the failed harvin experiment coming to an end

kmnj

Agree with the bolded. I don't get why so many Jet fans are against then spending money as if it was coming out of their pockets.

We need it to give Oday Aboushi an extension.

This is the same garbage as what happened last offseason when most jets fans were praising Idzik for taking a pass on Desean Jackson "too much, guy had an attitude man"

Jackson is a better player than Harvin but Harvin is on essentially a 1-year deal where he can get cut after 1 season. A hamstring injury to Decker ended our season before it even started last year and people want even less depth at what is the most important position in the game outside qb. For the jets it's even more important because we have scrubs at the qb position so we need as many good receivers as possible.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Failed? We basically got a great playmaker for a year for free, it was a great move regardless with no downside really. He was productive but he's not a starting receiver. If he doesn't lower his salary to under 5 mil. per year we have to cut ties with him, he's just not worth more than that.

For the people who say to keep him these are the things you have to consider

His price tag is too much even though he is talented i dont see him as a great WR.  Sure we have cap space but that doesnt mean we should still take on his contract.

Secondly he has said he WONT restructure his contract

Thirdly we have a high 4th round pick gone if we keep him which honestly id rather have more than a 6th rounder

So what , he's under contract for this year with no future cap impact or comittment. If he lights it up this year , you work with him to restructure for 2016 and beyond, otherwise let him walk out the door after this season.  If we were up against the cap, I'd be more in the let's try to rework his deal now camp. 

If we get anything close to the 2011 version of Percy Harvin , his value is worth way more than a 4th round crapshoot.  For a team that has been starved for offensive talent you think fans here would value difference makers even if they come with a semblance of risk. My feared scenario is he gets cut and we have a hard time signing a top end replacement , we end up with worse offensive tools then we had last year and that's not acceptable.

Failed? We basically got a great playmaker for a year for free, it was a great move regardless with no downside really. He was productive but he's not a starting receiver. If he doesn't lower his salary to under 5 mil. per year we have to cut ties with him, he's just not worth more than that.

It absolutely wasn't free, in fact it was VERY expensive and pointless....It cost us $7mm in cap space - That would be $7mm more we would have this year.   That is significant. - to throw away when the season was already over.

Horrible move and the reason it was made was even worse.

So what , he's under contract for this year with no future cap impact or comittment. If he lights it up this year , you work with him to restructure for 2016 and beyond, otherwise let him walk out the door after this season.  If we were up against the cap, I'd be more in the let's try to rework his deal now camp. 

If we get anything close to the 2011 version of Percy Harvin , his value is worth way more than a 4th round crapshoot.  For a team that has been starved for offensive talent you think fans here would value difference makers even if they come with a semblance of risk. My feared scenario is he gets cut and we have a hard time signing a top end replacement , we end up with worse offensive tools then we had last year and that's not acceptable.

If he lights it up in 2015, why do you let him walk?  He is signed at $10-$11M per through the 2018 season.  They can cut him at any time without a cap hit, but he will probably want to behave so that he can keep this current deal.  He is unlikely to make more on the open market, though a new deal might actually be less friendly to the Jets.

It absolutely wasn't free, in fact it was VERY expensive and pointless....It cost us $7mm in cap space - That would be $7mm more we would have this year.   That is significant. - to throw away when the season was already over.

How does us spending x amount last year cost us the same amount a year later again?

And we'd still be in the same boat. Needing to use that $7M to fill the #1/2 wr slot and still needing to add depth to the position. It nets out about a $3M loss and 4th round pick if he's kept. IMO well worth the risk if he's utillized effectively by Chan.

How does us spending x amount last year cost us the same amount a year later again?

He is talking about the rollover.  Teams can roll cap space into the next year.  It is the reason people didn't all freak out when Idzik was so far under the cap for 2014.  Some people did, but some of us figured he had a plan to spend in 2015.  . 

10mill for a malcontent slot receiver, that we have to give up a 4th rounder for NO! - Hell Tampa cut Revis so they did not have to give is a 3rd. Let's use the picks to get a potential #1 like Green-Beckham. Another thing I don't like he's fragile, if he's all that why is the Jets he's third club already and he's only 26!

10mill for a malcontent slot receiver, that we have to give up a 4th rounder for NO! - Hell Tampa cut Revis so they did not have to give is a 3rd. Let's use the picks to get a potential #1 like Green-Beckham. Another thing I don't like he's fragile, if he's all that why is the Jets he's third club already and he's only 26!

Its ironic you want to get rid of a malcontent and replace him with DGB .

If he lights it up in 2015, why do you let him walk?  He is signed at $10-$11M per through the 2018 season.  They can cut him at any time without a cap hit, but he will probably want to behave so that he can keep this current deal.  He is unlikely to make more on the open market, though a new deal might actually be less friendly to the Jets.

Didn't say that - said if he lights it up work to restructure his contract for next season. If he flames out, then simply cut him end of season.

It was not pointless at all if they had plans for him for this season.  I'll say one thing some players are going to get eye popping contracts this year in FA.  It is not going to be easy to get impact players or spend all of our cap money in this FA.  Very little chance in my mind that we keep him at his present deal so the people unhappy with Harvin will not be too upset.

Yeah for whatever the rook deal looks like, and for the possible no 1# receiver, or keep the gimmick play smurf, who makes Santoni look like a good team mate.

Difference is Santonio dogged it on the field. Everytime I saw Harvin play last year he was busting his butt blocking or fighting for extra yardage and this from a guy who was widely under used . When Holmes didn't get the ball he sulked.

Too much risk, Santonio Holmes 2.0.  Keep the pick and cap space. 

Too much risk, Santonio Holmes 2.0.  Keep the pick and cap space. 

Good maybe we can resign the choir boy David Nelson, we all know how DC's stayed up nights worrying about how to cover that beast.

We have a play maker signed to high cap number , but  a favorable contract in that he can be cut at anytime, yet our fan base worries that he may cause locker room issues. If he can get our offense to go , I wouldn't care if he burned down the locker room every week.

Plus to lump him in as Tone II without looking into the sitautions is plain lazy,

Good maybe we can resign the choir boy David Nelson, we all know how DC's stayed up nights worrying about how to cover that beast.

We have a play maker signed to high cap number , but  a favorable contract in that he can be cut at anytime, yet our fan base worries that he may cause locker room issues. If he can get our offense to go , I wouldn't care if he burned down the locker room every week.

Plus to lump him in as Tone II without looking into the sitautions is plain lazy,

Nelson had like 60 for 650 with 5TDs catching balls from Fitzpatrick for Chan Gailey in 2011.  He looked like an up and comer before he blew out his knee in the opener against the Jets in Stephen Hill's coming out/going away party.

Best post in thread. 

With the new CBA rules you rollover any cap you did not spend. So we would have had another 7m to spend this season. Terrible move. 

Difference is Santonio dogged it on the field. Everytime I saw Harvin play last year he was busting his butt blocking or fighting for extra yardage and this from a guy who was widely under used . When Holmes didn't get the ball he sulked.

We were also locked into a multi year deal we couldn't get out of with Tone. We can easily keep Harvin next year and cut him.

We have a play maker signed to high cap number , but a favorable contract in that he can be cut at anytime, yet our fan base worries that he may cause locker room issues. If he can get our offense to go , I wouldn't care if he burned down the locker room every week.

It's getting to be exhausting talking to jet fans who undervalue the WR position while overrating the David Nelson's and Chaz Schilenses. Unless you have a Brady or Manning you need good receivers to make up for it.

Eric Decker's pulled hamstring wrecked our season last year because we had 0 depth behind him at WR and now people want even less depth.

Why would you ever let a player in his prime like Percy get away if we can renegotiate his contract? Come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the last 2 years Harvin has generated 702 total yards, for $21,000,000.  That $29,914 a yard.   Harvin has already said he's not re-negotiating.   Why would you want to keep Harvin at almost $30,000 a yard? 

It's getting to be exhausting talking to jet fans who undervalue the WR position while overrating the David Nelson's and Chaz Schilenses. Unless you have a Brady or Manning you need good receivers to make up for it.

Eric Decker's pulled hamstring wrecked our season last year because we had 0 depth behind him at WR and now people want even less depth.

I think what people are saying is take some of the Harvin money and pay it to a real WR (Harvin's a weapon but he's not a legit WR)  go get that person to be opposite Decker.  $10mm goes a long way in trying to a top tier free agent.  

I think what people are saying is take some of the Harvin money and pay it to a real WR (Harvin's a weapon but he's not a legit WR) go get that person to be opposite Decker. $10mm goes a long way in trying to a top tier free agent.

Who are we getting? Dez and Thomas will be tagged. Cobb isn't coming here and GB wants him back. Maclin loves Philly and is already in negotiations to return. That brings us to the Crabtrees, the Torry Smiths, the Kenny Britts of the world. Unless you want to a flier on a Wr who could be cut like Marshall (not a bad option) or Fitz or Wallace.. Cutting Harvin on 3/19 without having already replaced him on the roster isn't something I'd be in favor of.. But if they somehow do get Cobb or Marshall .. great. Cut him.

The 4th round pick doesn't kick in until 7 days into the FA period, I think.  If we can replace him for cheaper by then, great.  If not, keep him.  Easy!

It really is that easy. Not necessarily cheaper, but maybe better. They'll be tampering with agents before free agency starts -just like everyone else- and have a good idea of what the market is for whoever they may like. If they fall on their face like Idzik would've done, Harvin becomes the consolation prize. It wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. 

If they really don't like what they're paying him (and maybe land a quality WR in the draft), they can push the issue closer to start of the season - when no one else  would have any money lying around to pay him. 

Harvin gets cut and doesn't hurt a damned thing. Doesn't cost 12 mil. Doesn't cost a 4th round pick and either re-signs on the cheap or walks and we give up a 6th rounder. Idzik wasn't perfect, but he did well with Harvin.

Harvin is a luxury.  It was a bad bad bad move by Idziot and will cost us a 6 round pick. This team doesn't even have a bonafide QB.  You don't spend that kind of cash on a player when your offense is in disarray and in dire need of rebuilding.  Harvin is an anomaly. He isn't a #1 or a #2 WR or a RB that can play every down.  He's probably best served as a slot receiver but demands way too much for a player in that position.  Plus, he's hurt ALWAYS.   No way he is resigned by Maccagnan. If he is smart, he puts his stamp on this team and rids himself of Idziot's moves as much as possible. 

One of the most pointless moves in recent memory.

The focus now should be on limiting the damage, cutting the player (and saving that money for smarter, better spending going into free Agency) and limiting the losses (saving our 4th, losing only the 6th).

Expensive, locker room cancer, oft injured glorified kick returners are not what this team needs.

We can and should expect better.

Three freakin times this jerk took the ball nine yards deep in the endzone and ran it out to about the nine or ten. Should have cut that fool that very day. Not worth a penny of the money he is owed. Bye-bye.

I think what people are saying is take some of the Harvin money and pay it to a real WR (Harvin's a weapon but he's not a legit WR) go get that person to be opposite Decker. $10mm goes a long way in trying to a top tier free agent.

We need 1 WR if we keep Harvin and 2 if we cut him. There are only a handful of decent WR's legitimately available and you better overpay for multiple years guaranteed if you want them to go to a 4-12 team with no qb.

Again nobody is saying keep Harvin and do nothing at WR. I still want another FA WR or Cooper at 6. You need depth at WR or get used to 4 wins per season

Archived