Mort: Dan Quinn the favorite; Marrone "not much of a chance"

T0mShane

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Quinn, too. Only problem I see is waiting for the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl to hire him. Gonna make it more difficult to put together a staff if the Jets are the last team to sign their head coach.

Big issue with Quinn is that he wants his own GM, which is a dumb concession. He allegedly submarined the GM candidate Kirchner from Seattle, saying he wanted a more "seasoned" GM.

End of the day, this is probably just that cockroach Tannenbaum using the Jets to boost Quinn's price tag, while Woody uses Tannenbaum to drive Marrone's down.

I like Quinn, too. Only problem I see is waiting for the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl to hire him. Gonna make it more difficult to put together a staff if the Jets are the last team to sign their head coach.

he could be lining up guys now under radar.. I assume Jet shave made it known job is his.. 

Big issue with Quinn is that he wants his own GM, which is a dumb concession. He allegedly submarined the GM candidate Kirchner from Seattle, saying he wanted a more "seasoned" GM.

End of the day, this is probably just that cockroach Tannenbaum using the Jets to boost Quinn's price tag, while Woody uses Tannenbaum to drive Marrone's down.

quinn HC and cards mcgaganahan for GM or however u spell it

Just because he is a DC does not necessarily mean he has to have his head up the Ds ass all day, like Rex.  He could hire a DC, someone who agrees with his design, and let him call the plays.  I would like to have a HC who does not call plays, actually. Seems to me that it is counterproductive to running a team.   Just bothers me they have to wait so long.  And what GM of those we are interviewing is compatible with Quinn?

That is an issue, too. I strongly prefer a team structure where the GM is the boss, and the coach works for him. Especially with a first time head coach.

he could be lining up guys now under radar.. I assume Jet shave made it known job is his..

I don't know how many guys are gonna wait around for Quinn to be hired if they're getting offers elsewhere.

That said, maybe they can have a wink-wink deal with Quinn in place, hire the GM of his choice (against my preferences) and have him start hiring the assistant coaches Quinn wants... ? I don't even know if that's allowed, though. It would certainly be unprecedented.

Part of me thinks the Jets are lining up guys with all of these interviews for jobs other than just HC and GM. We fired the 2 guys we had to, everyone else we can and should retain until we've found replacements for them, or had the new HC and GM decide to keep them.

So, if we land on Quinn at HC, perhaps we snap Marrone in as OC (if he doesn't get any offers as HC elsewhere), and maybe the reason we interviewed Tom Cable had something to with Quinn poaching him?

What proof does anyone have of that?

I don't see anything wrong with him having standards about what type of GM his future is connected to. I wonder how much of this report is true, given that Kirchner is no less seasons than Paton (the guy he hoped to work with) in the role of GM, which neither has held.

That is an issue, too. I strongly prefer a team structure where the GM is the boss, and the coach works for him. Especially with a first time head coach.

I don't know how many guys are gonna wait around for Quinn to be hired if they're getting offers elsewhere.

That said, maybe they can have a wink-wink deal with Quinn in place, hire the GM of his choice (against my preferences) and have him start hiring the assistant coaches Quinn wants... ? I don't even know if that's allowed, though. It would certainly be unprecedented.

thats what I implied Slats, ,a wink wink deal in place and a PROMISE Jets will pay staff more than other teams offers so Quinn can get who he wants..

happy new year to u/yours by the way :)

Part of me thinks the Jets are lining up guys with all of these interviews for jobs other than just HC and GM. We fired the 2 guys we had to, everyone else we can and should retain until we've found replacements for them, or had the new HC and GM decide to keep them.

So, if we land on Quinn at HC, perhaps we snap Marrone in as OC (if he doesn't get any offers as HC elsewhere), and maybe the reason we interviewed Tom Cable had something to with Quinn poaching him?

How many guys are they interviewing that aren't under contract with someone else? We'd have to get permission to hire anyone for any job other than HC.

And I don't think Marrone would be a good coordinator at all. Too conservative. People are looking for the anti-Rex should be looking for a more aggressive approach on offense. A promoted DC with Marrone as the OC would feel a lot like the ol' ground & pound redux, IMHO.

I don't see anything wrong with him having standards about what type of GM his future is connected to. I wonder how much of this report is true, given that Kirchner is no less seasons than Paton (the guy he hoped to work with) in the role of GM, which neither has held.

I think Tannenbaum is trying to get Quinn the Atlanta job, personally.

thats what I implied Slats, ,a wink wink deal in place and a PROMISE Jets will pay staff more than other teams offers so Quinn can get who he wants..

happy new year to u/yours by the way :)

Yeah, I just think a "promise" isn't nearly as good as a solid offer. Will coaches wait for a promise when they have a real job offer in hand? That's why I speculated aloud about potentially actually hiring the assistants Quinn wants before he takes the job.

And Happy New Year to you, too. :)

How many guys are they interviewing that aren't under contract with someone else? We'd have to get permission to hire anyone for any job other than HC.

And I don't think Marrone would be a good coordinator at all. Too conservative. People are looking for the anti-Rex should be looking for a more aggressive approach on offense. A promoted DC with Marrone as the OC would feel a lot like the ol' ground & pound redux, IMHO.

That's fair, I'm not advocating it, just speculating that there's more on the agenda in this "search" than just finding the HC and GM. I could be completely off-base. Who knows?

Honestly, I don't know enough about Quinn to know whether or not he'll be a good coach. He sounds good in theory, and I think we've got some personnel here to start to run a Seattle style defense. 

Ultimately the head coach isn't calling offensive plays. There's a lot of things that the Jets need in a coach. Ability to hire a good coaching staff, manage both sides of the ball, develop players, make good decisions in game are all things the Jets lacked during Ryan's tenure - as much as I liked the guy.

And you obviously want a coach who guys want to play for but also respect - certainly had the former with Rex, not sure if the latter was true or they liked being able to walk all over him.

I also personally want a guy who's going to be aggressive. The worst thing about Marrone from my perspective is the mentality that he's going to punt on fourth and two from the 40. Bad play numbers-wise and I think in a game like football it's much better to have your foot on the gas.

If Quinn would bring all or even some of that - awesome. He's certainly well regarded and has had success. I kind of like that attacking matchup dictated style Bowles brings and think that'd make him a good head coach across the board, but I'm really just speculating based off of info read in articles by reporters who probably have their own agenda.

More seasoned, certainly. He has left the Falcons a little short on talent however and I'm surprised he still has a job. So much for being more seasoned.

It's amazing how perceptions of people can change so quickly. Dmitroff was considered a model GM during the search two years ago. Now he's garbage.

It's sad but because Atlanta has a QB, they may have their choice of Quinn or Bowles. Read today that Bowles prefers the Atlanta job over the other 4 teams he has been considered.

What about SF? Quinn apparently interviewed there. Has anyone heard anything on that front?

Archived