The end is near, Rex cleaned out his office- link

Barkus

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long to Rex. Idzik is getting a raw deal IMO... if he's in fact a goner.

It's true GMs usually get more than two years to try and get something done. The problem is most GMs don't fail as completely as Idzick. He's done nothing in two years.

Don't say he fixed the cap, because the cap was fixed by Tanny. He constructed contracts so there was a reset year which idzick just followed the plan.

It's definitely time for Rex to go. I think he's a good coach, and people ragg on him for the wrong things. His biggest problem is getting the team to perform consistently. Even during the first two years. Wed look unstoppable one game and hopeless the next.

Time for a reboot. HC, GM, and QB.

I think Rex would be a great candidate for a team that needs a spark out of irrelevency. He can go somewhere and bring his "Nobody respects us" schtick there and probably get some results compared to what their fan bases are used to. Think of any utterly crappy, small market team that nobody cares about, and tell me Rex Ryan wouldn't be a jolt to their system.

LOL ...

I'd just like to know where all the guys on this board, who swore Idziot was the personnel guy behind the success of the Seattle Seahawks, are now.

You all know who you are ... Bunch of Idziots. :oops:

Will the real Idziot please stand up.

I think Rex would be a great candidate for a team that needs a spark out of irrelevency. He can go somewhere and bring his "Nobody respects us" schtick there and probably get some results compared to what their fan bases are used to. Think of any utterly crappy, small market team that nobody cares about, and tell me Rex Ryan wouldn't be a jolt to their system.

If anything the team's concession stand would rock.

Because we're concerned with who they might come up with.  Rex like him, or not has been one of the most successful coaches the Jets have had.   I hate the fact that this team is constantly going back to square one again and again at Head Coach, Quarterback, you name it.  Successful teams take a long term view and have succession planning for those roles, instead the Jets react to their many malcontent fans and the media which will never be satisfied.

I heard an announcer say that after Mariucci was fired by the 49ers it took 8 years for them to land a successful coach (Harbaugh), I'm concerned that we're going down the same path.

That is a possibility. But we do not have a successful HC now, so you have to try and find better. 

I think  Woody really wanted Tom Gamble from Eagles--  but Gamble wanted to pick his own coach.   As you say , Idzik agreeing to keep Rex got him the job.  Bad move by

Woody.  The fact that Rex never strung win streaks together should have told Woody he was not HC material.   Last 4 years it was always win 1  lose 2.... win 1 lose 3....    The choice of

Geno and Vick as our QBs, really doomed us to a bad year.

Why do people make things up when they have no idea what they're talking about?  Gamble would have taken the job with Rex as coach.  It was Woody who didn't like Gamble's personality.

Why do people make things up when they have no idea what they're talking about?  Gamble would have taken the job with Rex as coach.  It was Woody who didn't like Gamble's personality.

Here is 2014 draft class  for the Eagles, the team that Gamble is VP of Player Personnel for .  If this were the Jets would the Planes and Billboards exist for him. And before you tell me I know Howie  Roseman is the GM there. 

1 (26) - Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville

2 (42) - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

3 (86) - Josh Huff, WR, Oregon

4 (101) - Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida

5 (141) - Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

5 (162) - Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford

7 (224) - Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

More than 150 posts on this thread alone not to mention the dozen other nearly identical.threads

Pretty exhausting

Fortunately on Monday the Rex defenders and Rex bashers and the same two groups for Idzik can finally stop arguing about the past and discussing the major moves of this offseason that will hopefully put our Jets finally on the path to victories, postseason contention and even Championships

GO JETS!!

What are you smoking? Idzik accepted the job with the knowledge that Rex will be the HC. Nothing wrong with an owner wanting to change a GM n not HC.

Rex turned a 3-13 roster in to 8-8 last yr so there was no reason to fire him after 2013. Then came the infamous 2014 off season where Idzik had more than enough resources to pick up another 2-3 starters via FA, specifically another corner and a WR (two major needs at the time even with Patterson n Decker on board). Fact is that Jets won 3 n were competitive in at least another 7-8 games. None of that had anyything to do with Idzik. It was a sh*tty winless roster after the injuries to our corners.

Incorrect. There is a lot wrong with this setup when the HC and GM are not on the same page. This entire 2 seasons was set up for failure with the decision to requiring Ryan was retained. We had 2 guys plotting against each other like Spy vs. Spy. Now may be Idzik picks a different coach and the jets till would've sucked, but it was a stupid thing to do. And that requirement precluded a number of other GM candidates who might have done a better job.

And   a big part of that disfunction is on the owner. He needs to pick a solid football guy to run things. And then take a giant step back. 2 MORE YEARS WASTED, 45 AND COUNTING.

Fortunately on Monday the Rex defenders and Rex bashers and the same two groups for Idzik can finally stop arguing about the past and discussing the major moves of this offseason that will hopefully put our Jets finally on the path to victories, postseason contention and even Championships

GO JETS!!

Well said.

Until a few weeks ago, I was a pretty big supporter of Rex, but the pending house cleaning actually has me feeling somewhat optimistic about the future.  Granted, there's literally no reason for optimism as the Jets have shown over their history that they can screw up even the most favorable of circumstances (2008 anyone), but the fact that this is the first time in a very long time that a house-cleaning seems to be in the cards has me excited. 

Add to that the fact that two accomplished former GMs are set to take the reigns of the search for the people who will ultimately lead the Jets into the future fills me with more hope than the prospect of Woody and a hiring firm taking on that task on their own.

I love Jason's work, but would have liked to read exactly what he would have done differently. Keep Cro? Sign Verner? In retrospect, the moves look bad now, but I don't recall many people picking the Jets to finish with 3 wins. Everyone had them between 7-9 and 9-7. The idea that the 2014 Jets were destined to suck is BS.

The first thing I would have done was fire Rex if that was within my power. Assuming it was not in his power (and it probably wasnt) I think you have to work in the construct of the system which for this coach was to be more proactive in signing veteran players. Im not saying that is ideal for every team but for this one I think is a must. In terms of actual moves I probably would have done something like the following:

QB- I would have retained Sanchez at a reduced salary rather than going after Vick once it became clear that Vick had his heart set on being anywhere but on the field for the Jets. The other reason I would have liked that move if I was Idzik was it would have given me more slack because if Sanchez flops I can still pin the blame on Tannenbaum.  

WR- I would have also ended up signing Decker and flirted with Golden Tate (his price ended up being too high). At the end I think it would have been worth brining in a James Jones type as a solid veteran presence to fill out the roster. 

OL- I could live with Giacomini as he was a more affordable option than Howard. I absolutely would have signed a guard, Schwartz, Asamoah, or someone similar. That may not have worked out too well (Schwartz was basically hurt all season long) but the Winters/Aboushi group is pretty rough.

CB- Never in a million years would I have signed Dimitri Patterson. I personally would have gone after Verner especially seeing the kind of money he was being offered. I would have made a fast move because if I fail I want to go back to Cromartie.  Cromartie already waited once for the Jets in 2011 and would have done the same here. I also would have brought in one of the lower value guys (Tarell Brown, Walter Thurmond, etc...) to give more depth. I wouldnt have considered Revis and probably not Davis either.

S- They absolutely needed to sign a TJ Ward, Donte Whitner type. Safeties are no so expensive that you cant consider a good one in free agency. 

Drafting- I never draft a safety in round 1. If you want to moneyball the NFL you dont do it by drafting a low cost position.  CB, WR, DE/LB. You have to do something at those spots. It was probably worth packaging some late round garbage to move up back into 2 or 3 and grabbing an inside linebacker or something.

Regardless of what someone would or wouldnt do the fact is that Idziks vision was to strip the Jets down and rebuild from the base up.  Tannenbaum did the exact same thing with a far worse team in 2006. Whether it was luck or whatever by the time 2008 rolled around Tannenbaum built a foundation that didnt really exist when he took the job. Idzik's team has almost no foundation.  Its worse than when he took over. Two of his three first round picks thus far stink.  His QB stinks. Most of his decisions in free agency stunk. And his ability to communicate with the media is as bad as anyone to ever take the position. 

He was dealt a bad hand with Rex but unless you think Rex is the sole reason Milliner, Smith, Pryor, and the other draft picks arent working out I cant see how Idzik brings any confidence at all unless outside of a degree from some good colleges. 

The Fans should go to the Jets practice facility and help hurry up the process of moving Idzik and Rex Ryan out of their offices. There won't be any trophies to pack up since Rex Ryan didn't win any lol. 6 seasons was way too long for this coach to stay and Idzik should not have been hired in the first place the man couldn't even manage money or build a good team. what a waste of money those two were. Thank goodness Mr. Johnson is going to hire Casserly and Wolf as advisors on who to hire next for the jobs of HC and

general manager.

And his blitzes get to the QB oh so effectively - right. No, opposing Oc's watch game film and have Rex's blitzes completely neutralized by throwing quick slants and crossers to whoever is 5 yards in front of Kyle Wilson or 10 yards beyond David Harris. Perhaps Rex needs to progress to defense 201 - but he's too proud for that.

Yes Harvin and Decker missed some games but my point is even when all 4 were on the field they were never utilized to their full extent. Adding in another rookie with this CS wasn't going to change a thing at least not this year.

And finally were down to boasting about a 16th best anything on defense and yet that's supposed to represent a good thing that Rex did.

16th best pass D with corners starting for Rex picked up off the streets. Yes, I'd boast about that.

Harvin wasn't utilized fully cuz there's no chemistry or timing between him n the QB. Decker has a lingering hamstring injury. Those tend to hang around from r a while. N Amaro has been out too. Point invalid!

Brady was sacked 4 times. He hasn't been sacked that often this yr. I'd credit Rex for that. If Rex doesn't blitz, his corners get too long to defend. If he does defend, his street FA corners can get stranded on their own "islands". It's not a perfect world, yet Rex's D ranks in the top 10. Outside of the DL, are there any other defenders that are capable of starting on any D? Maybe Davis n David, who are both average. Others will be backups on most teams.

If u don't wanna give any credit to the team being competitive in 10+ games, at least give Rex the credit he deserves for his D being a top 10.

Are you asking that it want Rex`s call on Milliner? I'd you remember correctly,Rex said Cromartie had the greatest pro.day that he'd ever seen. Then despite his short comings,Rex had to have him.

I'm convinced that Rex played a huge part of getting Milliner. So coming into 2014,Idzik needed a #2 corner only. So the part that Idzik is at fault is one CB.spot. Patterson and McDougle are probably Idziks problem. Milliner, Wilson, and Walls are on Rex. There was no reason at all to run Antonio Allen out there at corner if Rex had done his job in properly scouting Milliner or.developing Wilson and Walls.

Plus any HC worth a damn, alters his gameplan to fit his personnel. Specifically with injuries. Are the Jets the only team with injuries?

Never said anything about Milliner but Patterson was going to be our savior? Milliner was largely untested in 2013 as well n is injury prone.

Jets lost 3 out of their top 4 corners to injuries or AWOL. How many teams have 5 starting caliber corners to overcome 3 players?

FYI, corners play a huge part in Rex's D. "Corners corners corners". No secret there.

It was a mess, but so was every offseason here for the last four years. The difference is, this mess is of the scorched earth variety, so we didn't even get the chance to get excited about some expensive new free agent. I thought we didn't sign Verner because he couldn't play man in Rex's scheme, and Cro was one of the worst corners in the league last year, is over 30, and had to take a tiny little deal from Arizona. Imo, not fair to lay those choices at Idzik's feet. In retrospect, the correct move was to blow away Vontae Davis with an offer as opposed to just helping him get a better deal from Indy. The guy Rex wanted--DRC--has been awful for the Giants this year, and they're on the hook for him through 2018 iirc.

Yeah, typically you expect your head coach to get your team to compete. That sorta comes with the job title.

You know a lot. But you also make a lot of stuff up.

It makes for interesting posts. But they should come with a warning label.

Sad but true Rex Ryan is the second most successful coach in Jets history.  Mostly because of his first two seasons.  Since then this team hasn't been the same.  He was a very likeable guy and approachable and a good human being which the fans loved about him.  I met him once or twice and he was really easy going and friendly and not rushing you away from him. 

Reality is we need a change.  This team has fallen apart this year. 

I had originally said I'd give Idzik three years before I would judge him.  However, when I saw how many of his draft picks didn't even make the team this year I knew he had to go.  From 8-8 to 3-13 this team has become a mess.  This needs to be like after the 1996 season where Parcells came in and did a total clean house.  I'm just hoping we don't first have to go thru a 1-15 season after a 3-13 like we did before Parcells came to help.

What are you smoking? Idzik accepted the job with the knowledge that Rex will be the HC. Nothing wrong with an owner wanting to change a GM n not HC.

Rex turned a 3-13 roster in to 8-8 last yr so there was no reason to fire him after 2013. Then came the infamous 2014 off season where Idzik had more than enough resources to pick up another 2-3 starters via FA, specifically another corner and a WR (two major needs at the time even with Patterson n Decker on board). Fact is that Jets won 3 n were competitive in at least another 7-8 games. None of that had anyything to do with Idzik. It was a sh*tty winless roster after the injuries to our corners.

So in other words, when we do well it's because of Rex, when we suck it is someone else's fault. Typical Rex supporter BS

please tell me what pieces Rex had to work with this year? What positives from idzik regime helped Rex in anyway with the exception of Richardson

I

Well, let's see:

We had upgrades at WR, TE and RB on offense over the previous year, and Salas showed some ability as a 3rd receiver until he got hurt.

We had essentially the same OL, except it turns out Aboushi is a big upgrade over Winters

We have arguably one of the Top three DL groupings in all the NFL, and pretty serious depth at that spot as well

Rex got the safety he wanted in the first round. Idzik made the pick but no one can tell me that Rex who prefers in the box "hitter" type safeties did not have a serious influence on that pick

We drafted a decent return guy but Rex cut him to make a point or something

Milliner was coming off a last four games stretch where he played at a Revis level. He tore his ACL. Teams adapt.

We let Cro go which was a mistake. As bad as he was last year he WAS injured and he for cheap enough dollars we should have seen what he had. Patterson signing was a nightmare. McDougal blew his knee out too. But couple things about the CB spot:

1. We were never resigning Revis. We traded him for a reason.

2. If Rex's system actually requires 2 Top 10 corners in the NF, then that defense is NOT VIABLE. From a player and CAP standpoint you cannot consistently have those level CBs on the roster.

3. Rex did almost nothing to adjust, forcing all of the CBs in lockdown man to man modes and get toasted. Oh that's BAD COACHING, look at how Arizona has dealt with adversity- that's GOOD COACHING

Geno had a year of experience but as usual Rex did everything in his power to ruin him and succeeded. From having "his" defense "win" the preseason TC battle every day. it stunted the development of chemistry with the receivers, as well as not giving him experience in playing against the zone schemes he faces most week.

Rex turtled the offense at the first sign of adversity, putting Geno in unwinnable situations during the game and errors starting piling up

Rex yet again forced the WC and direct snaps on MM, damaging the offense even more.

Rex again showed he is incapable of managing the game, has an incredibly undisciplined team. NEVER makes effective half time adjustments and his players "play for him" only sometimes -every NE game and select others, but we had numerous games where we were flat and did not come to play

Rex and his staff have pretty much not developed a single elite player in 6 years except for DL, which is riddled with all of our first rounders for the most part anyway

Reality: We had a slightly better roster than last year going into TC, got hit hard injury wise in the secondary, but Rex did not nothing from a coaching standpoint to fight through the issues. On EVERY level Rex is a HORRIBLE Head Coach and we are not 3-12 because of talent we are 3-12 because Rex is a stubborn, overrated dinosaur of a coach that is completely over his head and has run this team into the ground. There are probably 20 HCs in the NFL that would have had a better year than Rex with this exact roster.

Stop blaming outside influences and scapegoats and look at his terrible , increasingly bad resume of work. Rex is AWFUL.

The first thing I would have done was fire Rex if that was within my power. Assuming it was not in his power (and it probably wasnt) I think you have to work in the construct of the system which for this coach was to be more proactive in signing veteran players. Im not saying that is ideal for every team but for this one I think is a must. In terms of actual moves I probably would have done something like the following:

QB- I would have retained Sanchez at a reduced salary rather than going after Vick once it became clear that Vick had his heart set on being anywhere but on the field for the Jets. The other reason I would have liked that move if I was Idzik was it would have given me more slack because if Sanchez flops I can still pin the blame on Tannenbaum.

WR- I would have also ended up signing Decker and flirted with Golden Tate (his price ended up being too high). At the end I think it would have been worth brining in a James Jones type as a solid veteran presence to fill out the roster.

OL- I could live with Giacomini as he was a more affordable option than Howard. I absolutely would have signed a guard, Schwartz, Asamoah, or someone similar. That may not have worked out too well (Schwartz was basically hurt all season long) but the Winters/Aboushi group is pretty rough.

CB- Never in a million years would I have signed Dimitri Patterson. I personally would have gone after Verner especially seeing the kind of money he was being offered. I would have made a fast move because if I fail I want to go back to Cromartie. Cromartie already waited once for the Jets in 2011 and would have done the same here. I also would have brought in one of the lower value guys (Tarell Brown, Walter Thurmond, etc...) to give more depth. I wouldnt have considered Revis and probably not Davis either.

S- They absolutely needed to sign a TJ Ward, Donte Whitner type. Safeties are no so expensive that you cant consider a good one in free agency.

Drafting- I never draft a safety in round 1. If you want to moneyball the NFL you dont do it by drafting a low cost position.

No. ****. No. Stop. You don't get to invoke Moneyball three seconds after you say we were supposed to throw best practices for roster construction out the window because 'it's a must' for this particular coach, whatever that even means. The contortions you guys perform to rationalize your bizarre emotional reactions after the fact are totally baffling.

It's all John Idzik's fault in the land of delusional WRECKS defenders.

That damn Idzik caused the WRECKS coached Jets to suck for the LAST FOUR seasons, damn him....the two he was here and the two before he arrived

Damn Idzik.

Archived