Woody Johnson Press Conference today @ 11

neckdemon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Combine this Presser, with real solid veteran front office guys like Wolf and Casserly as Woody's advisors, and we're in as good as shape (Rebuild wise) as we can hope at this VERY early moment.

I agree.

Much better feeling than two years ago.

And I was pleasantly surprised with some of his answers.

He actually watched the games, seems to know what he is looking for and had some good points.

more than I expected of him.

Yes, which is why it's so odd. Not sure if Hardesty doesn't know that or if Wisenhunt is expectint to be fired.

All the optimism after the press conference goes right out the window if we hire the newly fired coach of a 2-14 team. It would banish the Kotite hire to #2 on the all time Jets blunders list.

Sleeper candidate with his NFL Rabbi (Wolf) in search committee is Holmgren.

Reports last week said Holmgren had started making calls to put a staff together in case he got a offer. Wolf/Holmgren have DEEP roots.

We could do alot worse.

I would not wanting being GM/HC...just coach

wolf GM 2 years, brings son in from GB as head of scout dept and turns keys over to his kid in 2-3 years if all goes well..

I think that would be epic.

probably a pipe dream.

But I would settle for Holmgren and his wolf jr with Ron as SVP...or some bs title

For all the snarky comments about Woody, you're clueless.  He's knocking the

press conference out of the park today.  He's being open, honest and showing

a decent knowledge of football

I agree , I think he said all the things he needed to. Recognized , the rift between Rex/Idzik and staff, mentioned next coach would need to be a better manager of all facets O/D/ST . Loved the answer about pressure from fans - said he worked for the fans but wouldn't be pressured by fans - definte shot at the media/billboards/planes etc....

Also happy that he stated they reached out to candidates already , don't want to be dragging feet at this point. 

Pretty amazed that Woody actually paid attention all season. The fact that he rattled off the mistakes in the GB game he sounded like a true fan. He gets it. It was also obvious to him that Idiotzik and Rex weren't on the same page all year. Great job Woody you gave me some faith for the 2015 season. I can't wait to see what comes next.

I thought the same thing.  I liked that Woody specifically mentioned personnel and scouting issues.    

The only caveat I had was that Woody would be too easy to impress with talk rather than real accomplishments (see Mangini, Eric).   I think if you tell Woody what he wants to hear you can make a great impression on him.    That doesn't necessarily translate to success as HC or GM of an NFL franchise.  I think Idzik told him what he wanted to hear to get the job.  

I thought the same thing. I liked that Woody specifically mentioned personnel and scouting issues.

The only caveat I had was that Woody would be too easy to impress with talk rather than real accomplishments (see Mangini, Eric). I think if you tell Woody what he wants to hear you can make a great impression on him. That doesn't necessarily translate to success as HC or GM of an NFL franchise. I think Idzik told him what he wanted to hear to get the job.

+1

Idzik said all the right things with no track record of doing those things. Idzik gave us cap flexibility which is probably the only thing he successfully accomplished.

I thought the same thing.  I liked that Woody specifically mentioned personnel and scouting issues.    

The only caveat I had was that Woody would be too easy to impress with talk rather than real accomplishments (see Mangini, Eric).   I think if you tell Woody what he wants to hear you can make a great impression on him.    That doesn't necessarily translate to success as HC or GM of an NFL franchise.  I think Idzik told him what he wanted to hear to get the job.  

i agree with your caveat.

probably why he has CC and RW this time.

maybe he was telling the truth in terms of looking at his mistakes as well.

I think what I liked most about the presser was that Woody voiced how important this time period is. He described it as "critical" Not only is talking about it but he hired 2 football men to help him make the right decision showing that he truly does believe this time period is extremely important.

Am I the only one concerned that Woody openly tampered by saying he'd love to have Darrelle back as a Jet?

No, it was the first thing I thought of.  Fluff year or not, technically Revis is under contract with the Patriots through the end of next season, and they retain his exclusive rights until March 1, 2016. 

No, it was the first thing I thought of.  Fluff year or not, technically Revis is under contract with the Patriots through the end of next season, and they retain his exclusive rights until March 1, 2016. 

According to contract details obtained Thursday morning by USA TODAY Sports, Revis received a $10 million signing bonus on the deal, which includes a $1.5 million guaranteed base salary for 2014 and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

It also contains an option for 2015 that the Patriots would have to exercise by the end of the 2014 league year, locking in a $12 million roster bonus payable April 1, 2015, a base salary of $7.5 million and another $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

If the Patriots decline the option – which seems likely given the price, no matter how well Revis plays – it also would prevent them from using the franchise tag, meaning Revis would either get a new deal in New England or hit the open market.

He says the Jets should have spent more money.

Duh.

Did he really say that ? That just shows how clueless he is.

John Idzik did the right thing by being conservative. DRC signing is not sending Giants to the playoffs.

And the problem is statements like these from the owner have long term impacts on the organization. What do you think the next guy in the GM's chair is going to do. Be conservative like Idzik or throw money around. Welcome back to the Trader Mike days of overpaying. You asked for it.

How's that tampering , you can say I'd love to have Peyton at QB , he didn't say we're negotiating with Revis on bringing him back . 

Did he really say that ? That just shows how clueless he is.

John Idzik did the right thing by being conservative. DRC signing is not sending Giants to the playoffs.

And the problem is statements like these from the owner have long term impacts on the organization. What do you think the next guy in the GM's chair is going to do. Be conservative like Idzik or throw money around. Welcome back to the Trader Mike days of overpaying. You asked for it.

He didn't flat out say they should have spent more money. In context of the question he said perhaps in hindsight they might have spent more money. Said they targeted certain players and they didn't pan out in the FA process. 

According to contract details obtained Thursday morning by USA TODAY Sports, Revis received a $10 million signing bonus on the deal, which includes a $1.5 million guaranteed base salary for 2014 and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

It also contains an option for 2015 that the Patriots would have to exercise by the end of the 2014 league year, locking in a $12 million roster bonus payable April 1, 2015, a base salary of $7.5 million and another $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

If the Patriots decline the option – which seems likely given the price, no matter how well Revis plays – it also would prevent them from using the franchise tag, meaning Revis would either get a new deal in New England or hit the open market.

Until the day comes where NE decides to cut ties with Revis, Revis can't talk to other teams and they can't talk to him. Other teams can't even talk about talking to him.

Hopefully it just blows over, but if NE has trouble re-signing Revis and we talk to him at all, don't be surprised if Kraft files tampering charges.

How's that tampering , you can say I'd love to have Peyton at QB , he didn't say we're negotiating with Revis on bringing him back . 

I didn't hear the PC, so I'm at a disadvantage. But if he said he'd like to have Revis back here that's technically tampering.

It doesn't get made a big deal of with Manning or Brady or others like that because they don't hop from team to team and are typically already signed long-term. In contrast, everyone knows NE has to re-enter negotiations with Revis after the superbowl.

He didn't flat out say they should have spent more money. In context of the question he said perhaps in hindsight they might have spent more money. Said they targeted certain players and they didn't pan out in the FA process. 

I did not watch the interview so i cannot argue. Maybe the context was different. But the firing of Idzik still disappointing.

Completely wrong. You can say you'd love to have a player LIKE Peyton at QB, but saying you'd love player XYZ is absolutely tampering. The argument the Patriots can make is that Revis now has an incentive to hold out/demand a trade/get cut because the Jets have implied an interest in him, which undermines his current contract and gives him leverage that otherwise didn't exist.

The Jets are wrong here.

Not sure people grasp why Saban would be insane to leave Alabama. Div. 1 is now the 2nd biggest sport, he has the best job he could ever hope for, he is ridiculously overpaid, and without the overwhelming advantage he has is recruiting Saban is nothing special. Look, the yahoos in Albama cast his in bronze next to Bear Bryant. You think he's leaving that to start his days being harrassed by Cimini and Mehta?

Saban would crack in NY, he barely made it in Miami . Want nothing to do with Saban, his players in Miami hated him.

Archived