Bart Scott Tells The Truth About Fitz

KRL

Total truth here:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/bart_scott_jets_ryan_fitzpatrick.html#incart_river_index

Bart Scott, the outspoken former Jets linebacker, ripped quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick during a recent interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio

Scott, now a CBS analyst, went after Fitzpatrick, who thrived as a starter for the 10-6 Jets last season, but currently remains unsigned. 

Two months after free agency began, the Jets (just like other quarterback-needy teams) haven't been willing to meet Fitzpatrick's contract demands. 

Fitzpatrick, 33, is clearly in the latter stages of his career, so he isn't the quarterback of the future for anybody. Which is why teams are wary of giving him big money. 

Scott pointed that out in his remarks to SiriusXM NFL Radio, which you can listen to down below: 

"Fitz don't have a leg to stand on, man. He is who he is. You can have great teams and great records, but at this point, pretty much everybody knows who he is. He's a quality guy. On another 20 teams in the league, he would be a backup. The only teams that he would start for are the teams that have bad quarterback situations. He's a bridge guy, a glue guy.

"OK, he wants $15 [million] because [Brock] Osweiler [got big money from Houston]. But [Osweiler] hasn't reached his ceiling yet. They're paying for his potential, what he might be able to become. It's all downhill right now for Fitz. They're surrounding him with tremendous talent. You can't get your feelings hurt. This is business. Whoever his agent is [Jimmy Sexton] has to understand that this is the market. He's [Brian] Hoyer. That's who you are. Accept it.

"You made a lot of money in this league [about $39 million total]. Now you can either try and play hardball and not have a team, [or have] a tremendous situation, to really change the trajectory of your career, so people can change the narrative about what they feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick as a quarterback. He has an opportunity to do that. But it ain't about the money no more.

"All these people are tripping about money and respect. Man, come on, man. It's a lot of people out there that are underpaid and there are a lot of people that are overpaid. You had your opportunity when you had your leverage in Buffalo [from 2009-12]. You got paid, you took advantage of it. You don't get to cash in twice, bro. It's only 32 jobs. If you don't take it, somebody will. One thing I know about the NFL is they will turn the page and move on." 

Scott, ever bombastic, actually raises a lot of reasonable points here.

Look, nobody is begrudging Fitzpatrick for wanting one more big contract before he retires. (OK, maybe Scott is sort of begrudging him.) But if no team is willing to pay that money, what's the point of continuing to demand it? Fitzpatrick could always retire, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

He is coming off a career year (31 touchdowns and 15 interceptions), but on a whole, he hasn't been an elite quarterback during his career. And he is 33.

So it's not a matter of the Jets disrespecting Fitzpatrick by offering him less than what he wants, as Scott said. Why should they pay him what he wants if no other team is going to match that higher offer? It wouldn't make good business sense. 

The Jets do want Fitzpatrick back (at the right price), and it's easy to understand why. He mostly performed well last season. His top wide receivers, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, love playing with him. And the Jets' current quarterbacks are Geno Smith (failed starter), Bryce Petty (second-year pro), and Christian Hackenberg (rookie). 

Maybe Hackenberg will develop into the Jets' future starting quarterback, but he's not that right now. So it would behoove the Jets to let the kid sit and learn from a veteran like Fitzpatrick in 2016 — if, that is, the Jets are able to re-sign Fitzpatrick.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% correct. The market has spoken in regards to Fitz. What the Jets are offering is the best offer Fitz is going to get. I don't care if the Jets get him back a this point anyway. Regardless of who plays QB, this team is not any better than a 6 win team right now....

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well duh.

There are plenty here who won't agree and don't believe any of this.  Who actually think it's an insult to offer Fitz 8-10 mil.

there will be some who tell Scott to just STFU.

Spot on.  At this point the Jets would have more justifiable reason to lower their offer to Fitz than raise it any, considering the interest of others has clearly declined, if not completely disappeared.  At this point, there's no other team in the league who will offer him more than backup money.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There are plenty here who won't agree and don't believe any of this.  Who actually think it's an insult to offer Fitz 8-10 mil.

Who here has claimed it is an insult to offer Fitz "only" 8M-10M?

Not saying it didn't happen I just do not remember seeing such a position.  Ever. 

Bart Scott is 100% right, and that's why I've just about given up on Geno.

Geno was healthy by week three but still couldn't unseat Fitz.

Making matters worse, Fitz isn't even under contract, yet the HC has told the world he's slated to start over Geno in 2016.

If you're getting beat out by a guy who would be a back up on 20 other teams, it says you're a third-stringer for 20 other teams.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Making matters worse, Fitz isn't even under contract, yet the HC has told the world he's slated to start over Geno in 2016.

If you're getting beat out by a guy who would be a back up on 20 other teams, it says you're a third-stringer for 20 other teams.

QFT

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I would argue that he is not a 3rd stringer for 20 other teams.

He would either never make the roster of any other team or... if he cures quite a few of his issues he might be good enough to be a #1 or #2

It is this x-factor that many of his most dogged supporters cling to in my opinion.

I do not think he will able to do that (cure his issues) but there is still an "unknown commodity" component to his evaluation which is not true for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

I would argue that he is not a 3rd stringer for 20 other teams.

He would either never make the roster of any other team or... if he cures quite a few of his issues he might be good enough to be a #1 or #2

It is this x-factor that many of his most dogged supporters cling to in my opinion.

I do not think he will able to do that (cure his issues) but there is still an "unknown commodity" component to his evaluation which is not true for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Geno will be signed fairly quickly after we release him after we re-sign Fitz.

Basically encompasses everyone's feelings on the subject who isn't Fitz and Sexton. 

Well said sir. The best part of the article is when Bart says, with the talent around him now, Fitz has a chance to change the narrative of his career from perennial loser who was never worth the big contract he cashed out on, to something more respected. He's already rich and can retire tomorrow, if he cares about winning and career legacy, man up and sign. 

Right now Fitz sounds like the ugly girl complainging about her boyfriend when no one else wants to f.uck her. Beggers can't be choosers. 

Bart is buddies likely with Mangold and perhaps others who would need to give money back to sign Fitzpatrick for more than he deserves, so he is sticking up for him.

I think the primary conflict here is between Fitz/Sexton and Woody Johnson.  They are playing Woody for the Showman that he is.  They know that deepdown Woody does not have the stomach to put a bad team on the field that is going to get him bad press and empty seats and parking spots, even if that is in the best interests of the team as a whole.

Fitz is waiting for Woody to fold to salvage this year's entertainment value and screw over his teammates and the team's future.  Woody needs to show the fan base that he is trying to win a Super Bowl in our lifetimes.  Paying Fitz too much money does not do that.  One can argue that paying Fitz anything over the available cap space does not do that either, but I think there are fair adjustments that can be made so that the team can continue to develop and the young quarterbacks can get a quality mentor.  But at over $8mm, those benefits are counterproductive to what should be the Jets' long-term objectives.  I think the MacC feels that way, but Woody....

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Plenty?  I think you are dreaming in fiction technicolor.  Almost no one thinks that.  Even the people that like Fitz and want him back like myself don't think that.

The Jets have been totally correct in taking their stance.

Fitzpatrick is totally correct in taking his stance. 

Thus no agreement and maybe never an agreement.

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Good points. Also, don't want to forget that not only was Geno healthy and unable to unseat Fitz from week 3 on, but that Fitz was injured and required surgery while Geno got to play, and still, Geno was unable to unseat Fitz.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Good points. Also, don't want to forget that not only was Geno healthy and unable to unseat Fitz from week 3 on, but that Fitz was injured and required surgery while Geno got to play, and still, Geno was unable to unseat Fitz.  

Meh, you guys are looking way to much into Bowles going with Fitz.  They were 3-1 going into the bye.  Even Bowles said, if they're wining, they're keeping Fitz in there.  And they were, so they did.  He was a 1st year HC, of course he wasnt going to fix what wasnt broken. 

Their true colors are shining through right and it has nothing to do with Geno.  Geno was their guy till he wasnt.  Now what?  

1 minute ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

isnt Bart a secret double agent and good buddy to Rex? 

Maybe, now I know this is a mega-reach lol, Rex fears Geno and wants Fitz back. Rex sent Bart out to talk some sense into Fitz.

It is possible Rex is a buffoon right?

Yes Rex is scared. He knows there's no way he can beat Geno Smith. Makes perfect sense now. 

Woody is on public record that he wants fitz. Marshall and Decker and Mangold love him.  That's why Macc is twisting in the wind with his "please let me know when you are ready to come home" offer.  

Who knows, maybe fitz just wants to skip the dog days of camp a LA strahan

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody is on public record that he wants fitz. Marshall and Decker and Mangold love him.  That's why Macc is twisting in the wind with his "please let me know when you are ready to come home" offer.  

Who knows, maybe fitz just wants to skip the dog days of camp a LA strahan

Farve was the best at skipping camp..B)

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, you guys are looking way to much into Bowles going with Fitz.  They were 3-1 going into the bye.  Even Bowles said, if they're wining, they're keeping Fitz in there.  And they were, so they did.  He was a 1st year HC, of course he wasnt going to fix what wasnt broken. 

Their true colors are shining through right and it has nothing to do with Geno.  Geno was their guy till he wasnt.  Now what?  

What was Bowles' exact quote?

What was their record when Geno was cleared to play?

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Being cleared to play and being ready to play are two different things. Geno missed the entire preseason, so you don't go back to him if things are close to equal.

You also don't give Fitz 10 - 15 million dollars if things are anything close to equal. Which they are.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

“If the other guys is playing well and the boat is going right and we’re winning games and the team is 4-, 5-, 6-, or 7-0, yeah, you’re not going to come back to start,” Bowles said. “You can lose your job because of injury. You can lose your job because of a lot of things, but that’s something we’ll talk about once we get to that point.

They might not have been undefeated but the boat was going right and they were winning games.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Being cleared to play and being ready to play are two different things. Geno missed the entire preseason, so you don't go back to him if things are close to equal.

You also don't give Fitz 10 - 15 million dollars if things are anything close to equal. Which they are.

It wasnt the entire preseason but it was a few weeks.  Fitz knew the offense already.  Geno was still learning it.  Him getting injured elongated the learning curve.

And I think your last point is the biggest.  They were fine with Geno last year and they seem perfectly fine with him this year too.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

“If the other guys is playing well and the boat is going right and we’re winning games and the team is 4-, 5-, 6-, or 7-0, yeah, you’re not going to come back to start,” Bowles said. “You can lose your job because of injury. You can lose your job because of a lot of things, but that’s something we’ll talk about once we get to that point.

They might not have been undefeated but the boat was going right and they were winning games.

It wasnt the entire preseason but it was a few weeks.  Fitz knew the offense already.  Geno was still learning it.  Him getting injured elongated the learning curve.

And I think your last point is the biggest.  They were fine with Geno last year and they seem perfectly fine with him this year too.

I meant the preseason games. Geno didn't play in any of the preseason games. So no way you are going to put him back out there unless you absolutely have to.

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes, he missed the pre-season, so he didn't make the 15-20 passes a starting QB makes in the 2 1/2 exhibition games that are generally used for a veteran to shake off the cobwebs.  An actual starting NFL QB doesn't lose his job because he missed the pre-season.

Also, IIRC, he was in uniform and active for week three.  Why have him suited up and active if he wasn't ready to play?

Archived