Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I could think of a number worthy of pursuing.  I'm not saying these guys are the answers but I would prefer taking a shot than bring back Fitz on starter money...

Kaep, RG3, Ostweiler and yes Geno...

I realize those are either difficult gets or have proven at times to be unsuccessful.  I'm not saying they're a lock to be good, or even that there's a good chance they will be...but I believe they have a better chance than Fitz..

The final point I'm making about these guys - Everyone seems to love Fitz, yet when any of these guys get brought up the majority of this board sh-- on the idea.  

Your preferring Geno over Fitz says everything needed about your position ... The rest is fluff.

it is your prerogative to have this view & a certain % of Jets fans share it with you. The reason why a majority of the board Sh-- on the idea is because many of us have seen enough from Geno to decide he is not the answer .

your view may be the correct one ... Most of us don't agree with you ... Time will tell 

out of the fluff 

Kaep & RG3 both have had enough red flags to scare people off when considering  the limited upsides they've shown.

osweiller has shown potential ... But a very limited sample size... If you believe in his upside that is one play I would consider ... The problem here is the $$$ from Denver & Houston are both already just below franchise QB #'s ... You better truly buy in here ... With the potential QB's so limited we would be raked over the coals on a contract for him

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

No offense and I'm not picking on you in particular but this is the NFL.  There IS no such thing as an easy schedule.  I'm getting pretty tired of hearing this old saw being dragged out and used as a rationale.   

100  % correct that argument is getting very old.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The problem with this mindset is it does not allow for incremental improvement or building a winner over time.

We didn't "lose well" last year, we made a massive stride from league laughing stock, worst QB in NFL, Rex Ryan is a joke 4 win team to year-long contender, broke QB team records, two great WR's, competitive and respectable 10 win team.

But clearly, for some, thats not good enough.  We must gut the 10 win team, and start over at QB every year with someone with "upside" on the off chance they get in in their 4th year at QB after 3 years of blatant failure.  And if we win 4 games, "at least we know what we have".

This is the Cleveland Browns mindset.  Blow it up, every year.  No Title means failure, so blow it all up.

We're in a perfect spot to develop our own QB, Petty, and give him time (needed, given his college system) and still be competitive, respectable and have a chance at the postseason.

But we have a material portion of our fan base who would rather lose 15 games with a Geno, or a Glennon, or rush Petty, than to be patient and build a legit competitor.

It's irrelevant that we've waited however many years, that has no bearing on how to manage and NFL team now.  This administration needs time to do it and do it right, do it like the Steelers, the Pats, like a pro.  Slow, development, grow and consistency.

What I liked last year was being competitive and professional.  And yes, winning 10 games.  Do I think Fitz is a long term title winner?  No, frankly.  But he's the perfect QB to use to bridge us to Petty, or to a 2016 Draft Pick (as needed).  To avoid the pitfalls we fall into every time, with Sanchez (rushed, no competition, never won the job) and Geno (rushed, no competition, never won the job).

It's a lost cause, lets fire Petty too, and sign Geno and trade for Glennon.  10 year deals each.  One of them is bound to win it all, right?

Funny thing is we have an unremarkable LT getting crazy money and a QB who broke numerous Jets records hitting free agency. This is the Jets, and this is what we ******* do..

That being said I'm hoping we don't pay our LT and something is done to stop that nonsense. Why something has not been done up to this point is baffling.

If for some crazy reason we do not sign Fitz this team had better take a good look at Petty because we already have the sample size of Geno and I can't watch another season of that bullsh*t.

6 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I think Drew Brees is more Elway's style and would be the trade target if Brock is lost - Denver could become the destination for QB's looking to ride out in the sunset

Thats an interesting idea

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Fitz on a career year, misses the playoffs and everyone is falling all over themselves to want him back.  

I think many Jet fans are so used to losing that losing well is enough for them.  

you remember the games we lost early in the season due to stupid turnovers and ST failures ?? Not one of those were Fitz fault he played well enough to go 12-4 and make that buffalo game meaningless you know when the entire team came out flat. Its not all about the QB but when a team has a QB put up all time numbers at 32 then maybe that QB has come of age and with a few tweaks (RB TE) this team could easily reach that 12 win plateau this season. If this team does not find a way to get the players needed signed, its a kick in the teeth for someone like me who has been rooting for this team since 1970

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you remember the games we lost early in the season due to stupid turnovers and ST failures ?? Not one of those were Fitz fault he played well enough to go 12-4 and make that buffalo game meaningless you know when the entire team came out flat. Its not all about the QB but when a team has a QB put up all time numbers at 32 then maybe that QB has come of age and with a few tweaks (RB TE) this team could easily reach that 12 win plateau this season. If this team does not find a way to get the players needed signed, its a kick in the teeth for someone like me who has been rooting for this team since 1970

we lost games early b/c of Fitz, people seem to forget how he struggled the first half of the year despite the good record.  he kept Indy in the game, he kept Wash in the game, he cost us the Philly game, he kept Miami in the game.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree, you could certainly find games that you could have won.  But you can't play that game.  Giants gave us a gift a couple of other games that we won they we could have lost.  Your record is your record. 

I honestly believe this is a 10 win max team with Fitzpatrick.  

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I've been rooting as long as you have, and if the only place the Jets have kicked you over the years is the teeth, then you are way ahead of the game, my friend.:D

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we lost games early b/c of Fitz, people seem to forget how he struggled the first half of the year despite the good record.  he kept Indy in the game, he kept Wash in the game, he cost us the Philly game, he kept Miami in the game.

Exactly, you have a guy here who's demanding to be paid like a starting QB and leader of the team, yet when the time comes and the team needs him to step up he crumbles like the front running pretender he's always been

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

In a QB driven league. Wins = good QB play, at least by perception.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, you could certainly find games that you could have won.  But you can't play that game.  Giants gave us a gift a couple of other games that we won they we could have lost.  Your record is your record. 

I honestly believe this is a 10 win max team with Fitzpatrick.  

And the cake matchups against the injury riddled Titans and pats JV squads. Fitz must have been counting the dollar signs in his head when he was padding his stats in that stretch of games

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In a QB driven league. Wins = good QB play, at least by perception.

I think he got too much credit early on and too much blame when his #s dipped during that rough stretch at midseason.  I don't look at #s, I look at my QB making plays and giving our team a chance to win.

Realistically, I think if the Jets want to attempt to make the playoffs in 2016, they need a credible QB, but given the other commitments that is either Fitz or RG III at less than $10mm/year.

If they can't sign a credible QB for $10mm/year or less, they should draft another, build the OL and defense and continue to search for a QB.

19 hours ago, cant wait said:

Not sure about career but last season. Bottom 5 in completion pct/yards per attempt/INT. 24th in QB rating... And the film makes him look worse than that. The guy has no ability to scan the field and find the open receiver, he never moves his head and forces bad passes into tight coverage praying his WR can make something happen

That's cherry picking. He also did a lot of good things.

On 3/8/2016 at 1:54 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Francesca just said he would be surprised if Denver signed him. Says that's not the style of QB Elway likes

If Fatcesca says Denver won't sign him , of course they will . We're ****ED !!!!!!!!!

First of all i´m quite the Football Noob but i have been a Fan of the Jets since 2009 and i think resign Fitzpatrick would be the best option for now.But we shouldnt overpay him especially when we need the Money to fill some needs elswhere.

The Thing about Geno is that this Dude has Talent but he also making Poor Decisons..everywhere im reading that Fitz made 31 Td with 15 INT and these of course a great Numbers especially for a Jets QB but he also had a outstanding WR Support something that Geno never had.

I personally think Geno would perform well as a Start under the Bowles Offense.31-15 ?Probably not but with Forte ,Decker,Marshall he as excellt Catchers to support him.And besides we all doesnt know how far Petty already is.

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

In the 9 games he played Manning was 7-2 with 9 tds and 17 picks I think Fitz could do better then that..

he absolutely could and would w/ their talent BUT why would you pay big money for that when you can get a cheap QB to play like that and still have a chance to win?  Fitz doesn't give you a better or worse chance to win.

Hate to say it... but if Bradford and Osweiler are worth 18M per year...  Fitz isn't far behind.  He has a longer body of work which could help us save a little bit, but Osweiler 18M?  Come on if he can get it playing 6-7 games with the best defense in 5-10 years winning the games for him, so can Fitz.

5 minutes ago, aec4 said:

Hate to say it... but if Bradford and Osweiler are worth 18M per year...  Fitz isn't far behind.  He has a longer body of work which could help us save a little bit, but Osweiler 18M?  Come on if he can get it playing 6-7 games with the best defense in 5-10 years winning the games for him, so can Fitz.

If some other team wants to hand him 15 plus then good for him, it won't be the jets.

33 minutes ago, theron said:

First of all i´m quite the Football Noob but i have been a Fan of the Jets since 2009 and i think resign Fitzpatrick would be the best option for now.But we shouldnt overpay him especially when we need the Money to fill some needs elswhere.

The Thing about Geno is that this Dude has Talent but he also making Poor Decisons..everywhere im reading that Fitz made 31 Td with 15 INT and these of course a great Numbers especially for a Jets QB but he also had a outstanding WR Support something that Geno never had.

I personally think Geno would perform well as a Start under the Bowles Offense.31-15 ?Probably not but with Forte ,Decker,Marshall he as excellt Catchers to support him.And besides we all doesnt know how far Petty already is.

Welcome Noob!

disagree on Geno

go Jets!

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, but gotta figure it's not a small amount or he'd be signed already.

I don't think this was about demands as much as just getting to today and seeing how things shake out

think derek wolfe feels like an idiot today for agreeing to a deal late last season ?

This fa period has been much more tense than I thought it would be and not really in a good way.  I'm not surprised at who we lost so far and who we have cut but the
Qb issue is hanging over our heads like the sword of Damoclese...or John Cleese or something....

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This fa period has been much more tense than I thought it would be and not really in a good way.  I'm not surprised at who we lost so far and who we have cut but the
Qb issue is hanging over our heads like the sword of Damoclese...or John Cleese or something....

nah, idzik's great whiff-a-thon was way worse.  back then teams were allowed to announce agreements during the tampering period so everything got ratcheted up for 3 days and then.........

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

we are fine, no stress at all.  I am feeling good.

Maybe Mac is being so phlegmatic during Fitz staredown unfolds because he knows something about The Bryce and the draft that we don't.

in an article earlier this year, this is what he said about Petty:

"4. Prognosis for Year 2

Maccagnan: 'We feel ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 backup and the rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to go out there and do it on the field in preseason and kind of see where he’s at. But we're very excited about working with him and we do feel he has a bright future.'"

So the logic could be this:

1. The schedule is going to be tough, and odds are Fitz at best would give us 8-8
2. 8-8 is not worth destroying the team's future for a journeyman qb who had one winning season his entire career. If Mac falls flat on his in FA, bring him back, but for 1 year only, with lots of performance clauses.
3. If Fitz goes elsewhere... Geno would probably, deliver a losing season, given the schedule, with little upside.
4. But... and this the key... maybe the Bryce has shown Bowles something (maybe in secret practices, or is some under the radar way last season, whatever) and may also have huge upside (per the coaching brain trust)
5. So starting The Bryce this coming season (assuming he beats out Geno fair and square this summer)... you don't lose much, and you may gain a lot.

So, in this scenario, you set it up such that you are competitive and entertaining enough to keep the fans happy, while slowly assembling your team (ie Mac's team) by 2017/18, after all the deadwood and bad signings of past years are off the books. Revis stays because the massive cap hit, until we can safely get rid of him. He will be needing help next year, and each year until we are able to replace him.

This way you may succeed in developing (or drafting) your QB of the future, with Geno there as a low cost insurance backup just in case.
The Jets took Snacks and turned him from a walkon to a star with a $46m contract. Maybe they could do the same with The Bryce.
I could live with this plan. Brandon would probably hate it (see teddy bear vid), but maybe this is exactly what Mac intends to do.

Then again, I am not a GM, so what do I know?

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah we do know what Fitz is hes a QB who threw 31 TD's and made the position relevant on this team for the first time in 8 years yet people still complain

******* Idiot Jets fans.

you're the idiot, because your reading comprehension is awful if you think I was badmouthing Fitz.

Looks like the market is trying to tell Fitzy's agent something:

Thad Lewis - QB -  49ers

49ers signed QB Thad Lewis, formerly of the Eagles, to a one-year contract.

Lewis spent last season holding a clipboard for Sam Bradford in Philadelphia. He'll slide in as San Francisco's No. 3 quarterback behind Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. Lewis hasn't seen an NFL snap since 2013 when he started six games for Buffalo.

Mar 9 - 6:16 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned Mike Glennon as a possible trade target for Denver.

The Broncos were caught off guard by Brock Osweiler leaving to join the Texans and are now scrambling to find a starting quarterback. Glennon was moderately successful as a rookie in 2013 but lost his job to Josh McCown the following season and didn't play at all behind Jameis Winston in 2015. Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin have also been mentioned as possible replacements for Osweiler.
Mar 9 - 6:23 PM

Archived