Paxton Lynch Pro Day assessment

ManCave Analyst

Like many of you Jet Fans I am concerned about our Quarterback situation, so I watched his Pro day just now on the NFL network.  The analysts and I came away with the following:

1. He has worked on his footwork since the combine and has shown improvement  in his drops .

2.  In spite  of a windy day ( 25 mph with occasional 40 mph gust) he was fairly accurate .

3.  Quick release and strong arm and you can see that the ball flies out of his hand , effortless motion. 

He could be still there when we pick 20th, should they make him our pick. Much more talented prospect than Geno and better than the weak armed Ryan Fitz. I would love to have him and Bryce for the next decade.  Wondering if anyone else watched this and wants to share an opinion.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched video of a couple of games and he did not impress me. Every pass was a quick read, quick pass. I rarely saw him go through progressions and finding his 2nd/3rd/4th option. Big red flag. 

He's no more of a prospect than the likes of Hackenburg. Could he be a franchise QB? Yes. Is he enough of a guarantee to take in 1st round? Don't think so. 

I always fall in love with our back up QB's from Browning Nagle to Kellen Clemens so naturally I'm holding out hope for Petty.  

But it'd be foolish to wait idly to see if a spread offense 4th rd pick was the guy so I'm of the opinion that you keep taking QB's until you find one. I'd be fine if they take 6 QB's with all 6 picks. 

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I always fall in love with our back up QB's from Browning Nagle to Kellen Clemens so naturally I'm holding out hope for Petty.  

But it'd be foolish to wait idly to see if a spread offense 4th rd pick was the guy so I'm of the opinion that you keep taking QB's until you find one. I'd be fine if they take 6 QB's with all 6 picks. 

At least that would make some of us older guys go to the open practices!:lol:

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Very strong arm and improved footwork. Hard to tell accuracy when with 24 mph winds and no edge rushers

He's great under pressure.

Paxton is a great QB, he reminds me a lot of Big ben, Paxton may need to sit a year, but who knows? His footwork has already improved so who is to say he can't improve enough by the time week 1 rolls around to be the starter?

I'm sure Lynch looked good but it's impossible to look bad at a
pro day when you're following a "script".  To me Lynch is a project
just like Petty, but he has Flacco type of arm talent with a lot more
athletic ability.  If taken at #20 we wouldn't see him until 2017 at
the earliest

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

pro day when you're following a "script"
.  To me Lynch is a project
the earliest

Except for Teddy Bridgewater.  lol

Paxton Lynch is a raw prospect from a gimmick system who doesn't know how to take a snap from center and can't help the team in 2016. In other words a slightly better Bryce Petty. They already have a Bryce Petty. I just don't see the appeal at least not in rd1. With rd 2? Sure why not. But they need a day 1 starter at 20. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Paxton Lynch is a raw prospect from a gimmick system who doesn't know how to take a snap from center and can't help the team in 2016. In other words a slightly better Bryce Petty. They already have a Bryce Petty. I just don't see the appeal at least not in rd1. With rd 2? Sure why not. But they need a day 1 starter at 20. 

I agree with this.  Notwithstanding needing a QB, at 20 they need a day 1 starter.  That can be an OT that could immediately allow them to cut Breno.  

The Jets appear to be employing a system that does not require a star QB (strong D, strong running game, good receivers).  Until the get a QB, that is probably what the second round pick is for.  

He can't control what he wasn't asked to do. He was a function of his offense at Memphis. Blasting him for that is only something fans on a forum would do. Instead of looking at what he didn't do, you look what he did do... Starting with his numbers over his career. Improvement on an annual basis. Low INTs. Improved accuracy and completions. More wins. You couldn't ask for much more based on what was asked to do.

And this business about comparing him to Petty is laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Like many of you Jet Fans I am concerned about our Quarterback situation, so I watched his Pro day just now on the NFL network.  The analysts and I came away with the following:

1. He has worked on his footwork since the combine and has shown improvement  in his drops .

2.  In spite  of a windy day ( 25 mph with occasional 40 mph gust) he was fairly accurate .

3.  Quick release and strong arm and you can see that the ball flies out of his hand , effortless motion. 

He could be still there when we pick 20th, should they make him our pick. Much more talented prospect than Geno and better than the weak armed Ryan Fitz. I would love to have him and Bryce for the next decade.  Wondering if anyone else watched this and wants to share an opinion.

I didnt watch it, but I seen some twitter feeds showing Jets scouts all over him. Macc aint playin'

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He can't control what he wasn't asked to do. He was a function of his offense at Memphis. Blasting him for that is only something fans on a forum would do. Instead of looking at what he didn't do, you look what he did do... Starting with his numbers over his career. Improvement on an annual basis. Low INTs. Improved accuracy and completions. More wins. You couldn't ask for much more based on what was asked to do.

Agreed lynch looks like he could be a flacco type. If Mac/Bowles/gailey believe they can coach him up you take him at 20 because he's not getting past denver

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Agreed lynch looks like he could be a flacco type. If Mac/Bowles/gailey believe they can coach him up you take him at 20 because he's not getting past denver

i predict he doesn't get past LA.  and i like writing LA for football.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

pro day when you're following a "script".  To me Lynch is a project
the earliest

Pretty sure that's the rationale with bringing back Fitz on a deal we can move on from easily. He's in there until one of the kids with a live arm is fit to be on the field. That's what a stopgap QB is for.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I wasn't a big fan of his when the off-season started, but the more I watched and studied him, the more I fell in love with him.  His pro day was awesome.  I want him real bad. I don't care how they do it, I just want Paxton Lynch to be the guy we groom going forward.

the way his season started and the way it finished, you're lucky i didn't compare him to Geno. At least Petty still has hope. 

I don't know what's more of a joke;

Your insistence on hanging a lantern on a universally perceived 4th Rnd Qb that's struggled mightily

or

the fact that YOU openly admitted you don't know you're talking about when it comes to QBs yet you continue to make sweeping judgements about Paxton and his development.

Sure, whatever Bit?

Hey, if the Jets like him, take him.

I still say a best case scenario is draft him, let him sit a year and learn, while Fitz gives a shot to be decent next year.   You have a team with a 32 year old WR, a 30 year old RB, a 32 year old LT,  you put in a rookie QB, they all know they have no shot.   You play Fitz while the kid learns a year, you could have a good offense in 16, and maybe again in 17 with a young QB. 

I still say a best case scenario is draft him, let him sit a year and learn, while Fitz gives a shot to be decent next year.   You have a team with a 32 year old WR, a 30 year old RB, a 32 year old LT,  you put in a rookie QB, they all know they have no shot.   You play Fitz while the kid learns a year, you could have a good offense in 16, and maybe again in 17 with a young QB. 

So few teams have an opportunity to develop a qb like Lynch - yet here we are with an almost dream like scenario. You resign Fitz, make Geno your back up on Sundays but give the kid the reps during the week. Next year pass the baton and Fitz settles back into a mentor/back up role.

I think it's a no-brainer

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So few teams have an opportunity to develop a qb like Lynch - yet here we are with an almost dream like scenario. You resign Fitz, make Geno your back up on Sundays but give the kid the reps during the week. Next year pass the baton and Fitz settles back into a mentor/back up role.

I truly think a lot of talented QBs are ruined by being thrown out there too fast.  Look at the good ones right now.   Brady, got to sit.  Ben, really protected by the #1 running team.  Rogers, sat.  

Plus, some of the older QBs who did start right off the bat, didn't come out as juniors.   Peyton played his senior year. 

Hey, if you get a Cam Newton, fine, tailor your offense and play him.  But you need to have a 2-14 season to get a shot at him, and you need a QB of that caliber to come out.

I did not watch the Pro Day. But I watched him play in college and I watched some film (highlights, youtube and such). 

He is a definite project. I get that you can;t blame him for coming from a system where they did not use a pro style offense. But that doesn't mean you cannot factor it into evaluating him. He is a big gamble at 20 in the first round. Like 'Jojotownsell' I too did not see him go through progressions- he will need to learn how to do that in the NFL. His escapability and athleticism is great, but he relies on it a ton, and will no be able to do so in the NFL.Great arm and effortless motion, sure, but I don't see how he could possibly have a quick release with that massive windup.

Bottom line, I would not take him with the 20th overall pick. As I suggested in my mock. It's possible that the Jets trade Wilkerson on draft day and acquire a high 2nd round pick. If Lynch is there and they really like him, I could see them pulling the trigger.

This is a weak draft for QBs in general. Wentz is the only one worthy of a 1st round pick, IMO. But even he does not excite me much and I would not take him in the top ten- although its almost guaranteed he will go that high. There are a lot of raw QB prospects that have great potential but are too risky to take in the 1st round, Lynch is one of them.   

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think it's a good idea in theory. Also because it'll be easier to pass the baton after his passing stats from 2015 don't repeat.

Also I don't think I could stomach the baseless claims of the losses that would have been sure wins if only Fitzpatrick was still here. Might as well let people see for sure. I mean, I expect everyone else will get the blame, but at least it'd be shown we'd have still lost.

Hopefully it is a contract that makes it palatable to bench him at any time. I wouldn't mind a $7M backup if he's worth it, and Fitz is worth that as a QB who can step in and start in a pinch. Just concerned it will reach the $12M/year range with enough guaranteed for year 2 that they will just keep him rather than pay him $5M to play elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't understand why people are assuming Fitz will be back...

Its looking more and more like he will NOT be resigned and the Jets will either trade for Hoyer or draft a QB and either way, Geno will probably be the starter. The Jets seem comfortable with that if Fitz doesn't drop his price tag. And even though a lot of Jets fan will cringe at the thought of Geno starting. Lets not forget that he WON the starting gig until he got his jaw broken. Fitz was signed as a backup and when given the opportunity to win the starting gig, couldn't do it. Obviously, the Jets have some faith in Geno, even if they don't see him as the Franchise guy and plan to move on from him next year.  

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't understand why people are assuming Fitz will be back...

Its looking more and more like he will NOT be resigned and the Jets will either trade for Hoyer or draft a QB and either way, Geno will probably be the starter. The Jets seem comfortable with that if Fitz doesn't drop his price tag. And even though a lot of Jets fan will cringe at the thought of Geno starting. Lets not forget that he WON the starting gig until he got his jaw broken. Fitz was signed as a backup and when given the opportunity to win the starting gig, couldn't do it. Obviously, the Jets have some faith in Geno, even if they don't see him as the Franchise guy and plan to move on from him next year.  

Fitz was not given an opportunity to win the starting gig. I'm not even a particularly big fan of Fitzpatrick's and I'll readily acknowledge that.

The job was handed to Geno with no competition. 

If they still had faith in him they wouldn't be making any of these meh offers to Fitzpatrick at all. They know Fitz isn't a franchise QB either, so why offer him $7M (unofficially they'd go to $9M)? 

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't know what's more of a joke;

Your insistence on hanging a lantern on a universally perceived 4th Rnd Qb that's struggled mightily

or

the fact that YOU openly admitted you don't know you're talking about when it comes to QBs yet you continue to make sweeping judgements about Paxton and his development.

Sure, whatever Bit?

How can Petty have struggled mightily if he's never gotten any real snaps? 

As for Paxton what do you think, that he will help the Jets day 1? he can't even take a snap from center right now. I don't have to be Bill Walsh to know he's multiple years away. I'm not comfortable evaluating Qbs but I do know the value of players. Lynch could be there in rd 2, that's how raw he is. 20 is too early. It's not that I dislike the player as much as I dislike the value. Projects shouldn't go in rd 1. At least not with this team who only has 6 picks. 

and the best part of this is that neither you nor I will make this pick. The guys who will make this pick took a DT even though they had 2 other studs because he was BPA. They aren't reaching on Paxton Lynch, no matter how much you want them to. 

Archived