Jet vs Patriots game thread

Maxman

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not blame the refs. Yes, there were a few sh*tty calls, but there are always sh*tty calls in every single game every Sunday. The Jets had a few chances. They even had a clutch interception that AT LEAST should've been 3 points. But guess what, they're a losing team and like losing teams do, they found a way to blow it. I love my Jets, I truly do, but you cannot beat the best team in football when you settle for field goals on each decent drive.

I can totally agree with that. Just awful. 

There are some positives to take away from this. We have a young, and dare I even say GOOD defense that is going to continue to improve. We have two franchise players on the Dline and it appears we may even  have a keeper or two in the secondary. 

We have some keys in place for a decent offense. Given a good o-line and an Offensive-oriented coach, I feel that even Geno Smith can be a serviceable QB in the league. The key is that we need to hire an offensive guy as our head coach. For too long, we have been settling for everyone's scraps (Sparano, Morhenwig). It's time we stop settling for a mediocre O.

Yeah, I'm totally satisfied with this game.

We played a far better NE team very tough. NE doesn't exactly get to hold their heads up high barely beating a 3-win team with no QB and no secondary (not to mention losing their only above-average OLman early in the game). And in the end, the joy of this win would last about an hour maximum. After that, the reality of blowing our draft slot further will have sunk in (if it didn't immediately happen).

Shots at the most often criticized parts of the team (Ryan, Geno, present starting corners) is silly. None are returning in their roles next year and there is no way for some to not criticize any/all regardless of the outcome. If they lost, they suck and rag on them for losing. If they'd won it would be bad and those same people would rag on them for winning.

Really, a 1-point loss should been considered the best-case scenario from before kickoff. Got to see a good game, but didn't further screw up next year for a meaningless win.

Yes and no. NE didn't take them seriously until mid way through the third until Brady was screaming at his OL.    

'Got to see a good game, but didn't further screw up next year for a meaningless win' -  even for you this is a A+

Does seem like Pats always seem to get these weird calls or plays but I don't know if it was just Geno sucking dicks or horrible playcalling or both but it's all on the offensive. Holy crap. Literally crap. All of it. 

This is why I'm hoping the next HC is from the O side.

There is no more room for a defensive coach. We've had defensive coach after defensive coach after defensive coach after defensive coach. It is time for us as a franchise to finally dedicate some time to the offensive side of the ball. It truly pains me to say that, as I am a HUGE Rex Ryan fan, but this was the perfect microcosm of a game during the Rex Ryan era: The defense plays fantastic, but the offense just isn't good enough. 

There are some positives to take away from this. We have a young, and dare I even say GOOD defense that is going to continue to improve. We have two franchise players on the Dline and it appears we may even have a keeper or two in the secondary.

We have some keys in place for a decent offense. Given a good o-line and an Offensive-oriented coach, I feel that even Geno Smith can be a serviceable QB in the league. The key is that we need to hire an offensive guy as our head coach. For too long, we have been settling for everyone's scraps (Sparano, Morhenwig). It's time we stop settling for a mediocre O.

No Geno is not a serviceable QB. HE SUCKS!

Because it still sucks to lose a close game, to a division rival.

But yes, 100%, the Jets are better off right now than had they won.  Still frustrating.

Oh it does, but it's just strange because last week I was on and people were pissed that we won.

I hate the way the NFL rewards suck. But playing the Patriots pretty close and losing is probably the best case scenario at this point. I'd rather us show that we actually have some pieces to work with while also being in the best position to build them up. The losing is almost irrelevant when you consider the Coach is completely done and Geno will not be starting. Actually think Geno has shown he'll be a serviceable backup. 

Wanted this game bad - But it is clear the culture of the Jets needs to change. We simply find a way to lose. We outplayed the Patriots but still lost. 

Absolutely dominated the Patriots offensive line - Hit Brady a ton. We outpassed them. We out-ran them. We out-sacked them. 

We did this without Percy Harvin and Nick Mangold for most of the game. 

In fairness, what did you make of that "first down"?  It's irrelevant because they'd have gotten it on a sneak, but still, that was bizarre.

It was so clearly a Pats first down Rex was CRAZY to even challenge it. This has been perhaps the WORST year of Jets getting screwed over by the refs week in and week out. I still can't believe the Jets got a flag for too rough of a tackle was that against Green Bay or Detroit? One of those teams. That 1st down was so blatant, where WAS good old Mike Carey carrying the league's water on that call anyway?

Because it still sucks to lose a close game, to a division rival.

But yes, 100%, the Jets are better off right now than had they won.  Still frustrating.

That's been one of the suckiest parts of this season -- the inner conflict and Jekyll & Hyde angst of rooting them through every game.  In better shape if they lose, but who wants to root against their own?  The much needed, copious amounts of alcohol doesn't help the situation.

could someone explain the first down thing for me? I don't get it.

Sure.

In football, you get 4 downs, which are essentially chances, to gain 10 yards. Once you gain 10 yards, the downs reset and you go back to 1st down. The only time the downs don't reset is if you are within your opponents 10 yard line, in which case barring a penalty you have to put points on the board by the end of 4th down, otherwise you give the ball back to your opponent.

Sure.

In football, you get 4 downs, which are essentially chances, to gain 10 yards. Once you gain 10 yards, the downs reset and you go back to 1st down. The only time the downs don't reset is if you are within your opponents 10 yard line, in which case barring a penalty you have to put points on the board by the end of 4th down, otherwise you give the ball back to your opponent.

Damn women. Ruining sports.

Archived