lovie Smith's defense, which is better suited to his skills than a heavy press-man scheme.

Give new general Jason Licht credit. By adding Verner and pass rushers Michael Johnson and Clint McDonald to a nucleus that includes at least four players with Pro Bowl talent, he's quietly building a defense with the potential to keep up with the NFC superpowers.

Jairus Byrd, Saints agree on six-year contract

The New Orleans Saints have spent much of the last week clearing salary cap room. On Tuesday, they decided to spend it in a big way.

The team announced they agreed to terms on a six-year contract with safety Jairus Byrd.

Byrd will pair with second-year pro Kenny Vaccaro to form the best safety duo East of Seattle. Byrd, who was our No. 1 ranked player that made it to free agency, is the perfect deep middle safety for defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to use. Byrd is also also versatile enough to line up all over the field, giving Ryan countless formation options with Byrd and Vaccaro on the field at the same time.

We've heard for weeks about the Saints' dire cap situation. They plan to trade Darren Sproles, which should open up even more space. It's possible that more cost-cutting moves are coming.

This contract proves that teams can always find a way to make a big move in the salary cap era. Not too far removed from fielding one of the worst defenses in NFL history, the Saints' defense looks quite dangerous now.

Why not?

The same reason a pass on 3rd and inches doesn't get called very often.  Too many variables that need to fall into the right place makes it less likely to achieve the desired result.  At least I THINK it's like that.  :D

Don't get me wrong It's creative and interesting, but.... you know.

am I missing something here?? the jets have serious needs at cb and safety. 2 young pro bowlers are available in verner & ward. the jets were said to have interest in these 2 players and if that was just the media blowing smoke, the jets should damn well should have interest in them. jets are 40m under the cap. both players sign extremely team friendly deals. what am I missing??????

The Jets are obviously going to sign Revis isn't it quite evident.

To be honest I expected defensive free agent money myself.

The same reason a pass on 3rd and inches doesn't get called very often. Too many variables that need to fall into the right place makes it less likely to achieve the desired result. At least I THINK it's like that. :D

Don't get me wrong It's creative and interesting, but.... you know.

True. It would just be so great to send him to pergatory

Archived