Woody Addresses Jets Future

JetNation

Lol. Are you being snarky here? I can't tell.

I don't think Idzik is going to get a chance to fire Rex. Woody's gonna fire Idzik, first.

“It’s not a question of fondness,” Johnson said. “I’ve always thought he’s a very good coach. He’s an excellent coach, excellent teacher. The fans are going to want to see something different. They’re not going to let us get along and I don’t want to do exactly the same thing. So it’s going to be either the way we coach or the way we approach it. It could be with the same people. It might be with different people. That’s the case each and every year.”

While two years is not very long to give a general manager to get his program in place, Johnson said, “I can’t really comment whether it is short or long. I’m a fan, I represent the fans, we’re both frustrated by this.”

When it was suggested that nobody’s job is secure, he said, “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship.” He added, “We evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.”

He's not coming right out and saying it because he believes in making these moves after, not during, the season, but it's pretty clear that he feels changes are in order in both the coaching of the team and the way we approach it. As ambiguous as he's being, you don't make those changes in philosophy without making changes with the people involved.

Graves is the only name I remember. He shuffled a couple titles. I don't know what he did with the scouting department, if anything.

Idzik pretty much cleaned house

Jets hire ex-Cards GM Rod Graves

Updated: June 10, 2013, 2:27 PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

11561COMMENTS52EMAILPRINT

The New York Jets, continuing to restructure their front office under new general manager John Idzik, hired former Arizona Cardinals GM Rod Graves Monday as the senior director of football administration.

It will be a role reversal for Graves, who served as Idzik's boss in Arizona from 2004 to 2007. The two remained close, and it was reported a month ago that Idzik was targeting Graves for a position. They met as ball boys for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Graves was fired this offseason by the Cardinals after a 5-11 season, their third straight year out of the playoffs. He spent 16 years with the organization, the last nine in charge of the football operation. He had one year remaining on his contract.

Graves has a scouting background, so he should be a good complement to Idzik, who came up through the ranks primarily as a contract negotiator and cap expert.

Since replacing Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired after the season, Idzik has overhauled the front office, the scouting department and the roster.

The Jets parted ways with three executives, including assistant general manager Scott Cohen. Graves will step into the role of second in command.

The Jets also announced the hiring of Matt Bazirgan as the assistant director of pro personnel. Previously, he was an area scout. Rick Courtright was named the national college scout.

Idzik also had to replace four college scouts, two of whom were let go. He named four new scouts, including former Jets and Houston Texans cornerback Aaron Glenn, who spent last season with the Jets as a pro scout. The other new scouts are David Boller, David Hinson and Christopher Prescott.

Of Tannenbaum's closest advisers, only three survived the front-office shakeup, including former GM and current senior personnel executive Terry Bradway.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone called for Sanchez' head too. He seems to be doing good in Philly. I hope the new GM hires back Rex. I agree with Woody. Rex is an excellent coach. This is season is a result of:

1. Not using the cap space most teams used.

2. Not picking up a CB in the FA or trade when we needed one.

3. Trading for a WR when CB was a much bigger need at the time.

4. Not signing Revis when u had NOBODY at CB besides the oft-injured Milliner (who eventually essentially missed the whole yr.)

Most of it points to Idzik. Rex can only work with whoever gets on the field (street FAs as starting corners n WRs).

I'll tell ya who else hopes he rehires Rex.. Max. The board would explode. J/K

I agree that Sanchez was mishandled from day 1 and that Rex is still the same coach as when he was hired, which is incomplete. Tannenbaum although aggressive, made too many mistakes and was involved in the mishandling of Sanchez. No pass for him, sorry.

What is your plan Sar for this franchise?

Jim Harbaugh is the plan.

We need to re-do what we did from Rich Kotite to Bill Parcells. We need an angry, aggressive owner to steal the best man available for the job to bring in his own people and turn this thing around. Is Harbaugh my dream coach? No. But is he the guy suited to restore order and stop the country club atmosphere? Absolutely.

SAR I

Have you ever played pro football?  I haven't.  So what do I know?  But...

Remember what Sonny did.  He went for a star.  Too young to remember? 

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/weekend/lifestyle/will-leitch-could-joe-namath-exist-in-todays-nfl/15013325/

K.  Now that you have had your history lesson -- as if you needed one, since it mostly old ex NY geezers who opine here --, Woody, please, please draft the duck.

and you, Mr. NFL know it all, please hope the Jetsonians lose very effing game -- draft the duck. he is a legit star.  I dont want to hear your naive opinions about whether he can adapt to the NFL game.  He can, and will. No problem. Because he is a pro caliber athlete, and you are not.

So,,, stop carping about this and that and the other thing, and what you think in your micro self involved grandiose Pseudo GM mode would be  z best for the Jets.

You are just a fan.  Like me.  Not some pretend NFL executive.  And like me, you should hope the Woody will do what it takes to get the duck.

Money talks; nobody walks.  If you are from NY, you know what that means.

So when Idzik came on board he retained much if not all of the scouting department to help with that years draft.  Is that how it's normally done or can we expect a full house cleaning?  I want everyone that has anything to do with picking players gone immediately.  They've cost us 1 good coach and don't want them to start the new coach's tenure off on a bad foot.

What the new GM/personnel guru has to do is review all the scouting reports on file. what if the scout said not to draft pryor, but Idsik overrulled him. Plus you paid those guys all year and now they take the knowledge they gained to the next team. NFL teams do not normally release scouts and FO personnel to another team prior to the draft.

We don't have the whole interview in front of us but, from what's reported here, there's not a single word of praise from Woody regarding Idzik. The fans/media might be enough to push him over the edge if he's on the fence about Idzik, but there's not a word in there that suggests he's been happy with anything Idzik has done.

The head coaching job becomes significantly more attractive once Idzik is gone. Forget that he's not good at his job. The guy is clearly on the hot seat right now, and would be on a short leash going forward. What coach would want to sign onto that? A fresh start with a new GM would actually represent a more secure situation. They'd start with a clean slate, rather than the negative bias in place were Idzik to remain in place. A new GM/HC tandem would reasonably expect more time to get their program in place than a new coach signing on with Idzik - who could easily find himself out the door next year if Idzik were to continue with his questionable talent acquiring abilities.

Any GM candidate worth his salt would be able to see that Idzik was fired due to incompetence. They could also look at the lengthy tenures of Bradway, Tannenbaum, and Rex, and know that this is a place where they'll have job security as long as they perform at merely a moderately respectable level. Idzik has been a Kotitian failure. Two years is enough of that.

And Rex is still going to finish with a worse record than Herm so, really, it should be amusing to watch Woody try to sell this job to anyone who paid attention to what Idzik had to work with here. the job is a swamp, and has been since Woody bought the team. This might have been a desireable job two years ago if Woody recognized what the rest of the league apparently knew: that Rex isn't a head coach. Now, no. Nobody is risking their career signing on to work for an owner that wants to be pals with his head coach, especially when that coach stinks.

And Rex is still going to finish with a worse record than Herm so, really, it should be amusing to watch Woody try to sell this job to anyone who paid attention to what Idzik had to work with here. the job is a swamp, and has been since Woody bought the team. This might have been a desireable job two years ago if Woody recognized what the rest of the league apparently knew: that Rex isn't a head coach. Now, no. Nobody is risking their career signing on to work for an owner that wants to be pals with his head coach, especially when that coach stinks.

Idzik blows

Bleh.

Rex had one losing season in five years, including a miracle 8-8 record with the garbage he had to work with last season. He, like virtually any other NFL coach living or dead, couldn't overcome a second year of working with the absolute crap of a roster Idzik put together.

Rex is either gonna make millions of dollars talking about football or coaching football for years to come, John Idzik will be available to prepare your 2014 tax return - if you trust him to do even that.

Bleh.

Rex had one losing season in five years, including a miracle 8-8 record with the garbage he had to work with last season. He, like virtually any other NFL coach living or dead, couldn't overcome a second year of working with the absolute crap of a roster Idzik put together.

Rex is either gonna make millions of dollars talking about football or coaching football for years to come, John Idzik will be available to prepare your 2014 tax return - if you trust him to do even that.

This "one losing season" thing is beneath you, pal. The 2011 season, then 2012, were as bad a job of coaching as we've ever seen here.

Bleh.

Please.  You know Woody is going to bring back Idzik.  We need to watch Dan Quinn and Brian Hoyer go 2-14 next year.

He lost me with the jumping up and down thing this January.

He lost me at the willing to keep Rex thing 2 years ago... but I went against my better instinct and tried to be positive about the guy. This is what usually happens when I'm positive about this team.

This "one losing season" thing is beneath you, pal. The 2011 season, then 2012, were as bad a job of coaching as we've ever seen here.

In my heart, I'm convinced that Slats no longer believes anything he is saying and has in some way received tenure as a mod, so now he can just trolololololol... 

What are you five years old?  That is not a maturity comment it is an "as we've ever seen here comment"  The Jets have literally had dozens of years coached worse than that.  Hell Coughlin has probably done worse the last two years.

What you're saying here, it's sort of an extension of one of the topics I've talked about here and there with Rex and Idzik: career extension.

Sometimes you'll hear analysts talk about this, and when they do they usually shape the conversation somewhat like: coach and/or general managers in effect come into the job looking for ways to to buy years. Draft a rookie QB, you get a couple years to develop him. Install a new defense, you get a couple years to find players to fit it. Keep the old coach/coordinator, you get a couple years to see if it works and then maybe a couple more years to get your own guy to see if it's better.

All of these are generalizations, but then they also describe exactly the things we've seen over the last decade from various Jets leadership regimes. I think the NFL looks at the Jets as a destination for Peter Principle candidates that want to max out the years they spend in the role that exposes they've been over-promoted, personally.

And yet, it's also true.

There are a lot of valid complaints about Rex. His failure to develop as a complete head coach, or foster an environment where an offense can develop being chief among them. After six years, this much is obvious. I'm 100% in favor of him being let go after the season. I do hope he holds on for a week, though, so Woody can leave the job of firing him to the new GM - just for the lulz. But the vilifying of Rex, I think, is nonsense. As much as he's had a hand in the short-comings here, he's also been dealt a bad hand from the front offices he's worked for - this last one being an atrocity.

Calling 2011 or '12 as bad a job of coaching as we've ever seen here, suggests that you started watching the Jets the day Rex was hired.

Reading between the lines, it looks like the house will be cleaned and its for the best. Hit the reset button and bring in a football guy at GM and let him hire down. HC, cap guys, scouts etc.

Anyone heard names of any guy that are primed to take on a GM position? I know Gamble, even though he missed out on a few opportunities 2 years ago. Any others?

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

Kept the wrong guy, fired the wrong two guys.

You keep the GM that averaged 9.5 wins per year with a healthy quarterback since 1997, you keep the QB that won 4 playoff games when he should have been in college, you don't keep the buffoon who goes down in NFL history as the only head coach to retain his job after publicly admitting he doesn't know anything about offense nor does he care.

But I don't blame Woody Johnson. I blame you, Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan. You drink in the parking lots and you curse in front of my children and you piss on my BMW and you were so embarassed by the Tebow signing and the Buttfumble and you look and act like Rex so Woody did you a solid.

Enjoying it?

SAR I

holy crap!!! what a post.lol

I'm paying $600 a month for my car until the day I die. That's not "poor man's" anything. The wealthy lease. No one wants an old car.

SAR I

No they don't. A wealthy person buys cars with cash and trades them in at any time for new models.

Interest, monthly payments, and 3-4 year terms are for those who have no cash to burn ... like yourself.

No they don't. A wealthy person buys cars with cash and trades them in at any time for new models.

Interest, monthly payments, and 3-4 year terms are for those who have no cash to burn ... like yourself.

not sticking up for Sar here but I have some money and prefer to lease for several reasons:

1. buying a car is a bad investment. I like my money in my other investments that make me money. What is the point in handing a dealership 60k just to say I own the car?

2. my leased car is always under warranty.

3. more car for the money

4. selling or trading in my car is a pain in the ass

this is similar to my feelings. I have praise for Rex but recognize he needs to go. Idzik is just a POS.

Maybe I'm woody johnson! 

Yep.  Agreed.  Love Ryan, think he's a great coach...but change is necessary.  Idzik is a ******* joke.

Bleh.

The 8-8 season was a total abberation and illusion, amazing how many people bought into the laughable comments about Rex coaching so well that year.

We were out right gifted two games late when the other teams made bizarre mind blowing blunders and a lot of huge warning signs had appeared on the radar that were swept under the rug.  We gave up an unblievalbe number of long scoring plays that year.  Not long plays that ended in points but long play tds.  All the 8-8 record did was fool people into thinking Rex was indeed a great coach, the team was about a 5 win team on value that year and thus the crap fest of this year is no huge suprise.

One thing people also tend to ignore about rex is his terrible choice of assistants over the years.  The fact that people think Idzik is a terrible gm does not make Rex Ryan a better coach than he is.  He is a very poor HEAD football coach and slightly over rated as D coach in general.

And Rex is still going to finish with a worse record than Herm so, really, it should be amusing to watch Woody try to sell this job to anyone who paid attention to what Idzik had to work with here.

this is always where you lose me.   Idzik had 12 draft picks, $30M of cap space, and a ton of goodwill from the owner and fan base.   Remember, everyone was on Idzik's jock after he fleeced Tampa, drafted DROY, and Milliner finished strong on the way to an overachieving 8-8.  

Idzik unfortunately took that goodwill and pissed it away on Dimitri Patterson, a CB made of glass, and 3 WRs who may never catch an NFL pass in the deepest WR draft possibly in history.   That doesn't even include the 3 or 4 other draft picks who are no longer on the team.  

Idzik is also responsible for pushing all in with Geno.   He could have taken Bridgewater, JFF, Garoppolo, Carr, Savage, Murray, McCarron....but no, he brought in Vick to be a backup b/c he thought Geno was a franchise QB.   Idzik has no one to blame but himself.  

Archived