Will Jets dump Geno Smith to accelerate Bryce Petty's development ? ? ?

kelly

The New York Jets may have a 2016 quarterback competition, after all -- for the No. 2 job.

After what amounted to a red-shirt rookie season, Bryce Petty apparently will get a shot to become the primary backup, raising questions about the future of starter-turned-backup Geno Smith. On Wednesday, coach Todd Bowles gave Smith a lukewarm endorsement."Right now, Geno is our backup quarterback," Bowles said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.At the same time, he didn't rule out the possibility of Petty winning the No. 2 job. Asked if he'd be comfortable with Petty in that role, Bowles said, "That will be determined in the preseason and how well he does in summer camp and spring."

Mind you, Petty has no regular-season experience -- not a single snap in a game. It would be a leap of faith to give him that job, but the current administration drafted Petty last year in the fourth round and it naturally wants him to succeed. Thing is, it's hard to develop a quarterback when he's stuck in the No. 3 role. Players need reps to improve, and reps are at a premium under the current NFL practice rules. Petty needs to play -- a lot -- and he won't get better sitting behind Ryan Fitzpatrick (assuming he returns) and Smith, whom the organization may consider a road block."I think he has developed. I think he's still developing," Bowles said of Petty. "We'll see when preseason and camp rolls around next year, how much he's developed and whether the game has slowed down for him a little bit. We know he's a talent and can throw. He's bright and he's learning and he will keep progressing forward."

As noted after the season, I think it would be a mistake to make a rash decision on Smith, who, despite his faults, is an experienced player with an affordable cap charge ($1.6 million). Thanks to IK Enemkpali's fist, he never got a chance to play in Chan Gailey's offense. Smith was the presumptive starter a year ago, so it really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to discard him unless they get something in return.

For now, though, Petty will get every chance to climb one spot on the depth chart.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58618/will-jets-dump-geno-smith-to-accelerate-bryce-pettys-development

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They certainly will not cut Geno to accelerate Petty at all, that is a foolish Rex/Tanny like strategy.  They will cut Geno if they simply do not like what he brings to the table as a QB and I think that is what will happen.  Petty will show enough in of season workouts to be a back up though not a solid one and they will draft a QB.  Geno will find a new home.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

For a team supposedly trying to free up cap space, cutting a backup with 2 years starting experience who makes $1.6 mm makes no sense.

Sure it does. If they draft a QB this year, in any round, and Bryce Petty looks the part of at least a decent backup, Geno is gone.

That won't be the express purpose of cutting Geno Smith.  The reasons they'd cut him are three-fold:

1.  If we draft/sign any additional QB's, we can no longer hand him a roster spot. In an era when many teams carry only 2 QB's on active gamedays, carrying 4 on your 53-man roster is not prudent.

2.  He's no longer a "project QB".  He's a # 2 and that's it.  He serves no purpose outside of being a buffer for Petty.  This backs up point # 1. 

3.  Geno Smith sucks at his job.

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sure it does. If they draft a QB this year, in any round, and Bryce Petty looks the part of at least a decent backup, Geno is gone.

The problem is reps. If Petty is the number three guy he gets little or no reps. I agree that Geno should be sent packing, but not until summer workouts or preseason. Let Petty WIN the job rather than it be given by Smith' departure.

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

For a team supposedly trying to free up cap space, cutting a backup with 2 years starting experience who makes $1.6 mm makes no sense.

If you replace him with a guy who is even cheaper and a 3rd guy who is cheap as well becasue you simply don't like geno it makes sense.  We will find out what the team thinks of geno for sure soon enough.  Your logic is sound as long as the 1.6 million backup you actually want around your team.

I don't think cutting Geno is going to accelerate anyone's development. Bryce Petty needs to learn in his own time and that has nothing to do with Geno. The thread title is illogical. Personally, I would love to see Geno get cut for the sheer amusement and enjoyment by all the fans and players. But I do not want the Jets making any knee jerk reactions either. If the Jets draft a QB in the draft, then Geno's goose is cooked. When that happens, if it does, it will merely be Geno getting his in the end.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the phrase addition by subtraction gets thrown around. Cutting Geno Smith is an example of the team getting better by losing a player. Removing the possibility of Geno Smith taking a snap makes the team better. He's horrible. 

Agree. Now add to that and make the same post except put D'Brickashaw Ferguson's name in place of Geno Smith's. ;) 

I'm 100% fine with them dumping Geno before the season. But I thought the company line was that some absent competition was sorely needed.

Petty should be able to beat out Geno for the #2 job. I'd even spot Petty some brownie points if it's close, since his growth acceleration curve is likely steeper (therefore he may overtake Geno by midseason and forever thereafter). But prior to such a competition (though that hasn't been Bowles' thing so far), I see little purpose in cutting him other than personal reasons. And I'm assuming they also draft a QB this season and I'm gifting that rookie a roster spot as the #3 QB at worst, depending on whether he's a 1st or 7th round pick.

The only x-factor in this would be for team morale, if it's uncovered that Geno is a problem in the locker room again and no one can stand to be near him. Then you could replace him with a big bag of grapefruits and the team would be better off. No locker room distraction, and also reduces chance of scurvy.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

the phrase addition by subtraction gets thrown around. Cutting Geno Smith is an example of the team getting better by losing a player. Removing the possibility of Geno Smith taking a snap makes the team better. He's horrible. 

This times Brock Lesnar levels of magnitude. If this franchise doesn't cut ties with Geno that's the first sign that the current FO is more of the same. 

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only x-factor in this would be for team morale, if it's uncovered that Geno is a problem in the locker room again and no one can stand to be near him.  

Sure a teammate broke his jaw last year. But if someone breaks his jaw again, then we'll know for sure. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sure a teammate broke his jaw last year. But if someone breaks his jaw again, then we'll know for sure. 

Don't forget, not only did his jaw get broken, but the first time the Jets squared off against the guy who did it, they went up and hugged him. What else needs to be said? 

Smith is not getting cut unless they sign a replacement with regular season experience - which they're not doing because that will cost them way more than 1.6 M.

You don't go into next season with an injury prone QB who refuses to slide and 2 neophytes with zero experience backing him up.  It's an incredibly stupid strategy for an otherwise decent team.  It's actually the kind of thing that could severely tarnish Macs currently golden reputation.

Sorry guys.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Smith is not getting cut unless they sign a replacement with regular season experience - which they're not doing because that will cost them way more than 1.6 M.

You don't go into next season with an injury prone QB who refuses to slide and 2 neophytes with zero experience backing him up.  It's an incredibly stupid strategy for an otherwise decent team.  It's actually the kind of thing that could severely tarnish Macs currently golden reputation.

Sorry guys.

If Fitz is back and gets hurt, the season is over. Might as well see what Petty or new draft pick has if that's the case. We already know what Geno is. And it's not the goods. 

Archived