I never thought that I could hate any QB more than Sanchez

DonCorleone

That makes no sense at all. Rex wanted Braylon and Holmes. Rex wants weapons.

That was in 2010. Since then, we have used the majority of our high draft picks and free agency spending on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't want this to turn into a Rex Ryan attack as that is not my intent. I am merely pointing out that today's loss was not on Geno Smith. We all must step back and realize that we are in the second year of a four-year rebuild and this is to be expected considering we have not yet rebuilt our receivers, tight ends, and secondary to compete with the big boys.

SAR I

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was in 2010. Since then, we have used the majority of our high draft picks and free agency spending on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't want this to turn into a Rex Ryan attack as that is not my intent. I am merely pointing out that today's loss was not on Geno Smith. We all must step back and realize that we are in the second year of a four-year rebuild and this is to be expected considering we have not yet rebuilt our receivers, tight ends, and secondary to compete with the big boys.

SAR I

you left out OG

it's the same shopping list we had 5 months ago

FML

Our "elite" D stops being elite once you pass the D-Line.

Milliner + Wilson should just line up facing the end zone as they're always playing with the backs turned.  Loss wasn't on Geno.  They started out well on offense, why does the game plan change through out.  Unreal.  Tough loss.  

SAR I

SAR I

Milliner + Wilson should just line up facing the end zone as they're always playing with the backs turned.  Loss wasn't on Geno.  They started out well on offense, why does the game plan change through out.  Unreal.  Tough loss.  

With the CB's we have, who has said this defense is elite?  They have a chance to be very good because of their front-7.

This is both true and inaccurate.

The secondary isn't great, but Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls were actually doing okay. Considering the difference in the game was Dee Milliner getting schooled by Jordy Nelson, I have to put this one on coaching. Why do you take out guys who are doing an adequate job in a position you're weak at for a guy who had a rocky rookie year and is coming back from an injury?

TD to Decker and the TD that the refs screwed the Jets on were his only nice throws. He also added about 10 horrible, horrible throws. He makes screen passes look like the toughest throw in the playbook.

There is something to be said for that.  In the 2nd half when Geno was rattled, he couldn't throw accurate short passes.  There were a couple that looked like they could've been intercepted. 

you left out OG

it's the same shopping list we had 5 months ago

FML

Agreed.  We did some nice things today, I thought it would be an uncompetitive blowout.

This is what happens to rebuilding teams; you can get 80% of the way there but it takes 100% to win consistently and against elite NFL teams.

SAR I

Don't think Smith is much better than an average QB on his best day. But if you take his stats and add the TD that was washed away, this was a pretty good day in a rough road game. Not really fair to compare him to Pick Six on a day he deserved a win.

And suspect you never saw Rick Mirer, Neil O'Donnell or Bubby Brister.

Here we go again, Jets fans trying to blame the quarterback when the team is not built to win this way. The Rex Ryan system is built on a ferocious defense and a power running game. We don't have the quarterback or the receivers to run a high-powered aerial attack.

When a quarterback amasses a 21-3 lead and that lead is blown you look straight at the defense. Rex's defense allowed the Packers to go 97 yards with a minute and a half to go in the first half, game was over right there. Idzik's secondary is, as predicted, Swiss cheese against a quality quarterback and we were victimized on huge plays. With a head coach of Rex Ryan's tenure we should not be experiencing too many men on the field penalties, personal fouls, pass interference, and the undisciplined crap the way we do.

I actually do not like Geno Smith. However, you cannot pin this loss on him.

SAR I

Your profile pic cracks me up.  The "Mount Rushmore" of bad Jet coaches.

Mark Sanchez was consistently on the list of "Top 5 biggest problems" his entire tenure here.  Even when we won games he looked lousy for most of them.

Geno was not even close to a top 5 problem today.  He led us to TD's on his first three drives, which in ordinary circumstances would be good enough to win.  Not to mention, after our defense imploded, gave up 8 points and lost our best defensive player to ejection, he went out and led a game-tying FG drive, AND later on what should have been another game tying TD if not for Timeout-gate.

Despite everything going on around him Geno looked poised and willing to shake off mistakes, something Mark Sanchez was never able to do.  If he was behind center we lose this game by at least three TD's.

The secondary isn't great, but Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls were actually doing okay. Considering the difference in the game was Dee Milliner getting schooled by Jordy Nelson, I have to put this one on coaching. Why do you take out guys who are doing an adequate job in a position you're weak at for a guy who had a rocky rookie year and is coming back from an injury?

I agree, the corners were playing well before Milliner came in.  Coaching def. gets the worst grade of the day.  

Geno Smith is a drive killer.  Blame everyone and everything else and forget that he is inconsistent and inaccurate.  Missed a wide open Decker on a deep ball, threw well behind Kerley and was lucky it wasn't picked, missed high by a mile on a simple screen to CJ.  All drive killers.  Deny it all you want.  We're used to denying awful QB play, I know.  But step back and see whats in front of you.

I think if Decker kept running full speed he would've caught that ball and probably take it to the house. He looked like he slowed down to me, and then tried to make up for it when he realized he misjudged the ball.

I think if Decker kept running full speed he would've caught that ball and probably take it to the house. He looked like he slowed down to me, and then tried to make up for it when he realized he misjudged the ball.

+1

Decker's route and misjudgement cost us a TD there.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez was consistently on the list of "Top 5 biggest problems" his entire tenure here.  Even when we won games he looked lousy for most of them.

Another way to look at it is "a QB can only rise to the level of the playmakers around him" and once you get past Kerley and Decker there's nothing else there in the passing game.

Said it before with Sanchez, say it now with Smith- investing in a QB isn't enough, you have to invest in some stud playmakers around him. The best the Jets offense has looked the last 30 years was when Sanchez had the likes of Leon Washington, Ladanian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Dustin Keller, etc. We actually could scare opposing defensive coordnators with a multi-dimensional attack. These says, no dice.

SAR I

TD to Decker and the TD that the refs screwed the Jets on were his only nice throws. He also added about 10 horrible, horrible throws. He makes screen passes look like the toughest throw in the playbook.

Agreed!   Oh but he is getting better

I've heard that said about the last 15 jet QBs

Basically that was the game.  Getting time for last years #1 draft choice to get back into game shape is good, but you've got a tough road win in your pocket if you keep the starting CBs in there.

The turnovers when we have guaranteed points have got to stop.

all QBs throw a dicey pass now and again, whatever the reason, and he wa sh*t on this one. What we have are soccer players for wideouts. It would have been easy for Sudfeld to break that up. I liked what I saw from Geno yesterday. For the first time I am really encouraged by his ability. Too bad the offense quit on himn in the second period.

It's not Geno's fault that the offensive coordinator and head coach like to play games with the strategy. You think it's any wonder that as soon as they started back with the short passes with about 10 left in the 4th that the offense started marching down field again?

Then again, it's totally Geno's fault that he was 33% in the second half

He's a 2nd year QB who has showed very good improvement over his rookie year.

What do you want him to do?

Your OC lost that game today, not Geno.

To me this OC starts the games well, but gets vanilla fast. Oh he still pulls a gimmick play out of his ass (and some of them are downright dumb), but he becomes very predictable in the second half. Drop back, throw the ball into tight places to covered wideouts. In the first half the ball was going all over the field---and the protection was better.

Archived