It will take multiple first rounders to get Jim Harbaugh - As per BILL BARNWELL

CobraVerde

Oakland just might be dumb enough.

Matk Davis might be, but Jim Harbaugh isn't . He isn't going to a team that throws away high draft choices.( he needs those picks to turn around a team.

Jim Harbaugh can't be traded without his consent , and he will either be coaching the 49ers , or coaching the Raiders in 2015. the ball in Jim Harbaugh court , and why if traded won't be for more than a fifth rounder Imo.

Are you serious?

How many first rounders actually become what they're hyped up to be?

Would we be passing on some kind of future superstar?

Harbaugh is a SURE THING. I'd take the sure thing over some college kid that probably won't be as good as advertised. Especially with the kind of 'track record' the Jets have when it comes to drafting.

Harbaugh is sure thing? How has he done this yr? Sure things don't go 7-6 with a $126mil QB under the helm. 

Outside of the 2011 draft (where players were scouted under the old regime), how well has his drafts been? ZERO starter from his 2012 (sounds familiar? Atleast we have Amaro starting). In 2013, he drafted ONE starter (1st rounder), and one filler in the 7th round. 2014? Carlos Hyde and Boreland. They had I think 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Boreland seems like the real deal. Not sure about Hyde. The rest? Haven't done anything significant. 

His drafts reminds me a lot of Idzik stuff. Decent first yr draft with 5 players starting (Milliner, Sheldon, Geno, Winter, Aboushi) at some point. 2nd year draft not so much, but still have Amaro as a starter while Dexter may end up being a starter. 

Yeah, sure thing. 

How accurate is this report btw?  I listen to the NFL Podcast from Grantland, which has Barnwell on it, and they specifically mentioned that the 49ers have no leverage now.  They said, last year the 49ers could have gotten multiple first round picks before there was any hint of a blemish in the relationship between coach and GM, but now it's too late.   They both figured that the 49ers and him would mutually part ways in the offseason.   

Besides that, what I think complicates the matter for any trade is Michigan.  They are a big enough program that is desperate, that if Harbough doesn't like the team that he's traded to, he will walk away to Michigan, and they'll pay whatever money it is to compensate for breach of contract.  The amount of money influx that Harbough would bring to Michigan just from the boosters on hearing that he was hired would be more than enough I think to pay the penalties.   

I think Harbough goes to the.......................Bengals.  Talented team, cap space, he's will think he can fix Dalton, and a team that is desperate for winning.   If he got to choose an NFL team, that might have an opening, I think he goes there.  Plus, he gets to play his brother twice a year.  

SF will be lucky to get a 3rd. And after this season he may just be let go anyway. What is stopping and killing Baalke and York is that he may go across the bay to Oakland. He wants out and my guess is that they let him go anywhere but Oakland with no comp. 

How accurate is this report btw?  I listen to the NFL Podcast from Grantland, which has Barnwell on it, and they specifically mentioned that the 49ers have no leverage now.  They said, last year the 49ers could have gotten multiple first round picks before there was any hint of a blemish in the relationship between coach and GM, but now it's too late.   They both figured that the 49ers and him would mutually part ways in the offseason.   

Besides that, what I think complicates the matter for any trade is Michigan.  They are a big enough program that is desperate, that if Harbough doesn't like the team that he's traded to, he will walk away to Michigan, and they'll pay whatever money it is to compensate for breach of contract.  The amount of money influx that Harbough would bring to Michigan just from the boosters on hearing that he was hired would be more than enough I think to pay the penalties.   

I think Harbough goes to the.......................Bengals.  Talented team, cap space, he's will think he can fix Dalton, and a team that is desperate for winning.   If he got to choose an NFL team, that might have an opening, I think he goes there.  Plus, he gets to play his brother twice a year.  

he can't get along with Baalke and you think he will get along with the Brown family?

My understanding is that trading coaches works differently than trading players. Basically, the 49ers would give another team permission to negotiate with Harbaugh while he was under contract to them. Once those two sides come to an agreement, the '9ers would then release the coach, and the receiving team would hand over the compensation.

Under that scenario, Harbaugh could simply refuse to negotiate with any team he didn't want to join. Michigan is a factor only in driving up his contract, IMHO.

You think either brother wants that? I don't think so.

Not worth multiple first round picks. How will we ever get a QB without any top picks. It sounds like something Oakland would do

NFL is all about the HC and QB.  You need both and can get both in 1 off-season.

Don't trade this year's pick.  Offer the 49ers Muhammed Wilkerson + next year's 1st rd pick.  Justin Smith is about to retire so they need a DE.  We can move Coples to DE and resign Babin.

Wilk is a great player but we didn't miss him in the Miami game with Coples at his spot and Babin at OLB.

NFL is all about the HC and QB.  You need both and can get both in 1 off-season.

Don't trade this year's pick.  Offer the 49ers Muhammed Wilkerson + next year's 1st rd pick.  Justin Smith is about to retire so they need a DE.  We can move Coples to DE and resign Babin.

Wilk is a great player but we didn't miss him in the Miami game with Coples at his spot and Babin at OLB.

Nobody berated this idea yet?  I have no real comment other than a simple no. 

My understanding is that trading coaches works differently than trading players. Basically, the 49ers would give another team permission to negotiate with Harbaugh while he was under contract to them. Once those two sides come to an agreement, the '9ers would then release the coach, and the receiving team would hand over the compensation.

Under that scenario, Harbaugh could simply refuse to negotiate with any team he didn't want to join. Michigan is a factor only in driving up his contract, IMHO.

You think either brother wants that? I don't think so.

I think Michigan is the trump card here.  The main reason he wants to get out of the SF is that he wants more power within the organization, similar to what maybe Chip Kelly got with the Eagles.  Infact, I think Kelly is the reason why there is an issue in SF, because Harbough competed directly with him, even beat him a few times, and yet Kelly got more power handed to him when he came over to the NFL, and Harbough wanted the same, most likely because he's competitive with Kelly.  So for him to get more power, he would atleast have partial GM powers, so in essence, any negotiation he would be doing would be with himself.   If he wants to go to the Raiders, why would he relent to a trade that will cost them a pick (say a 2nd rd pick) and thus hurt his future power position, when he can say I'm going to go Michigan if you won't release me.  The 49ers would gain nothing in that scenario and Harbough won't be hurt at all.  If Michigan wasn't in the hunt, then there is uncertainty involved, and Harbough would just want to go to another team and give up the second round pick.   With Michigan involved, he can hold out, until they both come to a buyout, where Harbough gets to leave, and the 49ers save some money by not firing him.   

I think the brothers would go for it, because the monetary benefits in terms of endorsements would be high.  I think during the Superbowl, they did a bunch of commercials where they were pinned against each other, and forming a rivalry there would only expand on it.  Both of them would be more in the media spotlight, which should get them more fame and money.  I think the money will outweigh the dread of beating your own brother's team.  

he can't get along with Baalke and you think he will get along with the Brown family?

I don't think it's that he couldn't get along with Baalke, I think it's because Harbough demanded more power after he saw Chip Kelly get more power and succeed.  Until Kelly entered the league, we didn't really hear much of anything between Baalke and Harbough, other than great praise for each other.   Baalke is an established GM, so he wouldn't want to give up the power, and that escalated the problems.   If he goes to the Bengals, Harbough would already be coming in and negotiating the power that he wants in the first place, so there shouldn't be conflicts afterwards.   

You're crazy.

That's way too much for a coach.  There are plenty of qualified coaches out there don't give up that much for one.

I'd take Harbaugh in a second....he did wonders for Alex Smith after being in the league for years underwhelming and turned Kap into a beast for a while despite his limitations reading defenses......but not for multiple first rounders.....especially if that were to include our high 2015 first rounder.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Personally I'd give up a 2nd rounder, that's how highly I hold him......hell throw in a 4th too, as long as he has someone with a great back round in scouting to work with him personal wise.

Doubt it happens though as I can see the Raiders giving up more and giving him more control.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Be realistic, how long do you think Harbaugh would last in NY?

Harbaugh is thick as a brick.  The guy is made for NY. He's a no nonsense mastermind.  He's won in college, he's won in the pros. he's a great QB coach and a great motivator.

He'd be perfect for the Jets. And he is leaving so any trade that would go down would have to be to his preference and not be a scalping.  Say a 3rd rounder this year and a 2nd or higher next year based on team record.   

You're crazy.

That's way too much for a coach.  There are plenty of qualified coaches out there don't give up that much for one.

Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the NFL and in college.  He could take this pile of crap roster we have now and win 9 or 10 games.  Alex Smith was considered an NFL bust qb before Jim Harbaugh became his coach.  He absolutely is worth it and head and shoulders above the Dan Quinns and Doug Marrones.

Harbaugh is thick as a brick.  The guy is made for NY. He's a no nonsense mastermind.  He's won in college, he's won in the pros. he's a great QB coach and a great motivator.

He'd be perfect for the Jets. And he is leaving so any trade that would go down would have to be to his preference and not be a scalping.  Say a 3rd rounder this year and a 2nd or higher next year based on team record.   

Harbaugh is exactly the type of coach you bring after Rex.  You want a no-nonsense ass-kicker who is excellent at X's and O's on both sides of the ball.  Bill Parcells took a 1-15 team and with almost the same roster almost made the playoffs the next season and then added a couple of his guys and almost went to a Super Bowl 2 years later.  That's the type of change Jim Harbaugh brings here so we can overpay to extend Wilk when we already have umpteen talented defensive linemen on the roster and let Idzik make another crappy 1st round pick or we can make real f'n change.

Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the NFL and in college.  He could take this pile of crap roster we have now and win 9 or 10 games.  Alex Smith was considered an NFL bust qb before Jim Harbaugh became his coach.  He absolutely is worth it and head and shoulders above the Dan Quinns and Doug Marrones.

Yeah? Because he has a significantly better roster right now, and is hovering just above .500 with it.

Archived