Kiper doesn't think there's a franchise QB in the 2015 NFL Draft

Gen X Jet

Bradford is really an 8-game stop gap until he goes on the IR and Winston or Mariota start.  I don't think we're trading for him anyway he's owed $13 million next year and we need all the cap room we can get to fill the 5 million holes on our roster.

You changed your tune from a 1-year stop gap to an 8-game stop gap in 39 minutes.

So you wanna waste a preseason building a system around a QB whose body you know will go "twang" in a matter of weeks?

The best thing to do is not waste a single dime or minute of your time on Sam Bradford.

He doesn't physically belong in the NFL. His body can't say it any louder.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is unless Connor Cook enters. I don't think he'll be an ANdrew luck but I think he'll be very good. 

If he doesn't enter, we should take an OT, Ogbeuhi, in round 1 and try to trade Dbrick. Take a WR in the second. Hopefully we could land Dorial Green-Beckham or Jaelen strong. I'd even be okay with Ty Montgomery in the 3rd if he falls that low.

Rebuilding the Oline is the way to go in my opinion. Draft a QB in the mid rounds. MAybe Garrett Grayson. Kid looks pretty good, just tends to stare down receivers. Get a vet in here and have Garrett sit. 

I tend to agree.

I don't believe Winston will have the dedication or work ethic to succeed. I think Mariota will, but he's have such a learning curve becoming a pocket passer that wherever he's drafted he'll end up not "saving the franchise" quickly enough. I could see him only becoming a good starter with his second team.

I hope we take Cooper, and find a QB that can do exactly what I said Mariota will do, become a good starter with his second team, after the first team gives up on him. Sam Bradford or Jake Locker maybe. I dunno.

Man if the Jets could some how land Bradford, Cooper, and Sean Payton! By some miracle Bradford actually starts staying healthy, that would be the best case scenario IMO.

I dont know who Ron Pickett is, but none of those examples are any type of proof that he's a next level player.  Hitting an underneath route vs. a cover 3 is elementary type sh*t.  Opening up your shoulders and delivering a strike is pretty much QB 101. But hey, he puts nice touch on the ball when a player is wide-open!  Haha.

I like how you ignore how he points out how Mariota freezes the safeties, but just keep on believing that Mariota sucks if that's what makes you feel better about Jamarcus Winston being better then Mariota.

I like how you ignore how he points out how Mariota freezes the safeties, but just keep on believing that Mariota sucks if that's what makes you feel better about Jamarcus Winston being better then Mariota.

Dilfer commented on MM the other day...1 read QB not sure how he translates into NFL

The one I wanted was Tyrone Prothro.  That poor bastard.  

Basically the same player as Jonathan Baldwin.

heh Dom-- Yes Tyrone was a stud, he was randall cobb before randall cobb, Got to meet him at the Ole Miss game I went to.

Yah Mumbles advised Dimitroff to not trade up for Julio and take Baldwin at original draft slot. some eye for talent he has lol

Still luv your avy

just parsing this statement does Kiper believe there won't be a QB at 1? Does he really think Leonard Williams or Andrus Peat goes 1? Cooper? When's the last time a WR went #1 Calvin Johnson? 

this is something people say in december that no one remembers in may when the QB's go off the board 1, 2. 

just parsing this statement does Kiper believe there won't be a QB at 1? Does he really think Leonard Williams or Andrus Peat goes 1? Cooper? When's the last time a WR went #1 Calvin Johnson? 

this is something people say in december that no one remembers in may when the QB's go off the board 1, 2. 

Nobody remembers it because by April they "revise" their opinions and there are 5 players that they have had as #1 at some point between the last bowl game and the draft. 

Calvin went two, no? We still need to see some bowl games, combine and all star games before thigs really shake out. I'd still be surprised if anyone but mariota or Winston went first overall. Too many QB needy teams and while either aren't great, they've got a lot of elite skills and that goes high.

Nobody remembers it because by April they "revise" their opinions and there are 5 players that they have had as #1 at some point between the last bowl game and the draft. 

there are few activities where accurately predicting the future is a requirement.

Who does it? The financial traders, the sports gamblers. it takes guts to bet on the future. There are guys in RAND think tanks trying to figure out how many bullets the military will need thats a tough job. 

There are way easier and funner times to be had, letting someone else do the predicting. 

Kiper isn't like a trader he's more like an entertainer, which include weather men and astrologers. 

But he does do the mock draft contest and usually does well. I enjoy making mock drafts because it is a huge challenge. You are going to be wrong. But it doesn't stop people from trying. 

There's a study called the good judgement project.

trying to use crowds to predict the future of world events. Full disclosure I'm on one of the teams it's really cool. 

http://www.goodjudgmentproject.com/

http://www.iarpa.gov/index.php/research-programs/ace

He froze the safety? No way!!!!   

Nobody said he sucks.  I just think both players are mediocre prospects.  I think Winston has the higher ceiling but also the bigger bust potential.  If both are available, I'd take Mariota.  

Calvin went two, no? We still need to see some bowl games, combine and all star games before thigs really shake out. I'd still be surprised if anyone but mariota or Winston went first overall. Too many QB needy teams and while either aren't great, they've got a lot of elite skills and that goes high.

Yeah Jamarcus went 1, jeez. Calvin should have been 1. That means Keyshawn was the last time it happened. 

Aaron rodgers fell down the draft board cause nobody thought he was a franchise qb. The jets need a qb. You take marriota.

Awesome post.  Alex smith went first that year and Aaron sat there looking very sad.  I believe Goodell invited him to sit at his table because nobody was left at the table he was sitting at.  They already got drafted.  Be  it Marriotta, Jameison or whoever we have to take a QB high and hope it works.  If not do it every year until you find one.  Wouldn;t mind a stop gap QB to maybe let the kid sit for a bit, but we need to try and get a franchise QB.  period.

It's amazing to me the power that the media give to guys like Mel Kipper to change public perception of a player. They put out a 'analysis' of a player based on on seeing him what twice. Maybe they read a scouting report. That becomes a public stance. It's worse in college. There is backup QB who's career I've followed the last couple of years. He got no press in college but he's got skills. Whilee other MORE TALENTED QB'S left. He stayed. Now the 'Legend' is leaving and Mr. Underrated is next in line. But even the coaches give this guy bad press and say he lacks confidence. JEEZ. I wonder why.

He froze the safety? No way!!!!   

Nobody said he sucks.  I just think both players are mediocre prospects.  I think Winston has the higher ceiling but also the bigger bust potential.  If both are available, I'd take Mariota.  

Yes, having great eye discipline is definitely not a huge deal. It's not like Geno, Tannehill, RG3, and Newton struggle with that... oh wait.

Dilfer commented on MM the other day...1 read QB not sure how he translates into NFL

Dilfer was high as sh*t on Geno, so I could give a rats ass about his opinion. 

Kipper though Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers, so take it for what it's worth. Mariota has the 2nd highest QB rating this season in college football history behind Sam Bradford.

Mariota is the best QB prospect since Luck. He should be rated higher than Bortles, higher than RGIII due to his size.

I agree that Cooper will be a super star. But why draft a WR when our QB is still less than garbage and we could sign Crabtree as a FA.

IMO, we shouldn't be picking this high again for a while so it's Mariota or bust.

Mariota has been compared to Kaepernick I wonder if Kap's decline this season will affect Mariota's stock. 

2 to 3 years ago everyone thought that these rookie QB's were now expected to win immediately - however the truth is that despite the flashing of Kap, RG3, Cam Newton, etc... you can't cut corners to be a true great QB you need years of hard, hard graduate school level study and you need to learn to play in the pocket.

Mariota has been compared to Kaepernick I wonder if Kap's decline this season will affect Mariota's stock. 

2 to 3 years ago everyone thought that these rookie QB's were now expected to win immediately - however the truth is that despite the flashing of Kap, RG3, Cam Newton, etc... you can't cut corners to be a true great QB you need years of hard, hard graduate school level study and you need to learn to play in the pocket.

I heard on Sirius NFL radio that Mariota will run the fastest 40 yard dash by a QB ever in the combines?

Don't know if thats true but if Idzik stays & we bring in his boy Bevell it will be the 1st time in forever that the Jets "design" an offense around our QBs skills.

And please before people kill me I know that just being fast means nothing but I've seen Mariota throw on the run like Russell Wilson does & he's pretty damn good at it. Bevell coming from working with Wilson would be perfect for a guy like Mariota.

Keep it simple, rebuild the Oline, keep Geno (yes, I said keep Geno), have Mariota learn an offense put together that matches both Geno & Mariotas skill sets, moving pockets ect.

If we fix the other issues with this team, Oline, CB, LB we can compete.

Anyone that thinks Bradford would be any better than Geno hasn't looked at the Rams records while he was leading them?

Watching Both Kap and Mariota play, Kap has one velocity. Mariota can sling it or throw with touch. Mariota appears better in the pocket now than Kap is currently. His accuracy is superior as well. Look at how few interceptions Mariota has thrown in his career at Oregon. Mariota has a lot more potential than Kap has, a much higher ceiling.

Is he a slam dunk? No, but he is the best opportunity the Jets have of finding our difference maker at the ONLY position that matters.

Cooper is on the small side. Not what you want from a WR in the top 5. Top 5 WRs should have the whole package. It's still early -but I could see Cooper dropping like many Alabama players before him.

Heh bub you do know cooper has same frame as Sammie Watkins, that said Jets should stay far away from Bama busts

Aaron rodgers fell down the draft board cause nobody thought he was a franchise qb. The jets need a qb. You take marriota.

This.

Having a consensus franchise QB in a draft is actually a rarity. Since Peyton was drafted Palmer, Vick, Carr, Eli, Luck and RGIII were consensus franchise QBs going into the draft. Other QBs went first overall like Cam and Stafford, but there were questions going in whether they would be franchise QBs and go first overall.

Development is a key component. The biggest problem for the Jets is the serious question mark about whether they have the right people in place to develop a high draft pick QB.

Wish I could get the excerpt from Trent Dilfer on Michael Kay's show from last night as he responds to Kiper's quote. 

Was really well said. To paraphrase the jist, he thinks Winston is more NFL ready but Mariota is the supreme talent....however, he HAS to sit a year. 

So, yeah, exactly what I've been saying....Draft Mariota and let a vet start for the one year...then prosper. 

I watch a lot. I think there are potentially FOUR

Still waiting on what four.

I can think of one long shots that is worth the risk. Brissett, he should go in 3 or 4 depending. Maybe Cook but why take a chance on a long shot with a top three pick that's gonna go in the late first round.

Unless we can trade down and get a later first there's no chance of taking him.

Still waiting on what four.

I can think of one long shots that is worth the risk. Brissett, he should go in 3 or 4 depending. Maybe Cook but why take a chance on a long shot with a top three pick that's gonna go in the late first round. Unless we can trade down and get a later first there's no chance of taking him.

Hundley might end up being the best value pick in the draft.

Archived