flgreen

Dimitri Patterson signing raises questions

April, 1, 2014

APR 1

11:40

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

RECOMMEND4TWEET4COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT

A few thoughts on cornerback Dimitri Patterson signing a one-year, $3 million contract with the New York Jets:

Patterson

1. A head scratcher: In the end, general manager John Idzik preferred a $3 million cornerback with major durability issues over a $3.5 million corner (Antonio Cromartie) who never has missed a game in his career due to injury and already is comfortable in Rex Ryan's system. On the surface, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Idzik is gambling that Patterson can beat the injury bug that cost him 24 games over the last two seasons. Granted, Cromartie didn't play well last season, but he's a scheme fit and his troublesome hip is said to be doing better. He's getting $3.5 million from the Arizona Cardinals, who think he'll be fine.

2. Mr. Inside: Patterson started four games for the Miami Dolphins last season, but his best position is the nickel -- specifically, covering the slot receiver. The Dolphins were thin at corner, so they had to start him. A review of Dolphins tape shows that, early in the season, Patterson started at right corner and slid inside on nickel downs. Said one AFC personnel scout: "He's a borderline starter, but you really want him as your 3. I bet you they draft a guy because he's not a press (coverage) guy in the way Rex likes to press."

3. Projected role: The size of Patterson's contract suggests he will be on the field a lot, starting opposite Dee Milliner or playing in the nickel. Right now, he's the leading candidate to replace Cromartie in the lineup. This won't preclude the Jets from drafting a corner, perhaps in the first two rounds. Remember, Patterson is just a stop-gap. Scouts, Inc. has 15 corners rated in their top 100, so they should be able to find a potential starter in the first three rounds. If they pick a corner early, it could jeopardize Kyle Wilson's roster spot.

4. Nice productivity: Limited to only six games because of a groin injury that hampered him the entire season, Patterson finished with four interceptions (in 228 defensive snaps) -- one more pick than anybody on the Jets. Patterson recorded two interceptions in the opener, although the first was a gift deflection. His best play came against the New England Patriots in the seventh game, when he dropped into a zone from the slot, made a nice read on Tom Brady and stepped in front of Rob Gronkowski to make the interception. Patterson shows nice instincts and ball skills, but he lacks catch-up speed. And, of course, he can't stay healthy.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. A head scratcher: In the end, general manager John Idzik preferred a $3 million cornerback with major durability issues over a $3.5 million corner (Antonio Cromartie) who never has missed a game in his career due to injury and already is comfortable in Rex Ryan's system. On the surface, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Idzik is gambling that Patterson can beat the injury bug that cost him 24 games over the last two seasons. Granted, Cromartie didn't play well last season, but he's a scheme fit and his troublesome hip is said to be doing better. He's getting $3.5 million from the Arizona Cardinals, who think he'll be fine.

Cimini's a hater and now that I think about it, I'm obviously an idiot for thinking this is a valid point.

Cimini's a hater and now that I think about it, I'm obviously an idiot for thinking this is a valid point.

I honestly don't remember it, but it seems Cromartie missed a game with us his first year here, and I know he missed a whole season with the Chargers with a torn ACL.  

If we had anyone better (like a healthy Patterson), Cromartie certainly would have been on the sideline nursing his hip instead of screwing up on the field.  What good is playing injured if it hurts the team? We went through that a decade ago when our dumbass HC kept starting a RB with two high ankle sprains.  IMO give them tough guy medals for willing to play hurt.  And keep them off the football field when they're doing as much or more harm than good.  

If a guy is allegedly only performing horribly due to injury, it rings hollow when someone says, "And he's never missed a game due to injury."  Like it's any better if he plays worse than just about anyone in the league. 

Part of the reason Idzik didn't re-sign him may be that it's tough to bench a veteran who's been with the team for 5 years.  Especially one who was so good not long ago.  It's tough to bench a guy who can still run fast and who says he's good to go.  It can hurt team morale and you want them tough not complaining about every broken nail.  

But again, it's hard to bench him when he says he feels good enough and there really isn't anyone else good to take his place.  Meanwhile everyone knows he's not in the team's long-term plans anymore and you have to get new guys on the field before you're actually ready for a serious championship run.  Patterson will fill that role nicely; he doesn't have that same status with the team and will probably miss some games to injury to boot.

We went through that a decade ago when our dumbass HC kept starting a RB with two high ankle sprains.  IMO give them tough guy medals for willing to play hurt.  And keep them off the football field when they're doing as much or more harm than good.  

Dont forget losing streak/missing playoffs when Favre played hurt

Of COURSE it does. If this were a Belichek signing all we would be reading about is just "HOW does he DO it?" "HOW does he KNOW" that Dimitri Patterson is on the verge of a breakout pro-bowl type of season? It boggles the mind(s)

Cimini can't help being a dick.  Someone on the Jets must have slept with his wife/girlfriend.

I think the Jets were scared away by Cromartie because he had a high likelihood of a degenerative hip condition. 

Backs nor hips get better through playing.

Patterson = Cromartie, except Dmitri doesn't have something like 10 different children with 10 different 'hos. This isn't really a big signing, we're still going to have to wait until cheapzik actually signs a legit starting corner. If the Jets go with what they have right now, expect another 8-8 season or worse. 

Dont forget losing streak/missing playoffs when Favre played hurt

I did.  You're right.  

When a player has that much stature it's tough to just bench him.  Easy on paper, tough in a locker room.  And that guy you put in better not be horrible because the Mehtas and Ciminis will pounce on the move like you're the only coach fool enough to do something this asinine. 

Dimitri Patterson signing raises questions

April, 1, 2014

APR 1

11:40

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

RECOMMEND4TWEET4COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT

A few thoughts on cornerback Dimitri Patterson signing a one-year, $3 million contract with the New York Jets:

Patterson

2. Mr. Inside: Patterson started four games for the Miami Dolphins last season, but his best position is the nickel -- specifically, covering the slot receiver. The Dolphins were thin at corner, so they had to start him. A review of Dolphins tape shows that, early in the season, Patterson started at right corner and slid inside on nickel downs. Said one AFC personnel scout: "He's a borderline starter, but you really want him as your 3. I bet you they draft a guy because he's not a press (coverage) guy in the way Rex likes to press."

3. Projected role: The size of Patterson's contract suggests he will be on the field a lot, starting opposite Dee Milliner or playing in the nickel. Right now, he's the leading candidate to replace Cromartie in the lineup. This won't preclude the Jets from drafting a corner, perhaps in the first two rounds. Remember, Patterson is just a stop-gap. Scouts, Inc. has 15 corners rated in their top 100, so they should be able to find a potential starter in the first three rounds. If they pick a corner early, it could jeopardize Kyle Wilson's roster spot.

4. Nice productivity: Limited to only six games because of a groin injury that hampered him the entire season, Patterson finished with four interceptions (in 228 defensive snaps) -- one more pick than anybody on the Jets. Patterson recorded two interceptions in the opener, although the first was a gift deflection. His best play came against the New England Patriots in the seventh game, when he dropped into a zone from the slot, made a nice read on Tom Brady and stepped in front of Rob Gronkowski to make the interception. Patterson shows nice instincts and ball skills, but he lacks catch-up speed. And, of course, he can't stay healthy.

No, it doesn't. The Jets currently have 8 CBs on the roster. Drafting one in the first or second round means you are hoping to draft an outside corner to sit for 2-3 weeks to start the season behind Patterson while you play to Wilson's strength as a nickel corner. 

If Cimini knew anything about football his trolling would improve tremendously. 

Jesus they paid him 3 mill

And only for 1 year at that.  Then he hits free agency. 

With Wilson, Colon, and others, is Idzik looking to stock up on his 2016 compensatory picks? I doubt he (or any GM) makes (or fails to make) serious acquisitions with just this in mind, but all the same it's nice to have in one's back pocket.

2015 UFAs who could/would get contracts above the absolute veteran minimum from someone else if we don't re-sign/extend:

Patterson

Wilson

Colon

Vick

Harris

Landry

K.Ellis

Barnes

Powell

Plus anyone else we pick up on a 1-year deal for this year.  Also technically Mo and Kerley, but Mo at least has no chance of hitting free agency in 2015 while the team holds a $5M option.  Same thing with Snacks, who the team can keep for the year for even less.

So we could be active in FA next year and still gain 4 comp picks again for '16.

With Wilson, Colon, and others, is Idzik looking to stock up on his 2016 compensatory picks? I doubt he (or any GM) makes (or fails to make) serious acquisitions with just this in mind, but all the same it's nice to have in one's back pocket.

2015 UFAs who could/would get contracts above the absolute veteran minimum from someone else if we don't re-sign/extend:

Patterson

Wilson

Colon

Vick

Harris

Landry

K.Ellis

Barnes

Powell

Plus anyone else we pick up on a 1-year deal for this year.  Also technically Mo and Kerley, but Mo at least has no chance of hitting free agency in 2015 while the team holds a $5M option.  Same thing with Snacks, who the team can keep for the year for even less.

So we could be active in FA next year and still gain 4 comp picks again for '16.

If that's true, Idzik's working on a level the vast majority can't comprehend. 

If that's true, Idzik's working on a level the vast majority can't comprehend. 

I'll give him that he's playing chess rather than checkers.  Whether he's playing it well is something time will tell.

If Smith, Milliner, and Winters look like they did through November, and we get a lot of value picks that never show their value, no one's going to care how smart the process was in theory.  

In the end we're going to need the horses.  The plan seems to be to find a way for the team to get more horses than others get, but if he drafts poorly then something something best laid plans something something.

Like this draft, if we do somehow make 12 picks, the roster's likely better if we keep the top 6 out of 12 than the top 6 out of 7 (or the top 3 out of 3 if you're Tannenbaum).

Patterson = Cromartie, except Dmitri doesn't have something like 10 different children with 10 different 'hos. This isn't really a big signing, we're still going to have to wait until cheapzik actually signs a legit starting corner. If the Jets go with what they have right now, expect another 8-8 season or worse. 

You're also missing the fact that Cro is taller and built to play outside. 

Love this and the Jacoby signing. Gives us depth in areas of perceived "weakness." Free agency is about plugging holes so you can draft the best available player in every round and not draft needs. Think Idzik is performing very well. 

Patterson

Wilson

Colon

Vick

Harris

Landry

K.Ellis

Barnes

Powell

Yes, lets keep saying "we'll be active in FA next year" every year forever so that we can justify Idzik having no idea which FA's to sign or how to close contracts with the ones he wants. 

Yes, lets keep saying "we'll be active in FA next year" every year forever so that we can justify Idzik having no idea which FA's to sign or how to close contracts with the ones he wants. 

Give proof of this

how to close contracts with the ones he wants. 

I read the headline and my first thought was "Cimini!"  

Jesus they paid him 3 mill

When I first saw it I thought they meant Ford and I was pissed.  I saw it was Patterson and I relaxed.  Then I thought about it more and had the same reaction as you.  He might not make it out of camp, but it isn't really that much money.  This is a guy that people seem to read differently.  Some people swear he is very good except when he is hurt other say he is a JAG *and* hurt all the time.   He does not seem to be a shut down press corner, but he can play inside/outside and even safety.  

Patterson
Wilson
Colon
Vick
Harris
Landry
K.Ellis
Barnes
Powell

I mentioned this in another thread.  Aten said that he doesn't think expiring 1-years count towards compensatory picks. I found no evidence of that, but the information on compensatory picks isn't too easy to find.  

I think the Jets felt like the Cromartie situation was going to become an issue as he moved from the number 1 corner to the number 2 corner to the nickel guy to the trusted bench reserve which is where they see this position going as they develop a draft pick from the upcoming draft.  Cromartie is not a sure thing top of the league corner anymore.

I mentioned this in another thread.  Aten said that he doesn't think expiring 1-years count towards compensatory picks. I found no evidence of that, but the information on compensatory picks isn't too easy to find.  

If that were true, we wouldn't have gotten a comp pick for Landry.

I think the Jets felt like the Cromartie situation was going to become an issue as he moved from the number 1 corner to the number 2 corner to the nickel guy to the trusted bench reserve which is where they see this position going as they develop a draft pick from the upcoming draft.  Cromartie is not a sure thing top of the league corner anymore.

But he's better than Patterson and worth the extra 500k, that's the point. If both Cro and Patterson are stop gaps for an upcoming draft pick wouldn't it make more sense to pay the extra 500k which is nothing in order to have a better CB with more experience in the system and more ability to teach that system to a rookie? I don't see how anyone can sugarcoat this move, it makes no sense.

But he's better than Patterson and worth the extra 500k, that's the point. If both Cro and Patterson are stop gaps for an upcoming draft pick wouldn't it make more sense to pay the extra 500k which is nothing in order to have a better CB with more experience in the system and more ability to teach that system to a rookie? I don't see how anyone can sugarcoat this move, it makes no sense.

Cro. Was. Hurt.

Say it with me.

But he's better than Patterson and worth the extra 500k, that's the point.  

Cro's got a chronic condition and he couldn't run last year. He didn't get surgery or anything he's not getting better. 

It's not clear that he is better than Patterson, in other words. 

I can see your point about Cro vs Patterson, but I think your conclusion is off the mark.  Cromartie has already been signed by another team, and perhaps they screwed up by not bringing him back.  However, does that suddenly mean the Jets shouldn't sign another CB unless he is universally deemed to be better than Cro?  That would be an even worse idea.  There is nothing they can do about Cro now, so they can't let that stop them from making other moves.  I'm not overly excited about the Patterson signing or anything, but it certainly makes sense if they feel he has a chance to be a solid contributor to this defense, regardless of what other moves they have or haven't made.

Cro's got a chronic condition and he couldn't run last year. He didn't get surgery or anything he's not getting better. 

That's what made sense when they let him go. It had to be chronic or for the money he got he'd still be a Jet

I really feel sorry for the JETS beat writers like Cimini and Mehta.

They were ready to go, pads ready, pencils sharpened to cover one of the wildest FA seasons that the JETS were going to have with that super outsized cap space. But then Idzik happened with his boring tendency on team building and not headlines dominating moves.

Suddenly the beat writers who were salivating before the start of FA were left unfulfilled, unsated, just holding on to their little pencils with nothing to write about. So now they are reduced to making up stories of despair and disdain about moves Idzik makes.

I really feel sorry that our beat writers are reduced to that. I really really do.

I don't understand why people look at what Patterson got and wonder what it says about the Jets instead of what it says about the other corners on the market. Nobody was even talking about any of these guys three months ago (unlike, say, Decker). We didn't miss anything. Drafting defensive backs in bunches is the new thing anyway. We can port it over. The mancrush-inclined can all just pick a deep corner prospect instead of a free agent.

Cro. Was. Hurt.

Say it with me.

So was Patterson, he was on IR last season with a groin injury! Not to mention Patterson is older than Cro! Patterson has started a grand total of 11 games in FOUR seasons

We essentially opted to save 500K in exchange for an older, less talented CB, with no experience in Rex's system, and with his own injury concerns. I don't see how anyone can spin this positively.

I agree that this is indeed the point.  Hips nor backs suddenly get better (ask Tiger). 

His condition was believed to be degenerative and he received no treatment.  I can't fault Idzik for not wanting to see a repeat of last season.  Arizona may be the true idiots here.  They were the only interested team.

Archived