the failed harvin experiment coming to an end

kmnj

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was always going to be cut. The question is whether or not they re-sign him.

If they cut him they are most likely not going to resign him. If they cut him before the 19th of March and resign him right after that date the will still owe the Hawks a 4th rounder. Basically if the Jets  resign him anytime before the draft the Jets will owe the Seahawks a 4th rounder. So if their intention was to restructure his deal then there's no need to cut him...they would just do it. 

Let's not act like FA WR's are lining up to get here. There is a major issue with the football thrower here that is well known and documented. I don't remember Harvin being a locker room cancer at all here. I am not saying he is a member of the choir either.

He looked quite productive in the games he played for the Jets with all things considered. Renegotiate? Yes. Cut out right? No. The Jets need playmakers and he is one of them in this league. The opposing D's have to account for him. Not too many other Jets draw that type of attention on O.

What we're arguing is that the money could, potentially, be better spent elsewhere on other players.

that's not entirely clear. teams have franchise tags. How many better gamebreakers than Percy Harvin will be on the market this offseason? Dez and Demarious aren't making it to the market.

have mixed feelings about Percy Harvin, his contract is obviously a mess but so are the Jets.

To win football games, points must be scored.  Usually by the offense. Crazy. 

harvin isn't reliable but when he's in he makes plays. They need more guys like that not less. 

If he's cut he's gone. It's that simple. I don't think they can cut him on the 18th and resign him on the 20th and screw the Seahawks out of their 4th.

Plus, if he's free, why would he resign here. I'm sure at least 50% of the teams in the league will be interested. And a bunch of them will have a legitimate QB on the roster. They aren't going to pay him 10 million, but I'm sure the Pats will take a swing at him.

The pats are going to be hard pressed to sign 1/2 the guys on thier team that are FA. Unless Revis leaves thee is no money for any other teams FA;

that's not entirely clear. teams have franchise tags. How many better gamebreakers than Percy Harvin will be on the market this offseason? Dez and Demarious aren't making it to the market.

have mixed feelings about Percy Harvin, his contract is obviously a mess but so are the Jets.

To win football games, points must be scored.  Usually by the offense. Crazy. 

harvin isn't reliable but when he's in he makes plays. They need more guys like that not less. 

This guy gets it 

One of the most pointless moves in recent memory.

The focus now should be on limiting the damage, cutting the player (and saving that money for smarter, better spending going into free Agency) and limiting the losses (saving our 4th, losing only the 6th).

Expensive, locker room cancer, oft injured glorified kick returners are not what this team needs.

We can and should expect better.

And $6 million in rollover money.

everyone's complaining about the 4th vs the 6th round but it's a crapshoot at that point. That shouldn't be relevant. 

the Jets had all numbers in the 4th round last year and got nothing to show for it. 

fortunately for the jets, they no longer have mr ed calling the shots. there were/are players to be had in the 4th round

A 4th round pick is pretty valuable in this league. Especially in the top 6. We have landed some outstanding contributors in the 4th over the years. It is debatably our best round traditionally... Sadly. Just because we tanked last year, doesn't mean that the difference of 64 draft positions (4th to 6th round) is meaningless

Huh? Handful of decent guys here or there, MAX. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2014&type=&round_min=4&round_max=4&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=nyj&pos=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

Why not wait to see who becomes available?  He has to be cut by the third day of free agency.  Maybe we can move quickly on a WR (Smith? Cobb?) secure him, and then decide to cut Harvin?  

The 4th round pick wouldn't matter as much if he was willing to take a paycut.  But if he's not willing to take a paycut, and wants the money, then cut him and move on, because he's delusional about his value around the league.  There is significant risk with him, because of concussions, and we know that problem doesn't really go away, throw in his other injuries, malcontent attitude, and we'll see who signs him next year for top tier money.  

If we do cut him, we have to sign a decent WR and draft a top 2 round prospect for WR as well, which won't be a terrible idea anyway.   But the high price tag plus the pick makes it easy for us to cut him.  

Although part of me thinks, this is mainly posturing by the Jets to get him to take a paycut.  Once Tanny and Pettine left, we had no leaks from the organization at all, so it's a bit surprising that this leaks out, because it seems beneficial to the Jets in every which way.  It announces that someone like Harvin could be a free agent (adding one more talented guy to the pool, lowering the money that can be distributed to others), and lets Harvin's agents know that they are willing to follow through on the plan to let him go.  The same reason everyone is bashing Idzik for, wasted cap space rollover, draft pick, could be leverage used by the agent to not agree to a paycut because he feels that the club has already invested too much in Harvin to just cut him, but this leak would intend to undercut that.  

Why not wait to see who becomes available?  He has to be cut by the third day of free agency.  Maybe we can move quickly on a WR (Smith? Cobb?) secure him, and then decide to cut Harvin?  

The 4th round pick wouldn't matter as much if he was willing to take a paycut.  But if he's not willing to take a paycut, and wants the money, then cut him and move on, because he's delusional about his value around the league.  There is significant risk with him, because of concussions, and we know that problem doesn't really go away, throw in his other injuries, malcontent attitude, and we'll see who signs him next year for top tier money.  

If we do cut him, we have to sign a decent WR and draft a top 2 round prospect for WR as well, which won't be a terrible idea anyway.   But the high price tag plus the pick makes it easy for us to cut him.  

Although part of me thinks, this is mainly posturing by the Jets to get him to take a paycut.  Once Tanny and Pettine left, we had no leaks from the organization at all, so it's a bit surprising that this leaks out, because it seems beneficial to the Jets in every which way.  It announces that someone like Harvin could be a free agent (adding one more talented guy to the pool, lowering the money that can be distributed to others), and lets Harvin's agents know that they are willing to follow through on the plan to let him go.  The same reason everyone is bashing Idzik for, wasted cap space rollover, draft pick, could be leverage used by the agent to not agree to a paycut because he feels that the club has already invested too much in Harvin to just cut him, but this leak would intend to undercut that.  

I don't understand the bolded. So its ok to lose the 4th if we save 2-3 Mil. But at 10Mil its a bad idea to give up the 4th. 

Bottom line the cap space shouldn't be an issue , we have lots of money and players that should be cut ( Pace/Babin/Harris/Wilson/Colon/CJ2K) or minimally restructured . So the real issue becomes is the 4th vs 6th round pick more valuable than keeping Harvin. I say its a no braner to keep Harvin.

I know our QB sucks, but this is Harvin as a Jet....

8 Games

52 Targets

29 Rec

350 Yards

1 TD

22 Rush Att

110 Yards 

0 TDs

1 Fumble

And these are the stats of Jeremy Kerley who will b replacing Harvin if he's cut:

16 Games

75 Targets

38 Rec

408 Yards

1 TD

4 Rush Att

86 Yards

0 TDs 

0 Fumbles

And these are the stats of Jeremy Kerley who will b replacing Harvin if he's cut:

16 Games

75 Targets

38 Rec

408 Yards

1 TD

4 Rush Att

86 Yards

0 TDs 

0 Fumbles

Yeah, the Jets are going to replace Harvin with Kerley. You do know about the cap space we HAVE TO SPEND THIS YEAR, yes? 

I don't understand the bolded. So its ok to lose the 4th if we save 2-3 Mil. But at 10Mil its a bad idea to give up the 4th. 

Bottom line the cap space shouldn't be an issue , we have lots of money and players that should be cut ( Pace/Babin/Harris/Wilson/Colon/CJ2K) or minimally restructured . So the real issue becomes is the 4th vs 6th round pick more valuable than keeping Harvin. I say its a no braner to keep Harvin.

The cap space matters though, we may have a ton of money, but so do other teams.  And we have major holes across the board.  Assuming we save 3-4 million from his cap space alone, and that 7 million is the market price for someone of his caliber, then I'd rather have the 4th round pick, plus whoever I can afford with that extra 3-4 million I get to play around with on a yearly basis.  Obviously, don't know who is going to get what, but based on average, this is what deals looked for guys last year at positions that maybe of interest to us: 

Emanuel Sanders 3 years $15 million, cap hit of 4 million in his first year.  

Golden Tate, 5 year, 31 million, cap hit of 3 million on his first year.  

Brandon LaFell, 3 year, $11 million, cap hit of 2 million in his first year.  

Antonio Cromartie, 1 year $3.5 million

Captain Munnerlun, 3 years 11 million, cap hit of 3.3 million

Brandon Browner, 3 years, $15 million, cap hit of 2.7 in his first year. 

Then you have to factor in who we can possibly get with the 6 or 7 million.   I think I've seen most predictions on Cobb getting a contract in that range as well.  Maclin too.  Maybe Crabtree gets less.  

Would I like to have any of these guys PLUS whoever guy I can afford to with that money?  Absolutely.  At that point, the pick exchange is better as well, since I'd much rather keep the 4th than the 6th.  

However, if Harvin's price comes down to the 6-7 million range, then we can still pick up the 3-4 million player on top of Harvin, and the exchange in picks can be seen as the price in certainty instead of going into the free market.  But to overpay on Harvin, when other options out there are better than him, and will in all likely hood be cheaper than him, AND give up the picks is too costly in my eyes.  

Yeah, the Jets are going to replace Harvin with Kerley. You do know about the cap space we HAVE TO SPEND THIS YEAR, yes? 

Nope.  The Pro-Harvin crowd has set the rules.

We either keep Harvin, or we lose any chance to sign, draft or develop ANY other WR's.....forever.

Yup, Harvin at 10 mil a year, or noth'in apparently.

Sucks, but surely the Pro-Harvin crowd wouldn't be wrong.

So I guess we're stuck with Harvin in 2015.

It's ok tho, I am SURE he'll play all 16, be a model citizen, and be like, awesome and stuff.

After all, he's a PLAYMAKER!

Zzzzzzzzz........

everyone's complaining about the 4th vs the 6th round but it's a crapshoot at that point. That shouldn't be relevant. 

the Jets had all numbers in the 4th round last year and got nothing to show for it. 

Draft is a crapshoot......but keeping Harvin isn't.

Harvin is a sure thing.

Sure malcontent.

Sure injury risk.

Sure 600 yard annual average.

Sure 11 games.

Yup, Bit is 100% right, we do not know what our brand new, talent-foccussed GM, would do with a 4th.

But we sure do know what we get with Percy Harvin.

He's a playmaker.  The play he makes might be dissing other black players in the locker room as not black enough

Or playing around and getting hurt.  Again.

Or making a play...for more money.

He might even catch a few TD's......say, 3, his annual average.

Yup, Harvin is indeed the sure thing, the known quantity, here.

We either keep Harvin, or we lose any chance to sign, draft or develop ANY other WR's.....forever.

It's ok tho, I am SURE he'll play all 16, be a model citizen, and be like, awesome and stuff.

Zzzzzzzzz........

You do realize that out of all the WRs drafted in 2014 33 to be exact the Jets draft picks at WR were the only ones to not catch an NFL pass. 

You do realize that out of all the WRs drafted in 2014 33 to be exact the Jets draft picks at WR were the only ones to not catch an NFL pass. 

You do realize that has nothing to do a.) Harvin, and b.) with anything we do this coming year, don't you?

Yes , but that's the point . they would have to spend how much to sign a FA wr to replace Harvin. What do you think Dez, Thomas or Cobb will cost if they are even available.  So are we looking at signing guys like Torrey Smith or Maclin for 7-8 per year with guaranteed money and years built in. Why not just keep Harvin on his one year 10M . As far as the model citizen thing goes , how many wr's really fit that bill, most are divas and major PITA's , would Dez or Maclin be less of a headache if they were here. And on the durability front , a lot of Harvin's early issues were due to migraines, thath ave been controlled with the proper meds.

But hey I'm sure the Jets don't need any dynamic playmakers on O , I envision  Chan chomping on the bit  dreaming of ways to create those offensive mismatches with Decker, Kerley and .Evans .

Zzzzzzzzz........

Says the guy who posted a scenario the other day of the Jets either signing Maclin and drafting Green-Beckham, or keeping Harvin and doing absolutely nothing else with the position.

You

Pressing

Enter.

Yes , but that's the point . they would have to spend how much to sign a FA wr to replace Harvin. What do you think Dez, Thomas or Cobb will cost if they are even available. So are we looking at signing guys like Torrey Smith or Maclin for 7-8 per year with guaranteed money and years built in. Why not just keep Harvin on his one year 10M . As far as the model citizen thing goes , how many wr's really fit that bill, most are divas and major PITA's , would Dez or Maclin be less of a headache if they were here. And on the durability front , a lot of Harvin's early issues were due to migraines, thath ave been controlled with the proper meds.

But hey I'm sure the Jets don't need any dynamic playmakers on O , I envision Chan chomping on the bit dreaming of ways to create those offensive mismatches with Decker, Kerley and .Evans .

Dude, what are you even talking about. Maclin isnt a problem player. In fact he's one of the good guys in the league.

And you're overrating Harvin a great deal. Again, 8 games, 29 rec, 1 TD. Totally ******* dynamic, bro. Totally.

Dude, what are you even talking about. Maclin isnt a problem player. In fact he's one of the good guys in the league.

And you're overrating Harvin a great deal. Again, 8 games, 29 rec, 1 TD. Totally ******* dynamic, bro. Totally.

And your totally underestimating Harvin based on how he was used in Rex's  & MM's offensive system. We have a new HC and a OC who prefers the spread offense a perfect fit for Harvin.

For the people who say to keep him these are the things you have to consider

His price tag is too much even though he is talented i dont see him as a great WR.  Sure we have cap space but that doesnt mean we should still take on his contract.

Secondly he has said he WONT restructure his contract

Thirdly we have a high 4th round pick gone if we keep him which honestly id rather have more than a 6th rounder

Archived