Bowles Picks Gailey to Run Offense, Develop Smith

JetNation

Geno Smith

As expected, New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles added veteran offensive coordinator Chan Gailey to his staff.  Gailey brings a level of experience to the staff that would be difficult to rival elsewhere.  His coaching career dates back to 1974 with Florida and has totaled 38 years covering positional coaching, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, special teams and head coach.  Gailey won a division title in Dallas with the Cowboys as their  Head Coach in 1998.

His experience could prove to be invaluable and make him the perfect fit for Bowles, a first time head coach. The results he has produced with young, inexperienced quarterbacks along the way in Pittsburgh, Miami, and Buffalo could be just what the Jets are looking for as they hope to develop Geno Smith as he enters his third season.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DnhrkmVeUNs

View the full article

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to add another QB to battle for the starting job.  Statistically Geno did make strides in his 2nd year.  We live in a day and age of instant gratification, if you don't produce immediately everyone wants someone else.  I don't know if Geno will amount to anything, but the jury is still out.

You missed the part where we was benched for a guy who had no interest in actually playing.

Geno Smith is not good. Time to move on.

See my earlier post. I said he didn't play the whole year. There's no way to extrapolate that.

All I know is that the stats say Geno played better his second year than his 1st year

We need to add another QB to battle for the starting job.  Statistically Geno did make strides in his 2nd year.  We live in a day and age of instant gratification, if you don't produce immediately everyone wants someone else.  I don't know if Geno will amount to anything, but the jury is still out.

Correct. And I think they will.

See my earlier post. I said he didn't play the whole year. There's no way to extrapolate that.

All I know is that the stats say Geno played better his second year than his 1st year

isn't that like a nowhere to go but up type situation?

Correct. And I think they will.

It's never been easier to be a QB in the NFL.  If you don't show anything in 2 years you can safely move on.  We didn't figure that out quick enough with Sanchez.  Let's hope the new regime doesn't make the same mistake.

Not to mention, new regimes almost always mean new QB's.  My money is on Ryan Fitzpatrick ending up our Week 1 starting QB and us also drafting a QB in the mid-rounds as our developmental project.  Geno will be on the roster but basically as an afterthought in our plans.

Smith gets another year before I give up on him. I think for some reason Geno understands that Dolphins defense. He mentioned the week we played the Vikings that they play the same defense as the Dolphins and he had 2 weeks to prepare for something very similar. He did well against the Vikings outside of that first pick 6 Then we played the Dolphins again a few weeks later and he played great. It makes me wonder if the last week of the season was what we will see if geno actually understands what the defense is trying to do to him. In some ways that's an indictment as well, but I kind of believe we haven't seen the best of this guy yet.

isn't that like a nowhere to go but up type situation?

Remember that "progress" Sanchez showed in 2010 with better weapons?  This is very similar.  Except we only invested a 2nd rounder in Geno, and everyone responsible for both him being drafted AND coaching him up are gone or, in the case of the scouts, soon to be gone.

It's never been easier to be a QB in the NFL.  If you don't show anything in 2 years you can safely move on.  We didn't figure that out quick enough with Sanchez.  Let's hope the new regime doesn't make the same mistake.

Not to mention, new regimes almost always mean new QB's.  My money is on Ryan Fitzpatrick ending up our Week 1 starting QB and us also drafting a QB in the mid-rounds as our developmental project.  Geno will be on the roster but basically as an afterthought in our plans.

With Gailey as our OC and Maccagan as our GM, I do think there is an excellent chance Fitzpatrick could the vet QB brought in. Gailey did get the best out of Fritzpatrick.

Remember that "progress" Sanchez showed in 2010 with better weapons?  This is very similar.  Except we only invested a 2nd rounder in Geno, and everyone responsible for both him being drafted AND coaching him up are gone or soon to be gone.

It's weaponz with a z, btw.

I have been one of the biggest critic of Geno Smith on this site since day 1 of his draft.  never thought he was going to be good and it turned out I was right for his 1st 2 years.

with that said and the 3 int in a row game against the bills.  I think he may have a chance to turn it around.  I think his biggest issues are his emotions and he a pussy at times

I think he could grow out of the emotion issue and maybe grow up bit so he can forget and not throw 3 int in row.  Clearly he let the 1st int get into his head and he fell apart.  If he is going to keep falling apart he will never be a starter again but again he does have a chance to overcome that esp with Chan.

I think MM offense was too complicated for him and MM was an idiot in general

I think once a pussy always a pussy but Tom Brady is a pussy so doesn't mean he cant have some success.  They need to protect him better and not have turnstiles like Winters and Breno protecting him.

with all that said we need to draft a qb and get a FA in here to compete, best man wins.  I trust Macc, Bowels, and Chan to do the right thing. 

Someone who sees the big picture.  Smith doesn't deserve anything handed to him, but to just cast him

aside would be the height of stupidity.  He's on his rookie contract with two years left and he has NFL talent 

(arm & legs).  Let a fresh staff get their hands on him and see what they can do.  It has happened in the past

or do people forget Alex Smith in SF and what Harbaugh did with him.  He went from being the "busts of all busts"

to a serviceable game manager capable of taking a team to the playoffs

Problem is there are no FA qb's better than Geno and Winston isn't dropping to 6.

Better vet FAs than G-No....

Too long a list to type in

Just about every backup, most #3s, 90% of those in the CFL and Arena, and 5-10K who played QB in college, were never drafted and are out of football

Someone who sees the big picture.  Smith doesn't deserve anything handed to him, but to just cast him

aside would be the height of stupidity.  He's on his rookie contract with two years left and he has NFL talent 

(arm & legs).  Let a fresh staff get their hands on him and see what they can do.  It has happened in the past

or do people forget Alex Smith in SF and what Harbaugh did with him.  He went from being the "busts of all busts"

Drew Brees is another example.

If this team goes into the year pining their hopes on Geno smith the cred of the new front office and coaching staff comes into immediate question for me.

you must not of read, Bowles was a UDFA so like guaranteed awesome and stuff

Smith doesn't deserve anything handed to him, but to just cast him aside would be the height of stupidity

there's a statement that gets thrown around alot on this forum "addition by subtraction" 

It's usually hyperbole but in Geno Smith's case the team literally gets better the day he gets cut. 

Drew Brees is another example.

Haha.  Brees completed 65 % of his throws his final 2 seasons in San Diego.  And that was BEFORE all the QB-friendlly rule changes.  He's not at all an example of what KRL is talking about. 

And as for Alex Smith, just because Harbaugh got something out of him doesn't make him some valuable QB.  It's why Harbaugh benched him in favor of Kaepernick.  You'll never win a title with a check-down machine like Alex Smith but he's just good enough to keep a starting job for a long time.  Basically the most infuriating type of QB.  A Chad Pennington who hasn't had a significant shoulder injury.

It's soooo much better to cut ties with a bad QB 1 year early rather than 1 year late.  We need to be adding 2 new QB's to the roster and continue adding QB's every year until we find one.  Not holding onto sh*tty ones and hoping they'll "get it" with the right set of circumstances around them.

Archived