Kiper doesn't think there's a franchise QB in the 2015 NFL Draft

Gen X Jet

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree. 

I don't believe Winston will have the dedication or work ethic to succeed. I think Mariota will, but he's have such a learning curve becoming a pocket passer that wherever he's drafted he'll end up not "saving the franchise" quickly enough. I could see him only becoming a good starter with his second team.

I hope we take Cooper, and find a QB that can do exactly what I said Mariota will do, become a good starter with his second team, after the first team gives up on him. Sam Bradford or Jake Locker maybe. I dunno. 

I tend to agree. 

I don't believe Winston will have the dedication or work ethic to succeed. I think Mariota will, but he's have such a learning curve becoming a pocket passer that wherever he's drafted he'll end up not "saving the franchise" quickly enough. I could see him only becoming a good starter with his second team.

I hope we take Cooper, and find a QB that can do exactly what I said Mariota will do, become a good starter with his second team, after the first team gives up on him. Sam Bradford or Jake Locker maybe. I dunno. 

I was just going to make a similar point.  Mariota seems like a very good prospect, but when he goes #1 it might end up being a bit much.  I'm not sure he is a top of the draft prospect, but without the negatives showing up that is where he will probably end up. 

I tend to agree. I have been talking Amari Cooper for the last 2 months now and I think he's probably the most sure thing prospect in this draft. It might almost be the best case scenario for the Jets to win another game and land at #5/#6 where they won't face the pressure of taking Mariota/Winston and end up taking Cooper.

How about very good? Will he be very good?  If so, I'll take it.  After almost 30 years of QB play that's rated somewhere between "meh" and "dogsh*t" 98% of the time, I'd settle for a QB who will be very good for 10-12 years.

I tend to agree. 

Absolutely in agreement. You take Sam Bradford and stick him behind a retooled offensive line (Jets have big-time cap money) and give him Cooper/Decker/Harvin/Kerley/Amaro to throw too and you have to be feeling pretty good about this offense going into next season.

This isn't big news, it doesn't take a genius to determine that Mariota & Winston are 

not sure things like Luck and Manning.  Both have issues that have to be addressed

by an intelligent coach who has a clear plan in developing a QB:

- Mariota is not and in my opinion never will be a "pocket passer".  The key with him is

whether a coach/organization is ready to implement the Chip Kelly/ORE offense.  It's

now been proven to work on the NFL level, so to make the transition easier for Mariota

a team needs to commit to it

- Winston is more of a traditional pocket QB who has run an NFL type of offense.  But 

does he have the mentality/maturity to be a leader of a team and to stay out of trouble

If we determine that either of them is worth investing a top 5 pick in I don't have a problem.

But our new coach has got to have a clear plan for developing a QB and not give into the

pressure of playing him too early

Absolutely in agreement. You take Sam Bradford and stick him behind a retooled offensive line (Jets have big-time cap money) and give him Cooper/Decker/Harvin/Kerley/Amaro to throw too and you have to be feeling pretty good about this offense going into next season.

I've been thinking about it, and if I'm the Jets I sign a pair of guys like Bradford and Locker, put them in the QB room with Geno (if we keep him on board at all), and use the draft picks on WR, CB, OL and LBer.

I don't know enough about the draft to know what positions it'll be rich with, like last year was a rich WR draft, but if we get a shot at Cooper I think you have to take him. Seeing how top-end WRs have been able to make immediate impact, you combine that with a veteran QB that another team is giving up on but who hasn't hit the prime QB age yet, and you could have something.

I've been thinking about it, and if I'm the Jets I sign a pair of guys like Bradford and Locker, put them in the QB room with Geno (if we keep him on board at all), and use the draft picks on WR, CB, OL and LBer.

I don't know enough about the draft to know what positions it'll be rich with, like last year was a rich WR draft, but if we get a shot at Cooper I think you have to take him. Seeing how top-end WRs have been able to make immediate impact, you combine that with a veteran QB that another team is giving up on but who hasn't hit the prime QB age yet, and you could have something.

I can't imagine this ever happening.   Why would Bradford sign with the Jets if they already had Geno + Locker on the roster or vice versa?   

Bradford may be the best of the worst our there but he is made of glass.   What happens when he goes on IR - is it back to Geno or do we repeat again with another rookie?   

I am quite content with Bradford, a second QB, Geno, and perhaps either Cooper or one of the dominant defensive players with our selection. Also would not mind a trade down to accumulate more selections.

I'll co-sign on something like this.  Bradford, another vet QB and a developmental QB taken in the 2nd or 3rd round, and a slam dunk like Cooper in the 1st is playing it smart given the circumstances.

The positive side is while there's no sure thing franchise QB in this draft there are some promising options in the second rd.  So we can maybe get an impact player in Rd.1 like Amari Cooper and develop a decent QB in the second round like Connor Cook and bring in someone to hold the fort for a few years like the guys here already mentioned.  Worst thing we can do is "reach" for a QB in rd. 1 if the organization doesn't really believe in him.  You can't draft scared meaning you take a guy because your scared of the possibility you missed out on a franchise qb.  Draft a guy you believe in and let the chips fall where they may.  

Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL.

Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL.

Kiper is way overrated!! He is spoonfed everything. What he has going for him is a great memory. His evaluations are worthless

Hmm, so Kiper thinks there isn't a franchise QB in this draft (note Franchise doesn't mean ELITE as guys like Elli and Flacco are Franchise QBs but not "ELITE") yet on his Draft Big Board, he still has Marcus Mariotta at Number 1 overall as his BEST prospect in the draft. That makes zero sense. 

If you rank a QB as the best prospect in a draft then by definition you think he is a franchise QB otherwise why would someone take a QB number 1 to be a backup or sub-franchise QB?

Looks like Kiper is trying to hedge his bets. If Mariotta turns out to be a bust he can say "I told you he wasn't a franchise QB" but if Mariotta turns out to be a HOF QB he can say "I had him ranked #1 all year."

He's right. We finally go rock bottom and put ourselves in position to get a high pick and all the QB prospects are as meh as it gets.

Go Jets!

:hand:

You guys do realize that these scouting reports are a guarantee of nothing, right?

If Mel Kiper were so good at judging talent, some NFL team would have hired him by now. He compared Jamarcus Russell to John Elway. He once staked his entire reputation on Jimmy Clausen being a star. And finally, Mel Kiper Jr. on Ryan Leaf: “His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over [other players in his draft class].”

This* 

:hand:

You guys do realize that these scouting reports are a guarantee of nothing, right?

If Mel Kiper were so good at judging talent, some NFL team would have hired him by now. He compared Jamarcus Russell to John Elway. He once staked his entire reputation on Jimmy Clausen being a star. And finally, Mel Kiper Jr. on Ryan Leaf: “His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over [other players in his draft class].”

We are close to Mariotta, a legit number 1st round draft pick not like, Sanchez or Geno. Take the shot. I dont give a sh*t what Mel has to say. 

I can't imagine this ever happening.   Why would Bradford sign with the Jets if they already had Geno + Locker on the roster or vice versa?   

Bradford may be the best of the worst our there but he is made of glass.   What happens when he goes on IR - is it back to Geno or do we repeat again with another rookie?  

The second bold is why I suggested what you're saying can't happen in the first bold statement.

Not sure what to tell you, I said "like" Bradford and Locker, in other words two guys that fit a similar bill, and let them duke it out. There is no filet mignon when you're fighting over table scraps.

I am quite content with Bradford, a second QB, Geno, and perhaps either Cooper or one of the dominant defensive players with our selection. Also would not mind a trade down to accumulate more selections.

Bradford would be more of a hold-the-fort guy for whatever qb we draft.  He is not the long-term solution.

The second bold is why I suggested what you're saying can't happen in the first bold statement.

Not sure what to tell you, I said "like" Bradford and Locker, in other words two guys that fit a similar bill, and let them duke it out. There is no filet mignon when you're fighting over table scraps.

Locker stinks.  Pass.

Bradford is the only name I've heard thrown around that is actually an upgrade over Geno.  But he is nothing more than a 1 year stop gap while Winston or Mariota sit and learn. 

Kiper has been doing this for 30 years, if you want to cherry pick comments and then take those comments out of context you can make anyone in the nfl a fool. I don't think he is the best at what he does but to discard everything he says because of being totally wrong at times does not make any sense. This guy has many contacts in NFL FO (specially the ravens) and with Accorsi. 

And what is a Franchise QB anyway? I hate that term. Does it mean he is not a Brady/Manning/Brees/Rogers/Luck, yeah well good luck getting one of those.  But there is no reason not to think that he can't become a Flacco/Ryan/Smith/Stafford level, certainly good enough to build a team around, maybe not a guy that can carry the team but certainly a guy that will not be the main reason you don't win

Kiper has been doing this for 30 years, if you want to cherry pick comments and then take those comments out of context you can make anyone in the nfl a fool. I don't think he is the best at what he does but to discard everything he says because of being totally wrong at times does not make any sense. This guy has many contacts in NFL FO (specially the ravens) and with Accorsi. 

And what is a Franchise QB anyway? I hate that term. Does it mean he is not a Brady/Manning/Brees/Rogers/Luck, yeah well good luck getting one of those.  But there is no reason not to think that he can't become a Flacco/Ryan/Smith/Stafford level, certainly good enough to build a team around, maybe not a guy that can carry the team but certainly a guy that will not be the main reason you don't win

Agreed.   However, I wonder how Flacco or Ryan would have fared under REX.   My guess is that they would not have developed. Flacco is, in my limited view, only slightly above average, yet he has been coached up and is better than average week in week out. He has a team and management that builds a system around him.  REX would not even attend the O meetings.  Management is more important than players.

Archived