Report: Jets Have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith

JetNation

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm actually a big fan of this scorched earth concept at the position right now. Fitz is a waste of time. Geno's a mush. Maybe Petty steps up, but who knows. IMO, they should go get McCown and let him and Petty fight it out, then do everything in their power to use Mo to bring back Wentz or Goff. 

Didn't Stalin favor a scorched earth philosophy too?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no faith in Geno Smith, based exclusively on watching him play these past three years.  He lacks many of the skills/instincts a good QB requires, and while it's theoretical that he could be taught them, it's be a very long process given how few skills he seems to possess.  His lack of passion for the game or for improving his game is obvious as well.

I hope the team moves on from him at the earliest opportunity.  Alternate options at #2 QB are, IMO, superior and a better long term investment of time and resources.

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:
Bryce Petty - QB -  Jets

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Bryce Petty needs to improve inside the pocket.

"When he gets pressure, he becomes antsy and his feet start moving," said Bowles. Performance under duress is arguably the most critical trait for quarterbacks to master at the NFL level. Even after a full year on the bench, Petty doesn't sound like a legitimate option to play snaps for the Jets in 2016.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 27 - 10:35 AM

This right here is precisely why I like Glennon so much because of this exact area. Play under pressure. 

42 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Watching Geno take a 6 or 7 yard loss in the Raiders game by running out of bounds when all he had to do was toss the ball 3 feet to the sideleines was pretty much the final straw for me.  The man is stupid and has no situational awareness, not the kind of guy you want QB'ing your team. 

I know exactly which play you're talking about.  I was rooting like hell for Geno to do enough to show he's taken a step forward in that game, but when I saw him do that, I just shrugged and said, "well, so much for that"

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

We've heard reports of the exact opposite even from Willie Colon that the team believes in Geno and was impressed on how he practiced, etc. after the incident and losing his job. And having his successor have a good season. So who knows what to believe. I thought that Geno played well in his one relief appearance. And some people as usual are over analyzing every mistake he made in that game.  And sometimes Qbs take more time to learn how to play the position (esp him). Look we might be witnessing in San Francisco a completely failed Qb having a resurrection. It looks like maybe Blaine Gabbert has found a landing spot we're not sure but last season the players and coaches wanted him over Kap. And this year at least on paper Chip Kelly is saying that Blaine is maybe his Qb in 2016. . 

Look I'm not a Geno apologist. And don't want him to be our starter in 2016, I want Fitz. But that was one play. The rest of the game he was ok. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I'm not a Geno apologist. And don't want him to be our starter in 2016, I want Fitz. But that was one play. The rest of the game he was ok. 

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"

We have 2+ years of failure on tape plus the coaches see him in practice every day.  Time to move on from Geno Smith. 

They have such little faith in Geno Smith, he's still on the roster and the Jets are literally giving zero effort in signing a QB other than kicking the tires on RG3, low balling Fitz (in his opinion) and making a call here and there about some sh*t bag.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Did you just quote yourself? Also, there were a number of plays 2015 Geno looked just like 2013 and 2014 Geno, like when he got smacked so hard out of bounds that Fitz with only one finger left on his hand had to come in for a play.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's pretty obvious that this new FO/coaching staff isnt giving Geno any breaks. It could be a bit of tough love along with trying to find your QB. You dont want to coddle Geno and you wont wait for him either. Either Geno will prove he's the answer or he will be pushed aside. I think thats more of the case than the Jets simply not wanting to have anything to do with him. If that was the case just cut him. 

I am 1 of a handful of people that didnt like the past front office or coaching staff when it came to player development...not just QB development. Giving Geno the benefit of the doubt given that he was only in the league for 2 seasons with that prior regime, is just that...the benefit of the doubt. 

Im just not as quick to say that someone is a bust and cant be salvaged. We go through that every year with a player. Last year you'd have to be a fool if you thought Calvin Pryor was just a rookie an not a complete bust and a waste of a draft pick. This year we give him praise and we all pretend like we werent talking about how much of a bust he was just 12 months prior. 

It's pretty obvious that the Jets are looking to get the QB situation right. But its up to Geno to show them that he's the answer, this isnt the regime that will just wait. They provided a great QB coach and weapons so there's no excuses....which is absolutely correct. There are NO excuses. 

With the prior regime I feel like there were honestly some excuses outside of the bad quarterback play. I wouldnt call that brain damage, but a sensible perspective. If it wasnt then the coaching staff/front office would still be here. 

Could be a lot of tough love as you stated.  A week ago Bowled was ok with Geno as his starting QB.  This week somethings changed and we have no confidence in him?  Then why let anyone know?  So that potential trade partners or FAs can feel bad for us? Or to feed the fans who just complain over and over again, the type who thing the team will somehow magically get better by cutting a backup who doesn't play.

The team seems to be targeting a QB in this draft regardless. If Fitz doesn't cave, REMEMBER this SAME Coaching Staff was GUN-HO and all in w/Geno as the starter After the Draft, going INTO TC, Preseason and up until IK's divine intervention.

IF Fitzy doesn't capitulate, Geno will be the starter going into the season, Bowles will tell the media & fans to Fuçk off, and they'll ride #7 until either he gets injured, pulls a PlaxiccoBurress, or the Jets are OUT of playoff contention w/a # of games left to see if either Petty or the 2016 QB drafted can play and show hope for 2017 when we have cap space again. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Did you just quote yourself? Also, there were a number of plays 2015 Geno looked just like 2013 and 2014 Geno, like when he got smacked so hard out of bounds that Fitz with only one finger left on his hand had to come in for a play.

My favorite whine, Geno shouldn't have tried so hard to get all those extra yards.  Because that's how your guy got hurt.  Fitz was trying hard, Genos an idiot for gaining all those yards because he could have gotten hurt.  If he slides or goes down he's a pussy, not a real man like Fitz.  

Never listen to coaches or front office talk.  They're not talking to tell Fans what they really think ffs.

Stop lending the things they say any real-world credence.  Actions speak, words (especially from coaches and GM's) say nothing beyond sending messages to players or agents in order to manipulate them.

This is exactly what I figured all along. Mac knows that Geno is a complete POS. Geno is on this team currently because they have no better options right now for a QB. But if the Jets get Fitz back and end up drafting a QB in the draft? Geno is f*cking done and I will be on cloud nine when that happens. It's called good riddance.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

My favorite whine, Geno shouldn't have tried so hard to get all those extra yards.  Because that's how your guy got hurt.  Fitz was trying hard, Genos an idiot for gaining all those yards because he could have gotten hurt.  If he slides or goes down he's a pussy, not a real man like Fitz.  

Not whining at all. Geno just isn't smart. There was literally no one else to play if he gets hurt and he takes a big hit for like 2 more yards. All he had to do was step out of bounds. That's not asking much. He just doesn't get it, has shown no improvement of actually trying to get it, and is probably never going to get it.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not whining at all. Geno just isn't smart. There was literally no one else to play if he gets hurt and he takes a big hit for like 2 more yards. All he had to do was step out of bounds. That's not asking much. He just doesn't get it, has shown no improvement of actually trying to get it, and is probably never going to get it.

Why don't you rip Fitz who should have been more careful, he knew Geno was the only backup? Fitz did this over and over again, week after week.  Didn't give a shlt who was the backup.  But it's Fitz, why does the same logic only work one way? 

This really has to be the most pointless, ridiculous argument ever.  Geno was trying too hard, got too many yards on a single run.  One where didn't get hurt, lol.  First I read here Geno is too soft, now he plays too hard.   It's a total whine.  Let's rip Geno for a long gain. Lol

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Why don't you rip Fitz who should have been more careful, he knew Geno wa the backup? This really has to be the most pointless, ridiculous argument ever.  Geno was trying too hard, got too many yards, lol.  It's a total whine.  Let's rip Geno for a long gain. Lol

This thread is about Geno. It has nothing to do with Fitz. If Geno is the starter and Petty the backup, the argument would be the same. It's not trying to hard or getting too many yards. Up until he got smacked it was a very solid play. He didn't finish it properly.

Would you rather talk about the sacks in bounds as the game wound down instead of throwing the ball away? No? Geno is not a good quarterback. Everyone knows it. Move on.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Except that Sheffter who is a billion times more credible than Bleacher Report cites numerous Jets sources in saying he is surprised at the level of support for Geno in the Jets organization yet we are supposed to believe an article that is nothing more than a message board post citing an opinion.

Well I hadn't see all the facts and time line put together in one place before.  Pretty convincing article/argument  that Smith will never be the man.  

Bowles is the Geno hater in the organization, his lack of judgement on the offensive side of things is a major liability, this is probably his last

season as a HC in the NFL, the Jets should have won at least 12 or 13 games last season, we will need an OC to be our next HC.  Bowles

sucks.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Never listen to coaches or front office talk.  They're not talking to tell Fans what they really think ffs.

Stop lending the things they say any real-world credence.  Actions speak, words (especially from coaches and GM's) say nothing beyond sending messages to players or agents in order to manipulate them.

You would think a front office trying to keep Fitz's pricetag down would have glowing things to say about Geno.  They don't.  At all.  The only thing Macc has said about him is "He's under contract."

Granted, they haven't had glowing things to say about Petty either.  All that tells me is that they view neither Geno nor Petty as their 2016 Week 1 Starter.  And Fitz and his agent know it, and have known it all along. 

Of course they don't. He has zero command of the offense, zero self awareness when it comes to pocket presence/ball security, and zero respect from the rest of the team.

Geno should be cut and given the chance to find success elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Of course they don't. He has zero command of the offense, zero self awareness when it comes to pocket presence/ball security, and zero respect from the rest of the team.

Geno should be cut and given the chance to find success elsewhere.

Like where? We know his glass jaw rules out MMA fighter.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Geno Smith were abducted by aliens today, there would still be some folks here who still thought he had a shot at being the Jets starting QB this year.  

Maybe the aliens would find his head during the anal probe.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except that Sheffter who is a billion times more credible than Bleacher Report cites numerous Jets sources in saying he is surprised at the level of support for Geno in the Jets organization yet we are supposed to believe an article that is nothing more than a message board post citing an opinion.

Z07-minister.jpg

Geno is big and strong and he can throw and run. He may be a pretty smart guy.  But what is clear is that he does not cut it as a QB.  He is not real accurate, for one thing. And there are too many football brain farts.  This has nothing to do with intelligence.  It has to do with game presence. His football instincts are just not wired correctly.  Why does a guy not throw it away?  Why does a guy take stupid hits?  Why does a guy throw the ball into coverage like that?    Why can;t a guy pick up/ secondary receivers? They know he has physical talents, but there are certain simple decisions a QB should make that Geno has shown he cannot make under pressure. He repeatedly screws up.   Who knows?  Maybe he does it every day in practice too?   No point in wasting time or money on him any more.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ultimately Geno is going to have to put up. Though the article didnt bring up anything new, just reiterating what we already knew from last season, the bottomline is Geno needs to take the job if he expects to have it. If he cant then that's on him. At the end of the day the Jets need a good quarterback. 

Geno has shown ALL Jets fans what his ceiling is and it is very low indeed. The game simply is too fast for a one read QB which is what he is. When he has to check down or go to second or third options, he gets sacked. Sometimes he gets sacked because he is just stupid....as Rob Ninkovich how easy his sack was.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:
Bryce Petty - QB -  Jets

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Bryce Petty needs to improve inside the pocket.

"When he gets pressure, he becomes antsy and his feet start moving," said Bowles. Performance under duress is arguably the most critical trait for quarterbacks to master at the NFL level. Even after a full year on the bench, Petty doesn't sound like a legitimate option to play snaps for the Jets in 2016.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 27 - 10:35 AM

Does any one else appreciate that our defensive minded HC, Bowles, has a real understanding of what to look for in a QB and also understands that a raw young QB needs grooming!

Amazing...

A far cry form mulit colored wrist bands and red light; green light one two three.....

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Na, people said bust. Saying that a guy had a terrible season and needs to shape up is different than saying that the guy is a bust, waste of a 1st round pick etc etc. Similar things we've heard about Geno after his first season. He's a bust, waste of a 2nd round pick, unsalvageable, etc. etc. 

My point is just like your point. With better coaches Pryor excelled. Same situation could be with Geno. You say that Geno didnt learn nothing in 3 years, well 2 of those years he had the same coaches that Pryor played terrible under, and his 3rd year he didnt play. We can over emphasize the Raiders game, but the bottomline is that he made some poor decisions but made some good ones as well and he came in cold with no rhythm.

Im not counting one game coming in cold, not being able to prepare for with the 1's yet for the most part putting up "fitz-like" numbers as a 3rd year. Also, the FO doing their job is not solely an indictment on Geno, but on the position as a whole. We will bring in some players and we will get it right, but either way we slice it, Geno is still in the mix until he's no longer a Jet. Thats what it is. 

Good points, also VIck was just as bad as Geno last season.  Geno was also lights out the final 4 games last season

and had an excellent rookie year, he will be excellent for someone else- Bowles clearly is a liablliy, he will not last.

Archived