Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Sorry to disappoint you as a moderator. 

I like the guy, but I need to see a lot more before I start talking about him being the starter for another year or two. People are a little giddy from a great three game stretch against weak competition. Let's see how he finishes the season, particularly against two division rivals he's already lost to, before handing him the reins next year. That's all I'm saying. I want him back, definitely, but maybe as a back-up/stop-gap rather than the solution. 

Geno sucks for 31 games: but maybe he is actually good we can't give up!!

Fitz setting franchise records: hmmm I am just not sure I prefer Geno I think.

Thankfully the pros have the confidence to make decisions without years of ridiculous handwringing.

fitz is back and starting. Geno is headed to backup Romo or something. Checkmate, Harvard.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to disappoint you as a moderator. 

I like the guy, but I need to see a lot more before I start talking about him being the starter for another year or two. People are a little giddy from a great three game stretch against weak competition. Let's see how he finishes the season, particularly against two division rivals he's already lost to, before handing him the reins next year. That's all I'm saying. I want him back, definitely, but maybe as a back-up/stop-gap rather than the solution. 

Wait a minute.  I thought disappointment, man love and inconsistent censorship are the triad of JN moderating? 

The more I read this subject over and over again I think you hit the nail on the head.  The last three games will determine Fitz future as a Jet.  He performs well he will get a nice raise from this year and 2-3 year deal for him to transition from savior to back up.  If he or the team crumbles under the last two AFC east divisional game we may see the Jets coming out swinging in free agency for another option.  Don't see the team sitting pat with him if the latter happens.  They showed us last year they are going to bring the best talent they can in.  We may not agree with the choices they make but the effort is evident. 

Geno sucks for 31 games: but maybe he is actually good we can't give up!!

Fitz setting franchise records: hmmm I am just not sure I prefer Geno I think.

Thankfully the pros have the confidence to make decisions without years of ridiculous handwringing.

fitz is back and starting. Geno is headed to backup Romo or something. Checkmate, Harvard.

Lol. Bring up Geno all you want, I didn't. My comments had absolutely nothing to do with Geno, and everything to do with Fitz alone. But I guess your argument to resign Fitz right now, after what is probably the best three game run of his career, is so weak that you can't make it effectively without going to the old reliable straw man. 

Fitz has had a great three game stretch. Before that, he had a terrible two game stretch. Before the great three games (against decidedly weak defenses), statistically, he was putting up numbers exactly in line with his career numbers. Numbers that have landed him today on the sixth team of that career. The down games followed by the up games also follow a career long pattern of inconsistency - something Coach Bowles brought up even while praising Fitz. 

Like Coach Bowles, I want the guy the back. And said so. But how Fitz finishes the season will determine what else the Jets do at QB, and how much/long they're going to resign Fitz for. Yes, thankfully the pros are smart enough not to freak out and throw money at Fitz now out of fear of some future, unlikely bidding war. They're gonna wait and see how he performs in his rematches against their two top division rivals first. 

Lol. Bring up Geno all you want, I didn't. My comments had absolutely nothing to do with Geno, and everything to do with Fitz alone. But I guess your argument to resign Fitz right now, after what is probably the best three game run of his career, is so weak that you can't make it effectively without going to the old reliable straw man. 

Fitz has had a great three game stretch. Before that, he had a terrible two game stretch. Before the great three games (against decidedly weak defenses), statistically, he was putting up numbers exactly in line with his career numbers. Numbers that have landed him today on the sixth team of that career. The down games followed by the up games also follow a career long pattern of inconsistency - something Coach Bowles brought up even while praising Fitz. 

Like Coach Bowles, I want the guy the back. And said so. But how Fitz finishes the season will determine what else the Jets do at QB, and how much/long they're going to resign Fitz for. Yes, thankfully the pros are smart enough not to freak out and throw money at Fitz now out of fear of some future, unlikely bidding war. They're gonna wait and see how he performs in his rematches against their two top division rivals first. 

down goes frasier down goes frasier

I like Bowles and Mac...thrilled Bowles has said publicly that he wants Fitz to come back, all while taking a pass on a nice little opportunity to give Geno a start earlier this season.  Something they clearly had no interest in doing.  That bodes well.

The down games followed by the up games also follow a career long pattern of inconsistency - something Coach Bowles brought up even while praising Fitz. 

Only thing missing is a stated yearning to witness the unleashing of Geno's potential with a retooled weaponry.  

Aside from a markedly different win-loss record (ahem!) the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's is consistency and performance at the QB position. It's amazing to me that this far along into a winning season you're still "wait and see" on Fitz. 

Only thing missing is a stated yearning to witness the unleashing of Geno's potential with a retooled weaponry.  

Aside from a markedly different win-loss record (ahem!) the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's is consistency and performance at the QB position. It's amazing to me that this far along into a winning season you're still "wait and see" on Fitz. 

Lol. Again, I could give a rat's ass about Geno Smith at this point. I just want a franchise QB going forward and, no, I'm not convinced that it's Ryan Fitzpatrick. But you know what's funny and ironic, being that Fitzpatrick's most ardent fans also happen to be Geno's most vehement detractors? If the Jets feel about Fitzpatrick as you do, and decide to hand him a big contract and the starting job next year, that's the likeliest (and maybe only) way Geno is on the Jets next season. They'll just keep bringing along Petty slowly, and keep Geno on as the experienced, inexpensive backup who knows the system. That'd be a good laugh. 

Evolution of Jets' offense: It belongs to Ryan Fitzpatrick, not Chris Ivory

-- The New York Jets have changed before our eyes. What we're seeing now on offense is different than what unfolded in September and October. Chris Ivory isn't the focal point anymore; it has shifted to Ryan Fitzpatrick.The Jets have gradually altered their approach, becoming quarterback-reliant -- meaning they are like most teams in the NFL. The change was born out of necessity and because they came to trust Fitzpatrick for being more than a game-manager.During the 4-1 start, the Jets rode the Ivory train with great success. At the time, the narrative was they needed Ivory’s production to win and that Fitzpatrick was a complementary piece, the kind of quarterback you didn’t want throwing more than 30 times a game.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said at the start of the season that he wanted to operate a 50-50 offense and, in the first six games, the Jets’ pass-run ratio was 53-47 -- pretty close to perfect balance. Since then, the pass-run gap has grown wider. In the past seven games, it’s 61-39.

Why the change ?

Let's ponder a few reasons as the Jets (8-5) prepare to face the Dallas Cowboys (4-9) on Saturday night at AT&T Stadium.

Early on, the Jets leaned on Ivory because Fitzpatrick still was building chemistry with his receivers, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. He was playing catch-up because he wasn’t supposed to be the opening-day starter. Geno Smith was being prepped for that role, but we all know what happened on that fateful day in August.Ivory was invaluable during the transition period, but his production waned. That’s what happens in the NFL. Opponents adjust; they figure out how to stop your best guy. You have to make a counter move or else you fade away.

The Jets struggled with that concept for a few weeks, nearly ruining their season, but they found a new comfort zone. It’s all about Fitzpatrick now. It’s all about the passing game. Fitzpatrick, Marshall and Decker are putting up numbers the likes of which we haven’t seen in nearly two decades. They never threw the ball this well under Rex Ryan, that’s for sure.They no longer need 100 yards from Ivory to win. He doesn’t have to be a monster, only a solid contributor. In some games, the threat of him in the backfield is enough to give the offense a semblance of balance, keeping opponents honest.

"He’s giving us what we need in our offense right now,' Gailey said. "He’s somebody they can’t say, 'OK, we just have to defend the pass.' That’s the best thing right now. They know he’ll go out and rush for 100 on them in a heartbeat."That’s a telling quote from Gailey. Basically, he’s acknowledging Ivory no longer is Plan A. And that’s OK. They haven’t lost faith in him; they have simply built confidence in Fitzpatrick & Co.The good teams learn to evolve over the course of a season. Heck, the New England Patriots do it on a week-to-week basis, depending on injuries and the opponent.What the Jets can’t do is marginalize Ivory. That would be a mistake, considering the time of year. They will play cold-weather games in Week 16 and Week 17 against the Patriots and Buffalo Bills, respectively, and they will need a strong running game to thrive in the elements -- assuming there are elements. With global warming, who knows?

The point is, the Jets have changed. More than ever, this is Fitzpatrick’s team.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57198/evolution-of-jets-offense-it-belongs-to-ryan-fitzpatrick-not-chris-ivory

I wait till the end of the season which seems to be what Mac is aiming for. The last time Fitz signed a big contract was with the Bills during the season and after that his play went down dramatically. See how he finished the year and then give him a two year contract for mid-starting Qb money. 

you are straw man shaming incorrectly. You need to at least have some connection between what is being said and what is being accused of. You on other hand went from worshiping geno, to slamming fitz. Two sides of same coin.

you are straw man shaming incorrectly. You need to at least have some connection between what is being said and what is being accused of. You on other hand went from worshiping geno, to slamming fitz. Two sides of same coin.

Again, nothing but lols. 

You brought up Geno to make some sort of argument when I never mentioned him. When you're down, you go to the tangent. I haven't seen you repeat your call to resign Fitzpatrick before the end the season in a couple days. Are you backing off that bad idea?

Two other things: 

1.) I never worshipped Geno. Nothing even close. I supported the new regime's plan to start him this season to see what they had in him, and was over that when I saw his team mates (non) response to him getting his jaw broken. 

2.) I never slammed Fitz. I've said repeatedly -in this thread- that I want to see the Jets bring him back. I just don't want to see them hand him the starting job next year. And I don't want them negotiating against themselves before the season is over on that new contract. 

In other words, you're full of sh!t. 

This front office seems sensible - they won't throw money at him like Buffalo did in 2011.

So would you rather extend Fitz cheap for another year or break the bank for a Stafford or Cutler in free agency?

Again, nothing but lols. 

You brought up Geno to make some sort of argument when I never mentioned him. When you're down, you go to the tangent. I haven't seen you repeat your call to resign Fitzpatrick before the end the season in a couple days. Are you backing off that bad idea?

Two other things: 

1.) I never worshipped Geno. Nothing even close. I supported the new regime's plan to start him this season to see what they had in him, and was over that when I saw his team mates (non) response to him getting his jaw broken. 

2.) I never slammed Fitz. I've said repeatedly -in this thread- that I want to see the Jets bring him back. I just don't want to see them hand him the starting job next year. And I don't want them negotiating against themselves before the season is over on that new contract. 

In other words, you're full of sh!t. 

two sides. Same coin. Are you upset by today's win? Geno more likely to be a cowboy next year than a jet.

nice personal attack by a mod. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

I don't care how average, mediocre, or bad Fitz is.

I'd run through a wall for that guy.

I am fully won over.  I am a Fitz fanboy.

We make the playoffs, a Fitz jersey will soon be mine.

And yes, of course we re-up him.  

This is the best I've felt about our QB, no matter the rest plays out, since the early Pennington Era when Penny still held so much next-Montana type promise.

I don't care how average, mediocre, or bad Fitz is.

I'd run through a wall for that guy.

I am fully won over.  I am a Fitz fanboy.

We make the playoffs, a Fitz jersey will soon be mine.

And yes, of course we re-up him.  

This is the best I've felt about our QB, no matter the rest plays out, since the early Pennington Era when Penny still held so much next-Montana type promise.

Completely agree brother! 

This Fitzmagic is gonna bring us together and unite us all for good! 

Love the guy. I just want him and Marshall to will their way to the playoffs for the first time ever. It's in the air. The story book mojo! 

I got a bottle of scotch for you my friend! 

two sides. Same coin. Are you upset by today's win? Geno more likely to be a cowboy next year than a jet.

nice personal attack by a mod. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

It's not a personal attack, although I'm fully aware that no one on the site is as sensitive as you are, it's an observation. I'm at a disadvantage whenever I get into it with you because I'm honest, and you make stuff up. Strawmen or bullsh!t, you go with the label you prefer. 

Love the win, I'm a fan of Fitzpatrick in his finest year as a pro. I've said that many times, but you need to ignore it to keep arguing, apparently. If they're sold on him as the starter next year, don't be surprised to see Geno back him up. This year, they went into the season with Geno penciled in to start, and Fitz as a viable alternative if he floundered. Next year, they could do the opposite. I prefer they draft a QB high if they're not sold on the idea of Petty. But if they're all in with Fitz, they'd probably use such a pick to help build the team around him rather than replace him - leading to Geno as the #2. Enjoy! 

the short answer is yes, fitz needs to be on the team. we also need to look for our franchise qb of the future. fitz is a decent player. he's not elite, which is what we should be striving for at qb, but he's been pretty good. we need to upgrade the o-line....and dare i say it....running back. how nice would it be to have todd gurley right now?

the short answer is yes, fitz needs to be on the team. we also need to look for our franchise qb of the future. fitz is a decent player. he's not elite, which is what we should be striving for at qb, but he's been pretty good. we need to upgrade the o-line....and dare i say it....running back. how nice would it be to have todd gurley right now?

So since he's a Jet and has never played with any talent his entire career he can't be elite ? He's on pace for 30 + TD's, can run the ball very effectively in clutch situations, and has now proven capable of bring this team back from behind in the 4th quarter all with out a TE or a receiving back for 80% of the season and a very inconsistent running game. So what exactly is an elite QB ?

It's not a personal attack, although I'm fully aware that no one on the site is as sensitive as you are, it's an observation. I'm at a disadvantage whenever I get into it with you because I'm honest, and you make stuff up. Strawmen or bullsh!t, you go with the label you prefer. 

Love the win, I'm a fan of Fitzpatrick in his finest year as a pro. I've said that many times, but you need to ignore it to keep arguing, apparently. If they're sold on him as the starter next year, don't be surprised to see Geno back him up. This year, they went into the season with Geno penciled in to start, and Fitz as a viable alternative if he floundered. Next year, they could do the opposite. I prefer they draft a QB high if they're not sold on the idea of Petty. But if they're all in with Fitz, they'd probably use such a pick to help build the team around him rather than replace him - leading to Geno as the #2. Enjoy! 

your strong belief in Geno coming back next season is surprising.

can you recognize that the negative history he has with the team & back and forth between who was going to start at the beginning of the season could lead to divisiveness with team unity ?

as such can You see the value in bringing a backup who has a similar pedigree and cost from somewhere else as a smarter option to be the JeTs backup in 2016?

So since he's a Jet and has never played with any talent his entire career he can't be elite ? He's on pace for 30 + TD's, can run the ball very effectively in clutch situations, and has now proven capable of bring this team back from behind in the 4th quarter all with out a TE or a receiving back for 80% of the season and a very inconsistent running game. So what exactly is an elite QB ?

i'm not going to bother getting into an argument about this. if you think fitzpatrick is an elite qb then thats cool. fitzpatrick has been pretty good this year for the most part. 

but....things that could make an elite quarterback:

can consistently quarterback his team to  around 11+ wins and have his team competing yearly for a division title

if you remove him from the team you would have a hard time finding another quarterback that could lead the same team to more than 6 wins (see colts the year they lost manning and drafted luck for an example)

should pretty much almost always be considered the teams mvp

can consistently win on the road and against the "elite" teams

can put a team on his back and bring them back from 2 scores or more down 

completes passes often enough that just make you shake your head and wonder how the **** he did it

these would be some traits that would possibly qualify a qb as elite. fitzpatrick has been good, but he is not elite. hell he never even won more than 6 games until this year

i'm not going to bother getting into an argument about this. if you think fitzpatrick is an elite qb then thats cool. fitzpatrick has been pretty good this year for the most part. 

but....things that could make an elite quarterback:

can consistently quarterback his team to  around 11+ wins and have his team competing yearly for a division title

if you remove him from the team you would have a hard time finding another quarterback that could lead the same team to more than 6 wins (see colts the year they lost manning and drafted luck for an example)

should pretty much almost always be considered the teams mvp

can consistently win on the road and against the "elite" teams

can put a team on his back and bring them back from 2 scores or more down 

completes passes often enough that just make you shake your head and wonder how the **** he did it

these would be some traits that would possibly qualify a qb as elite. fitzpatrick has been good, but he is not elite. hell he never even won more than 6 games until this year

I would argue that the pass to Thompkins was complete luck. Fitz will never admit it though

can you recognize that the negative history he has with the team & back and forth between who was going to start at the beginning of the season could lead to divisiveness with team unity ?

as such can You see the value in bringing a backup who has a similar pedigree and cost from somewhere else as a smarter option to be the JeTs backup in 2016?

It's not a strong belief, it just makes sense. If They're content with Fitzpatrick as the starter and Petty as the project, they may as well remain content in Geno. He knows the system, has starting experience, and will only make about $1.1M next year. Be hard to find something comparable at a comparable cost. I really think they only way they replace Geno is if they draft a QB relatively high next year. 

If they were done with him, they could've replaced him when they had QBs in when his jaw was broken, but they chose not to. And he hasn't been a distraction or divisive all year. 

It's not a strong belief, it just makes sense. If They're content with Fitzpatrick as the starter and Petty as the project, they may as well remain content in Geno. He knows the system, has starting experience, and will only make about $1.1M next year. Be hard to find something comparable at a comparable cost. I really think they only way they replace Geno is if they draft a QB relatively high next year. 

If they were done with him, they could've replaced him when they had QBs in when his jaw was broken, but they chose not to. And he hasn't been a distraction or divisive all year. 

What he said. Not a Geno fan but risk reward for the cap cost is not debatable 

What he said. Not a Geno fan but risk reward for the cap cost is not debatable 

I think Geno will ask for his release and the jets will accomdate him either thru release or trade. Geno will start complaining after season. It will be Fitz petty and a draft pick

I think this year was a feeling out process at QB as well as many other positions... So at the start of the season they were still in evaluation mode ... But by now they are pretty set in understanding who & what they have.

will agree to disagree, thx for the reply 

They will resign Fitzpatrick, draft a QB prospect in April, sign an inexpensive vet QB and show Smith the way to the exit.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I agree. I would sign a second level backup like Weeden or even Cassel and kick Geno out the door. I like Fitzy a lot, he's got brass ball$ and he is not afraid to run for yardage unlike the supposedly "athletic" Geno who looks like a deer in the headlights against pass rush.

"You are full of sh!t" is not a personal attack? must be nice to make up the rules as you go along.

logo.gif

hope is not a strategy to lead a football team

Archived