Rex is horrendous

jgb

I think Carroll and Harbaugh run their teams like adults. I don't think either of them would get bitch-slapped by the likes of Santonio Holmes for three years. I don't think either of them would allow Mark Sanchez to hold their programs hostage for four years. I think it took guts for Carroll to start Russell Wilson and I think Harbaugh gets a lot out of a Phil Simms-like QB in Flacco. In that way, equating Rex to those two isn't a worthwhile enterprise. I get the argument that if Rex had a plus QB, we might be in the mix but you could say that about 98% of failed head coaches. Give Bruce Coslet Dan Marino and he might have won a title. Hell, if Chad doesn't get hurt, the Herm Era would look different...maybe.

My thing is this--the team has had the same issues every year Rex has been here and I don't think that's a coincidence. He's a deeply flawed coach with dubious leadership skills who will need to be propped up like a jellyfish just to get to the point where the Jets are contenders again.

I think Rex is an absolute moron. I agree with just about every flaw you point out with Rex, specifically the things that exemplify how his sense of loyalty sets the team back by years.

That said. Given him a QB and a competent OC, and he'll get you into the playoffs more often than not.

At least he's good for the misery business. 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rex is an absolute moron. I agree with just about every flaw you point out with Rex, specifically the things that exemplify how his sense of loyalty sets the team back by years.

That said. Given him a QB and a competent OC, and he'll get you into the playoffs more often than not.

At least he's good for the misery business.

Nothing makes me happier than fetishizing the misery business.

I think Carroll and Harbaugh run their teams like adults. I don't think either of them would get bitch-slapped by the likes of Santonio Holmes for three years. I don't think either of them would allow Mark Sanchez to hold their programs hostage for four years. I think it took guts for Carroll to start Russell Wilson and I think Harbaugh gets a lot out of a Phil Simms-like QB in Flacco. In that way, equating Rex to those two isn't a worthwhile enterprise. I get the argument that if Rex had a plus QB, we might be in the mix but you could say that about 98% of failed head coaches. Give Bruce Coslet Dan Marino and he might have won a title. Hell, if Chad doesn't get hurt, the Herm Era would look different...maybe.

My thing is this--the team has had the same issues every year Rex has been here and I don't think that's a coincidence. He's a deeply flawed coach with dubious leadership skills who will need to be propped up like a jellyfish just to get to the point where the Jets are contenders again.

Agree with you 100% on the Holmes thing, and there's of course other similar examples too (the Mason mess being amongst the most prominent), which is why I always say there are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Rex, that one being high up on the list.  The Sanchez thing he absolutely should have pulled the plug much sooner in 2012 and kept it that way, but the only flip side to that is they were absolutely screwed at the position no matter what.  Tebow was seriously the only guy in the NFL I wanted to see under center for the Jets even less than Sanchez at that point.  That said, I still agree that it doesn't excuse the way he handled the position (especially putting Sanchez back in after the freakin' Arizona debacle).

As an aside, when we start to get bored with the Rex stuff, can I go ahead and use your post to transition over into a Chad debate?  Those are always fun.  Like I could respond to your Herm comment by pointing out that the 2002 Oakland game had already showed us all what Chad really was even before people started having his constant injuries to use as an excuse... aaaaaaand go!

Agree with you 100% on the Holmes thing, and there's of course other similar examples too (the Mason mess being amongst the most prominent), which is why I always say there are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Rex, that one being high up on the list.  The Sanchez thing he absolutely should have pulled the plug much sooner in 2012 and kept it that way, but the only flip side to that is they were absolutely screwed at the position no matter what.  Tebow was seriously the only guy in the NFL I wanted to see under center for the Jets even less than Sanchez at that point.  That said, I still agree that it doesn't excuse the way he handled the position (especially putting Sanchez back in after the freakin' Arizona debacle).

As an aside, when we start to get bored with the Rex stuff, can I go ahead and use your post to transition over into a Chad debate?  Those are always fun.  Like I could respond to your Herm comment by pointing out that the 2002 Oakland game had already showed us all what Chad really was even before people started having his constant injuries to use as an excuse... aaaaaaand go!

don't forget locker room rift between O and D like every freaking year around week 10

Agree with you 100% on the Holmes thing, and there's of course other similar examples too (the Mason mess being amongst the most prominent), which is why I always say there are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Rex, that one being high up on the list. The Sanchez thing he absolutely should have pulled the plug much sooner in 2012 and kept it that way, but the only flip side to that is they were absolutely screwed at the position no matter what. Tebow was seriously the only guy in the NFL I wanted to see under center for the Jets even less than Sanchez at that point. That said, I still agree that it doesn't excuse the way he handled the position (especially putting Sanchez back in after the freakin' Arizona debacle).

As an aside, when we start to get bored with the Rex stuff, can I go ahead and use your post to transition over into a Chad debate? Those are always fun. Like I could respond to your Herm comment by pointing out that the 2002 Oakland game had already showed us all what Chad really was even before people started having his constant injuries to use as an excuse... aaaaaaand go!

:D I honestly almost deleted the Chad reference because I knew it would start a whole new branch of debate here at good ol' JN. Pac should be along any minute now.

Rex fans-so your logic is that one expressed the opintion that Rex once in 2010 or 2009 did a very good job, that opinion should hold forever, no further information need be processed nor considered, and the holder of said old opinion is forever locked into that opinion and cannot ever change his mind. And any attempt to look at all that has happened since and take that into account  is also invalid . 

None of which changes the fact Ryan is still here because the owner(who loves him) practically mandated it. Again, anoither example of decisions and choices being precluded by the owner and really the coach as well, if to a lesser degree. And we are about to waste another season watching Ryan screw the pooch. 

Actually our logic is that you can't say you were against him "from day 1" and then say he did a "very good job" in 2010 or 2009.  Seems logical, no?

Actually our logic is that you can't say you were against him "from day 1" and then say he did a "very good job" in 2010 or 2009.  Seems logical, no?

So no one can ever change there mind no matter what happens after that.

So no one can ever change there mind no matter what happens after that.

You can change your mind... but you have to do so knowing it'll be your fault that people have spent the last 5-7 years remembering everything you say, have your statements bookmarked and have been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a chance to catch you in a contradiction. As long as you know that their life is your fault. You can change your mind as much as you want.

Here, watch: I personally think that Eric Mangini was the most effectively overall head coach the Jets have had in the past 2 decades. For my money, he brought the best combination of game planning, discipline, charisma and motivational skills to the table. 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Now you start making sense. Totally agree, Holmes abused Rex and made us look like idiots playing us like his bitch. And Rex treated Sanchez like his son, I expected them to kiss after the anthem standing next to each other. He has stopped the prediction crap but I bet that's more Idzik. For me, the guy does not hold players accountable, specifically during the game. Get in these guys faces man, no one seems worried about losing snaps. And his time management still stinks. Its just he's a very good defensive coach. To me, I need to see better game management from him. The Sanhez love affair is over with and Holmes is thankfully gone. Bottom line, he did a good job last year getting this team to 8-8 with the talent we have. But after 34 years as a Season tic holder, I want a home championship game and nothing else. Make or break this year for Rex. I gotta see improvements in managing the game. Get your eyes off the defensive chart and watch the field and think 3 snaps ahead. And could you maybe use the replay correctly and not be so emotional.

You can change your mind... but you have to do so knowing it'll be your fault that people have spent the last 5-7 years remembering everything you say, have your statements bookmarked and have been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a chance to catch you in a contradiction.

And how!

You can change your mind... but you have to do so knowing it'll be your fault that people have spent the last 5-7 years remembering everything you say, have your statements bookmarked and have been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a chance to catch you in a contradiction. As long as you know that their life is your fault. You can change your mind as much as you want.

THOSE MOTHER****ERS!

Anyone have a screen grab of that thread where faba was drunk on Limoncello and started talking about the time he boned Valerie Bertinelli?

That's nothing.  He posted his Silence of the Lambs dance in the mod lounge. Twice.

I use a still from that video as my phone wallpaper.  And of course I make sure there's no app icon in the 3rd row, 3rd column. 

That's nothing. He posted his Silence of the Lambs dance in the mod lounge. Twice.

I use a still from that video as my phone wallpaper. And of course I make sure there's no app icon in the 3rd row, 3rd column.

I can't tell you how much this imagery has me freaked out right now.

Archived