NY Jets Report Card: Week 1

JetNation

Chris Ivory

New York Jets Report CardChris Ivory

Week 1: Oakland Raiders @ New York Jets

QB: C-

Geno Smith: 23/28, 1 TD, 1 INT, 10 rushes for 38 yards, 1 fumble

Michael Vick: 0/1

There was a lot to like about Geno Smith’s day. He showed off his speed on multiple occassions and was mostly accurate on the day, leading the team effortlessly between the 20’s. His few mistakes were big mistakes, though, as he threw an interception, lost a fumble and took too many sacks when he should have thrown the ball away. One sack in particular cost the Jets 3 points, as it knocked them out of field goal range. Still, by and large, this was a step forward for the sophomore QB.

Backs: A

Chris Johnson: 13 carries for 68 yards, 5 receptions for 23 yards, 1 TD

Chris Ivory: 10 carries for 102 yards, 1 TD

Bilal Powell: 1 carry for 4 yards

Johnson, Ivory and Powell are the perfect combination for the Jets and they showed that in a big way against the Raiders. Johnson was a threat both on the ground and in the air, and Ivory looked an awful lot like Johnson on a huge touchdown scamper that all but sealed the game for the Jets.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: B+

Eric Decker: 5 receptions for 74 yards

David Nelson: 1 reception for 17 yards

Jeremy Kerley: 5 receptions for 38 yards

Greg Salas: 1 reception for 12 yards

Jeff Cumberland: 4 receptions for 50 yards

Jace Amaro: 2 receptions for 7 yards

This group caught almost everything that was thrown in their vicinity, and boy isn’t it nice to have a young and talented receiver like Decker join the corps. Despite their success on the day, the team struggled to score in the red zone—something that newcomers like Decker and Amaro should be able to help out on in the future.

Offensive Line: C

This offensive line has a nasty streak, and they rode that to over 200 yards rushing. But that nasty streak also presents dangers, as the group was flagged for penalty after penalty… from holding to false starts to personal fouls.

Defensive Line: A-

The defensive line didn’t record a sack, but they sure disrupted the Raiders offense. Don’t let a clean, efficient looking stat line like Carr’s (20/32, 2 TD, 0 INT) mislead you, this unit was up in his face all day long.

Linebackers: A-

It was an outstanding game for the backers, as they limited the talented running back duo of Jones-Drew and McFadden to a combined 26 yards on 13 carries today. Coples forced a fumble and Babin recorded a sack.

Secondary: B+

The much talked about Jets secondary held up just fine against the Raiders rookie QB. Can it hold its own against teams like Green Bay and Chicago, though? I doubt it. Still, credit where credit is due: there were few major gaffes on the day, and quite a bit to like.

Coaching: D

The Jets lost the turnover battle yet again, and committed nearly 3 times as many penalties as the Raiders (11:4). Those are the kind of mistakes that better teams will make you pay for.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DgsFtOmt1Qw

View the full article

I would give Geno a B-. Geno #'s would have been much different if it weren't for ridiculous penalties bad play calling in the redzone. I agree with the coaches getting a D because outside of the Geno INT which was just a great play by Woodson more than just a terrible throw by Geno, the offensive play calls in the redzone was seriously botched. 

I would give Geno a B-. Geno #'s would have been much different if it weren't for ridiculous penalties bad play calling in the redzone. I agree with the coaches getting a D because outside of the Geno INT which was just a great play by Woodson more than just a terrible throw by Geno, the offensive play calls in the redzone was seriously botched. 

I may even give Geno a B.  The kid held his composure all game...and even under pressure he did very well.  He has definitely improved from last year.

I may even give Geno a B.  The kid held his composure all game...and even under pressure he did very well.  He has definitely improved from last year.

I want to agree with this and I was one of his biggest doubters last year.  I just can't go that high.  I'll give him a small pass on the INT, but the fumble and sack were both plays that individually could have and would have lost us this game against a better opponent.  Had that been the case, we'd be arguing D vs. D+.  So anything in the C range seems fair.  His passing was mostly solid and he seemed more poised than last year, but he was responsible for killing 3 drives.  Still, I'm hopeful that he'll be racking up better grades based on what I saw today.

I wanted to say B, but I didnt want to seem like I was just being a fan, but I do agree. I wasn't even pissed at the pick, It was Charles Woodson! lol. Awesome play on his part, but Geno completed like 85% of his passes, and that was with the drops. He had a sh_t load of yards taken from him due to penalties and he did have a deep TD pass dropped by Salas. 

I say B- because there were plays, like that last sack that took us out of field goal range, that could have cost us big. He played great, even with the bad play calling and bullish_t penalties, but he did at least once put the game in jeopardy with bad (2nd year type) decisions. 

I wanted to say B, but I didnt want to seem like I was just being a fan, but I do agree. I wasn't even pissed at the pick, It was Charles Woodson! lol. Awesome play on his part, but Geno completed like 85% of his passes, and that was with the drops. He had a sh_t load of yards taken from him due to penalties and he did have a deep TD pass dropped by Salas. 

I say B- because there were plays, like that last sack that took us out of field goal range, that could have cost us big. He played great, even with the bad play calling and bullish_t penalties, but he did at least once put the game in jeopardy with bad (2nd year type) decisions. 

Okay, maybe the Salas dropped TD can nudge him from C+ to B-.  I'm on the fence :)

Okay, maybe the Salas dropped TD can nudge him from C+ to B-.  I'm on the fence :)

Go back and watch the game again. Geno actually had one of his best games as a Jet. The problem is that the stats dont reflect it. He completed over 80% of his passes, and its not like he only threw 10 passes, he threw 28, and that would have been more without the penalties. He ran for 40 yards picking up 1st downs to keep drives alive. If Marty didnt get cute with the ridiculous play calling in the redzone and if it wasn't for the refs calling ridiculous holding penalties or offensive pass interference penalties (both on Decker) as well as the dropped TD by Salas and another possible dropped pass (though slightly too high) by cumby then Geno would have completed like 85% of his passes and had like 3 TD and over 300 yards and 40 rushing yards. 

Geno Smith had a very good day if you look at the game again. All of the theories aside, just look at his decision making and his movement in the pocket. The guy should not have only been sacked twice, there were at least 3 plays where he avoided the sack and either completed a pass or ran the ball. The kid looked like a pro out there. 

Go back and watch the game again. Geno actually had one of his best games as a Jet. The problem is that the stats dont reflect it. He completed over 80% of his passes, and its not like he only threw 10 passes, he threw 28, and that would have been more without the penalties. He ran for 40 yards picking up 1st downs to keep drives alive. If Marty didnt get cute with the ridiculous play calling in the redzone and if it wasn't for the refs calling ridiculous holding penalties or offensive pass interference penalties (both on Decker) as well as the dropped TD by Salas and another possible dropped pass (though slightly too high) by cumby then Geno would have completed like 85% of his passes and had like 3 TD and over 300 yards and 40 rushing yards. 

Geno Smith had a very good day if you look at the game again. All of the theories aside, just look at his decision making and his movement in the pocket. The guy should not have only been sacked twice, there were at least 3 plays where he avoided the sack and either completed a pass or ran the ball. The kid looked like a pro out there. 

I'm coming around.  No argument his passing and general demeanor were good.  I will admit I liked his moxie running with the ball.  Even though he took some hits, he extended drives.  It's only week 1 but he's going to have to clean up the messy stuff fast now because they're off to Lambeau and turnovers there are going to be a lot more dangerous. 

How is Geno a C-??? he only missed 5 passes and one was missed because of a great interception by a great player. He made a lot of great throws. That's not a fair grade. I think the designed run on the 2 yard line (not entirely positive it was designed, looked it though) was a horrible play call. A fair grade would be a B. 

C- for Geno is just wrong.

He took a 19 yard sack that knocked us out of FG range and he fumbled twice losing one. His INT led directly to a Raiders TD. C- is fair I think. He played decently when he wasn't making those knucklehead mistakes and his decision making is much quicker than it was last year. Still, Carr faced a heavy rush all game, is a rookie in his first action, and probably played as well or better than Geno. Without the turnovers or monster sack. You'd expect Geno to outplay Carr in his first start.

Special Teams?  Kickers?

Added, thanks for the heads up.

He really did, and I don't deny that. He had an excellent game in a lot of ways. It's just unfortunate that the few mistakes he did make ended up costing the team big time, and so I didn't think you could go above a C there. The INT turned into 7 for the Raiders, the fumble took points off our board, as did the sack that forced him out of field goal range. There were a couple of overthrows in there, too.

What's weird is that he was nearly perfect on every play besides those ones, but those were killer.

How is Geno a C-??? he only missed 5 passes and one was missed because of a great interception by a great player. He made a lot of great throws. That's not a fair grade. I think the designed run on the 2 yard line (not entirely positive it was designed, looked it though) was a horrible play call. A fair grade would be a B. 

C- is definitely too harsh but Geno needs to protect the football.   1 int and 2 fumbles is too much and too much a reminder of last season.   It doesn't matter how well you throw if you give away TDs every game. 

I really wasn't pissed at the pick, when I seen the replay in slow motion, Charles woodson just made a great play. That play was less about it being simply a "bad" throw and more of Geno not really knowing how good Woodson was. Big difference. Any grade in the C category or below isn't really representing the performance. 

Grades are spot on. Nice job.

Thanks. I had a difficult time with a few of them, especially Geno.

I really wasn't pissed at the pick, when I seen the replay in slow motion, Charles woodson just made a great play. That play was less about it being simply a "bad" throw and more of Geno not really knowing how good Woodson was. Big difference. Any grade in the C category or below isn't really representing the performance. 

I hear you. It's a tricky one. If you take out the fumble that he lost, the pick and the sack that knocked them out of FG range, then I think he's in the A range. But each of those 3 mistakes was a point swing one way or another. You have to drop him for that, right?

Added, thanks for the heads up.

He really did, and I don't deny that. He had an excellent game in a lot of ways. It's just unfortunate that the few mistakes he did make ended up costing the team big time, and so I didn't think you could go above a C there. The INT turned into 7 for the Raiders, the fumble took points off our board, as did the sack that forced him out of field goal range. There were a couple of overthrows in there, too.

What's weird is that he was nearly perfect on every play besides those ones, but those were killer.

All good points, I guess if you're looking at it from a pessimistic point of view then you can certainly say that his performance was a C, if you look at it from a optimistic view then it would be in the B range. 

The pick did create 7 points, but it wasn't a "bad" int, it was a great play by woodson. Not every safety in the league could make that play. The sack that took us out of field goal range I'm in complete agreement with. It was a bonehead play and could have cost us the game. The 2 fumbles I sit squarely on Martys lap, for those two plays should not have been called. Both plays did not put the players in the best position to succeed. Thats a coaching bad more than it was Geno because the result derived from bad play calling. Darrell Bevell from the Seahawks wouldnt have made those calls. He wouldn't have exposed his franchise QB to those types of hits with stupid play calls just to get a celebrity back up QB on the field for a bit of "trickeration". 

With that said, if Geno gets a C then the B+ that the receiving corps have gotten should certainly be changed because Salas and Cumby dropped 14 pts, which would have contributed to Geno's performance. 

C- is definitely too harsh but Geno needs to protect the football.   1 int and 2 fumbles is too much and too much a reminder of last season.   It doesn't matter how well you throw if you give away TDs every game. 

I agree, I think that we'll continue to see him make better decisions as the year goes on. The fumbles do need to stop

Carr did not play anywhere close to Geno. Throw out the garbage TD late. Carr was like 16/27 for like 120 yards. Every pass he threw was within 5 yards of the LOS. Besides the first few possessions the game like Rex Ryan said it was a "rat kill". The score didn't reflect the beat down the Jets put on them offensively and defensively.

When Geno threw that pick at the 20. That's the only time the Raiders moved the ball. Besides that the defense really didn't let them go anywhere.

But then again who cares what it reflects. A win is a win. And our qb looked like a top 16 nfl qb rather then a bottom 16 qb. I'll take that every week.

I agree with this -- I think a C- is too low.  23-28-221 without the mistakes is an A performance.  Knock him down a  half grade for each mistake -- the pick, the fumble and the sack, and you are at a low B.  Considering the drop by Salas on what may have been Geno's best throw of the day, I would say a "B" is fair.

That pass was late, from memory. decker was open and had already turned to the QB before geno threw, he should've thrown it as he was coming out of the break. It took a great play by Woodson though, you are right on that

The salas pass was slightly overthrown, but admittedly he should've had it. 

I think C- is too low, maybe a C ... but again, and INT and 2 fumbles + that horrible sack costing us 3 points.. Hard to give someone a B for that. He gave the raiders 7 and cost us at least 6, maybe more. If he does that against anyone but bottom feeders starting rookie QB's, we lose that game.

That pass was late, from memory. decker was open and had already turned to the QB before geno threw, he should've thrown it as he was coming out of the break. It took a great play by Woodson though, you are right on that

I think C- is too low, maybe a C ... but again, and INT and 2 fumbles + that horrible sack costing us 3 points.. Hard to give someone a B for that. He gave the raiders 7 and cost us at least 6, maybe more. If he does that against anyone but bottom feeders starting rookie QB's, we lose that game.

I agree with this. A solid C for Geno. The Jets should've been running away with that game in the first half, rather than scrambling to get back into it at that point. He looks a lot better, no doubt about that, and grades in the B and A range look like they'll be in his future, but you can't turn the ball over twice in a game. You only get back into the B grade range like that with 400 yards and 4 TDs to go with them.

I was happy to see Geno slide after the fumble on his run. Agree with Villian 100%, too, that the play calling in the redzone was horrendous. Let Vick stand on the sideline and be a mentor/backup. Yes, if Vick hit that TD pass it would've been an exciting play, but it's pretty low percentage to expect a guy cold off the bench to come in and fire a strike on the run like that. That's what makes it a bad call. The Jets weren't having a terrible time moving the football, no need to get fancy down there. I love smart play calls, but I hate when they outsmart themselves.

I think Geno should be closer to a B-  The Sack was his worst play and the INT, a great play by woodson, but Geno starred down the receiver on that... The lost fumble should have been down by contact, but he's got to protect the ball and his body more or we'll be seeing Simms by mid season after Geno and Vick get hurt...

The Dline played very well, but if you penalize the Oline for the Penalties, you need to penalize them as well, the offsides on 3rd and long drive me crazy and the roughing the passer could have been avoided.. 

Good points. 

What blew my mind was the fact we were running the ball down their throats and decided it was better to get fancy at the goal line 1st and goal at the 4. That is mind boggling and Shottyesque what was even more disturbing was that we telegraphed the play even though the first time we tried to use Vick as a decoy/ if your running the ball well and you want to throw at the god damn goal line use play action geez.

I don't hold much against the offense for the early penalty calls that really hurt our first 2 drives. most of those calls were total bullsh*t the only real holding calls I saw was the one on Decker and the one on the field goal attempt by Brick the others should have been no calls IMHO.

I would give Geno a B-. Why a C minus? To me, C minus is awful, and he was far from awful. Guys throw some interceptions. Brady and Manning do too. When t is a really good play on the other side, I barely sniff at it. The fumble and the sack were his fault. But the team moved up and down the field. 2 or 3 penalties instead of what we had and maybe someone not dropping a TD.............

Archived