Give me Cutler

drsamuel84

That's right I know he can be a headcase but QB's with his talent rarely become available.  Not to mention, the way his contract is structured I believe you're really only committed at big money for 1 or 2 more years. Now that Rex is gone go get me a strong willed veteran coach who can handle his personality, draft O-Line in the first rd. and go for a "developmental" type QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd.  This team has been bad for too ling and while I realize Cutler is no sure thing he's a much better option than waiting another 3 years to find out if our young QB is the real deal.  To me, it's a risk well worth taking.

That's right I know he can be a headcase but QB's with his talent rarely become available.  Not to mention, the way his contract is structured I believe you're really only committed at big money for 1 or 2 more years. Now that Rex is gone go get me a strong willed veteran coach who can handle his personality, draft O-Line in the first rd. and go for a "developmental" type QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd.  This team has been bad for too ling and while I realize Cutler is no sure thing he's a much better option than waiting another 3 years to find out if our young QB is the real deal.  To me, it's a risk well worth taking.

How many years have the bears made the playoffs? 

Cutler looked as bad as Sanchez and Geno this year. No.

No.  Just no.  We need to set our sights higher.  Even if we're out of the Mariota sweepstakes there's always a 2nd/3rd tier QB prospect who can emerge.  We need to devote as many resources as we can to finding that gem.  If there's none to be found we sign a mediocre veteran and try again in the 2016 draft. 

Cutler would require far too much compensation given what he actually provides a team.  And his personality in NYC would be disastrous.  He needs to go be the "savior" for a bad small market team.

No.  Just no.  We need to set our sights higher.  Even if we're out of the Mariota sweepstakes there's always a 2nd/3rd tier QB prospect who can emerge.  We need to devote as many resources as we can to finding that gem.  If there's none to be found we sign a mediocre veteran and try again in the 2016 draft.

That's my point, draft a 2nd or 3rd tier QB and allow him to sit for a year or two.  The biggest mistake this team has made in the past 6 years under Rex in my opinion is allowing two rookie QB's to come in and start right away.  Why would we want to do that with another 2nd or 3rd rd. pick?  At the very least allow for a real QB competition.

Absolutely not.  No way the Jets should give up anything, be it draft picks or players, for a QB who has looked as bad as Cutler has this year.

I don't think we would have to give up a ton to get him.  He's owed a lot of money next year no way we  would have to trade picks and pickup that contract.

Did you watch Cutler play at all this year? He was a nightmare, I'm not going overboard at all. 

I have. But I also lived through years of Sanchez and Geno. I'd pay to watch someone else through INTs for us, while actually also throwing for some yards too. Basically, I just hate Geno.

what other options are there?  Jason Campbell?  Jake Locker?  Sam Bradford?  come on, as bad as Cutler was this year, those guys couldn't hold his jock.  even if we can get Mariota or Winston in the draft, i still wouldn't want them starting week 1.  bringing in a pro QB like Cutler to start as a stop gap ahead of a 2015 draft pick (Mariota, Winston, Grayson) would be ideal.  1 or 2 years preferably.

Based on what? 

Nothing, probably.  Cutler was horrendous this year.  He looked lost at times while making reads at the LOS and had about as bad a season a QB could have that wasn't wearing green and white.  Add that to the fact that he lost his job to Jimmy Clausen less than a year after receiving a massive extension.  No thanks.

...with the QB Whisperer no less.

haha exactly. 

The difference is Cutler is talented, gives this team the best chance to win NEXT YEAR while still allowing us to develop a QB for the future.  He's a much better option that Locker, Hoyer or Geno.

As you can see, Cutler couldn't even do it with the QB whisperer which Sperm just pointed out. 

what other options are there?  Jason Campbell?  Jake Locker?  Sam Bradford?  come on, as bad as Cutler was this year, those guys couldn't hold his jock.  even if we can get Mariota or Winston in the draft, i still wouldn't want them starting week 1.  bringing in a pro QB like Cutler to start as a stop gap ahead of a 2015 draft pick (Mariota, Winston, Grayson) would be ideal.  1 or 2 years preferably.

Thank you! Exactly my point

In no way am I saying Cutler's a sure thing and our ticket to the Super Bowl, what I'm saying is after 4 horrendous losing years with Andrew Luck type prospect in the draft, the risk may be worth the reward in this case.  As stated earlier our other options are guys like Hoyer and Locker, I'm tired of game managers give me a QB capable of winning for us.  Yes, I realize Cutler has won much but we all know the talent is there.

I've always loved Cutler. From the '06 draft class when I said he'd not only be the best QB, but the only one not to bust; to his days in Denver where he had the look of an elite young gunslinger before being forced out because his overconfident moron coach wanted Matt Cassell. On to Chicago where Lovie's utter lack of offensive knowledge and sheer Rexiness made what could have been an explosive offense a middling one. And onto Trestman, the QB guru who made Josh McCown look like a legit starter.

As much as it pains me to say, Cutler just doesn't have it. He's Brett Favre with zero of Brett's intangibles. Is Jay an NFL starter? Absolutely. But he's a QB that will never win jack sh*t, no matter who surrounds him. An upgrade over Geno? Obviously and hugely. And if we got Cutler, I'd be pleased with it simply because it would mean the Jets would have a watchable offense for the first time since I was in high school. But, he's not worth the money. He will never win a championship, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

no, and this is from a previous culter fan. I was with a group of posters on JI who were big on cutler when he coming into the league. Felt he was a guy Jets should have targeted. Followed him closely with Denver too. He is too turnover prone and is not a leader. would rather go for bradford.

Campbell would be my choice, Bradford is not going to be available IMO. He will stay with the rams on a reduced contract, my guess is that they split his present deal into two years. Campbell could hold the fort and is more of the personality you want to mentor a youngster. The jets are not going to compete for the title next year, besides Davis who in the back 7 are you confident in next year? The team still needs a #1, Chris Ivory has one year left on his deal, And a RG is desperately needed and long term Dbrick and Mangold will likley be gone in two years and will need to be replaced. 

To give Cutler 33% of the cap space is foolish. Remember the jets are not going to have 45mill of cap room every year.

Campbell would be my choice, Bradford is not going to be available IMO. He will stay with the rams on a reduced contract, my guess is that they split his present deal into two years. Campbell could hold the fort and is more of the personality you want to mentor a youngster. The jets are not going to compete for the title next year, besides Davis who in the back 7 are you confident in next year? The team still needs a #1, Chris Ivory has one year left on his deal, And a RG is desperately needed and long term Dbrick and Mangold will likley be gone in two years and will need to be replaced. 

To give Cutler 33% of the cap space is foolish. Remember the jets are not going to have 45mill of cap room every year.

like i said above, if he's cut, he has to be given an offer from the Jets.  he's not going to be making what his contract has him at now, no team is going to give him that if he's a free agent.  that being said, no one knows if he's even going to be cut.  Trestman might be fired and the new coach might love cutler.  

my wishes are to get Iupati and Cox, Iupati shoring up the guard position and Cox the start of shoring up the secondary.  Ivory deserves an extension, RBs aren't too expensive.  if the new GM can get Harvin to restructure, i'm comfortable with a WR corp of Decker, Harvin and Kerley.  Amaro with another year will hopefully blossom. 

the problems you stated are all results of Idzik's inability to draft.  no real o-line depth, a very poor secondary and no QB.  

I've always loved Cutler. From the '06 draft class when I said he'd not only be the best QB, but the only one not to bust; to his days in Denver where he had the look of an elite young gunslinger before being forced out because his overconfident moron coach wanted Matt Cassell. On to Chicago where Lovie's utter lack of offensive knowledge and sheer Rexiness made what could have been an explosive offense a middling one. And onto Trestman, the QB guru who made Josh McCown look like a legit starter.

As much as it pains me to say, Cutler just doesn't have it. He's Brett Favre with zero of Brett's intangibles. Is Jay an NFL starter? Absolutely. But he's a QB that will never win jack sh*t, no matter who surrounds him. An upgrade over Geno? Obviously and hugely. And if we got Cutler, I'd be pleased with it simply because it would mean the Jets would have a watchable offense for the first time since I was in high school. But, he's not worth the money. He will never win a championship, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

Please, he was a brat and wanted to run the team and not his coach in Denver. Who the hell is he to tell the coaching staff or FO who the hell they can bring in? Denver was right about him and his time in Chicago proves it out.

Archived