Paxton Lynch Pro Day assessment

ManCave Analyst

3 hours ago, KRL said:

I'm sure Lynch looked good but it's impossible to look bad at a
pro day when you're following a "script".  To me Lynch is a project
just like Petty, but he has Flacco type of arm talent with a lot more
athletic ability.  If taken at #20 we wouldn't see him until 2017 at
the earliest

Is Petty's arm equal to Lynch, 90% of Lynch? I'm just wondering if having to projects that ar near equal with each other is worth spending a #1 pick on?

Petty is pretty darn athletic as well.... just not as big

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's a good idea in theory. Also because it'll be easier to pass the baton after his passing stats from 2015 don't repeat.

Also I don't think I could stomach the baseless claims of the losses that would have been sure wins if only Fitzpatrick was still here. Might as well let people see for sure. I mean, I expect everyone else will get the blame, but at least it'd be shown we'd have still lost.

Hopefully it is a contract that makes it palatable to bench him at any time. I wouldn't mind a $7M backup if he's worth it, and Fitz is worth that as a QB who can step in and start in a pinch. Just concerned it will reach the $12M/year range with enough guaranteed for year 2 that they will just keep him rather than pay him $5M to play elsewhere.

My expectations for Fitz should he be back are moderate at best. Consistency has never been a strength of his... He kind of just stumbled into a situation where the moons lined up for him last year - which is exactly why he's a FA right now and not be offered anything more than good back up money.

How can Petty have struggled mightily if he's never gotten any real snaps? 

As for Paxton what do you think, that he will help the Jets day 1? he can't even take a snap from center right now. I don't have to be Bill Walsh to know he's multiple years away. I'm not comfortable evaluating Qbs but I do know the value of players. Lynch could be there in rd 2, that's how raw he is. 20 is too early. It's not that I dislike the player as much as I dislike the value. Projects shouldn't go in rd 1. At least not with this team who only has 6 picks. 

and the best part of this is that neither you nor I will make this pick. The guys who will make this pick took a DT even though they had 2 other studs because he was BPA. They aren't reaching on Paxton Lynch, no matter how much you want them to. 

Lulz... Help the team day 1? That's your criteria for drafting a QB?... Just go home dude. You're edited reply is even more of an unfocused rant than your original and your decision making is the stuff of MacDonalds.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fitz was not given an opportunity to win the starting gig. I'm not even a particularly big fan of Fitzpatrick's and I'll readily acknowledge that.

The job was handed to Geno with no competition. 

If they still had faith in him they wouldn't be making any of these meh offers to Fitzpatrick at all. They know Fitz isn't a franchise QB either, so why offer him $7M (unofficially they'd go to $9M)? 

I don't understand what you mean. Sure you could argue that behind the scenes the plan was to hand Geno the job regardless. But you can't possibly know that for a fact. Technically, there WAS a competition. I remember it very clearly. Every day there were reports on who did better in camp, who threw more INTs, who looked better, Geno or Fitz.

I also don't really understand your comment RE: offering Fitz a contract. Fitz had a great season as starter. Nobody expected that. If the Jets can get him back at a price they believe is fair, Fitz WILL start. My point was, if they CAN'T, they feel comfortable enough with Geno starting, that's all. And the fact that they have not upped the offer to lock him up only proves that point. If they had ZERO confidence in Geno, the QB position would have been addressed by now- IMO.     

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is Petty's arm equal to Lynch, 90% of Lynch? I'm just wondering if having to projects that ar near equal with each other is worth spending a #1 pick on?

Petty is pretty darn athletic as well.... just not as big

I see the two as very different prospects. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Says Mayock. IMO Lynch is too raw to gamble on in the first round. I think he will slide. I think 20 is too early. This is a bad draft for QBs but teams (as always) will still reach for QBs. If the Jets REALLY like him and acquire a high 2nd rounder for Wilk, they might as well take him early in the 2nd, b/c some team will. But I wouldn't. 

But what do I know.     

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lulz... Help the team day 1? That's your criteria for drafting a QB?.. 

that's my criteria for a first round pick, at any position, including QB. this isn't 2005. They aren't sitting Aaron Rodgers for 4 years. the pick at 20 will play sooner rather than later. 

Just now, PepPep said:

I don't understand what you mean. Sure you could argue that behind the scenes the plan was to hand Geno the job regardless. But you can't possibly know that for a fact. Technically, there WAS a competition. I remember it very clearly. Every day there were reports on who did better in camp, who threw more INTs, who looked better, Geno or Fitz.

I also don't really understand your comment RE: offering Fitz a contract. Fitz had a great season as starter. Nobody expected that. If the Jets can get him back at a price they believe is fair, Fitz WILL start. My point was, if they CAN'T, they feel comfortable enough with Geno starting, that's all. And the fact that they have not upped the offer to lock him up only proves that point. If they had ZERO confidence in Geno, the QB position would have been addressed by now- IMO.     

1. There was no competition. Even Fitzpatrick said himself that he was here to back up Geno. Camp reports are fine, but that doesn't mean there was an actual competition. The 2015 Jets did not hold any competitions for starting positions.

2. Fitz did not have a great season. Fitz had a great season for Fitz. 

3. The QB position would be addressed by now if it was easily addressable. They've talked to Fitz, they brought in RG3, they have had talks about Glennon, and it sure looks like they're interested in taking a QB. All that doesn't happen if they're comfortable enough with Geno. The best I think one could confidently say is that he is higher on the depth chart than Petty right now.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lulz... Help the team day 1? That's your criteria for drafting a QB?... Just go home dude. You're edited reply is even more of an unfocused rant than your original and your decision making is the stuff of MacDonalds.

I don't get the reference. Not a fan of Big Macs?

20 minutes ago, PepPep said:

With the new CBA and practice time its practically impossible to have a QB competition in preseason with the limited reps. Fitz was still recovering from a broken leg if memory serves....Geno was the starter at that point by default. And then he got punched before the Lions game forcing Fitz to play.

If you ask me though I thought once Fitz was recovered he's had be given the job anyways...as he's obviously better.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I don't understand why people are assuming Fitz will be back...

Its looking more and more like he will NOT be resigned and the Jets will either trade for Hoyer or draft a QB and either way, Geno will probably be the starter. The Jets seem comfortable with that if Fitz doesn't drop his price tag. And even though a lot of Jets fan will cringe at the thought of Geno starting. Lets not forget that he WON the starting gig until he got his jaw broken. Fitz was signed as a backup and when given the opportunity to win the starting gig, couldn't do it. Obviously, the Jets have some faith in Geno, even if they don't see him as the Franchise guy and plan to move on from him next year.  

Well, Fitz wasn't doing much seeing as how he was rehabbing a broken leg, so I don't know that Geno "winning" a competition, or if it hadn't really started yet.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

So few teams have an opportunity to develop a qb like Lynch - yet here we are with an almost dream like scenario. You resign Fitz, make Geno your back up on Sundays but give the kid the reps during the week. Next year pass the baton and Fitz settles back into a mentor/back up role.

I think it's a no-brainer

Other than that puts 4 QBs on the roster 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. There was no competition. Even Fitzpatrick said himself that he was here to back up Geno. Camp reports are fine, but that doesn't mean there was an actual competition. The 2015 Jets did not hold any competitions for starting positions.

2. Fitz did not have a great season. Fitz had a great season for Fitz. 

3. The QB position would be addressed by now if it was easily addressable. They've talked to Fitz, they brought in RG3, they have had talks about Glennon, and it sure looks like they're interested in taking a QB. All that doesn't happen if they're comfortable enough with Geno. The best I think one could confidently say is that he is higher on the depth chart than Petty right now.

Fitz was brought in and told he was here to be the backup QB,. The history books have been rewritten to he was on his way to beating Geno out for the starting job.

Was a matter of time.  But if you don't agree, theres more than a few cute names that rhyme with Geno 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Meh. If petty sticks this year, he'll have to beat out Geno in camp.

If they keep one, it will be Petty.  Hes the one they drafted, with the thought that if hes not your starter hes a solid, long term backup.  With where they took him is fine

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

How can Petty have struggled mightily if he's never gotten any real snaps? 

As for Paxton what do you think, that he will help the Jets day 1? he can't even take a snap from center right now. I don't have to be Bill Walsh to know he's multiple years away. I'm not comfortable evaluating Qbs but I do know the value of players. Lynch could be there in rd 2, that's how raw he is. 20 is too early. It's not that I dislike the player as much as I dislike the value. Projects shouldn't go in rd 1. At least not with this team who only has 6 picks. 

and the best part of this is that neither you nor I will make this pick. The guys who will make this pick took a DT even though they had 2 other studs because he was BPA. They aren't reaching on Paxton Lynch, no matter how much you want them to. 

As desperately as I want a young QB just to give this franchise even a modicum of hope, I'm with you here. You wanna take a flyer on Prescott or Sudfeld or whatever on day 3, fine, but you can't spend #20 overall on a guy who had to look to the sideline before every snap.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i predict he doesn't get past LA.  and i like writing LA for football.

If the Jets like Lynch enough they should go up and get him.    The Raiders probably are looking to trade back. The Jets can jump right in front of the Rams.  Probably only cost pick 20 ,and their third round pick.

4 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If the Jets like Lynch enough they should go up and get him.    The Raiders probably are looking to trade back. The Jets can jump right in front of the Rams.  Probably only cost pick 20 ,and their third round pick.

Why would you pass on Hargreaves?

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Paxton Lynch is a raw prospect from a gimmick system who doesn't know how to take a snap from center and can't help the team in 2016. In other words a slightly better Bryce Petty. They already have a Bryce Petty. I just don't see the appeal at least not in rd1. With rd 2? Sure why not. But they need a day 1 starter at 20. 

Co-sign, although I am not so sure the front office is looking at it this way.  The only teams that should forego a 1st round pick, who looks like he belongs on day-1, to take non-slam dunk QB are those in full re-build mode and teams who are stacked, including the QB position, and can afford to groom a 1st round QB to be the next man up at the position.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Fitz was brought in and told he was here to be the backup QB,. The history books have been rewritten to he was on his way to beating Geno out for the starting job.

Was a matter of time.  But if you don't agree, theres more than a few cute names that rhyme with Geno 

Yep, and my memory isn't that bad yet. Geno was consistently outplaying him from pretty much every report. That still doesn't mean there was a competition then, or that the team would consider the same pecking order - or another competition - this summer. 

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep, and my memory isn't that bad yet. Geno was consistently outplaying him from pretty much every report. That still doesn't mean there was a competition then, or that the team would consider the same pecking order - or another competition - this summer. 

There's was never a QB competition the peanut gallery here made that up to fit their agenda...

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

There was never a competition for any starting position on the 2015 Jets. 

Not exactly accurate the RG position was a competition but Colon separated himself early.... 

After starting every Jets game the past two seasons, right guard Willie Colon's job was up for grabs when he arrived at training camp in July. He was still rehabbing from a left knee injury and needed to prove himself to a new coach and general manager.

But on Tuesday, after a battle that stretched more than a month, Todd Bowles announced that the 32-year-old Colon - who signed a one-year deal in the offseason - will retain his starting position for 2015.

"He came back to camp in shape. He wanted it more. He played like he wanted it more. He was the hungriest. And he's shown (it)," Bowles said. "He didn't bust as many assignments as the rest of them. He played tougher. He played more physical than the rest of them."

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Colon beat out Brian Winters, Brent Qvale and Oday Aboushi for the job despite leading all right guards with 14 penalties in 2014.

Bowles said Winters is currently the backup right guard, but things could change depending on how players perform in Thursday's preseason game against the Eagles at MetLife Stadium.

Colon noted the play of Winters and Qvale during camp, but ultimately, his experience was the difference.

"When you're a younger guy and you've never been through a competition battle, you can start counting reps, you can start looking into little things like how you're treated or how people are talking to you. But you have to be able to ignore all that," Colon told the Daily News. "Any time you're out there and you're getting the chance to be out there, you compete. You play hard and you don't mess up and you do what you have to do to get the job done."

If you  don't like the QB you don't take him, if you like him enough you don't fug around you pick him at 20 and don't have this 'oh we can hope he is there in the 2nd round' and then end up taking a worse prospect.  The idea is for us to get a freaking qb.  Take the gamble on a qb with talent.

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Not exactly accurate the RG position was a competition but Colon separated himself early.... 

Not much of a competition. That type of competition is over before it begins. Winters was awful. The guy lost his job to Oday Aboushi. He's going to win a "competition" with Colon?

It's a competition maybe if Colon was unable to play. Other than that, I'm not buying that his starting job was in actual jeopardy.

The only non-veteran that was permitted to start was the #6 overall pick, a no-brainer on its face, and even more so with Richardson suspended (and the only one of the 3 who could fake it as a starting OLB enough to dump even Coples). Even veteran players the team couldn't wait to part with after the season (or even mid-season) - Coples, Davis, Cromartie, Pace - were handed starting jobs like Halloween candy despite poor play. Cromartie was bad during the season but the only thing worse than that was his horrible play over the summer. No matter. He gets the starting job plus excuses on his behalf from the HC.

Watch us waste the cleared space from Mo & Brick to re-sign him later this spring lol. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not much of a competition. That type of competition is over before it begins. Winters was awful. The guy lost his job to Oday Aboushi. He's going to win a "competition" with Colon?

It's a competition maybe if Colon was unable to play. Other than that, I'm not buying that his starting job was in actual jeopardy.

The only non-veteran that was permitted to start was the #6 overall pick, a no-brainer on its face, and even more so with Richardson suspended (and the only one of the 3 who could fake it as a starting OLB enough to dump even Coples). Even veteran players the team couldn't wait to part with after the season (or even mid-season) - Coples, Davis, Cromartie, Pace - were handed starting jobs like Halloween candy despite poor play. Cromartie was bad during the season but the only thing worse than that was his horrible play over the summer. No matter. He gets the starting job plus excuses on his behalf from the HC.

Watch us waste the cleared space from Mo & Brick to re-sign him later this spring lol. 

Hey now, don't you remember being told that Cro was a savvy vet who knew that he had to take it easy in the summer so he could work his body into shape once the season started? I remember. :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you  don't like the QB you don't take him, if you like him enough you don't fug around you pick him at 20 and don't have this 'oh we can hope he is there in the 2nd round' and then end up taking a worse prospect.  The idea is for us to get a freaking qb.  Take the gamble on a qb with talent.

Yeah I generally would agree, but the problem with that is if he's a bust we are going to give a known project more than just 1 season to start showing something.

What I'm getting at is taking him at #20, even if he's looking like a bust we're going to probably stay away from a 1st or 2nd round QB next year. It's not required, but being realistic you don't typically see teams draft a round 1 project and then give up on him that fast.

Granted, there may not be someone available to us next year who's worth a damn, but know that this is likely the bed that's made when drafting a round 1 QB who we expect to show almost nothing as a rookie. It's a multi-season QB-drafting gamble, not just gambling a single first round pick.

Sometimes I just have to have faith in our scout of a GM and hope he knows the goods when he sees it, and when he's looking at fool's gold.

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's well and good if the player you want is available when you pick or there is a trade partner that allows you to move up to get a player.  Sometimes it doesn't happen, see Favre

There's no doubt to me that you could ruin this kid if you forced him into starting too quickly. He's going to take time. But he's a very promising talent. He has a f*cking cannon for an arm. He made a lot of touch throws and looked good doing it. But he needs to be developed. I would say a minimum of one year getting his feet wet. He is a legitimate draft pick in the late 1st, early 2nd round.

Archived