Poll: Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?

Jetsbb

Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I want the Jets to

• Lose to the Titans and get a better draft pick
    • Beat the Titans and get a worse draft pick

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I think it's the opposite actually. Because if we draft Matt Ryan in 2008 Mangini probably sticks around. Pac refuses to acknowledge an alternate history that does not include Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez.

Side note, but I was thinking about it today and do you realize that if the Jets blow this pick, it would be the 4th top-10 pick that the Jets have wasted in 8 years? That is nuts.

No I think it's the opposite actually.  Because if we draft Matt Ryan in 2008 Mangini probably sticks around.  Pac refuses to acknowledge an alternate history that does not include Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez.

This makes me happy that the Jets didn't draft Ryan. 

I might almost be able to openly root for the loss this week. This is a big one for draft position. Pats and fish weeks? I'll be rooting hard for the win up until the point that it's no longer viable. 

Of course it is. If we didn't win a bunch of games that had no impact on anything, Pryor isn't even a Jet to begin with.

You're confident that Idzik had OBJ above Pryor on his draft board???   :animal0029:

Regardless, he *is* on the team, and if he's an average / above average starting strong safety, that's at least something.  It's better for the Jets if he doesn't Geno himself.

But I *do* think the top few picks are different and worth tanking for.  Just not if you're in the middle / mediocre.  See e.g. 2013, we did waay better with pick #13 than we did with #9.

You are looking at this short sighted. This is not just a matter of our first round pick. It's every subsequent pick after too. These slots matter tremendously.

Aside from that, regarding the first round, winning meaningless games in December is what got us stuck with Vernon Gholston and what cost us Beckham, who we wanted badly. This is because the higher your draft picks are, the more options you have. Has nothing to do with Andrew Luck. It's every player on the board, having the option to take who you want, not just who falls to you.

If you are rooting for this team to win any of its last three games, you are rooting for it to stay a loser in the long term.

I'm not so sure I'm the one being short sighted.

The draft is an inexact science.  If it mattered to me I would spend awhile looking at drafts for the last 10 years and compare teams with the 1st overall through the top 5.  What you say may be true and teams picking 1 wound up with better drafts and more team success but my gut tells me the difference will be negligible.  Again this is 1-5..  not 1 against the 15th pick.

Plus Pac is discounting the possibility of trading down from a valuable pick slot.  No one will ever give up an RGIII-esque package again but there's a chance we could walk away from our 1st round pick with a quality player, an extra 1st rounder in 2016 and a little more.  Something like what the Browns got in the Sammy Watkins deal.  If a top QB or Amari Cooper is on the board when we pick this type of deal is very much an option for us.  It's not if we win a game like the one this weekend.

St Louis has sucked since making that deal and wake me up when the Browns make the playoffs next.  I know what you're saying but I just don't think it matters as much as you think it does.

Plus Pac is discounting the possibility of trading down from a valuable pick slot.  No one will ever give up an RGIII-esque package again but there's a chance we could walk away from our 1st round pick with a quality player, an extra 1st rounder in 2016 and a little more.  Something like what the Browns got in the Sammy Watkins deal.  If a top QB or Amari Cooper is on the board when we pick this type of deal is very much an option for us.  It's not if we win a game like the one this weekend.

...and then we could have like 12 picks or something.  A wealth of riches.

St Louis has sucked since making that deal and wake me up when the Browns make the playoffs next.  I know what you're saying but I just don't think it matters as much as you think it does.

St. Louis hasn't sucked.  The only franchise that had been worse from 2004-2012 was the Raiders.  Since then have you seen what that defense has done, especially the last couple weeks?  Even with Shaun Hill and UDFA Austin Davis as their options at QB they've been competitive in the toughest division in football. 

What the Rams netted from the RG3 deal:

CB Janoris Jenkins:  Led the NFL in defensive TD's in 2012 (4) as a rookie.  2 INT's and a FF this year (INT #'s are down because he's getting thrown at less)

LB Alec Ogletree:  198 tackles and 9 FF's in 3 seasons.

DT Michael Brockers:  90 tackles, 10.5 sacks

OT Greg Robinson:  Franchise LT

WR Stedman Bailey:  24-year old coming on of late (14 catches for 236 yds, TD in last 3 games)

RB Zac Stacy:  Lost his job to Tre Mason but has 1,257 yds and 8 TD's in 2 seasons.

Not too shabby.  We can't expect a 6-pick haul again but these are the types of moves bad franchises can make to turn things around.  Big question for them will be what they do at QB, but if they get that right, they go from a perennial 2-4 or 3-13 team to a perennial contender.

What the Rams netted from the RG3 deal:

CB Janoris Jenkins:  Led the NFL in defensive TD's in 2012 (4) as a rookie.  2 INT's and a FF this year (INT #'s are down because he's getting thrown at less)

LB Alec Ogletree:  198 tackles and 9 FF's in 3 seasons.

DT Michael Brockers:  90 tackles, 10.5 sacks

OT Greg Robinson:  Franchise LT

WR Stedman Bailey:  24-year old coming on of late (14 catches for 236 yds, TD in last 3 games)

RB Zac Stacy:  Lost his job to Tre Mason but has 1,257 yds and 8 TD's in 2 seasons.

Not too shabby.  We can't expect a 6-pick haul again but these are the types of moves bad franchises can make to turn things around.  Big question for them will be what they do at QB, but if they get that right, they go from a perennial 2-4 or 3-13 team to a perennial contender.

They've turned it around to the tune of 6-7. 

Sure the Defense looks legit but a good defense and a 6-7 record and Jets fans want your head.

All they had to do was lose that last game in Miami and OBJ would be on this team instead of Calvin Pryor. I'm sure all those "loyal" Jets fans who rooted for them to win that game would want it to have played out differently now. PS, Jets would have been 7-9 and leaped over several teams including the Giants based off of SOS. OOPS!!!!!

All they had to do was lose that last game in Miami and OBJ would be on this team instead of Calvin Pryor. I'm sure all those "loyal" Jets fans who rooted for them to win that game would want it to have played out differently now. PS, Jets would have been 7-9 and leaped over several teams including the Giants based off of SOS. OOPS!!!!!

And if they picked later in 2008 they might've ended up with Joe Flacco instead of Vernon Gholston. 

This is a choice between instant satisfaction and long-term gain.

A selfish fan wants an immediate moment of joy. 

A true fan wants what's best for the team in the long haul.. 

I think the point is there is no tangible evidence to suggest that picking 1st instead of 4th is "best for the team for the long haul".

I'm not so sure I'm the one being short sighted.

The draft is an inexact science. If it mattered to me I would spend awhile looking at drafts for the last 10 years and compare teams with the 1st overall through the top 5. What you say may be true and teams picking 1 wound up with better drafts and more team success but my gut tells me the difference will be negligible. Again this is 1-5.. not 1 against the 15th pick.

Only a Sith speaks in absolutes.

They've turned it around to the tune of 6-7. 

Sure the Defense looks legit but a good defense and a 6-7 record and Jets fans want your head.

Rams fans would have murdered people to be 6-7 during the pre-Bradford, post-Warner years.  This is a franchise that was typically winning 2 or 3 games a year.  They haven't even been mathematically eliminated yet and its Week 15.  That used to happen like Week 4.  What team would be 6-7 right now after it's # 1 overall pick QB tore his ACL for a 2nd time?  Rex would have certainly gotten a bit of a free pass if Sanchez had torn his knee up at any point in his 4 years as a starter.

Not to mention this is a team that DESPERATELY needed to start heading in the right direction in order to possibly avoid getting moved to Los Angeles (which still might happen). 

I think the point is there is no tangible evidence to suggest that picking 1st instead of 4th is "best for the team for the long haul".

Again, let me reiterate:

It's not a matter of the pick. It's a matter of having the option to not draft only the crumbs that fall down to you. There is no conceivable scenario where winning the remaining 3 games, 2 of 3, or 1 of 3, is better than having that.

I think the point is there is no tangible evidence to suggest that picking 1st instead of 4th is "best for the team for the long haul".

Perhaps, but I'd sure like to find out.  We've never sucked enough to get a top pick and thus have been basically mediocre from 1999-present (other than 2010, when we brought in pricey free agents to help "cover" for our poor drafting). 

Meanwhile, the Colts go 1-15 one year and now they're a perennial contender.  There's no Andrew Lucks in this draft, but there might be someone who badly wants to trade up thinking someone like Mariota or Cooper is worth a package of picks.  Or we might very welll draft one of those guys.  It certainly makes for a more exciting future than drafting another CB or something.

As RJF mentioned, there is zero upside to winning any of our final 3 games.  There MIGHT be some upside to losing.  So I'm OK with the latter.

And if they picked later in 2008 they might've ended up with Joe Flacco instead of Vernon Gholston. 

or they could have grew balls and just taken Flacco. 

A reach is only a reach if he busts. 

as for the original question I used to always root for the Jets to win, no matter what 

this year I'm indifferent. Win or lose doesn't really register anymore. They fried my brain. 

or they could have grew balls and just taken Flacco.

A reach is only a reach if he busts.

as for the original question I used to always root for the Jets to win, no matter what

this year I'm indifferent. Win or lose doesn't really register anymore. They fried my brain.

This was my biggest problem with the Milliner pick. Not only did you trade away the best guy in the league at that position, but you drafted the same position, for a guy whose grade was kind of the safer pick. I mean come on. You're the new GM in town, have some balls.

the jets will pick between 5 and 8

no need to stress over a win here or there

Not true in the least.  With 5 teams, including us, tied at 2-11 and one, the Redskins, at 3-10, we're looking at anywhere between 1st and 6th.   Maybe 7th if the Giants (4-9) lost out and we won out (highly unlikely scenarios).  I have no idea where you're getting this 5-8 nonsense from.  Right now I'm not sure where this mess of tiebreakers has us picking but until the dust settles, 1st pick is most definitely in play.

And there's a mighty difference between 1st and 6th.  In 2008, the 1st pick was Jake Long, a 4-time pro bowl OT.  The 6th pick was Vernon Gholston, a monumental bust.

Not true in the least.  With 5 teams, including us, tied at 2-11 and one, the Redskins, at 3-10, we're looking at anywhere between 1st and 6th.   Maybe 7th if the Giants (4-9) lost out and we won out (highly unlikely scenarios).  I have no idea where you're getting this 5-8 nonsense from.  Right now I'm not sure where this mess of tiebreakers has us picking but until the dust settles, 1st pick is most definitely in play.

And there's a mighty difference between 1st and 6th.  In 2008, the 1st pick was Jake Long, a 4-time pro bowl OT.  The 6th pick was Vernon Gholston, a monumental bust.

please tell me how all 6 teams will finish

oh, you can't

please tell me how all 10 top prospects will pan out in the NFL

oh, you can't

stop stressing

I have no idea how the tie breakers work.  because it doesn't matter right now.  there is nothing we can do about it.  we'll have months to figure out how the jets blew it and why they suck

stop stressing

Rooting for good performances from players who project to be on the team

next year.  But I won't be heartbroken if we lose.  It would be nice not to

depend on who is drafting in front of us for once

I am sort of similar. I can't root aganst my team. If I could control my emotions about this team I think I'd be more of an analyst than a fan. I watched GB vs Atl the other night and admired the high quality of play objectively. Didn't really give a hoot who won...just enjoyed the match.

With the Jets, I always want them to win. And perhaps more than that at this point, yes, you like to see good individual performances. If Geno actually put it together, I'd dance a jig.

Also, I do think winning teams win. You build a winning culture and it becomes self feeding. Like the pats or steelers.

All of that said, I'm at the point where if they lose I can pretty quickly see the silver lining.

It sucks being so uncompetitive. But in a weird way it's liberating. If they win, I'm happy. If they lose, I'm over it in like 5 minutes.

That knocked the Phags out of the playoffs. I'll keep that one.

Would like to give back one of the other 8, though.

Archived