Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How New York Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick blew his one shot at greatness

-- Ryan Fitzpatrick was hurting like never before, because this was going to be his season, his one and only. It was written all over him in a painful postgame interview, an NFL ritual that was especially cruel to the quarterback of the New York Jets, a nice guy who just blew his big chance in a spectacular way.At 33, Fitzpatrick had never been to the playoffs. He arrived in New York with a tomato-can record of 33-55-1, and with a résumé that said he started games in eight different seasons without recording a winning record in a single one of them. Fitzpatrick wasn't just a journeyman. He was a losing journeyman, and a quarterback who inspired no more faith than the likes of Geno Smith.But out of the clear blue, the field started tilting toward the old seventh-round pick out of Harvard in strange and surprising ways.

Fitzpatrick got the starting Jets job because a teammate, IK Enemkpali, broke Smith's jaw over an unpaid debt, and by the time the quarterback showed up at Ralph Wilson Stadium with a 10-5 record, a five-game winning streak and a golden win-and-get-in opportunity, he was playing in the same ballpark with Tom Brady, Cam Newton and the rest of the NFL elite.And that's why he bled so profusely in public Sunday when summoned to the microphone. Deep down, Fitzpatrick knows he's not Brady or Newton or Russell Wilson. He knows that average Joes like him usually don't get chances like this more than once, if they get one at all. Consider how everything was playing right into his hands. The Jets had remained relatively healthy; Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker were playing out of their minds; and the AFC side of the Super Bowl bracket had opened up for a long-shot team to make a serious run. The Jets were starting to resemble their soulmates, the Mets, and Fitzpatrick was proving to be one of the league's best closers.

So with the Jets down two scores, nobody was shocked when Fitzpatrick made a huge play late in the third quarter, stepping up into the pocket to escape turbulence and finding Decker for a 21-yard touchdown. Nobody was shocked on the next series when Fitzpatrick drove the Jets to the Buffalo 14 with more than 11 minutes to go and appeared ready to improve his 1-7 career record against Rex Ryan defenses at the best possible time.Everybody was shocked on second down when Fitzpatrick ignored the fact his team was already in range for a go-ahead field goal and fired a pass into the end zone and right into the arms of Buffalo's Leodis McKelvin, the quarterback's first red zone interception of the year.

"I wish I had that one back," Fitzpatrick would say.

Suddenly it felt like the skies darkened and the game changed. Fitzpatrick of the Jets had morphed into Fitzpatrick of the Bills, the quarterback who was 20-33 in his four seasons in Buffalo. "We know Fitz," McKelvin would tell the Buffalo News. "Fitz is going to be Fitz."Fitz wasn't going to shake this one off, not even close. The Jets had watched tape of Washington scoring on the same route pattern against Buffalo and figured Decker's skinny post in the end zone would produce the same result.

"But they adjusted," Marshall said. "Leodis McKelvin jumped it. We didn't even have a chance."

The Jets had chances after that. Buffalo was holding a 22-17 lead in the final minutes when Fitzpatrick started a drive with a couple of promising plays before he took a hit from Marcell Dareus on delivery, sending the ball toward the Bills' Manny Lawson and another interception with 1:51 left. The Jets got the ball again with 44 seconds to go, and two plays later Fitzpatrick made one last desperate stab at a magical finish.He heaved the ball deep down the right sideline to a streaking Kenbrell Thompkins, who had the pass in his hands -- and an apparent clear path to the end zone -- before a lunging Mario Butler knocked it out. On the next snap Fitzpatrick threw one up for grabs in the middle of the field and found yet another Bills defender for his third interception in his final three possessions of the season.

When it was over, Marshall, who was brilliant all day, credited Fitzpatrick for playing "an amazing game" and for leading the Jets out of their midseason slump. Marshall appeared to be less charitable with Thompkins when he said, "At the end, we had our chances. We didn't come through in our room. We've got to take advantage of that moment. That's when you get a chance to make your name, and we just didn't do that."For his part, Fitzpatrick left no doubt as to where he was assigning the blame: to the man in his own mirror. The Jets somehow came out flat, shanked a punt, committed dumb penalties and watched as young Sammy Watkins made the great Darrelle Revis look about 50 years old. But to the quarterback none of that mattered.

"All you can ask for in this game is an opportunity," Fitzpatrick said, and his Jets had more than one of those in the end. "We weren't able to pull it off," Fitzpatrick added, "and just my heart hurts so bad right now for all those guys in the locker room. ... It's the hardest and most difficult end to a season I've ever had, just in terms of how I feel right now and how painful of a loss that was."It wasn't supposed to end like this, not after the Jets beat the Patriots on that coin toss gone awry. The Jets were supposed to weather the gusting winds at the Ralph and proudly carry an 11-5 record into the postseason one year after Ryan finally got himself fired with a 4-12.But Ryan did what he does best -- keep the Jets out of the playoffs -- by persuading his 7-8 Bills to play as if a .500 record really mattered. Buffalo held Fitzpatrick to 181 passing yards on 16 completions in 37 attempts, and preserved his standing with Archie Manning as the NFL quarterbacks with the most career starts never to reach the playoffs.

In the locker room afterward, Fitzpatrick lowered his head as he slowly buttoned his blue dress shirt before his backup and neighbor, Geno Smith, leaned in with a few words to lighten the mood. Soon enough Fitzpatrick was out in the stadium tunnel, dropping his travel bag and heading back toward the field and the late-afternoon snow flurries to meet with his family.The Jets likely will re-sign him, but that doesn't mean he'll pick up in September where he left off against New England in Week 16. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't Tom Brady. Guys like him get only so many chances to do what he failed to do Sunday.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14496142/new-york-jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-blew-one-shot-greatness-nfl

It was an INT in their endzone, down 2 points, with plenty of time left.

Jets D makes a stop, one stop thye couldn't seemingly make all day long, and we're fine, no harm done.  Our Defense was incappable, especially Revis (or the Coacging decision to protect Revis by keeping him out of man coverage, makes little difference which tbqh).

Second INT happens to every QB when their O-line completely breaks down and they get hit mid-throw.

Third one, with what, 20 second left and 80+ yards to go?  Garbage/desperation.  Sadly, that just gives ammo to the guys who preferred to be right, than see the Jets win.

Bad game by Fitz, in bad weather, with no running game of any kind, and at least 5 big, game-changing, hit their hands, drops.

In a year we set franchise all-time records for Offense.

And we STILL have folks here who want to go back to Geno Smith.  Or get anyone else with no idea who that anyone would actually be.  SMH.

Should Fitz be upgraded?  Absolutely, if possible.  Is Geno Smith or "anyone" an upgrade?  Lol, no.

Resign Fitz for cheap (more possible now) and he goes into 2016 the starter-in-place while Petty and whomever we acquire to replace Geno "Worst QB in the NFL in his Tenure" Smith.  if we're able to snag a great franchise QB, great!  

If not, we still have a productive, professional, veteran QB to lead till Petty, or some other young QB, can show us they are ready.

We're still in the best spot we've been since early Pennington at the QB position, no matter what the Geno Smith obsessives think.

Jets D makes a stop, one stop thye couldn't seemingly make all day long, and we're fine, no harm done.  Our Defense was incappable, especially Revis (or the Coacging decision to protect Revis by keeping him out of man coverage, makes little difference which tbqh).

Second INT happens to every QB when their O-line completely breaks down and they get hit mid-throw.

Third one, with what, 20 second left and 80+ yards to go?  Garbage/desperation.  Sadly, that just gives ammo to the guys who preferred to be right, than see the Jets win.

Bad game by Fitz, in bad weather, with no running game of any kind, and at least 5 big, game-changing, hit their hands, drops.

And we STILL have folks here who want to go back to Geno Smith.  Or get anyone else with no idea who that anyone would actually be.  SMH.

Should Fitz be upgraded?  Absolutely, if possible.  Is Geno Smith or "anyone" an upgrade?  Lol, no.

Resign Fitz for cheap (more possible now) and he goes into 2016 the starter-in-place while Petty and whomever we acquire to replace Geno "Worst QB in the NFL in his Tenure" Smith.  if we're able to snag a great franchise QB, great!  

If not, we still have a productive, professional, veteran QB to lead till Petty, or some other young QB, can show us they are ready.

We're still in the best spot we've been since early Pennington at the QB position, no matter what the Geno Smith obsessives think.

Geno's gone and not an option.

Fitz had a great year and was a revelation.  Especially after what we've endured the last 6 years.  

That said Fitz was awful yesterday.  It's not just the INTs.  He couldn't extend drives or convert 3rd downs.  Happens though and in some ways hurts more because he didn't do these things all year. 

His bad game doesn't change how great he played for us.  

Except we out rushed the Bills on 17 carries for 122 yds they had 43 carries for 113.. Ivory said post game he could have run more but it wasn't in the game plan..

Geno's gone and not an option.

Fitz had a great year and was a revelation.  Especially after what we've endured the last 6 years.  

That said Fitz was awful yesterday.  It's not just the INTs.  He couldn't extend drives or convert 3rd downs.  Happens though and in some ways hurts more because he didn't do these things all year. 

His bad game doesn't change how great he played for us.  

Fitz blew it with the first INT.  You cannot make that throw.  This is what we used to kill Geno/Sanchez for.  Fitz is smart and has good pocket presence.  The INT sucked (and his game wasn't great), but Geno would do that every 3rd game.  Geno would also take the 20 yard sack when you most couldn't handle it.

Is Fitz a top franchise QB, no.  But the Jets proved that they could win with him.  You hold onto him until you find someone better (or Petty steps up) and then you hold him as a backup to come in and win or mentor the QB.

He had a couple bad games this year and it killed our chances in the Post season, but I honestly think we don't have a chance at the post season with Geno.

Let's also be fair, WRs dropping balls and stepping out of bounds didn't help much either.

The Jets are a good team with Fitz; they just aren't good enough to win games against decent/good teams when they play off.

If Fitz has a comfort zone with these receivers esp Marshall then you'd have to think year 2 should be productive. And yesterday despite a poor game on his part if his receivers had made plays we would have won. That's what you see on winning teams: their players make great plays, big time catches even if a ball is over their head, etc. If Thompkins had made that catch at the end of the game we'd be talking about next week's playoffs not next season. It was that close for the Jets. But I'm sure Fitz will wait a while to see what offers he gets. I doubt the Jets will make him more than a 2 year offer, maybe for 20 mil, 10 guaranteed. But that's on the lower side, he could get 15 guaranteed..  

Double Watkins and you win in a walk.  How could they not see that early on?  You get more possessions and you score against their awful secondary.

In my opinion you're not going to upgrade at Qb. Unless a guy like Bradford is available and I'd stick with Fitz over him. Because he had a year with these players and in this system. And he will be cheaper than a guy like him and maybe better. I'd concentrate in areas like the O-line, linebackers and the secondary. Not sure what their plans for tight end are, you'd think maybe we'll draft one but Jace is coming back and he's a good receiver. 

Fitz blew it with the first INT.  You cannot make that throw.  This is what we used to kill Geno/Sanchez for.  Fitz is smart and has good pocket presence.  The INT sucked (and his game wasn't great), but Geno would do that every 3rd game.  Geno would also take the 20 yard sack when you most couldn't handle it.

Is Fitz a top franchise QB, no.  But the Jets proved that they could win with him.  You hold onto him until you find someone better (or Petty steps up) and then you hold him as a backup to come in and win or mentor the QB.

He had a couple bad games this year and it killed our chances in the Post season, but I honestly think we don't have a chance at the post season with Geno.

Let's also be fair, WRs dropping balls and stepping out of bounds didn't help much either.

The Jets are a good team with Fitz; they just aren't good enough to win games against decent/good teams when they play off.

I was talking about one game.  Not the season, I said he was great for us this year.  Also why does everyone have to bring up Geno and tell us what their crystal ball says he would have done?  I said he's gone, said Fitz was great all year.  He didn't play yesterday, didn't deserve to play yesterday.  We were in a position to finish with 11 wins and a playoff spot because of Fitz

So did Mo's if they sign him at all..

Depends on the break.  Didn't look like a compound fracture to me.  Don't see why it would DL effect his abilities moving forward.  He was easily our best DL, he's going to be here next season I would think

I was talking about one game.  Not the season, I said he was great for us this year.  Also why does everyone have to bring up Geno and tell us what their crystal ball says he would have done?  I said he's gone, said Fitz was great all year.  He didn't play yesterday, didn't deserve to play yesterday.  We were in a position to finish with 11 wins and a playoff spot because of Fitz

I was agreeing with you, but not all of the blame goes to Fitz.  So, I don't think his day stunk all day as much as that play was just horrible.  Last INT was desperation, middle when he was hit.

I brought up Geno as this is a re-up topic and we need to decide based on the current situation.  So, the choices are Fitz, Petty, Geno, whomever they can get.  Petty was never really in play this year.  So that comment is more about the topic then your post.

I was agreeing with you, but not all of the blame goes to Fitz.  So, I don't think his day stunk all day as much as that play was just horrible.  Last INT was desperation, middle when he was hit.

I brought up Geno as this is a re-up topic and we need to decide based on the current situation.  So, the choices are Fitz, Petty, Geno, whomever they can get.  Petty was never really in play this year.  So that comment is more about the topic then your post.

i don't think Geno's an option.  Don't think they ever play him, would go to Petty first if Fitz were injured and he's really nothing more than a distraction if he's still here and since he's never going to play is a waste of a roster spot.  I would think they're going to look for a QB that they would actually play if needed 

The Jets didn't even make the Playoffs, so every single position on this football team should be up for improvement .  Yes, even the QB position.

This is true every single year, regardless of record, regardless of playoffs.  Teams should always be trying to improve, anywhere and everywhere they can.

With that said, the Front Office still needs to prioritize.

QB is always a top priority......but its also the costliest position in football, and the hardest to fill, and the hardest to accurately project (for young talent).

If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Brett Favre in their prime were available this offseason, sure, we go at them hard as can and see you Fitz, thanks for the 31 TD passes.

But if whats available is Glennon, Sanchez, Geno Smith and some other castoffs or QB Draft Picks in a weak draft class.....it's no sure thing.

Which is why a team without a Franchise QB should draft a QB every single year till they find one they believe IS that franchise guy.

Not saying First Round, that's unrealistic and unproductive.  But if a guy is there where you pick, and you believe he is a Franchise QB, you take him, even if you have Petty.

So I fully expect the Jets to look hard at this QB Draft Class, and to select a QB somewhere, likely in the middle-rounds.  

But beyond that, we have a huge problem at RB with durability, we have an O-line to repair, a weakness at Linebacker to look at, and some serious issues at CB despite our massive investment there.

And don't get me started on Punters and #3 WR's......

This is true every single year, regardless of record, regardless of playoffs.  Teams should always be trying to improve, anywhere and everywhere they can.

With that said, the Front Office still needs to prioritize.

QB is always a top priority......but its also the costliest position in football, and the hardest to fill, and the hardest to accurately project (for young talent).

If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Brett Favre in their prime were available this offseason, sure, we go at them hard as can and see you Fitz, thanks for the 31 TD passes.

But if whats available is Glennon, Sanchez, Geno Smith and some other castoffs or QB Draft Picks in a weak draft class.....it's no sure thing.

Which is why a team without a Franchise QB should draft a QB every single year till they find one they believe IS that franchise guy.

Not saying First Round, that's unrealistic and unproductive.  But if a guy is there where you pick, and you believe he is a Franchise QB, you take him, even if you have Petty.

So I fully expect the Jets to look hard at this QB Draft Class, and to select a QB somewhere, likely in the middle-rounds.  

But beyond that, we have a huge problem at RB with durability, we have an O-line to repair, a weakness at Linebacker to look at, and some serious issues at CB despite our massive investment there.

And don't get me started on Punters and #3 WR's......

totally agree with the Ron Wolf draft a QB every year, somewhere philosophy.  Even if you have one.  He used a 1 on Rodgers when he had Favre and sat him for 4 years.  He drafted others parleying those picks into better picks.  Given that Geno will be gone and we really have no idea what Petty may become we need to draft a QB

2 things I don't understand .    Why do Jet fans automatically think that Geno Smith will be released ?

Where is it carved in stone that should Fitzpatrick return, he will not have to earn the starting QB Job  ?

It would be foolish to think that a returning Fitzpatrick would not be the starting QB as Geno Smith was when the Camps opened  last year .  Why on Earth would an Organization watch a QB be outplayed  in camp and preseason (should it happen) and name that QB the opening day starter . 

As of right now, who else would be the starter if Fitzpatrick came back ?

Archived