The end is near, Rex cleaned out his office- link

Barkus

Exactly; the phoniest of tough guys. Arguing with your former 6th corner is really a foolish thing to do.

not to mention the quote itself is classic rex , one decent-good game from Williams and let's talk him up like he's deion sanders.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't a GM love the chance to work with the coach that got a team to not one but TWO AFCCG's with Mark Sanchez? It's like buying a house that comes with Kate Upton as the live-in maid!

No GM would've loved the chance to work with Bill Parcells.

One of the most critical and fundamental functions of the GM job is hiring a head coach. As awesome as Rex is, any GM candidate worth a damn wants to hire his own man. Forcing any coach on a GM undercuts his authority from day one. If that's what Woody wanted to do, he should've had Rex hire a personnel guy to work for him. Keeping the head coach while trying to hire a GM to be that head coach's boss was a terrible idea from the onset, which is why no other team has ever done that, or ever will again.

I think  Woody really wanted Tom Gamble from Eagles--  but Gamble wanted to pick his own coach.   As you say , Idzik agreeing to keep Rex got him the job.  Bad move by

Woody.  The fact that Rex never strung win streaks together should have told Woody he was not HC material.   Last 4 years it was always win 1  lose 2.... win 1 lose 3....    The choice of

Geno and Vick as our QBs, really doomed us to a bad year.

Win 1 lose 2.... You're referring to last season right, there I would agree.  If not I think you're just trying to revise history because you don't like Rex. 

So long to Rex.  Idzik is getting a raw deal IMO... if he's in fact a goner.  

Raw deal?  He said good bye to Revis, Cromartie and Landry (not Dawan) three pro bowlers in two years,  signed no one in Free Agency, now we have a huge hole in those positions.  He made no changes in our LB corp.  It's almost like he set out to destroy Rex's defense.  He also failed to improve the offense.  Personally I hated the fact that they neutered Rex and treating him like a child, constantly keeping him under the gun while he was here.  It's poetic justice that he's gone too.  He'll settle into a capologist role somewhere never to be heard from again, while Rex will have multiple offers to be an announcer, head coach, or high profile defensive coordinator role (can you say Giants, or Bears) and be first in line to take over if the coach retires, or is fired.  Idzik has had his 15 min of fame, now hit the road.

Because the GM job generally comes with the ability to hire one's own coach. No matter who the coach was, forcing the next GM to keep him was going to shrink the talent pool for the job.

But everyone in the industry loves Rex , I've heard that bandied about countless times here. They should have been lining up in droves to bow to the mastermind. Problem is everyone loves him from afar , they just don't want him to work for them.

No GM would've loved the chance to work with Bill Parcells.

One of the most critical and fundamental functions of the GM job is hiring a head coach. As awesome as Rex is, any GM candidate worth a damn wants to hire his own man. Forcing any coach on a GM undercuts his authority from day one. If that's what Woody wanted to do, he should've had Rex hire a personnel guy to work for him. Keeping the head coach while trying to hire a GM to be that head coach's boss was a terrible idea from the onset, which is why no other team has ever done that, or ever will again.

I'm thinking the Chicago Bears did it with Lovie who then got fired after going 10-6. I might be wrong too.

Raw deal?  He said good bye to Revis, Cromartie and Landry (not Dawan) three pro bowlers in two years,  signed no one in Free Agency, now we have a huge hole in those positions.  He made no changes in our LB corp.  It's almost like he set out to destroy Rex's defense.  He also failed to improve the offense.  Personally I hated the fact that they neutered Rex and treating him like a child, constantly keeping him under the gun while he was here.  It's poetic justice that he's gone too.  He'll settle into a capologist role somewhere never to be heard from again, while Rex will have multiple offers to be an announcer, head coach, or high profile defensive coordinator role (can you say Giants, or Bears) and be first in line to take over if the coach retires, or is fired.  Idzik has had his 15 min of fame, now hit the road.

While on the flipside Rex had done that to every OC that worked for him.

I'm thinking the Chicago Bears did it with Lovie who then got fired after going 10-6. I might be wrong too.

You are correct.  Bears forced Lovie on the new GM and the GM canned him after the first year.  Cleveland also did this with Mangini.  Forcing a HC on a GM for one year is not as uncommon as people claim.  It still is a very stupid plan of action, but some teams do it only to allow the GM to acclimate for a year.  Basically, teams that allow this are throwing away a full year. I figured that's what Korn/Ferry had in mind when they proposed Idsuck with Rex hanging around.  But in the Jets' case, both the HC AND the new GM were so atrociously horrible that after two years of inane futility, they both have to go.  Only on the Jets could such a thing be expected.  What it all comes down to is this:  Woody Johnson is an incompetent buffoon who should not trust his own decision making process. 

Rex got 6 years...he got plenty of time. I dont see how anyone's upset with change here.

Because we're concerned with who they might come up with.  Rex like him, or not has been one of the most successful coaches the Jets have had.   I hate the fact that this team is constantly going back to square one again and again at Head Coach, Quarterback, you name it.  Successful teams take a long term view and have succession planning for those roles, instead the Jets react to their many malcontent fans and the media which will never be satisfied.

I heard an announcer say that after Mariucci was fired by the 49ers it took 8 years for them to land a successful coach (Harbaugh), I'm concerned that we're going down the same path.

Because we're concerned with who they might come up with.  Rex like him, or not has been one of the most successful coaches the Jets have had.   I hate the fact that this team is constantly going back to square one again and again at Head Coach, Quarterback, you name it.  Successful teams take a long term view and have succession planning for those roles, instead the Jets react to their many malcontent fans and the media which will never be satisfied.

I heard an announcer say that after Mariucci was fired by the 49ers it took 8 years for them to land a successful coach (Harbaugh), I'm concerned that we're going down the same path.

Because a coach had success 5 years ago we're supposed to give him how many more - 3 ,4 10 years to let him turn it around. Its not like we're changing HC's every year or two like they've done with the OC, GM, etc... under Rex.. And you really think the Jets are caving in to malcontent fans , do you think planes and billboards and banners matter - absolutely not. Bottom line NFL ownership is a millionaires club , these 32 owners are in competetion , do you think any of them don't want to win badly.

I dunno...  how 'bout "it's all Schotty's fault"?

I thought I was made of Teflon.

good ones !

I would think over the top bravado, something like "the jets just made the biggest mistake of all time, letting go a championship coach"

From thread: Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search:

I can see childish Rex taking pictures off the wall and packing up his office ahead of schedule. 

childish? get a grip

Haha ... not much different than Kotite quitting two days before the final game.

I love Jason's work, but would have liked to read exactly what he would have done differently. Keep Cro? Sign Verner? In retrospect, the moves look bad now, but I don't recall many people picking the Jets to finish with 3 wins. Everyone had them between 7-9 and 9-7. The idea that the 2014 Jets were destined to suck is BS.

Archived