Calvin Pryor Is An Enforcer

JetNation

BY PHIL SULLIVAN ON MAY 9, 2014 - http://www.jetnation.com/2014/05/09/calvin-pryor-is-an-enforcer/

You hear the phrase often, “Play like a Jet”.  At different points in time, that has meant different things.  NY Jets General Manager John Idzik said this about Calvin Pryor, “He’s a physical presence on the field. He has range. (He) makes plays. (He) creates turnovers. He just plays like a Jet. ”

Turnovers are something the Jets defense lacked last season.  The Jets defense ranked 22nd last year in yards allowed.  They ranked last in the AFC with only 2 fumble recoveries. Add in only 13 interceptions by the defense and you have a team that simply isn’t creating enough turnovers.  The Jets turnover ratio was -14 last season when you factor in the offense. When the season ended, everyone knew that changing these ratios was going to be a focus of the off-season.

There was a lot of talk about adding another cornerback to start along side Dee Milliner after the Jets decided to let Antonio Cromartie walk away.  They could still address cornerback early in this draft, but what Rex Ryan and John Idzik decided was more important was adding a physical presence in the secondary.

The Jets defense will get to the quarterback, they have a young and extremely talented defensive line.  They also have Antwan Barnes returning from his knee injury and Calvin Pace will be back after a 10-sack season.

Rex Ryan believes that Pryor’s physical nature is a game changer.  Rex said, “there is a huge thing with his hitting ability; big hits still win games. They’ll flip the momentum of a game faster than anything in my opinion, and I’ve always said that and this young man will provide that for us.”

The criticism on Pryor often revolves around his lack of man-to-man experience.  Rex confirmed that Pryor doesn’t have as much man-to-man experience as they would like him to have but he praised his coverage skills overall.

This young man’s got plenty of cover skills. He’s got range, he’s got hands for the interception, so you can play him and you see him. He can play deep, he can play up, all those types of things. When we all looked at him, evaluated him, we knew he had plenty of cover skills.

Pryor seems excited to play for Rex Ryan.  “It will be great because Coach Ryan, he’s going to be able to coach me up and teach me some things that I wasn’t able to learn in college. He’ll look for me to make an impact right away. He’s going to do everything that’s possible.”

Rex couldn’t hide his feelings when he described Pryor’s physical nature.  “We pride ourselves in being a physical football team and he fits that profile. This young man is an enforcer. You see how some of those kind of plays and hits and everything else, how it can impact the game.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex said, “there is a huge thing with his hitting ability; big hits still win games. They’ll flip the momentum of a game faster than anything in my opinion, and I’ve always said that and this young man will provide that for us.”.”

Big hits, not touchdowns, flip momentum you guys.

Big hits, not touchdowns, flip momentum you guys.

In 1975, may be big hits made sense. The message is getting sent at all levels of football that they want you to wrap up and usually not lead with your head.(you can never prvent some helmet contact),  It's clear this franchise with Wrecks ovevlaues defense, and now they overvalue a quality that may in fact be a negative in terms of 15 yard penalties and suspensions.

We keep hearing hoe they're emulating the Seahawks, but they passed on this yea'r Russell Wilson so we could watch the turnover machines at QB instead. Wish I could fast forward into the future to see how we passed on a 21st ceutry Fran Tarkenton for a goddamn safety.

Keeps coming back to this offense in general and ity's QBs in partcular suck balls in a divison with Brady and the Pats for another 2 or 3 years, while Manuel has a great WR upstate and Tannehill figures to improve. Where is the Jets' offense coming from to compete?

In 1975, may be big hits made sense. The message is getting sent at all levels of football that they want you to wrap up and usually not lead with your head.(you can never prvent some helmet contact),  It's clear this franchise with Wrecks ovevlaues defense, and now they overvalue a quality that may in fact be a negative in terms of 15 yard penalties and suspensions.

We keep hearing hoe they're emulating the Seahawks, but they passed on this yea'r Russell Wilson so we could watch the turnover machines at QB instead. Wish I could fast forward into the future to see how we passed on a 21st ceutry Fran Tarkenton for a goddamn safety.

Keeps coming back to this offense in general and ity's QBs in partcular suck balls in a divison with Brady and the Pats for another 2 or 3 years, while Manuel has a great WR upstate and Tannehill figures to improve. Where is the Jets' offense coming from to compete?

Tannehill figures to improve?  Why is that?  

Also, Laron Landry was great to watch as a Jet and did much of the same last year for the Colts. Big hits are still a major part of this game. You will get the penalties here and there, I'll give you that.  but    

WR having his head rattled and becoming tentative >>> 15 yd penalty

I think we're all gonna like this pick in a few months and years and I honestly believe that we will watch Jonny Cleveland running for his life in that division and in three years watch the Browns pick yet another 1st rd Qb as we all comment on Manziel's fine analyst abilities for college games. 

ps. Fran Tarkenton never won anything. He ran around the field like a maniac and while exciting, never brought the trophy home. Big woop. It's the same as the Rex brought us to two AFC championships argument. There was a term in the 80's for QB's who were good but could't bring it home. It was called having Fran Tarkenson's disease.  No thanks. 

Tannehill figures to improve?  Why is that?  

Also, Laron Landry was great to watch as a Jet and did much of the same last year for the Colts. Big hits are still a major part of this game. You will get the penalties here and there, I'll give you that.  but    

WR having his head rattled and becoming tentative >>> 15 yd penalty

I think we're all gonna like this pick in a few months and years and I honestly believe that we will watch Jonny Cleveland running for his life in that division and in three years watch the Browns pick yet another 1st rd Qb as we all comment on Manziel's fine analyst abilities for college games. 

ps. Fran Tarkenton never won anything. He ran around the field like a maniac and while exciting, never brought the trophy home. Big woop. It's the same as the Rex brought us to two AFC championships argument. There was a term in the 80's for QB's who were good but could't bring it home. It was called having Fran Tarkenson's disease.  No thanks.

I am sure I will like this pick. But I really wanted a number 1 wideout. A real number 1. A better chance of getting that in Round 1. Now we are just going to get "a guy", most likely. Let's see if we upgrade at TE. Our receiving corps will be vastly improved, in any event. The Dwight Gates of the world should be gone.

There are a lot of quality WRs left in the draft. Pryor could be a game changer. And while Tom Shane prepares to do physcal harm to himself because we drafted a defensive player in round 1, I think this was a very strong pick for the first round. We have selected our QB for the defense right here.

Round two, I think we need to go WR or TE. Now if Garropolois there, the question becomes do you really draft a QB two years in a row in the second round? I don't think so BUT if you think he is a franchise QB (more than Geno)...then maybe the answer is yes. Mettenberger is also a good QB pick as well and he wont challenge the status quo right away (if you can get him in round 4).

I think the first three rounds should be guys that can come in and start, the other rounds could be depth and surprises (in that they win the starting jobs).

LL

any Jets fan who doesn't like this pick needs to go back and watch all the 3rd and 8+ that they gave up last year. Pryor is more than a hard hitter he can also cover and ball hawk. It was a value pick at a position of dire need. There's no way WR (when they just signed Decker) is a worse need than S. 

I was all Dennard in the 1st round, still not sure if passing on him was right. Will see....  But at the same time, I cant be disappointed in the best safety in the draft.

Hits like a monster....WR's will definitely be thinking about him when crossing through the middle.

calvin-pryor-hit-on-j-j-worton.gif?w=600

calvin-pryor-interception-against-ucf.gi

i like the pick, but fans who don't like it are essentially saying we should have picked Cooks at 18 over Pryor. We need a WR, but I don't think Cooks is the type we need most. Cooks is incredibly fast yes, but he's 5'10", we need a big target Geno can get the ball to in the endzone or in traffic, I was hoping Kelvin Benjamin would fall to us in round 2 but the Panthers grabbed him. I think we go WR or TE in round 2 and there are plenty of good options for us. I'm just happy that it seems next year we won't have to watch long 3rds converted regularly if Pryor is in our secondary. 

i like the pick, but fans who don't like it are essentially saying we should have picked Cooks at 18 over Pryor. We need a WR, but I don't think Cooks is the type we need most. Cooks is incredibly fast yes, but he's 5'10", we need a big target Geno can get the ball to in the endzone or in traffic, I was hoping Kelvin Benjamin would fall to us in round 2 but the Panthers grabbed him. I think we go WR or TE in round 2 and there are plenty of good options for us. I'm just happy that it seems next year we won't have to watch long 3rds converted regularly if Pryor is in our secondary. 

Separation > Height

Getting TO the end zone > catching a pass IN the end zone.

Eric Decker > Kelvin Benjamin

I work with a college ref from a major conference... just got done speaking with him, he had several Louisville games over the last few years. He said Pryor is "real deal" and  "a sunday player all the way". "You couldn't miss him"  Asked him about Marcus Smith (Eagles pick) also from Louisville, he didn't really register in his experience at the time. 

any Jets fan who doesn't like this pick needs to go back and watch all the 3rd and 8+ that they gave up last year. Pryor is more than a hard hitter he can also cover and ball hawk. It was a value pick at a position of dire need. There's no way WR (when they just signed Decker) is a worse need than S.

Crap, first I agree with Ape and then I agree with you -- 5th and 6th signs of the apocalypse. Next thing you know Max will run a 10K race this afternoon.

I shouldn't have left home today.

Crap, first I agree with Ape and then I agree with you -- 5th and 6th signs of the apocalypse. Next thing you know Max will run a 10K race this afternoon.

I shouldn't have left home today.

People calling for a receiver there just simply don't understand the actual concept of building a team.

I am sure I will like this pick. But I really wanted a number 1 wideout. A real number 1. A better chance of getting that in Round 1. Now we are just going to get "a guy", most likely. Let's see if we upgrade at TE. Our receiving corps will be vastly improved, in any event. The Dwight Gates of the world should be gone.

I hear ya. Me personally, I wanted Brandon Cooks as my number one guy last night, but I really do like the philosophy we are using.  Unlike previous years  where we would pull what Buffalo did last night and trade two number one picks for a guy at the deepest position in the draft. The year we took Dewayne Robertson we traded our two number one's for him when it was the deepest DT draft in many years and guys like Richard Seymore were still on the board. It's not the right way to do things.

We got a guy who was widely regarded as the best at his position in the draft and a position of need for us. That same position is significantly less packed this year and now we get to go look through the much more plentiful crop of WR's out there. I expect them to get a solid WR in the RD.

I wouldn't even be disappointed if we went TE with Amaro or ASJ in Rd two honestly. 

EIther way, you are right. Clyde gates should be a goner as will anyone in his peer group. That's a good thing. 

Rex Ryan believes that Pryor’s physical nature is a game changer.  Rex said, “there is a huge thing with his hitting ability; big hits still win games. They’ll flip the momentum of a game faster than anything in my opinion, and I’ve always said that and this young man will provide that for us.”

let's hope.

I mean, how else do you want me to say it? Not really much to discuss there. 

I doubt the difference between drafting Cooks or Lee to help the offense and drafting Pryor (who plays a position we've sort of done without) helping the defense  can be summed up in such exact terms as "knowing how to build a team" and "not knowing how to build a team".

I understand the Jets made this pick because they still have a lot of picks in the back half of this draft, and with the talent running deep in this draft, it allows them to fill a need.

That said, I just do not value the "enforcer" safety in this league any more. The rules dictate it as such, and they generally tend to receive as much punishment as they give out.

He better be rangey and able to cover more than just the inside box.

Archived