Odell Beckham

joewilly12

I mean that is so true. Could you IMAGINE Mike and Mike this morning if it had been Brandon Marshall and Todd Bowles instead of the league's New Golden Boy and Tom Coughlin? Even Greenberg would be saying "and I'ma Jets fan but he should be suspended for the season" Cris Carter would be talking from atop his high and mighty horse throwing down lightning bolts of moral outrage to the lesser. You know my son told me that Dez Bryant threw a punch at Revis and they didn't even throw a flag the other night.

Not this year though. The SBs have worn off.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The book is out on the hotheaded turd.  He will make a few amazing one handed catches, but he will never be a difference maker.  Too easy to get in his head.  CBs and safeties will smack him around once or twice early, and he will be done for the day.

Let's not go crazy here. The guy is probably the most dynamic playmaker in the league. He's definitely a "difference maker", hot head or not.

Give me a break it's a ******* football game.  Anybody that would take anybody else over Beckham is a full blown. 

Exactly, its a football game.  Which is why Odell needs to stop ramming his helmet into people's heads after the whistle.  I'd still draft him too but you have to wonder if this is an aspect of his personality he can change.  How valuable will he be if he never changes, and you have to factor in multiple 15-yard flags and some ejections into his resume?  There's no precedent for this type of behavior by a WR, is there? 

His career could very easily implode if this is how he handles physical corner play.  It will continue to soar if he stops.  But it's not a sure thing he won't.

I am in no way advocating OBJs behavior - and yes I do agree he should have been ejected...nevertheless, I watched the game and  Norman was extraordinarily physical from the opening snap onward...play after play he committed what would normally be called penalties against OBJ.  Maybe if the officials didn't let Norman abuse OBJ so much it would not have escalated as it did... 

I am in no way advocating OBJs behavior - and yes I do agree he should have been ejected...nevertheless, I watched the game and  Norman was extraordinarily physical from the opening snap onward...play after play he committed what would normally be called penalties against OBJ.  Maybe if the officials didn't let Norman abuse OBJ so much it would not have escalated as it did... 

Nearly every corner has been doing the same thing Norman did every game because they know he can't handle it.  That in no way excuses OBJ of his behavior.  If the NFL wants to punish physical CB play even more than they already have, that's fine.  But Odell needs to be able to deal with it when it does happen too.  His behavior was far more inexcusable than Norman's.  People who think this is an isolated incident for Odell haven't been paying attention.  This is just him taking it to another level of thug-ness.

Yes Norman definitely was instigating - both guys need to be flagged right from the start by the refs

Exactly, its a football game.  Which is why Odell needs to stop ramming his helmet into people's heads after the whistle.  I'd still draft him too but you have to wonder if this is an aspect of his personality he can change.  How valuable will he be if he never changes, and you have to factor in multiple 15-yard flags and some ejections into his resume?

I read the thread after I posted. I do that a lot. Not really a best practice for sure. I really don't pay any attention to the NFL anymore except watching Jets games. I've pretty much given up and think it's all sh*t. Although sometimes I have the "other" games on I just don't care. So that said, I really didn't realize Odell was such a malcontent. So maybe me screaming to take Cooks over all the other WRs in 2014 wasn't all that bad an idea...possibly. 

I read the thread after I posted. I do that a lot. Not really a best practice for sure. I really don't pay any attention to the NFL anymore except watching Jets games. I've pretty much given up and think it's all sh*t. Although sometimes I have the "other" games on I just don't care. So that said, I really didn't realize Odell was such a malcontent. So maybe me screaming to take Cooks over all the other WRs in 2013 wasn't all that bad an idea...possibly. 

It's hard to read whole threads while you're flying down the highway, I get it.

Yes Norman definitely was instigating - both guys need to be flagged right from the start by the refs

Odell was flagged for 15-yarders three times and Norman twice.  The refs didn't handle it well overall and deserve criticism, but short of ejecting them both, this situation wasn't getting improved by flags.  Norman knew he had more to gain by getting Odell in trouble, and Odell doesn't care who wins the game as long as he gets his.

Odell is young and flamboyant and the league does not like his antics - kind of reminds me of a few other former pro athletes - Jeremy Shockey, Mark Gastineau and.....remember how Patrick Ewing would end up throwing a punch in nearly every game his rookie year?

The Giants defense is atrocious.  Its a shame, but after seeing him play several games, its fair to say JPP is a marginal player now.   If the Giants had the Jets D they would be 10-4 today.

But players that are "difference makers" make a difference, no?  Not to the Giants record, it seems.  But the defense...

There's nothing wrong with instigating , its a legal part of the game to get in another players head . What is wrong is the way the diva handled it. You want to shut up an opponent beat them on the field and hand the ball to the ref, you'll get a ton more respect from 99% of the players. With this latest tirade Odell is a marked man and perceived as a weak character, his talent may overcome some of that but he made it much harder on himself unecessarly.

I'd still take OBJ on my team

He's truly an exceptional talent, but there really is more to it for me than just that.  Beckham is able to do more than Marshall on the field, for example, but I wouldn't trade BM for OBJ right now because I truly appreciate watching Marshall play and can't help but like the guy.  Yes, Beckham is younger but do you really expect him to stay loyal to the Giants when it's contract time?  Give me the talented guy who wants to be here, wants to win, and is a team player and you can keep the uber-talented guy that's a dickbag who sabotages his team with stupid penalties almost on a weekly basis.

Maybe Beckham grows up and figures it out like Marshall did as he gets older.  Hope so.  Heck, even Randy Moss learned to tone it down in NE for a year (mostly).  Think of the career Moss would have had if he'd been more mature earlier on.

Love the attitude. Wish Kerley and Stephen hill had half the passion 

Attitude??  He is literally trying to seriously hurt someone by lauching himself into Norman's head.  What happens if Norman ended up with a concussion? 

Thats not attitude, thats being stupid and theres no room for that in the NFL.

Without rehashing what everyone else has said, there's no place in football for this kind of dangerous behavior, no matter what player or team. Shame on the players, the coaches, the officials, the Giant organization and the NFL itself. What a damaging blow to the Coughlin reputation and legacy. He wanted to win the game at all costs, even at the risk of someone's life.

So Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. went full-on Rocky Balboa and even used his helmet as a weapon against Panthers cornerback Josh Norman on Sunday? Who could have possibly seen that coming?

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie sure did.

Back in October, Cromartie had discussed Beckham on ESPN's "SportsNation." That was the conversation in which Cromartie grabbed headlines—and didn't exactly endear himself to Giants fans—by referring to Beckham as a "one-year wonder." 

Beckham had played exactly 16 games at that point, or the equivalent of a full NFL season.

But Cromartie also said Beckham had to learn to keep his cool when other teams got rough with him. Only that part got drowned out by the decidedly negative connotation of Cromartie's "one-year wonder" sound bite.

Archived