The end is near, Rex cleaned out his office- link

Barkus

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. ****. No. Stop. You don't get to invoke Moneyball three seconds after you say we were supposed to throw best practices for roster construction out the window because 'it's a must' for this particular coach, whatever that even means. The contortions you guys perform to rationalize your bizarre emotional reactions after the fact are totally baffling.

Lonely-- You really Pro Iddy?

The first thing I would have done was fire Rex if that was within my power. Assuming it was not in his power (and it probably wasnt) I think you have to work in the construct of the system which for this coach was to be more proactive in signing veteran players. Im not saying that is ideal for every team but for this one I think is a must. In terms of actual moves I probably would have done something like the following:

QB- I would have retained Sanchez at a reduced salary rather than going after Vick once it became clear that Vick had his heart set on being anywhere but on the field for the Jets. The other reason I would have liked that move if I was Idzik was it would have given me more slack because if Sanchez flops I can still pin the blame on Tannenbaum.  

WR- I would have also ended up signing Decker and flirted with Golden Tate (his price ended up being too high). At the end I think it would have been worth brining in a James Jones type as a solid veteran presence to fill out the roster. 

OL- I could live with Giacomini as he was a more affordable option than Howard. I absolutely would have signed a guard, Schwartz, Asamoah, or someone similar. That may not have worked out too well (Schwartz was basically hurt all season long) but the Winters/Aboushi group is pretty rough.

CB- Never in a million years would I have signed Dimitri Patterson. I personally would have gone after Verner especially seeing the kind of money he was being offered. I would have made a fast move because if I fail I want to go back to Cromartie.  Cromartie already waited once for the Jets in 2011 and would have done the same here. I also would have brought in one of the lower value guys (Tarell Brown, Walter Thurmond, etc...) to give more depth. I wouldnt have considered Revis and probably not Davis either.

S- They absolutely needed to sign a TJ Ward, Donte Whitner type. Safeties are no so expensive that you cant consider a good one in free agency. 

Drafting- I never draft a safety in round 1. If you want to moneyball the NFL you dont do it by drafting a low cost position.  CB, WR, DE/LB. You have to do something at those spots. It was probably worth packaging some late round garbage to move up back into 2 or 3 and grabbing an inside linebacker or something.

Regardless of what someone would or wouldnt do the fact is that Idziks vision was to strip the Jets down and rebuild from the base up.  Tannenbaum did the exact same thing with a far worse team in 2006. Whether it was luck or whatever by the time 2008 rolled around Tannenbaum built a foundation that didnt really exist when he took the job. Idzik's team has almost no foundation.  Its worse than when he took over. Two of his three first round picks thus far stink.  His QB stinks. Most of his decisions in free agency stunk. And his ability to communicate with the media is as bad as anyone to ever take the position. 

He was dealt a bad hand with Rex but unless you think Rex is the sole reason Milliner, Smith, Pryor, and the other draft picks arent working out I cant see how Idzik brings any confidence at all unless outside of a degree from some good colleges. 

The bold is the thing, though. He didn't get to fire Rex or his band of cronies that currently run the building so it's hard to draw the line as to what is actually Idzik's fault versus what is actually Rex's fault, just as it's hard to determine how hiring a new coach for 2012 impacts Idzik's decisions moving forward. So, we're judging Idzik based on failing at what was an unmanageable task. Rex was never going to let anyone rebuild the team while he was here, as evidenced by his trotting out journeymen vets to try an eek out meaningless wins. Do you know what player led the defense in snaps played last year? Dawan Landry. You know who was second? The then-injured Antonio Cromartie. They played 98% and 97% of the defensive snaps last year. Who is that helping? This year, it's been the same thing with guys who won't be here next year: Landry, Babin, Colon, Pace, etc. Slats will be along to point out that it's not Rex's "job" to help Idzik out by playing the young players, and that it's his "job" to win games, even at the expense of building towards the future by letting young guys learn on the job, as literally every other rebuilding program does. But, Rex, because he's a short-sighted, me-first idiot, throws all of that into the garbage can to keep himself relevant, and that's why he's sitting here at 3-12 with that sh*t-eating Alfred E Neuman grin on his face asking himself where all the young talent went. 

As to your plan of action, you couldn't keep Sanchez here if you were going to keep Rex because Rex had proven that he was never going to move on from him and, as was well-proven--Sanchez was never going to pull it together here. He would have been booed out of the stadium every time he stepped onto the field. Now, if we had hired New Coach X in 2012, maybe New Coach X is allowed the input into the drafting of offensive talent that you simply wouldn't afford Rex, and as a result New Coach X advises against drafting Geno in the first place. As it was, they gave a young QB to a coach who was trying to win immediately, and presumably forced him to play that young QB in spite of his wishes, and what you get is what you got. Maybe if Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett start the second half of the 2013 season, safety isn't a priority in the 2014 draft, but we got to watch plenty of Dawan Landry instead. I hated the Pryor pick because I thought it ignored a bunch of other needs (I advocated for choosing Bridgewater or Carr there to insulate the team against Geno not developing), but teams have been having good luck drafting that position high (Vaccaro, Reid, Earl Thomas, Berry, Bucannon), so I understood it. But, again, it goes back to having competing philosophies up top. Safety is a position that helps you immediately. Was that factored into the selection? 

The three free agents I thought for sure that we'd target were Geoff Schwartz, Verner, and Thurman. The scuttle around Verner was that he could only play in a Cover-Two, and that's why he went relatively cheaply. Schwartz and Thurman gave the Giants nothing this year due to injury and we'd be killing Idzik for signing them to this day. I'm not attacking you or your plan here, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people killing Idzik retroactively when, in real time, many of the decisions he made weren't the embarrassments that Mehta and co. make them out to be. I understand wanting him fired, and for not having any faith in his abilities moving forward, but I think we need to categorize this is a massive organizational failure that should be placed at the feet of Woody Johnson. Any GM he hired was going to face the same fate because of the pre-conditions and that's why the job was (and probably still is) anathema in executive circles. 

You know a lot. But you also make a lot of stuff up.

It makes for interesting posts. But they should come with a warning label.

Hi! Thanks for commending my "interesting" posts. If I may offer some advice on producing "interesting" posts, allow me to help you with your posts. For instance, in this most recent post of yours, I'd "interest it up" by doing the following (edits in red italics):

You know a lot. But you also make a lot of stuff up.

[LINKS AND EVIDENCE TO SUBSTANTIATE MY CLAIM THAT "MAKE A LOT OF STUFF UP]

It makes for interesting posts. But they should come with a warning label.

Thanks! I hope you found this exercise helpful!

The bold is the thing, though. He didn't get to fire Rex or his band of cronies that currently run the building so it's hard to draw the line as to what is actually Idzik's fault versus what is actually Rex's fault, just as it's hard to determine how hiring a new coach for 2012 impacts Idzik's decisions moving forward. So, we're judging Idzik based on failing at what was an unmanageable task. Rex was never going to let anyone rebuild the team while he was here, as evidenced by his trotting out journeymen vets to try an eek out meaningless wins. Do you know what player led the defense in snaps played last year? Dawan Landry. You know who was second? The then-injured Antonio Cromartie. They played 98% and 97% of the defensive snaps last year. Who is that helping? This year, it's been the same thing with guys who won't be here next year: Landry, Babin, Colon, Pace, etc. Slats will be along to point out that it's not Rex's "job" to help Idzik out by playing the young players, and that it's his "job" to win games, even at the expense of building towards the future by letting young guys learn on the job, as literally every other rebuilding program does. But, Rex, because he's a short-sighted, me-first idiot, throws all of that into the garbage can to keep himself relevant, and that's why he's sitting here at 3-12 with that sh*t-eating Alfred E Neuman grin on his face asking himself where all the young talent went. 

As to your plan of action, you couldn't keep Sanchez here if you were going to keep Rex because Rex had proven that he was never going to move on from him and, as was well-proven--Sanchez was never going to pull it together here. He would have been booed out of the stadium every time he stepped onto the field. Now, if we had hired New Coach X in 2012, maybe New Coach X is allowed the input into the drafting of offensive talent that you simply wouldn't afford Rex, and as a result New Coach X advises against drafting Geno in the first place. As it was, they gave a young QB to a coach who was trying to win immediately, and presumably forced him to play that young QB in spite of his wishes, and what you get is what you got. Maybe if Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett start the second half of the 2013 season, safety isn't a priority in the 2014 draft, but we got to watch plenty of Dawan Landry instead. I hated the Pryor pick because I thought it ignored a bunch of other needs (I advocated for choosing Bridgewater or Carr there to insulate the team against Geno not developing), but teams have been having good luck drafting that position high (Vaccaro, Reid, Earl Thomas, Berry, Bucannon), so I understood it. But, again, it goes back to having competing philosophies up top. Safety is a position that helps you immediately. Was that factored into the selection? 

The three free agents I thought for sure that we'd target were Geoff Schwartz, Verner, and Thurman. The scuttle around Verner was that he could only play in a Cover-Two, and that's why he went relatively cheaply. Schwartz and Thurman gave the Giants nothing this year due to injury and we'd be killing Idzik for signing them to this day. I'm not attacking you or your plan here, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people killing Idzik retroactively when, in real time, many of the decisions he made weren't the embarrassments that Mehta and co. make them out to be. I understand wanting him fired, and for not having any faith in his abilities moving forward, but I think we need to categorize this is a massive organizational failure that should be placed at the feet of Woody Johnson. Any GM he hired was going to face the same fate because of the pre-conditions and that's why the job was (and probably still is) anathema in executive circles. 

Fantastic Tom , in every sense a great job, I would positive rep it 20 times if I could.

So Casserly is looking for candidates for GM and HC?  I thought the proper way to do this is to hire a GM and let him hire his own HC...

via NYPost:

Another source said Casserly has done no work for the Jets so far, but has begun researching coaches for his role with the NFL Career Advisory Board, which advises teams on coaching and GM hires.

Rex will HC again and quite possibly this coming season.

When he has the players, his defenses are post season quality. Rex never had a QB in 6 years and I do not why Rex was so enamored with a turnover machine like Sanchez. Sanchez single handily sabotaged the Jets.

And this is why he is and was a terrible hc, 'his defenses' can with if you give him  the right players  (ie spend all your picks on defense.)

Some team will hire him because of his personality certainly not because of his head coaching skills.

And this is why he is and was a terrible hc, 'his defenses' can with if you give him  the right players  (ie spend all your picks on defense.)

Some team will hire him because of his personality certainly not because of his head coaching skills.

All teams are that way. The scheme is useless without talent.

NE is paying Revis. Seattle got away with paying Sherman and Wilson peanuts but that has changed. The draft gives you a 4 year window and Idzk didn't do Rex any favors.

Rex will HC again and quite possibly this coming season.

When he has the players, his defenses are post season quality. Rex never had a QB in 6 years and I do not why Rex was so enamored with a turnover machine like Sanchez. Sanchez single handily sabotaged the Jets.

Because he is not a complete HC.  He never paid attention to the offense.

NE is paying Revis. Seattle got away with paying Sherman and Wilson peanuts but that has changed. The draft gives you a 4 year window and Idzk didn't do Rex any favors.

Pairing Rex -a guy with no talent evaluation skills- with a pair of accountants as GMs has led to the disaster that this season is. Rex won eight games with smoke & mirrors last year. The next regime is going to gut this team in short order.

I dont think youd call the decisions he made embarrasing they were just disjointed. Whether its ownership or not people are not giving other GMs slack for doing poorly. The Jets were one of ten teams that had 6 or less wins when Idzik took over the job. Four of those teams have made the playoffs so its not an impossible job.  And I dont think anyone is defending the jobs of the other guys who have done poorly in that timeframe.

My biggest issue with Idzik is that there is no cohesive strategy. I dont care whose fault that is. They dip into free agency and throw money away on garbage but they wont go fully in to "save money for flexibility". Thats the Titans strategy which I cant stand. Are they winning now, winning later?  I thought the focus on the 2014 draft with a bunch of late picks was way over the top. The odds of hitting there are so small and thats how he planned on improving. They clearly were focusing on immediate needs in the draft and thats on Idzik as must as on Ryan. 

I dont blame Rex for not playing some of the younger guys (Pryor and Coples are the two he should be playing more) because most of them dont belong in the NFL. The whole roster is essentially a collection of UDFAs and mimimum salary level veteran quality players.

I just dont know how this is a Rex or Idzik thing. Rex should have been canned after 2011 or 2012. Everyone was blind as to how much he stunk because of 2009 and 2010. Idziks done nothing positive since hes been here. The two havent mixed at all with both sides giving in on things that have made the Jets unbearable (Rex is forced to start Smith so in turn he gets some of those old players on the field you discussed). He wasnt even a guy the Jets wanted, he was simply the only guy willing to accept Woodys awful conditions. If Idzik got fired tomorrow he would never get another job in the NFL as a GM. 

NE using less resources consistently has a better D than the Jets, why?  Because they create turnovers and force fg's.  The pats have had d's over the years with the kind of talent rex would get killed using but they bend don't break and get turnovers.

Rex ryan is faily overrated as a D coach, give any D coach in the the lions share of team talent and they will look okay.  He is nothing special, he is a clone of his twin and will show it next team he goes to if he is a DC.

"My biggest issue with Idzik is that there is no cohesive strategy. I dont care whose fault that is. They dip into free agency and throw money away on garbage but they wont go fully in to "save money for flexibility". Thats the Titans strategy which I cant stand. Are they winning now, winning later?  I thought the focus on the 2014 draft with a bunch of late picks was way over the top. The odds of hitting there are so small and thats how he planned on improving. They clearly were focusing on immediate needs in the draft and thats on Idzik as must as on Ryan."

I think this is incorrect, Idzik to me has had a very cohesive plan.  The executuon of it stunk and for that he will probably get canned.

He cleaned up cap space, he did not go all Redkins by overpaying for medium fa, he kept and added to his pool of draft picks. he made sure the team had lots of cap space going forward.

His value fa' cratered and his career killing sin was this past years draft where they could have totally changed the dynamic of the team with loads of talent in most rounds and tons of picks.  We won't know about the top two guys for another year or so but his mid to late round picks were disgraceful. Whether that is on him or the scouts he is accontable.

"My biggest issue with Idzik is that there is no cohesive strategy. I dont care whose fault that is. They dip into free agency and throw money away on garbage but they wont go fully in to "save money for flexibility". Thats the Titans strategy which I cant stand. Are they winning now, winning later?  I thought the focus on the 2014 draft with a bunch of late picks was way over the top. The odds of hitting there are so small and thats how he planned on improving. They clearly were focusing on immediate needs in the draft and thats on Idzik as must as on Ryan."

I think this is incorrect, Idzik to me has had a very cohesive plan.  The executuon of it stunk and for that he will probably get canned.

He cleaned up cap space, he did not go all Redkins by overpaying for medium fa, he kept and added to his pool of draft picks. he made sure the team had lots of cap space going forward.

His value fa' cratered and his career killing sin was this past years draft where they could have totally changed the dynamic of the team with loads of talent in most rounds and tons of picks.  We won't know about the top two guys for another year or so but his mid to late round picks were disgraceful. Whether that is on him or the scouts he is accontable.

This day and age with season ticket holders paying outrageous prices....you cant be 20 mill under the cap...

NE using less resources consistently has a better D than the Jets, why?  Because they create turnovers and force fg's.  The pats have had d's over the years with the kind of talent rex would get killed using but they bend don't break and get turnovers.

Rex ryan is faily overrated as a D coach, give any D coach in the the lions share of team talent and they will look okay.  He is nothing special, he is a clone of his twin and will show it next team he goes to if he is a DC.

THIS!!!!   The last 6 years, both teams have had almost 100 percent turnover on D.  yet the PATS D still does the job. Better coaching, better talent, better development.  

That's a big part of the problem.

Honestly, I think it's probably a blessing.

If he hadn't won those eight games, Idzik hires his own man last year, and Woody probably gives the new head coach two years to attempt to get it together. This way, Idzik is out after just two miserable years instead of three. The road to recovery should be quicker this way.

Honestly, I think it's probably a blessing.

If he hadn't won those eight games, Idzik hires his own man last year, and Woody probably gives the new head coach two years to attempt to get it together. This way, Idzik is out after just two miserable years instead of three. The road to recovery should be quicker this way.

Yeah, things have really worked out.

Just heard Mortensen say on NFL countdown that it is a lock that Idzik is gone but Woody is still on the fence about Rex. WTF???

i am a Rex fan and do believe it is time to move on but a small piece of me would like to see him stay on just to see all the jet fans on suicide watch. The anti Rex faction might actually go insane

i am a Rex fan and do believe it is time to move on but a small piece of me would like to see him stay on just to see all the jet fans on suicide watch. The anti Rex faction might actually go insane

Lol, yes.

Here is 2014 draft class  for the Eagles, the team that Gamble is VP of Player Personnel for .  If this were the Jets would the Planes and Billboards exist for him. And before you tell me I know Howie  Roseman is the GM there. 

1 (26) - Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville

2 (42) - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

3 (86) - Josh Huff, WR, Oregon

4 (101) - Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida

5 (141) - Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

5 (162) - Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford

7 (224) - Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Then what is your point! He is not the director of college scouting, nor the pro personnel guy. He got there 3 months before the draft so all the game scouting was already done. So in those three months he had to familiarize himself with all the players on his team, The pro players that were FA on the other teams and he did not have final say on who they drafted, we have no idea if was not not tasked with just evaluating the current players and FA and never even.

All we can go on is recommendations of other scouts and GMs that worked with him. The consensus is that he did a fine job over the last 15 years.  

Man up, Woody.

Via NJ.com

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Make no mistake: Rex Ryan believes he's going to get fired as the Jets' head coach sometime after Sunday's season finale at the Dolphins.

But Ryan is also aware that owner Woody Johnson is considering firing general manager John Idzik and leaving it up to Idzik's successor to determine whether Ryan stays or goes, according to a person with knowledge of Ryan's thinking who was granted anonymity because that person was not authorized to speak publicly.

That Johnson was thinking of letting Ryan dangle like that has been out there since Friday, though at that time it was only a rumor that Ryan had heard, the person close to him said. But the rumor has since been acknowledged as an actual possibility by ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

And Ryan is furious that Johnson would even consider such a thing.

"Rex is livid right now," the person told NJ Advance Media this weekend. "He hasn't talked to Woody yet, but he wants to talk to him and say, 'Fire me [bleeping] today. Fire me whenever. I'm not going to hang around and miss out on [another job opportunity].'"

Ryan began clearing out his office at Jets HQ on Friday after getting word that Charley Casserly had begun shopping Ryan's and Idzik's jobs to potential candidates—a sure sign that Ryan and Idzik are goners. Casserly, a former NFL GM, is a consultant Johnson retained to assist with the looming personnel changes he seems ready to make. Casserly did not immediately return a phone message left for him this weekend seeking comment.

But the person with knowledge of Ryan's thinking speculated that Johnson may want to delay cutting Ryan loose until after he brings in another GM (with Casserly's help) precisely to keep Ryan from taking another job right away. That person, however, stressed that Ryan doesn't know for sure whether that's what Johnson intends to do.

"All this stuff could change because [Woody] might wake up and say, 'I want to keep Rex,'" the person said.

Honestly the move was to try and make nice with Revis again...as tough as its to say.

I don't think so. A team looking to rebuild for the long term didn't save up tens of millions in cap room to get a 1 year deal from a corner who wants to test the FA market every offseason. A team who is a sure-thing contender right now does that. 

Signing him to $13M for 1 season (or whatever additional amount tit would have taken to outbid NE), was not a good move for the Jets. After this season we'd still be a losing team (even if he didn't get injured with the Jets), we'd have lower draft picks in every round, and the team quite possibly wouldn't be cleaning house. Oh, and we'd have $13M less space to sign others in 2015 (or beyond) and Revis would still be a free agent in 2015.

Lol, yes.

and rightfully so.  More years of terrible disorganization?  More years of piss-poor game preparation?  More years of watching an undisciplined, sloppy, stupid error prone team, including but not limited to a record number of 12 men on the field penalties, misuse of timeouts and overall unawareness of what is happening during the game? More years of impulsive embarrassing public comments without any thought ?  

Why would we want any of that?  Oh yeah... "the players love him".  Well I would too if I had a boss who was cool with inadequate preparation, mediocre performance and who actually praised my mediocrity at every turn.

Stop with "Idzik never got a chance to pick his own HC". I'm pretty sure Idzik told Woody in his job interview "Rex is a great coach n he was going to be my #1 choice regardless of what you wanted, sir". I can assure u that conversation took place with a few different words.

Fact that Idzik accepted the job is enough that he was happy with Rex. Thing is, Idzik put a steaming hot pile of sh*t we call a roster for Rex, especially in 2014 after having 12 MF picks. 12 effing picks! Most of whom were released.

Man up, Woody.

Via NJ.com

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Make no mistake: Rex Ryan believes he's going to get fired as the Jets' head coach sometime after Sunday's season finale at the Dolphins.

But Ryan is also aware that owner Woody Johnson is considering firing general manager John Idzik and leaving it up to Idzik's successor to determine whether Ryan stays or goes, according to a person with knowledge of Ryan's thinking who was granted anonymity because that person was not authorized to speak publicly.

That Johnson was thinking of letting Ryan dangle like that has been out there since Friday, though at that time it was only a rumor that Ryan had heard, the person close to him said. But the rumor has since been acknowledged as an actual possibility by ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

And Ryan is furious that Johnson would even consider such a thing.

"Rex is livid right now," the person told NJ Advance Media this weekend. "He hasn't talked to Woody yet, but he wants to talk to him and say, 'Fire me [bleeping] today. Fire me whenever. I'm not going to hang around and miss out on [another job opportunity].'"

Ryan began clearing out his office at Jets HQ on Friday after getting word that Charley Casserly had begun shopping Ryan's and Idzik's jobs to potential candidates—a sure sign that Ryan and Idzik are goners. Casserly, a former NFL GM, is a consultant Johnson retained to assist with the looming personnel changes he seems ready to make. Casserly did not immediately return a phone message left for him this weekend seeking comment.

But the person with knowledge of Ryan's thinking speculated that Johnson may want to delay cutting Ryan loose until after he brings in another GM (with Casserly's help) precisely to keep Ryan from taking another job right away. That person, however, stressed that Ryan doesn't know for sure whether that's what Johnson intends to do.

"All this stuff could change because [Woody] might wake up and say, 'I want to keep Rex,'" the person said.

more examples of Rex "never leaking anything to the media"...by the way Rex is furious ??? Is that supposed to make me feel bad??.IM furious you bafoon

agreed.  It is we, the fans, who are furious.  Don't give one little sh!t about how Rex feels.  He can have a temper tantrum right on the 50 yard line for all I care.  Too late Rex.  You screwed this team up along with the two bozo GMs you worked with.  And now you're furious?  Too funny.  He can really be an imbecile at times.

Archived