Mort: Dan Quinn the favorite; Marrone "not much of a chance"

T0mShane

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how perceptions of people can change so quickly. Dmitroff was considered a great GM. Now he's garbage.

Consistency is key in the NFL.  You might get away with a bad draft (3 or so if you are Jerry Reese), but have a couple in a row and the past is quickly forgotten. 

More seasoned, certainly.  He has left the Falcons a little short on talent however and I'm surprised he still has a job.  So much for being more seasoned.  

He did what most GMs do, he thought he had everything he needed to make an all-in play for the SB. Then everyone got hurt and/or old. Anyway, I see a "requirement" like that from a prospect, and I immediately wonder who is posturing and why.

This isn't true. Can't offer until their season is over.

I really think the NFL needs to consider a change to that rule.  It really puts winning coaches at a disadvantage.  For instance, Quinn playing  in the Super Bowl is actually a disadvantage in him getting a HC job because teams just don't want to wait.  Maybe they shouldn't let teams interview any coaches till after the Super Bowl?  Only GM candidates

You could guess that him being from New Jersey the job would appeal to him- Tanny be dammed

If I were from New Jersey, and I had the option of coaching our horrible fan base or out on the beautiful northwest coast with some of the best fans in football... 

I would hire Quinn. But he will have to find an OC. That may mean someone who has zero experience as one, and has never called plays. I can only hope he is a smart guy and chooses wisely.

Trestman available ,Koetter, if new faqlcons coach doesnt want him, greg roman if new 49ers coach doesnt want him, plus new guy could decide to keep MM around IF he thinks Geno has ANY shot

Big issue with Quinn is that he wants his own GM, which is a dumb concession. He allegedly submarined the GM candidate Kirchner from Seattle, saying he wanted a more "seasoned" GM.

End of the day, this is probably just that cockroach Tannenbaum using the Jets to boost Quinn's price tag, while Woody uses Tannenbaum to drive Marrone's down.

Would love to see a link or where it was said.   Cause I think its something you made up.

There is more stuff being made up by posters here now....

Guys, I'm pretty sure a coordinator can accept an HC job and then finish out his old job with a playoff team. I could have sworn that happened before.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. Looking, I found this in an article in the Chicago Tribune talking specifically about coaches whose teams may make it deep into the playoffs:

For one thing, timing becomes the major factor. Coaches on playoff teams can't accept new jobs until their current team finishes playing. So ultimately organizations in need of a head coach begin to feel a time crunch.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-coach-search-bears-spt-0103-20150102-story.html

Quinn eh?  The very guy Idzik was going to bring in here before Woody forced Rex on him thus having two years of crushing pain and having rex take down the good ship idzik like an ice burg near newfoundland.  Time for Woody to change it up here now, force a gm on a coach rather than force a coach on a gm.  Smart thinking!

So if Ballard is the likely GM of the Bears who is his likely HC going to be?  Bowles? Marrone?  Seems to me the chips start falling into place once the first team in the market makes a hire.

I think it's Toub, KC'S ST coach. He had a couple of interviews last year. He is very well thought of and many believe he will be a great HC.

I like Quinn, too. Only problem I see is waiting for the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl to hire him. Gonna make it more difficult to put together a staff if the Jets are the last team to sign their head coach.

That's what happened in 2000 the Giants made the Bowl that year and the DC was John Fox who the Jets liked but didn't want to wait till after the Super Bowl so Tags talked Bradway and Woody into Hermie.. The OC on that Giant team was Sean Payton.

Reports are Mora Jr. being interviewed for HC of NYJ today or tomorrow.  First I heard of that one...

That is how Rex found out he was being fired. When Casserly called Mora's agent to ask about his buyout at UCLA. Apparently he has the same agent as Rex. :)

Quinn eh?  The very guy Idzik was going to bring in here before Woody forced Rex on him thus having two years of crushing pain and having rex take down the good ship idzik like an ice burg near newfoundland.  Time for Woody to change it up here now, force a gm on a coach rather than force a coach on a gm.  Smart thinking!

Idzik's story here could be different in a few years. They just needed Idzik to not be the one drafting. But if players like Shaq Evans contribute.

Archived