Schefter expects us to pay Revis "anything he wants"

DaBallhawk

With the $10 million bump in cap space to $143 million (+$20 million from 2013) people need to adjust what "value" is.  There are alot of teams with money now and they will spend it.  We could see some outrageous contracts getting signed this year compared to what we've been used to.  I'd prefer a younger CB like Maxwell but if Revis "wants" $12 million it might be a better play than expecting Maxwell to fall into our laps at less.  Kelly might pay Maxwell $15+ making Revis look like a bargain.

The worst thing that Maccags can do here is whiff on the top tier guys by being too conservative and then being forced to overpay for the 2nd./3rd tier guys to get above the spending floor..   

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst thing that Maccags can do here is whiff on the top tier guys by being too conservative and then being forced to overpay for the 2nd./3rd tier guys to get above the spending floor..   

This right here.

This post was referencing a comment that we shouldn't sign Revis because we don't have a QB - As a rule if you don't want to sign all-world CB's in their prime because they're 30 is fine - but it shouldn't be because we don't have a QB. 

All super-expensive players aren't the same, even on 1 year deals. Like a WR, for example. Whether it's Geno or Foles or whomever, even a 1 year expensive WR rental can change the development of a young QB. Perhaps getting open more or earlier could prevent a QB from taking an injury-causing hit, or prevent a younger QB from getting shellshocked.

A 30 year old CB? To me that's only truly useful if he's a missing piece or if he's known for taking young players under his wing and making them better at their craft in a mentor type role. It is a waste of future spending ability with no upside unless one is a true contender. Signing him means we have a limited ability to over-spend on a player elsewhere who, while not as good as Revis, fills an equally-open hole but fills it for many more years. Failing to sign a 30 year old CB for 1 year at (what will surely be) some $15M allows us to indulge and overspend on others with an actual longstanding future here (or at least a legitimate shot at such).

Revis is a year to year mercenary. Nothing wrong with that, except you only bring him in if you're in a position like the Pats (or a similar contender for whom replacing a meh CB2 with a stud CB1 can make the difference between the SB - or a SB win* - and an early playoff exit).

If we were totally certain we were going to make a trade for Foles (and whatever anyone's opinion of him, this is a signal from the team they believe he is going to be a QB they'll build around for better or for worse), then that would be different. 

The season for wild football rumors is upon us!!! Usually anything Schefter reports I take

seriously but ever since the Marrone fiasco up in BUF I question where he gets his info.

Remember as soon as Marrone opted out of his contract Schefter was reporting that

he was going to be the Jet HC. How did that turn out???

Except that was true. it was confirmed some where that he was the guy, but Woody hated him in the interview and backed out.

A 30 year old CB? To me that's only truly useful if he's a missing piece or if he's known for taking young players under his wing and making them better at their craft in a mentor type role. It is a waste of future spending ability with no upside unless one is a true contender. Signing him means we have a limited ability to over-spend on a player elsewhere who, while not as good as Revis, fills an equally-open hole but fills it for many more years. Failing to sign a 30 year old CB for 1 year at (what will surely be) some $15M allows us to indulge and overspend on others with an actual longstanding future here (or at least a legitimate shot at such).

I'm not sure I agree with this.  It's tough to know with confidence that a HOF talent like Revis at 30 will be less effective in a few years than a 27 year old Maxwell.  To me it just comes down to money and if Revis can be had several million under Maxwell for equal if not better near term performance, you sign him.  If he wants more you look elsewhere...

I'm not sure I agree with this.  It's tough to know with confidence that a HOF talent like Revis at 30 will be less effective in a few years than a 27 year old Maxwell.  To me it just comes down to money and if Revis can be had several million under Maxwell for equal if not better near term performance, you sign him.  If he wants more you look elsewhere...

Revis can be had for several million under Maxwell? This is the first I've heard of such a suggestion.

Revis can be had for several million under Maxwell? This is the first I've heard of such a suggestion.

I'm not saying that at all.  My only point is I would let the money dictate the direction of the decision more than age or Revis's mercenary tendencies...

The season for wild football rumors is upon us!!!  Usually anything Schefter reports I take

seriously but ever since the Marrone fiasco up in BUF I question where he gets his info.

Remember as soon as Marrone opted out of his contract Schefter was reporting that

he was going to be the Jet HC.  How did that turn out???

Well. 

My only problem with this is that your choosing from a bunch of 3rd and 4th tier CBs. They will be lucky to still be in the league 4-5 years from now if your insisting thats when we'll be contenders.

Jets have a lot of money, I don't know if you're referring to Maxwell, House, Jackson, and Culliver as third tier, but we have the money to get players that are above the Dimitri Patterson tier of which you speak of. But if you really feel that way fine, sign Cro to a 1 year deal, sign Flowers or hell, even Revis to a 1 year deal. Just don't make the mistake of committing long term to an older player, no matter how great he is.

Doubt Adam Schefter would get fooled by Agent talk. I also doubt Woody went to him and said "we'll pay anything he wants!". Probably some people in our FO that maybe said something along the lines that they really, really want Revis back.

Some people in the front office? Woody said it on tv that he would have given him the 2 years 32 mill that he signed for. 

Jets are running up the price on the pats

Please, the pats know they are not going to compete with 6 teams that have 50 mill in cap space. He either wants to stay for what the pats can afford, or he wants to get paid. My guess for the last month has been that he and Suh will both sign with the raiders.

I'm not saying that at all.  My only point is I would let the money dictate the direction of the decision more than age or Revis's mercenary tendencies...

Well clearly. But his tendencies are only relevant because of his $ demands. At $12-16M for 1 year, he's not a stop-gap type that you're (realistically) hopeful a rookie wrestles the job away from.

Please, the pats know they are not going to compete with 6 teams that have 50 mill in cap space. He either wants to stay for what the pats can afford, or he wants to get paid. My guess for the last month has been that he and Suh will both sign with the raiders.

Ok so who is revis's replacement? McCourty and his $56 million contract moving to CB?

Revis and his agents have to know he no longer has the 14 mil value they thought he had at 26

I would offer him a 4 year 10 mil per knowing he can switch to safety and easily play into his mid 30's like Woodson

Does anyone here think another team would offer him 10 mil per at his age ?

If Revis thinks hes worth more than 10 mil than make the offer and let him go try and get more. No way he still wants the crazy money he wanted earlier

You guys are too much. Idzik tries to rebuild and people want his head. Now Jets are considering signing a hall of fame CB still in his prime, coming off a SB championship and we're complaining?

If we can get Revis, $60mm in cap space and can take him from a team in your division - you do exactly what Schefter says...You pay him whatever he wants.

This is sarcasm, right?

The Jets have absolutely NO need to sign Revis. This team is not a Super Bowl contender and have NO reason to sign him. Revis is mercenary who has a place. It is NOT with the NYJ. Build for the future, dont grasp at the past.

Revis and his agents have to know he no longer has the 14 mil value they thought he had at 26

I would offer him a 4 year 10 mil per knowing he can switch to safety and easily play into his mid 30's like Woodson

Does anyone here think another team would offer him 10 mil per at his age ?

If Revis thinks hes worth more than 10 mil than make the offer and let him go try and get more. No way he still wants the crazy money he wanted earlier

I don't think that's true. He's coming off a good season, will market himself as a mercenary that will deliver a ring to a team that would otherwise have fallen short (like Deion did). On a multi-year deal he wouldn't get that per year (or I'd be surprised to see it), but on a year-to-year deal? Absolutely I could see it with a $143M cap limit (and so many teams carrying over $ from 2014 to boot.

Wrong for us at this time IMO. Especially because it would give a LOT more credence to the tampering charges. If we stay away completely, they'll almost assuredly blow over.

I don't think that's true. He's coming off a good season, will market himself as a mercenary that will deliver a ring to a team that would otherwise have fallen short (like Deion did). On a multi-year deal he wouldn't get that per year (or I'd be surprised to see it), but on a year-to-year deal? Absolutely I could see it with a $143M cap limit (and so many teams carrying over $ from 2014 to boot.

Wrong for us at this time IMO. Especially because it would give a LOT more credence to the tampering charges. If we stay away completely, they'll almost assuredly blow over.

Well Sperm if he's looking for mercenary status then he's not the good fit here at all. If he wanted to come here and finish out his career as a Jet for a reasonable contract then I would say yes. I think we have enough in McDougle, Williams, Walls and Milliner to compete for the other spot and nickel / Dime packages to boost our situation in the secondary plus Revis' work at the facility will benefit all those young guys. Move Allen back where he belongs and Let Pryor Play in the box like Bowles used his safties in Arizona. The one thing Revis does bring is the guarantee he will play well barring any type of injury and that basically comes with any player.  

If we need to bring in a safety I think that evaluation can come next year we can't patch every weakness this year but I do think we can come close if we make the right moves at LB WR G and QB all of that is very attainable .... That being said the toughest position to fill will be the CB position (besides QB of course) that's one of the reasons I think you at least give Revis a look. In the end it comes down to him if your assessment of the situation is what hes looking to do then I agree let him walk

This is sarcasm, right?

The Jets have absolutely NO need to sign Revis. This team is not a Super Bowl contender and have NO reason to sign him. Revis is mercenary who has a place. It is NOT with the NYJ. Build for the future, dont grasp at the past.

What does that mean, build for the future?  How are they spending $65mm on all stud 25 year olds.  This money has to be spent over the next two years (league rules) - young studs that you can build around simply don't become available that often.  It's okay to put hall of famers that are still in their prime - but only will be for two years - on your roster.

And people saying in two years when the Jets are ready to compete - he'll then hold out...I say SO?  don't pay him and sign all of these other studs you guys think we can get.

All super-expensive players aren't the same, even on 1 year deals. Like a WR, for example. Whether it's Geno or Foles or whomever, even a 1 year expensive WR rental can change the development of a young QB. Perhaps getting open more or earlier could prevent a QB from taking an injury-causing hit, or prevent a younger QB from getting shellshocked.

Revis is a year to year mercenary. Nothing wrong with that, except you only bring him in if you're in a position like the Pats (or a similar contender for whom replacing a meh CB2 with a stud CB1 can make the difference between the SB - or a SB win* - and an early playoff exit).

If we were totally certain we were going to make a trade for Foles (and whatever anyone's opinion of him, this is a signal from the team they believe he is going to be a QB they'll build around for better or for worse), then that would be different. 

Who else are you getting to play CB? what 26 year old, shut down corner, are you signing?  If you're claim is we're not winning, then we're not winning anyway - might as well field the best team and sign the sign a mercenary again when you are ready to compete.  You're not giving Revis a long term contract.  It's a year, maybe two.

This fan base is absurd....You scream to fire a guy when he tries to rebuild and save cap dollars - then when the team wants to bring in high level, quality players we want to pass...because why??

He's too good (i.e. too expensive)

Please - if you have a chance to sign the best player in the league at a position of need you do so and don't look back.

Sounds like agent rhetoric to me. Trying to up NE's price. This would have happened with or without the tampering statement

This.

Revis' agent has used Woody and/or the Jets to boost the value of every single Revis contract that has been signed. Honestly, there's nothing to see here.

Archived