Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Interesting.

I just saw this:

I mentioned yesterday... Hoyer was the guy were were going after last off-season, we lost out to Houston, and THEN traded to get Fitz. I wonder if the Broncos end up with Fitz, does Hoyer come back into play for the Jets?

Geno is better than Hoyer.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jgb said:

If that's true that's hugely insulting

Bit if true, it says ALOT.

Trust in Mac and Bowles.  if they say they want Fitz back, but take action to ensure Fitz is not back, actions speak louder than words, and such is life.

We move on with Geno & Petty & ?????

Simple as that.

12 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

They kind of did laugh him out of the room.

Chase Daniel and his career total of 464 yards received a 3yr-21 million dollar contract.

8-10 million per for a good to very good (on some days) QB is kind of insulting.  Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler received an average of 17.7 and 18 million respectively. 

15 million is fair.  I bet if the Broncocs offer Fitz the Osweiler deal, he would take it and it would allow them to groom a replacement.

I thought I read that Denver DID offer him $15 mill a year. Anyone else see that?

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If that's true that's hugely insulting

The Chase Daniel deal can be worth as much as 36 million over 3 years. We don't know what kind of incentives the Fitz offer has bundled into it. 

My bet is that Fitz wants more guaranteed money, as he should in his position, but the Jets probably designed the contract to protect themselves in case Petty or Geno simply deserve to play more than Fitz this year and/or more specifically next year.

You don't want to give Fitz guaranteed starter money for future seasons, when your plan all along is to have a new, young QB ready to take the reigns.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

To whom? 7 mil a year for 3 years seems solid to me.

It's insulting even for a first offer and presumptive starter. by far that would be the lowest salary for a starter in the league and lower than some backups.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Bit if true, it says ALOT.

Trust in Mac and Bowles.  if they say they want Fitz back, but take action to ensure Fitz is not back, actions speak louder than words, and such is life.

We move on with Geno & Petty & ?????

Simple as that.

No doubt it does say a lot. Petty better be liquid gold behind closed doors if they are holding firm on this low ball.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No news, is good news.

Listen, nobody here wants Fitz on a big contract. Not his most staunch supporters, nobody.

Them being "far apart" is music to my ears. 

If Elways finds a QB elsewhere, then Fitz should be ours. No other takers. My fear is that IF Fitz ends up in Denver, he's got a legit shot at winning a SB. (I should add that if we made it into the tournament, I fully believe we could have beaten any AFC team in the playoffs this year. So, he could have won one last year too, hypothetically, and would make us a low-level contender this year if he can replicate his play.)

I don't think so. There are some saying this is the going rate for a QB like him, because they think he's a good starter better than most in the league, and we should pay it.

If you want to mince words, I suppose nobody "wants" a Fitz contract to be a big one, in the same way they want any contract to be more cap friendly to the Jets. But I think there are as many "just pay the man" fans who are on board with this price tag as there are "he's not worth bringing back at a nickel above $5M" fans.

Agree with the rest of your post, though. Except maybe that I don't "fear" Fitz ends up in Denver. If that's his price tag, I'm fine with it. We're not in the same situation as Denver.

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Based on what? Saying Geno is better than anyone is a stretch

They are the same... they'll both suck, but will flash just enough to keep the fans salivating and bickering for more. Purgatory in the NFL = sh*tty players that fool you with a few highlight reel plays here and there.

I'm probably late on this but did you guys see this:

J.J.
‏@JJoyJets
On ESPN, Ed Werder just said the Jets are offering less to Fitz than what Chase Daniel got (3 years 21 million with incentives)

Macc really knows his values, I thought he would have come in higher than this, glad he is sticking to his guns.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's insulting even for a first offer and presumptive starter. by far that would be the lowest salary for a starter in the league and lower than some backups.

No doubt it does say a lot. Petty better be liquid gold behind closed doors if they are holding firm on this low ball.

That's the market's fault, not mine

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think so. There are some saying this is the going rate for a QB like him, because they think he's a good starter better than most in the league, and we should pay it.

If you want to mince words, I suppose nobody "wants" a Fitz contract to be a big one, in the same way they want any contract to be more cap friendly to the Jets. But I think there are as many "just pay the man" fans who are on board with this price tag as there are "he's not worth bringing back at a nickel above $5M" fans.

Agree with the rest of your post, though. Except maybe that I don't "fear" Fitz ends up in Denver. If that's his price tag, I'm fine with it. We're not in the same situation as Denver.

I'm ignoring those guys I guess. 

I fear Fitz ending up in Denver and winning a SB purely from the standpoint of having to have to listen to the bitching, revisionist history and other such Jet fan psychosis.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Using the words "big contact" is open to interpretation. Just for sh*ts and giggles let's talk dollars. What would you be willing to pay Fitz?

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's the market's fault, not mine

Huh? The market is what deems it to be insulting. Your personal views are what deems it to be a good offer. It is objectively a shameful low ball.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

J.J.
‏@JJoyJets
On ESPN, Ed Werder just said the Jets are offering less to Fitz than what Chase Daniel got (3 years 21 million with incentives)

Macc really knows his values, I thought he would have come in higher than this, glad he is sticking to his guns.

So you want to start Geno Smith in 2016 then?

19 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Fair point, I think of it from his ending in Houston, and his reckless style of play. There were many hits he took this year that I thought he was done for the season, but your point is a good one.

This is what really concerns me with Fitz and why I think there is a perception he has an injury risk.  Perhaps no lingering soft tissue injuries, but taking the hits he takes he is bound to get hurt.  Imagine paying $15M for one stop gap year and then losing him in week 1 (Very Jet Like I might add)

9 minutes ago, hawk said:

Boom.

If we don't have anyone else ready and Fitz is starting, he gets more. If he's not, he gets paid like the game's top backup. That's what a stopgap QB is.

I feel much better about Maccagnan than a year ago (when I think he was a little too spendthrift and pushed too much off to future seasons like this one).

Good to see that he realizes with the "cheap year" over on some of his new pickups (Skrine, Carpenter, Gilchrist hit the 2016 cap at 2-3x as much as last year), and being locked into a couple of others, we can't improve the roster by paying 2-5x the amount to bring back the same players as last year (e.g. Fitz, Mo) while losing others with no replacement yet (e.g. Snacks).

But that's other teams stupidity.

Haha so if it benefits your position, other teams' decisions comprise "the market" if it doesn't well those teams aren't bona fide market actors, they are just stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Haha so if it benefits your position, other teams decisions comprise "the market" if it doesn't well those teams aren't bona fide market actors, they are just stupid emoji3.png

I have never seen the market benefit a team except if you are trading somebody

I have never seen the market benefit a team except if you are trading somebody

Pretty clear we are just on different wavelengths here. No worries thanks for being specific with your 2/20 number.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Using the words "big contact" is open to interpretation. Just for sh*ts and giggles let's talk dollars. What would you be willing to pay Fitz?

Gee I've only said it about 50x.

$8M/year x 3 years with 2 years ($16M) guaranteed. Though I prefer less/year and 1.5 years ($12M) guaranteed, the $16M guarantee would be the c-ya line in the sand.

If some nutbag GM wants to pay him more than $16M for just the 2016 season alone, or if Elway does because he legitimately has a SB-ready team around the QB position, any such GM is welcome to him.

The goal is to get better QB play than Fitz; not to be saddled by his new contract and tread water at the position at 5x the amount as last year. We're not a superbowl team with Fitz anyway, and paying him that much provides that much less ability to put a superbowl team around him.

53 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

LOL, cracking yourself up there huh? Hey, if you cant make yourself laugh, who can you make laugh, amiright?

You don't offer a backup $10 mil, "sweetheart", lol

Where did you get this $10M a year nonsense from? The jets offered Fitzpatrick a backup level deal, because he's a backup quarterback

18 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

J.J.
‏@JJoyJets

Good for Mac, 2 years 6M per is more than a fair offer for fitz

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Where did you get this $10M a year nonsense from? The jets offered Fitzpatrick a backup level deal, because he's a backup quarterback

Just because you keep saying he's a backup, doesn't make it true. He started 16 games last season. If he is brought back to the Jets, he's the day 1 starter barring an injury. He is a starting QB in the NFL and any amount of wishing from you isn't going to change that.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Just because you keep saying he's a backup, doesn't make it true. He started 16 games last season. If he is brought back to the Jets, he's the day 1 starter barring an injury. He is a starting QB in the NFL and any amount of wishing from you isn't going to change that.

He won't be brought back, don't worry. And no other team is stupid enough to pay him what you and his agent think he's worth 

Just now, cant wait said:

Not necessarily. It could be. But it also could just be a counter to Fitzpatrick's equally as high demands on the other extreme, with the thought that they'd settle around $10M. I prefer not to settle at that high a number myself, but to be fair it's not an unreasonable conclusion.

When you negotiate and your opponent is too far away, you don't meet in the middle by starting at the amount you want to pay. You start out by offering less than you're willing to go, with the idea that you go back and forth and arrive at or lower than your self-imposed limit, if a deal is there to be had.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:19 PM, Maxman said:

I don't see Elway's ego ever settling for Fitzpatrick.

You have to have a QB and right now Denver doesn't, so why not go after the best FA QB available in Fitzpatrick? I know Mac's philosophy is to build through the draft and never overpay for players. I think Fitzpatrick is a goner, because Denver is far more desperate and will blow up their salary cap because they basically have to. They will give Fitzy the money they offered Osweiler which is way more than he is worth and way more than the Jets will pay. I say go after Matt Moore and let him Geno and Petty all compete for the job.

Judging by the last few years, Denver will make a good decision on the QB position. 2011, Tebow got them in playoffs and won a game. Next year, they get Peyton and go to 2 Bowls in 4 years, and draft Osweiler in the process, who ends up saving their season last year. My $ would be on Elway to make the right decision. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not necessarily. It could be. But it also could just be a counter to Fitzpatrick's equally as high demands on the other extreme, with the thought that they'd settle around $10M. I prefer not to settle at that high a number myself, but to be fair it's not an unreasonable conclusion.

When you negotiate and your opponent is too far away, you don't meet in the middle by starting at the amount you want to pay. You start out by offering less than you're willing to go, with the idea that you go back and forth and arrive at or lower than your self-imposed limit, if a deal is there to be had.

With salaries where they are, even 10 would be fair to Fitz.

Not 18.  If someone gives him 18, take the 3rd rounder next year and move on.

15 minutes ago, cant wait said:

He won't be brought back, don't worry. And no other team is stupid enough to pay him what you and his agent think he's worth 

You have no idea what I think he's worth. There is a range at which I would be comfortable and then there is a range where it gets to be too much. We'll see what the market settles on.

Archived