The end is near, Rex cleaned out his office- link

Barkus

I love Jason's work, but would have liked to read exactly what he would have done differently. Keep Cro? Sign Verner? In retrospect, the moves look bad now, but I don't recall many people picking the Jets to finish with 3 wins. Everyone had them between 7-9 and 9-7. The idea that the 2014 Jets were destined to suck is BS.

Tough to say....but all we do know is basically every Idzik moved was bad. Jason's right about Decker too....he looked as if he was going through the motions this season. The CJ signing was a waste, as was Vick. 12 picks and we didnt take a back...the offseason was just such a mess. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Jason's work, but would have liked to read exactly what he would have done differently. Keep Cro? Sign Verner? In retrospect, the moves look bad now, but I don't recall many people picking the Jets to finish with 3 wins. Everyone had them between 7-9 and 9-7. The idea that the 2014 Jets were destined to suck is BS.

I think he made it pretty obvious, not doing anything and drafting like a boob was the problem. How can you say what you would have done different when nothing was done? The draft is the only thing you can really play the hindsight game with what you would have done different. Otherwise, not sitting on your hands and trying to improve your pathetic roster through FA is a good start.

Rex Ryan is the only reason they were predicted 7 wins or better because he's shown he can get you that despite his QB play. Nobody predicted progress by looking at roster improvements. They predicted basically a repeat of 2013 +or- what you thought of Geno improving.

Nope, Gamble knew the deal when he interviewed. Rex was part of the job, and he was willing to work with him. He even cancelled his own upcoming interview with the Jaguars to focus on the Jets job after his interview here. But word was that he interviewed poorly, not demonstrating a working knowledge of operating under the salary cap. He was one of the top names on the GM market two years ago, and was passed over for every job. He would up taking a lateral position with Eagles. Something was up with him, and it's a little surprising to me how his name keeps getting brought up.

The Jets finalists were Idzik and Omar Kahn -both from the business side- so they obviously put a premium on that. Way too much, IMHO. Probably because Woody understands the business side more than he does the personnel side. Hopefully Casserly and Wolf push him in the right direction this time.

My hope is that since they're former GMs rather than career consultants, they'll clue in Johnson on the emotional side of the decision. Telling a GM he has to keep the HC and the head of scouting is, in effect, telling the GM candidate that you know better than he does. Whether that's the intention or not, it's suggested. It also tells any candidate that his hands are going to be tied to some degree, and these were just the opening terms before any interviews were set up. A more seasoned candidate could very well view these things as the tip of the iceberg, and that they could (or would) ruin his career through no fault of his own.

Maybe, maybe not. But certainly Woody wasn't giving himself best chance possible to get the best GM candidate. These guys are human as well, and a top candidate could very well find it offensive that the owner is essentially saying he trusts his own GMing skills over that of the guy he's seeking to hire.

Who else was a candidate that year, who got hired by someone else that year or the year after? I don't remember offhand.

But it's good to see they're both cleaning out their offices before the first interview. You can't bring someone else in and make his first order of business doing others' dirty laundry by alienating himself with many members of the team before he even gets started. And this is either attributed to his newest consultants or it could also simply be that 2013 was live & learn experience for Woody. Next question is what happens with Bradway, but the new GM can deal with that himself; he's not as visible a figure as Ryan so few important people would cry foul over his dismissal when a new GM is hired. Rather, under normal circumstances - where a new GM is brought in and he knows his own people to bring in and build his own scouting dept - it should be expected.

But everyone in the industry loves Rex , I've heard that bandied about countless times here. They should have been lining up in droves to bow to the mastermind. Problem is everyone loves him from afar , they just don't want him to work for them.

Trent Dilfer and Steve Young are both on record that Ryan is bad news generally for offense and specifically for developing a young QB. In the happytalk world of NFL talking heads, that's rare.

That 19 minutes was an organizational disaster. Exposed and confirmed the worst, that Woody Johnson really has no idea what he's doing. No one with an ounce of common sense gives Idzik any more responsibility than back office financial stuff.

LOL ...

I'd just like to know where all the guys on this board, who swore Idziot was the personnel guy behind the success of the Seattle Seahawks, are now.

You all know who you are ... Bunch of Idziots. :oops:

Because a coach had success 5 years ago we're supposed to give him how many more - 3 ,4 10 years to let him turn it around. Its not like we're changing HC's every year or two like they've done with the OC, GM, etc... under Rex.. And you really think the Jets are caving in to malcontent fans , do you think planes and billboards and banners matter - absolutely not. Bottom line NFL ownership is a millionaires club , these 32 owners are in competetion , do you think any of them don't want to win badly.

You make a fair point,  to me I think it comes down to not really knowing who the options are right now.  There is no guarantee we'll land Harbaugh and I'm not sure I want to trade some sorely needed draft picks.  But I do believe the Jets are caving to malcontent fans and the media, yes.  These are the only consultants Woody has right now, the public.  I think he did right hiring football people to help, this at least makes me feel better about the change.

I will say however that the Jets of the AFCG days have pretty much been deconstructed.  First the offense under Tannenbaum (so that they could sign Santonio Holmes), then the defense under Idzik (so they could clear cap space).  Now the coaching under Woody.

So Casserly is looking for candidates for GM and HC?  I thought the proper way to do this is to hire a GM and let him hire his own HC...

He's probably just formulating a list of what he thinks are good candidates for both positions and doing some of the due dilligence with gathering information.

My guess is that he'll recommend a hire for GM to Woody, then the GM will hire the coach, using intell and recommedations of Casserly/Wolf as a resource.

So Casserly is looking for candidates for GM and HC? I thought the proper way to do this is to hire a GM and let him hire his own HC...

I wouldn't discount the source being affiliated w/Rex i.e. his agent Jimmy Sexton. So the media can play the sympathy angle for Rex all day tomorrow and Rex can give his "win one for Rex" pregame pep talks.

<<

The situation is a bit like what happened toward the end of the 2013 season, when Ryan got word that Idzik—then in his first season as the Jets' GM—had begun reaching out to potential head coaches. Ryan responded by giving a fiery speech to the team the night before its next-to-last game of the year. The Jets then closed out the season by beating the Browns and Dolphins to finish 8-8, and Ryan got to keep his job.>>>>

Tough to say....but all we do know is basically every Idzik moved was bad. Jason's right about Decker too....he looked as if he was going through the motions this season. The CJ signing was a waste, as was Vick. 12 picks and we didnt take a back...the offseason was just such a mess.

It was a mess, but so was every offseason here for the last four years. The difference is, this mess is of the scorched earth variety, so we didn't even get the chance to get excited about some expensive new free agent. I thought we didn't sign Verner because he couldn't play man in Rex's scheme, and Cro was one of the worst corners in the league last year, is over 30, and had to take a tiny little deal from Arizona. Imo, not fair to lay those choices at Idzik's feet. In retrospect, the correct move was to blow away Vontae Davis with an offer as opposed to just helping him get a better deal from Indy. The guy Rex wanted--DRC--has been awful for the Giants this year, and they're on the hook for him through 2018 iirc.

I think he made it pretty obvious, not doing anything and drafting like a boob was the problem. How can you say what you would have done different when nothing was done? The draft is the only thing you can really play the hindsight game with what you would have done different. Otherwise, not sitting on your hands and trying to improve your pathetic roster through FA is a good start.

Rex Ryan is the only reason they were predicted 7 wins or better because he's shown he can get you that despite his QB play. Nobody predicted progress by looking at roster improvements. They predicted basically a repeat of 2013 +or- what you thought of Geno improving.

Yeah, typically you expect your head coach to get your team to compete. That sorta comes with the job title.

From thread: Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search:

Haha ... not much different than Kotite quitting two days before the final game.

nice pat on your own back for guessing an employee that was told he is being fired, took a coupla things from his office the day before.

but that's not what I was referring to when I told you to get a grip.

Of course Idzik got a raw deal. Hiring a GM without giving him control over thge Head Coach, then firing that GM before ever allowing him to hire a Head Coach, is almost laughably inept as an organization.

Bad picking/moves aside, Idzik was deeply, analy, ****ed by the New York Jets.

But so what, this isn't T-Ball, this is the NFL. The Big Leagues.

If you cannot handle a difficult situation, rise to the challenge, and build success with what you DO control, free agency, draft picks, salary and contracts, etc......then you get what you deserve.

Idzik got a raw deal, but is also getting exactly what his level of ineptitute has warranted.

What are you smoking? Idzik accepted the job with the knowledge that Rex will be the HC. Nothing wrong with an owner wanting to change a GM n not HC.

Rex turned a 3-13 roster in to 8-8 last yr so there was no reason to fire him after 2013. Then came the infamous 2014 off season where Idzik had more than enough resources to pick up another 2-3 starters via FA, specifically another corner and a WR (two major needs at the time even with Patterson n Decker on board). Fact is that Jets won 3 n were competitive in at least another 7-8 games. None of that had anyything to do with Idzik. It was a sh*tty winless roster after the injuries to our corners.

It was a mess, but so was every offseason here for the last four years. The difference is, this mess is of the scorched earth variety, so we didn't even get the chance to get excited about some expensive new free agent. I thought we didn't sign Verner because he couldn't play man in Rex's scheme, and Cro was one of the worst corners in the league last year, is over 30, and had to take a tiny little deal from Arizona. Imo, not fair to lay those choices at Idzik's feet. In retrospect, the correct move was to blow away Vontae Davis with an offer as opposed to just helping him get a better deal from Indy. The guy Rex wanted--DRC--has been awful for the Giants this year, and they're on the hook for him through 2018 iirc.

Honestly the move was to try and make nice with Revis again...as tough as its to say.

What are you smoking? Idzik accepted the job with the knowledge that Rex will be the HC. Nothing wrong with an owner wanting to change a GM n not HC.

Rex turned a 3-13 roster in to 8-8 last yr so there was no reason to fire him after 2013. Then came the infamous 2014 off season where Idzik had more than enough resources to pick up another 2-3 starters via FA, specifically another corner and a WR (two major needs at the time even with Patterson n Decker on board). Fact is that Jets won 3 n were competitive in at least another 7-8 games. None of that had anyything to do with Idzik. It was a sh*tty winless roster after the injuries to our corners.

Again decent to good DC's overcome injuries and scheme around the units defeciences. Rex doesn't have star CB's and he just resorts to man coverage and blitz after blitz, how about the mastermind develop better talent and actually gameplan for opponents other than Brady and Manning. And the whole we missed on wr nonsense is comical. We have Decker , Harvin, Kerley and Amaro - and we don't know how to use them properly , what was adding a Bradin Cooks or Marquise Lee going to do to change that - absolutely nothing. They would ave been playing special teams for half the year.

Again decent to good DC's overcome injuries and scheme around the units defeciences. Rex doesn't have star CB's and he just resorts to man coverage and blitz after blitz, how about the mastermind develop better talent and actually gameplan for opponents other than Brady and Manning. And the whole we missed on wr nonsense is comical. We have Decker , Harvin, Kerley and Amaro - and we don't know how to use them properly , what was adding a Bradin Cooks or Marquise Lee going to do to change that - absolutely nothing. They would ave been playing special teams for half the year.

You don't get it n it's ok.

Rex needs corners for his scheme to work n that's no secret. He's had street FAs as corners this yr. if u can't cover, you need to get to the QB quick then. One way is blitzing but we're now talking Defense 101 n I don't feel like explaining that.

As for having Harvin n Decker, when did Harvin join the Jets? How much timing did he have with our QBs? Wasn't decker out a couple of games n was limited in another 2-3 games? All those games were before Harvin came in. Kerley became the #1 n Salas was #2 with Idziks hand picked QB. What could go wrong when u have the worst receiving group along with the worst corners in the league? I don't know but winning a game sounds like a thing of the past. Having said all that, Rex managed to keep this team competitive in 12 of the games.

Worst corners in the league, yet the secondary is 16th against the pass. I believe that's due to "scheming" n not the all pro corners we have.

Rex needs corners for his scheme to work n that's no secret. He's had street FAs as corners this yr. if u can't cover, you need to get to the QB quick then. One way is blitzing but we're now talking Defense 101 n I don't feel like explaining that.

As for having Harvin n Decker, when did Harvin join the Jets? How much timing did he have with our QBs? Wasn't decker out a couple of games n was limited in another 2-3 games? All those games were before Harvin came in. Kerley became the #1 n Salas was #2 with Idziks hand picked QB. What could go wrong when u have the worst receiving group along with the worst corners in the league? I don't know but winning a game sounds like a thing of the past. Having said all that, Rex managed to keep this team competitive in 12 of the games.

Worst corners in the league, yet the secondary is 16th against the pass. I believe that's due to "scheming" n not the all pro corners we have.

And his blitzes get to the QB oh so effectively - right. No, opposing Oc's watch game film and have Rex's blitzes completely neutralized by throwing quick slants and crossers to whoever is 5 yards in front of Kyle Wilson or 10  yards beyond David Harris. Perhaps Rex needs to progress to defense 201 - but he's too proud for that. 

Yes Harvin and Decker missed some games but my point is even when all 4 were on the field they were never utilized to their full extent. Adding in another rookie with this CS wasn't going to change a thing at least not this year.

And finally were down to boasting about a 16th best anything on defense and yet that's supposed to represent a good thing that Rex did. 

He's a dees & dohs guy like Kotite,lol.

I cringe every time they replay him in wig imitating his brother or his infamous "we'll play em in the parking lot" quotes after 45-3 azz whoopings.

The 2 azz kickings we took by the the Bills where I got transported in time & Orton was playing the part of Jim Kelly vs Rex vaunted defensive schemes.

Annnnd that's another Buffalo Bills first down!

Win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-win-win-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-win-loss-loss-loss-win-loss-?

Our last 2 years in a nutshell! Yet people still want to bring Rex back. Jet fans are dilussional!!!!

Are you asking that it want Rex`s call on Milliner? I'd you remember correctly,Rex said Cromartie had the greatest pro.day that he'd ever seen. Then despite his short comings,Rex had to have him.

I'm convinced that Rex played a huge part of getting Milliner. So coming into 2014,Idzik needed a #2 corner only. So the part that Idzik is at fault is one CB.spot. Patterson and McDougle are probably Idziks problem. Milliner, Wilson, and Walls are on Rex. There was no reason at all to run Antonio Allen out there at corner if Rex had done his job in properly scouting Milliner or.developing Wilson and Walls.

Plus any HC worth a damn, alters his gameplan to fit his personnel. Specifically with injuries. Are the Jets the only team with injuries?

Are you asking that it want Rex`s call on Milliner? I'd you remember correctly,Rex said Cromartie had the greatest pro.day that he'd ever seen. Then despite his short comings,Rex had to have him.

I'm convinced that Rex played a huge part of getting Milliner. So coming into 2014,Idzik needed a #2 corner only. So the part that Idzik is at fault is one CB.spot. Patterson and McDougle are probably Idziks problem. Milliner, Wilson, and Walls are on Rex. There was no reason at all to run Antonio Allen out there at corner if Rex had done his job in properly scouting Milliner or.developing Wilson and Walls.

Plus any HC worth a damn, alters his gameplan to fit his personnel. Specifically with injuries. Are the Jets the only team with injuries?

Walls is a journeyman cornerback filling a gaping need. A need that the guy with the checkbook and personnel authority needed to fill. Wtf are you even talking about? That's on Rex? The problem with injuries are that they expose sh*t awful personnell executives for their gross inability to fill up the roster with a spec of depth. The fact that the coach had input AT ALL is a massive indictment on Idzik's inability to 1: not change the status quo in Florham Park, 2: not have his own scouting department come to any convincing player research and 3: have a spine.

While we're at it, and the Offensive Line is starting to crumble like the Berlin wall, what is your opinion on the 4th and 5th round garbage that Idzik has drafted for two years in a row?

Walls is a journeyman cornerback filling a gaping need. A need that the guy with the checkbook and personnel authority needed to fill. Wtf are you even talking about? That's on Rex? The problem with injuries are that they expose sh*t awful personnell executives for their gross inability to fill up the roster with a spec of depth.

Walls is only out there because Idzik signed Patterson who was with 7 teams in 8 years and then went AWOL and then drafted the injury prone McDougal. 

This is no way on Rex Ryan you are correct

Rex said Cromartie had the greatest pro.day that he'd ever seen. Then despite his short comings,Rex had to have him.

apparently not. cromartie was drafted by the chargers,not the ravens. every move idzik makes that works out, that's on idzik. every move that idzik makes that doesn't work out, that's on rex. funneling.

its almost as bad as the "rex throwing shcotty, sparano, and tanny under the bus" argument

what makes you think that milliner was all on rex? could of been, but what makes you think that?

The situation is a bit like what happened toward the end of the 2013 season, when Ryan got word that Idzik—then in his first season as the Jets' GM—had begun reaching out to potential head coaches. Ryan responded by giving a fiery speech to the team the night before its next-to-last game of the year. The Jets then closed out the season by beating the Browns and Dolphins to finish 8-8, and Ryan got to keep his job.

Which was a unilateral decision made by Woody Johnson - probably without even consulting Idzik - which is what led the Jets to where they are today. Rex should have been fired with Tannenbaum in 2012, period. Everything that has happened since has been a disaster. Even last year when they finished 8-8, they really didn't beat anyone good. New Orleans was a good win followed by a beat down by Buffalo. The Jets were beaten by 30 or more points four times that year, yet because of a three game win streak against fellow bottom feeders WJ decided Rex was indeed what he says he is - a great coach. Not so much.

He's a dees & dohs guy like Kotite,lol.

I cringe every time they replay him in wig imitating his brother or his infamous "we'll play em in the parking lot" quotes after 45-3 azz whoopings.

The 2 azz kickings we took by the the Bills where I got transported in time & Orton was playing the part of Jim Kelly vs Rex vaunted defensive schemes.

Annnnd that's another Buffalo Bills first down!

Win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-win-win-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-win-loss-loss-loss-win-loss-?

Our last 2 years in a nutshell! Yet people still want to bring Rex back. Jet fans are dilussional!!!!

Absolutely... REX's record stands on its own.  LOSING HC......  its really that simple.

All the apologists talk about lack of CB and QB. Well one is tatoo'd on his arm and we were no where in 2011 and 2012 when we had CB's.  

Idzik was only a candidate for the job because he was willing to accept Rex Ryan as his coach as a condition of employment. Better candidates refused to even interview for the job, while Caldwell only interviewed with the Jets to bump up the offer from the Jaguars.

There's no reason to feel bad for this guy. He never should've been hired in the first place.

This doesn't take the blame off Woody Woodpecker for hiring Idziot in the first place.

Archived