This can't be true

Gastineau Lives

I'm not even talking about the forty time. Is this guy really fully healthy?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3671/antonio-cromartie

Antonio Cromartie claims to have ran a 4.36 forty during an offseason workout.

It's obviously not an official time, but Cromartie looks fully healthy after playing through a hip injury in 2013. The Cardinals are counting on a bounce back year from Cromartie, giving him a one-year, $3.25 million deal to bookend shadow CB Patrick Peterson. Cromartie was clocked at 4.47 during the 2006 Combine.

Probably hand timed by a relative most likely at a family barbeque. Even so.... it will all play out on the field. He will be very busy, as every team will be throwing to the other side of P.P. He'll need ALL of that 4.36 speed seeing their schedule

But, but... Agapito has assured us that Idzik is a genius and Antonio Cromartie will never play well again!

If Antonio does come back and have several good years, I won't begrudge him a bit.  He gave us all we could have hoped for when we signed him, but in 2013 he was injured and was a liability on the field.  Idzik decided to rebuild the secondary with other players, which is reasonable.  I hope Cromartie does come back.  Idzik had to do what he felt was best for the team.

I think they wanted to transition to getting younger at the position. Especially with how crazy the CB market became this past season.  Ultimately, the new kid has to be better than any veteran he's replacing, but it's an easier transition when said veteran hasn't been with the team for a number of years. i.e. it'll be easier to hand a starting job from Patterson to McDougle than from Cromartie to McDougle, even if the play was roughly equal between Patterson and Cromartie.

A locker room is more than just names on a roster. They have personalities and friends and loyalties from one to another. It's a big thing when demoting a guy who's been here for years. I think it makes the job easier, and half think it was Idzik doing this to take the matter out of Ryan's hands, as I do think it's at least a difficulty he has (benching a veteran who he's built a personal relationship with, like Bart Scott).  

What made the decision so much easier is how terrible Cromartie was last year.  What he made obvious is that when his speed isn't there, he's a liability. Revis plays at 75% and he's still a top 5 corner because he's more than just physically gifted; Cromartie plays at 75% and he finishes the season ranked like 102 out of a possible 105 corners.

Camp hasn't started yet, but as of today I think it's looking like there's a good chance Patterson starts the season, gets injured by the midway point, and then gets Wally Pipp'd by McDougle.  When he comes back, he can also fill in for slot duty or worst-case would be the best "#4 corner" in the league for the balance of the season.  If this happens, and McDougle ends up being a good one who just needed to be eased in over the first 1-2 months (like most), I'd consider Patterson to be the perfect FA pickup for the situation.  

It's obviously not an official time, but Cromartie looks fully healthy after playing through a hip injury in 2013. The Cardinals are counting on a bounce back year from Cromartie, giving him a one-year, $3.25 million deal to bookend shadow CB Patrick Peterson. Cromartie was clocked at 4.47 during the 2006 Combine.

he isnt good enuf to be a #1 sh*t down and he wanted too much for a #2 CB................IMHO anyways ;)

Once a vet guy starts holding all the time, he never stops.

What made the decision so much easier is how terrible Cromartie was last year.  What he made obvious is that when his speed isn't there, he's a liability. Revis plays at 75% and he's still a top 5 corner because he's more than just physically gifted; Cromartie plays at 75% and he finishes the season ranked like 102 out of a possible 105 corners.

This

Archived