Jets Best Move So Far?

Sarge4Tide

Best Move?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Jets best move so far has been......

• Playing Hardball with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Re-signing RB Bilal Powell
    • Signing RB Matt Forte
    • Signing RB Khiry Robinson
    • Signing RB / KR Dri Archer
    • Releasing WR Jeremy Kerley
    • Offerring a restricted tender to WR Kenbrell Thompkins
    • Releasing TE Jef Cumberland
    • Restructuring G James Carpenter's Contract
    • Franchising DL Mo Wilkerson
    • Signing DL Steve McLendon
    • Signing DL Jarvis Jenkins
    • Re-signing LB Erin Henderson
    • Signing LB Freddie Bishop from the CFL
    • Not Re-signing LB Demario Davis
    • Releasing CB Antonio Cromartie
    • Signing CB Daryl Morris
    • Something Else

I suppose it goes hand in hand with McClendon but not paying Snacks was a pretty sound play. It's still way too early in Macaggnan's tenure to determine what we're dealing with, but that is something Tannenbaum would have indubitably done so at least we can be sure he's not that. 

Also just to add, I don't mean to diss the topic but after 16 years of serious highs and lows with free agency I'm not so sure any of this really matters. Like it does but it's a distant second to drafting. Yes, contracts and the cap matters, but I think if there's one conclusion to be made from everything we've seen this century it's that protecting picks and hitting on those picks are light years more important. We shouldn't be judging the new FO by any of this stuff. We should but we shouldn't, if that makes any sense. And even higher than that is finding a quarterback. If Macaggnan can hit on his picks every year and finally find a quarterback the guy can give Taylor Swift a $100 million deal to play gunner for all I care. Find a quarterback, that's it. 

I choose something else because I hope it is not resigning Fitz at all, but that is still undetermined, and if they do sign him nothing else really matters will be another sh*tty, boring, uninteresting season for me personally, there is no hope in winning anything of importance with Fitz no matter how good, or bad the rest of the roster is, and have no interest in being a pretender for another season, and picking 20th in the draft again, get a real QB, or die trying.

5 hours ago, Simijet said:

Mac playing hardball with Fitzy is the most impressive and gutsy move thus far.  Signing Forte could be a nice move but, unfortunately, it's doubtful that he'll be a dominant player again.:(

Mac is a smart GM that knows Fitzpatrick's true value. Fitz is not an elite QB, he has been a journyman who enjoyed his best season last year. While he remains a viable and perhaps best option, he is not worth anywhere near the money he is asking.  It will be interesting to see how this finally plays out.

Love Fitz - He was my favourite player last season - But playing hardball and ensuring we don't get drawn into handing out a sentimental big contract was very important. Fitz is a short term option and we can't jeopardise the long term for a guy like that. He wouldn't be nearly as effective either if we had to tear apart the team to accommodate his salary. 

I know this seems to be the unpopular opinion on here but I really don't want us to trade Wilkerson. I'd be happy keeping him this year and making the decision on keeping either Mo or Sheldon next season, assuming that's what the situation would be. Just hate the seeing the Jets get rid of elite players and unless we're getting crazy compensation I just don't see it being worth it. I think his value is very understated on here too - it's a high value position and it says a lot that the biggest knock of him is that he isn't JJ Watt. We were one of the best teams in the league last year at pressuring QB's (contrary to what most here say, I find every fan base thinks their pass rush is worse than it is) and we managed that with a ridiculously slow LB core. We lose Mo and the strength of our defence is seriously weakened. 

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I suppose it goes hand in hand with McClendon but not paying Snacks was a pretty sound play. It's still way too early in Macaggnan's tenure to determine what we're dealing with, but that is something Tannenbaum would have indubitably done so at least we can be sure he's not that. 

I was actually very surprised this wasn't a choice ... Didn't feel like clicking "something else" though, lol

Also just to add, I don't mean to diss the topic but after 16 years of serious highs and lows with free agency I'm not so sure any of this really matters. Like it does but it's a distant second to drafting. Yes, contracts and the cap matters, but I think if there's one conclusion to be made from everything we've seen this century it's that protecting picks and hitting on those picks are light years more important. We shouldn't be judging the new FO by any of this stuff. We should but we shouldn't, if that makes any sense. And even higher than that is finding a quarterback. If Macaggnan can hit on his picks every year and finally find a quarterback the guy can give Taylor Swift a $100 million deal to play gunner naked for all I care. Find a quarterback, that's it. 

Fixed

30 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

None of the above....the best move would have been NOT tagging MO and destroying our already shaky cap resources.  Could spent that $ on OL or some other NEED.  

Have to respectfully disagree with you on this ... This is to have control of Mo while we negotiate with other teams to get the best deal possible to trade him. Love Mo, but he will not be on our team in 2016 ... & it will be the correct move.

I'm going to write-in my vote: His best play is making the Jets a truly airtight organization. 

Think about it, the reason the discussions here are so ******* stupid lately is because the fans have nothing to talk about. The Jets let exactly the information they want out, when they want it out... no more, no less. It's absolute torture to a demented fanbase that thrives on being more relevant in March than in late December... but it time, we'll hopefully adjust to it as the fortunes of this franchise shift under our feet.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm going to write-in my vote: His best play is making the Jets a truly airtight organization. 

Think about it, the reason the discussions here are so ******* stupid lately is because the fans have nothing to talk about. The Jets let exactly the information they want out, when they want it out... no more, no less. It's absolute torture to a demented fanbase that thrives on being more relevant in March than in late December... but it time, we'll hopefully adjust to it as the fortunes of this franchise shift under our feet.

We have plenty of posters here who can keep the discussions "so ****** stupid" regardless of our airtightedness ;)

Also just to add, I don't mean to diss the topic but after 16 years of serious highs and lows with free agency I'm not so sure any of this really matters. Like it does but it's a distant second to drafting. Yes, contracts and the cap matters, but I think if there's one conclusion to be made from everything we've seen this century it's that protecting picks and hitting on those picks are light years more important. We shouldn't be judging the new FO by any of this stuff. We should but we shouldn't, if that makes any sense. And even higher than that is finding a quarterback. If Macaggnan can hit on his picks every year and finally find a quarterback the guy can give Taylor Swift a $100 million deal to play gunner for all I care. Find a quarterback, that's it. 

Taylor Swift I'd easily give $100 mil to. 

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Have to respectfully disagree with you on this ... This is to have control of Mo while we negotiate with other teams to get the best deal possible to trade him. Love Mo, but he will not be on our team in 2016 ... & it will be the correct move.

If remains to be seen what exactly, if anything we get for Mo.  In the mean we weren't flush with cash at the FA starting bell and likely missed out an a few good additions. 

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

None of the above....the best move would have been NOT tagging MO and destroying our already shaky cap resources.  Could spent that $ on OL or some other NEED.  

Mo is to talented to let walk without compensation. It remains to be seen if he remains a Jet, but there was no choice but to tag him.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

+1

And barring anything unforeseen, he's played the Fitzpatrick situation perfectly too.

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Solid vertical but lacking on her cone drills OH MY GOD CAN WE KEEP THE DRAFT TALK TO THE DRAFT FORUM ITS MARCH

All you Johnny come lately's are bullsh*t I had Vernon Adams as a sixth round sleeper all the way back in January as evidenced by my hot post in the draft forum entitled "Vernon Adams My Sixth Rd Sleeper Candidate." It got 6 views ftw 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Which is why, even though it seems less significant than some on its face, I think the Forte signing may eke it out for me. Huge boost to give a young QB an easy out of so many busted pass plays. 

But I'm torn between that, and his handling of Fitz & tagging Mo. Of course, the latter becomes a huge negative if he doesn't find a trade partner to offer us more than the comp pick we'd have gotten, and early March cap room we'd have been able to use, by not tagging Mo and simply letting him go to free agency.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Which is why, even though it seems less significant than some on its face, I think the Forte signing may eke it out for me. Huge boost to give a young QB an easy out of so many busted pass plays. 

But I'm torn between that, and his handling of Fitz & tagging Mo. Of course, the latter becomes a huge negative if he doesn't find a trade partner to offer us more than the comp pick we'd have gotten, and early March cap room we'd have been able to use, by not tagging Mo and simply letting him go to free agency.

I dunno, perhaps I'm thinking too broadly about this but it just feels like these are the same recycled evaluations of moves and signings...etc that we've been having about roster after roster and front office after front office. Probably because today's GMs live or die by their ability to find a quarterback and not one person running this franchise over the past two decades has come even close to solving that one. Signings like Forte are great, not overpaying Snacks is great, being shrewd about not paying Fitz a gazillion dollars is great, but this is pat-on-the-butt stuff here. I don't know how indicative they are of competency. We still don't know if he can draft (last year's class isn't looking that stellar) and if we go another couple seasons without any hope under center we'll probably be turning over the organization yet again. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno, perhaps I'm thinking too broadly about this but it just feels like these are the same recycled evaluations of moves and signings...etc that we've been having about roster after roster and front office after front office. Probably because today's GMs live or die by their ability to find a quarterback and not one person running this franchise over the past two decades has come even close to solving that one. Signings like Forte are great, not overpaying Snacks is great, being shrewd about not paying Fitz a gazillion dollars is great, but this is pat-on-the-butt stuff here. I don't know how indicative they are of competency. Because if we go another couple seasons without any hope under center we'll probably be turning over the organization yet again. 

Yes, you think like a broad. 

Beyond that... Something bout blood from a stone. If a solution at QB was there and he drafted "value" instead then that's one thing. Or if Kaepernick turns his career around and we didn't get him. Or Glennon. Or whoever else. 

But if no such eventual franchise QB is available to us what can he do?

Archived