Decker meeting with the Jets

Joe Jets fan

Dont you want to have a #1 WR that is elite all world talent. Santonio was not elite and he go elite money.

I dont mind the numbers i am hearing from Schefter. But if they are a lot more it would not be a good signing,

I'd like every signing to be a great value, but the bottom line is that if youre unwilling to outbid other teams for the top free agents, you're gonna lose out on them. Are the Jets better off with Decker or another $8M in cap space?

I didn't expect the Jets to pursue Decker, and I think the only reason they are is that they missed on the CBs they intended to pay very well. Not paying Davis the roughly $10M/year they were willing to spend freed up a lot of money. One expensive piece at a position of critical need wouldn't be the worst move in the world.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GARBAGE NO THANK YOU

ERIC DECKER = DAVID NELSON = MILES AUSTIN

id rather just get a WR through the draft. only reason Decker had a decent season is because he had Peyton. Dude is a #3 receiver on any team. frankly hes just riding a wave.

Vick, Decker? What other sloppy seconds joke are we gonna get?

Doesn't matter. He's still got what it takes to be an MVP and have his best year as a pro. Maybe its the maturity level? Its not like he didn't have any weapons in Indy (marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edge)

I am talking about Decker.  Not Manning.  I think Decker has to get more separation to receive passes from Manning, who does not have the zip on his passes anymore.  That was the purpose of my post.

GARBAGE NO THANK YOU

id rather just get a WR through the draft. only reason Decker had a decent season is because he had Peyton. Dude is a #3 receiver on any team. frankly hes just riding a wave.

I don't think he's amazing or anything, but if not for Fox letting Tebow start in the pre-Peyton year, Decker's numbers would have looked pretty close to his with-Peyton numbers.  Statistically, that's what he was on pace for with the great Kyle Orton.

GARBAGE NO THANK YOU

technically all FA are sloppy seconds. am i missing something?

This. 

You don't go to a run-first team with a sh*tty  shaky QB play to inflate your stats. 

Yeah.  I don't think it means we can't get a WR here if we ante up, but on an el-cheapo deal? This is one of the last places I'd pick.  Particularly after the team has already signed Eric Decker to big bucks (according to that plan above).

Yeah.  I don't think it means we can't get a WR here if we ante up, but on an el-cheapo deal? This is one of the last places I'd pick.  Particularly after the team has already signed Eric Decker to big bucks (according to that plan above).

I think we can make any deal financially enticing.  Money talks.  

These guys like Nicks who would be weighing a one-year show me deal from say the Chargers or Colts, vs. a modest offer from the Jets are probably better off showcasing their skills this season, and cashing-in the next than settling for a reserve role on a run-first team. 

I am talking about Decker.  Not Manning.  I think Decker has to get more separation to receive passes from Manning, who does not have the zip on his passes anymore.  That was the purpose of my post.

I know but it doesn't make sense. Manning just came off the best year of his career. Manning can squeeze the ball in to tight spaces (no pun intended, mods). What Im saying is, most of the those 1200+ yards were because of Manning. With Geno, He's just another 700+ yard guy unless Geno can really turn the engine on this year.

I know but it doesn't make sense. Manning just came off the best year of his career. Manning can squeeze the ball in to tight spaces (no pun intended, mods). What Im saying is, most of the those 1200+ yards were because of Manning. With Geno, He's just another 700+ yard guy unless Geno can really turn the engine on this year.

there are only a handful of guys who are slam dunks to hit 1,000 yards with geno. and all of them would cost a lot more than decker. don't think that is a knock on decker, just tells us what we already know: decker isn't one of the 5-10 elite WRs in the league that can really bail out a crap QB.

I don't know.  At the same time, there was a lot of competition for catching footballs on the field with him.  That could have helped or hurt his numbers.  But he was on pace for a lot more than 700 yards (not to mention a lot more TDs than the 8 TDs he finished with) before they went to Tim Tebow.

Now all we have to do is get Geno Smith to be as good as Kyle Orton.  Though Orton was pretty horrible himself as a rookie.

Are you willing to pay 10 mill for 612 yards of production.

For the Broncos their window of winning the SB is with Peyton Manning. Which maybe the next few seasons, Thats why Elway is being aggressive in signing FA's. But they are letting Decker walk and not paying him for having two great seasons for them with Manning. That tells you something.

Again given the shape of our receiving corps i would not be against adding talent to that position. Its the cost. And we have found out very recently that overpaying players is not a recipe to success.

So to recap:

Team A lets Player A hit FA, Jets sign Player A.  Conclusion:  Team A is Brilliant, Player A must suck because they let him go, Jets are stoopid!!

Jets let Player B hit FA, Team B signs Player B.  Conclusion:  Team B is Brilliant, Player B must rule because they signed him, Jets are stoopid!!

So to recap:

Team A lets Player A hit FA, Jets sign Player A.  Conclusion:  Team A is Brilliant, Player A must suck because they let him go, Jets are stoopid!!

Jets let Player B hit FA, Team B signs Player B.  Conclusion:  Team B is Brilliant, Player B must rule because they signed him, Jets are stoopid!!

or just throw out "overpaid" without any context

I don't get it the Broncos started blowing Ware at the airport, and got him to sign on the car ride to the facility, most do. What's Decker have Whiskey Dick? Jets been blowing him since the last week of January.

I just have a feeling that if the Jets were going to sign him, it would have been announced already.  Probably came in for his visit and left without a contract.

I think we can make any deal financially enticing.  Money talks.  

These guys like Nicks who would be weighing a one-year show me deal from say the Chargers or Colts, vs. a modest offer from the Jets are probably better off showcasing their skills this season, and cashing-in the next than settling for a reserve role on a run-first team. 

Yeah but these kinds of deals are pointless to me.  You sign a guy to a 1 year deal, he proves himself, moves to another team, jets start over.  That's not really building anything, that's just patch work every year.     If they sign Decker to some 5 year $46 Million deal, it's a bit much, but I'd be fine with it.  At least there was a plan in place to build something.  ANd he'd be a part of it.  Signing a guy like Nicks to some 1 year deal, is just pointless in the long term.

Archived