Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

We should give Idzik some credit for fixing our cap and giving us so much room to work with this year too.

I disagree...and not because I won't give Idzik credit when it's due.  Big picture, he was a failure but he did get us Ivory and Sheldon.  I also have high hopes for Ik and Dozier.

However, he really did nothing in terms of the cap that every armchair GM didn't predict before he did it.  This team was weighed down with some terrible contracts that absolutely had to be torn up if they were going to be in position to get some players.

Idzik did it to such an extreme that he took at 8-8 team that was a few players away from playoff contention and turned them in to a 4-12 laughing stock.  He could've saved plenty of cap space while improving the roster but opted to "punt" the season.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta figure Cro over Milliner. But what about Skrine? Did we really just shell out $6.5mil/year for a nickel guy? If it works, I'm not complaining. Just seems like a high enough deal that they'd expect him to be the #2.

You make it seem like the nickle guy is not as important. It's rare to see 2 wide reliever sets these days so Skrine will definitely have an important role with us.

I am excited man.

If we sign Cro, this is in indication we might be dealing Dee Milliner. I know he was a high draft pick and a first round pick but if we are intent on keeping Revis for the foreseeable future, Dee is expendable and can become a valuable trading piece to a CB desperate team.

If we could trade our 2015 1st, 2016 1st, and Dee for Tampa's #1 pick and get Jameis, I think I pull the trigger on that deal. 

Should we give him credit for striking out in an extremely depressed CB market?  Revis was available from the Bucs making $13M per year through 2018.  Cro signed for one year at $3.5M.  They could have had both for less than they pay Revis and not been running JuCo players out there at CB last year.  Thanks Idzik.  Revis knew it was a bad CB market, why didn't Idzik?  His obsession with cap space went beyond rational thought.

And now he is gone, but in the meantime one of the reasons he got rid of Revis was because we couldn't afford to pay the guy what he wanted, two years later we can afford Revis and still have 30m to spend. He did do some good for the team even if he wasn't able to be a part of that.

If we sign Cro, this is in indication we might be dealing Dee Milliner. I know he was a high draft pick and a first round pick but if we are intent on keeping Revis for the foreseeable future, Dee is expendable and can become a valuable trading piece to a CB desperate team.

If we could trade our 2015 1st, 2016 1st, and Dee for Tampa's #1 pick and get Jameis, I think I pull the trigger on that deal. 

Tampa wont though.

And now he is gone, but in the meantime one of the reasons he got rid of Revis was because we couldn't afford to pay the guy what he wanted, two years later we can afford Revis and still have 30m to spend. He did do some good for the team even if he wasn't able to be a part of that.

Except last year we could afford him and didn't even reach out.  Trading Revis was the right move.  Not looking to get him back in 2014?  Not so much.  That Tampa contract is looking pretty frugal right now.  We could have had him back for a wee bit more than Harvin is costing us.

Except last year we could afford him and didn't even reach out.  Trading Revis was the right move.  Not looking to get him back in 2014?  Not so much.  That Tampa contract is looking pretty frugal right now.  We could have had him back for a wee bit more than Harvin is costing us.

I also vaguely remember reports saying that Woody didn't want to sign Revis back last year, who knows if those reports held any validity but it is possible he changed his mind over the course of a year after seeing how bad our secondary was.

Based on Jason's calculations we still have almost 29 million in cap space:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

If you look at the details, this does not include Skrine or Carpenter figures yet, so more like $20M.  There clearly is some play in there though.  For example, if there was a OLB that we liked, either Pace or Babin could come off the books at basically their full salary (2M and 1.5M respectively)

I believe in Mac. I really do. Mac and Bowles are actually football guys unlike some of the guys we previously had (excluding Rex).

I like where we're going.

Me too way better than Rex and Idiotzik

Jets are the clear frontrunner for Cromartie, the recruiter...Revis.

-Ian Rapoport

Great news 

I'm loving this secondary already, Revis & Cro back together, I think we will finally get to see what Pryor is fully capable of with the security Revis and Cro provide. If Milliner or McDougle (playing nickel) prove to be anything they were sold as being then this is the best secondary we have ever had. 

Anyone else having a blast combing through Patriot fan comments about Revis on the NFL website? tons of them and they are a blast!

Roslyn Travis Rollins · Receptionist at PEE DEE GASTROENTEROLOGY AND ASSOCIATES

Revis is a joke!! The jets did't want him when they thought he was hurt and going to be at the bottom!! Do you truly think that they will honor that deal!! Not!! Travis

Samwise Pattow · Top Commenter
I wouldn't be happy if I was a jets fan... getting an older corner for a lot of money.... plus its like if your gf cheated on you with your arch enemy, won a superbowl ring.. and then what? you offer a bunch of money and they come crawling back.... gold digging bit..ch

Patrick Steele · Top Commenter · Concord, Massachusetts

I wonder if this scumbag faked those tears after the Super Bowl. No one remembers the highest paid player in NFL history. Legacy > Money. What an absolute fraud.

We're signing Cro which is completely unnecessary and we're going to trade for Fitzpatrick?

2 stupid dumb moves.

Trading for Fitz I think is actually the smart move, it gives him to us on a 1 year contract for 3.25m with nothing guaranteed as opposed to having to write up a deal which would likely involve somewhere between 5-7m over two years with money guaranteed to the guy. I suspect we don't give more than a 7th round pick for him.

We're signing Cro which is completely unnecessary and we're going to trade for Fitzpatrick?

2 stupid dumb moves.

Cro is a luxury, Fitzpatrick though is almost a necessity unless you have some other great scheme up your sleeve for a QB.  If the solution is Geno and a draft pick then god help us.

Except last year we could afford him and didn't even reach out. Trading Revis was the right move. Not looking to get him back in 2014? Not so much. That Tampa contract is looking pretty frugal right now. We could have had him back for a wee bit more than Harvin is costing us.

Yeah, we should have picked up Revis last year so we could go 6-10 and then had the privilege of watching him bounce on us like he did to the Pats.

2 stupid dumb moves.

Agree on the first part, disagree on the second. Trading a 7th round pick (it won't be more than that) for an immediate stabilization of the most important position is worth not having to wait for the Texans to cut him and then have to vie for his services on the open market.

2 stupid dumb moves.

Go back to sleep Johnny Utah...  We don't know what the #'s on Cro are and Fitzpatrick is the perfect backup QB for our situation.  Who cares about a 7th rounder that wasn't going to make the roster.

Go back to sleep Johnny Utah...  We don't know what the #'s on Cro are and Fitzpatrick is the perfect backup QB for our situation.  Who cares about a 7th rounder that wasn't going to make the roster.

Fitz isnt backing up if they trade for him which is just moronic.  Dont care how familiar he is will Chan.  Chan's supposed to be a QB guru who can make it work with anyone. 

Cro is a totally useless and unnecessary signing - he's not even good anymore.  What does he do for the team? 

2 stupid dumb moves.

You can never have too many CBs. We probably had the worst corners last year and now we have the best core.

Fitzpatrick will cost us a 7th round pick. The same pick that we didn't expect to get in the Marshall trade.

Stop being sad. You live in the finest city in the world..

Archived