Jets' Brandon Marshall says he won't 'steal' money late in career

Gas2No99

Jets' Brandon Marshall says he won't 'steal' money late in career

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall has two years left on his contract, which expires after the 2017 season. Following that season, in the spring of 2018, he will turn 34. 

Does Marshall see himself playing beyond the end of his current contract? 

"If they gave me a contract, they can always give me one more," Marshall joked after Wednesday's organized team activities practice. "Nah, I don't like to steal, man." 

But then Marshall seriously (and briefly) answered the initial question. He said "yeah," he could see himself playing beyond 2017, though he added, "We'll see." 

So that's not really a definitive answer, which is fine. Marshall has a while before he must think about what he'll do after 2017. 

But back to the part about Marshall not liking to "steal." What did he mean? 

"Some players, they know they don't got it anymore and their heart is not in it, and they still take the money," Marshall said. "That's taking advantage of your team. I get that it's a business and get everything you want, but you've still got to hold yourself accountable and be accountable to your teammates. When I no longer have it, I'll walk away." 

Marshall is preparing for Year 11, and his second season with the Jets. He thrived last year, but he still has never reached the playoffs. How much does he think he has left, at this point?

"I don't know," he said. "I just know that I still love it. It is tough when you've never been to the playoffs, and you've just got to have mental toughness to continue to pick yourself up and fight. The hard part, when you get older, it's all mental. It's not about: Can you still do it?

"It takes longer to warm up. You have to go through an extensive process to recover. And it's the guys that commit to that process, are the ones that are able to go from playing at a high level at 30, into their mid-30s, and even in their late 30s. So that's what I'm understanding now. 

"But God has blessed me to be 6-5, 230 pounds, so even when I can't run anymore, I can be a red-zone threat. I know that's worth something. Touchdowns are worth a lot of money. So maybe that's my plan when I hit my mid-30s, is to come in in the red zone." 

After last season, Marshall said he wanted to take more time away from his offseason workout routine than usual, so he could feel physically and mentally fresh late in the 2016 season. On Wednesday, Marshall indicated that was at least part of the reason why he skipped Week 1 of the Jets' voluntary OTAs. 

"There's a big story now about: Where's Brandon?" Marshall said. "It's just part of the process of being able to get myself in a place where I'm there in December, January. That's what it's about. You've got to be there mentally [at that time of the season]." 

Marshall had previously declined to say if he skipped Week 1 of OTAs as a show of support for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was involved in a contract standoff with the Jets. Marshall did not specify when he skipped those practices. 

Marshall is a receiver that can use his size and body to make his plays. He isn't overly fast and doesn't rely on his speed to get open. That type of receiver can play longer than an Andre Johnson or someone whose speed is their go to. He wouldn't be stealing money for quite some time. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Marshall is a receiver that can use his size and body to make his plays. He isn't overly fast and doesn't rely on his speed to get open. That type of receiver can play longer than an Andre Johnson or someone whose speed is their go to. He wouldn't be stealing money for quite some time. 

running a 4.52 40 at 230 lbs IMO is not slow

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Andre Johnson was 6'3 230, so your claim that he's a WR dependent on speed is wrong as usual. why not make the case that steve smith uses his size to make plays too? :lol:

That's because Marshall has never had to steal from anyone. His talent has always been on full display. He's made several otherwise very ordinary QB's into very good ones. What he paved the way for Fitz to do last season is just the latest example. Marshall is 100% worth the money he's getting on his current contract and the Jets would be crazy not to sign him to another one. He is of paramount importance to this fledgling offense.

32 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

That's because Marshall has never had to steal from anyone. His talent has always been on full display. He's made several otherwise very ordinary QB's into very good ones. What he paved the way for Fitz to do last season is just the latest example. Marshall is 100% worth the money he's getting on his current contract and the Jets would be crazy not to sign him to another one. He is of paramount importance to this fledgling offense.

Exactly! Fitz pulled a Josh McCown last year. Remember how good McCown looked throwing to Marshall, Jeffery & Forte? Then he left & sucked again! People have to stop this BS about Fitz. It's about the surrounding cast with mediocre QBs. Fitz isn't any better than Josh McCown, in fact McCown has a stronger arm. That's why there is absolutely no Jet fan on this board who knows exactly how good Geno can be throwing to these guys. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good thing that when Hackenburg is ready to play we will have an aging Decker, no more Marshall, a new oline and an older than dirt RB group.

No worries though we drafted Shell and Charone Peake.

I think the Jets will be taking a receiver or lineman in the first, with Marshall getting more and more into broadcasting and Decker seeming like the kind of guy that would retire after this next contract, not to mention Mangold starting to regress and Clady pushing 31, the Jets will need to take one of these position groups next year.

but knowing the jets they will draft a defensive lineman 

For an encore, Jets' Brandon Marshall can try to pull a Jerry Rice

Brandon Marshall hedged last week when asked if he intends to continue playing after his current contract expires, which is after the 2017 season. He was coy with reporters, see-sawing on the subject.

Finally, he said, "When I no longer have it, I'll walk away."

Marshall had it last season, as he re-wrote the New York Jets' record book for wide receivers. He set franchise marks for receptions (109) and receiving yards (1,502).

Now he's 32 years old, and it's fair to wonder, "Can he do it again?"

Put it this way: If he does, he'd put himself in elite company. The only wide receiver in NFL history to reach the 1,500-yard plateau at the age of 32 or older is Jerry Rice. He did it at 33, amassing 1,848 yards for the San Francisco 49ers in 1995.

What about another 100-catch season? It's possible, but still highly unlikely. In the 32-and-up category, it has happened only 10 times, including three by -- who else? -- Rice. Larry Fitzgerald did it last season at the age of 32, finishing with 109 catches.

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, Marshall will go to Canton, Ohio, on roller skates if he knocks out another 100-catch, 1,500-yard season.

Like many players his age, Marshall knows how to take care of his body. He said he doesn't know how much he has left, but he still loves the game.

"It's tough when you've never been to the playoffs and you've just got to have mental toughness to continue to pick yourself up and fight," he said. "The hard part, when you get older, it's all mental. It's not about: 'Can you still do it?'

"It takes longer to warm up. You have to go through an extensive process to recover. It's the guys that commit to that process [who] are the ones that are able to go from playing at a high level at 30, into their mid-30s, and even in their late 30s. So that's what I'm understanding now.

"But God has blessed me to be 6-[foot-]5, 230 pounds, so even when I can't run anymore, I can be a red zone threat. I know that's worth something. Touchdowns are worth a lot of money. So maybe that's my plan when I hit my mid-30s, is to come in in the red zone."

Marshall is due to make $9.5 million this season, which puts him 10th among wideouts. He's scheduled to make another $7.5 million in 2017. He joked, "They can always give me one more [contract]."

Most athletes find it hard to walk away on their own terms; D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a rarity. Marshall insisted he won't stick around just to cash a check.

"I don't like to steal, man," he said.

He added: "Some players, they know they don't got it anymore and their heart is not in it, and they still take the money. That's taking advantage of your team. I get that it's a business and get everything you want, but you've still got to hold yourself accountable and be accountable to your teammates."

On June 6, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Beerfish said:

Good thing that when Hackenburg is ready to play we will have an aging Decker, no more Marshall, a new oline and an older than dirt RB group.

I'll bet anything right now that Hackenberg has Marshall on the roster when he get his chance. 

On June 6, 2016 at 0:29 PM, Jetster said:

Exactly! Fitz pulled a Josh McCown last year. Remember how good McCown looked throwing to Marshall, Jeffery & Forte? Then he left & sucked again! People have to stop this BS about Fitz. It's about the surrounding cast with mediocre QBs. Fitz isn't any better than Josh McCown, in fact McCown has a stronger arm. That's why there is absolutely no Jet fan on this board who knows exactly how good Geno can be throwing to these guys. 

We do know how bad he is though

On 6/6/2016 at 0:55 PM, Beerfish said:

The Jet way.  

No weaponzzz?  Throw the young QB in. 

Plenty of weaponzzz?  Waste it on old mediocrity.

At least when/if Hack gets his chance, he'll have spent some time learning.

On June 6, 2016 at 0:00 PM, faba said:

He will go into broadcasting full time sooner than later

He is the rare bread of WR who can play a good amount longer than most. When the speed goes for a WR most are history. Marshall has height and strength that isn't going anywhere. Why when you have a off target qb throwing to Marshall he is going to make the grabs most WRs cannot 

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is the rare bread of WR who can play a good amount longer than most. When the speed goes for a WR most are history. Marshall has height and strength that isn't going anywhere. Why when you have a off target qb throwing to Marshall he is going to make the grabs most WRs cannot 

And then he will drag 3 guys into the endzone with him. 

13 hours ago, SenorGato said:

He's working in his own interest, but I hate how much of a kiss ass Marshall seems to have become. 

Disagree. 

I feel like I can relate to his "newfound" attitude with his mental health stuff... He's elevated to a new plane and I think he's being very genuine about what he said. 

My favorite Jet, maybe ever for a few reasons. Along with Kris Jenkins. Those guys are Jets to the core. I appreciate his enlightened outlook. Very glad to see his transformation if you will. And he brings a serious attitude (like KJ). He's no BS, tell it like he feels it, and he's on another level in the "spiritual" sense now that he's understanding what's going on in his body and mind. People just aren't used to that kind of thing, especially from successful people and especially from athletes. You don't see that much. 

Most people will never understand what I'm talking about and never will. Not sure if I envy or pity those kind of people. But I hope he's around for several more years. And I believe he does too. Until his mind isn't in it. Dude is in tune. I'm very happy for him. And extremely happy he's on the Jets. We desperately have been needing someone exactly like him. Fkin kudos to Mac for that BRILLIANT move! Nobody else even had that in mind. And I think Forte is gonna be another massive savvy move just like that. We'll see. Either way, both of those guys will make whatever QB we have look a lot better than they normally would be. 

6 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Disagree. 

I feel like I can relate to his "newfound" attitude with his mental health stuff... He's elevated to a new plane and I think he's being very genuine about what he said. 

My favorite Jet, maybe ever for a few reasons. Along with Kris Jenkins. Those guys are Jets to the core. I appreciate his enlightened outlook. Very glad to see his transformation if you will. And he brings a serious attitude (like KJ). He's no BS, tell it like he feels it, and he's on another level in the "spiritual" sense now that he's understanding what's going on in his body and mind. People just aren't used to that kind of thing, especially from successful people and especially from athletes. You don't see that much. 

Most people will never understand what I'm talking about and never will. Not sure if I envy or pity those kind of people. But I hope he's around for several more years. And I believe he does too. Until his mind isn't in it. Dude is in tune. I'm very happy for him. And extremely happy he's on the Jets. We desperately have been needing someone exactly like him. Fkin kudos to Mac for that BRILLIANT move! Nobody else even had that in mind. And I think Forte is gonna be another massive savvy move just like that. We'll see. Either way, both of those guys will make whatever QB we have look a lot better than they normally would be. 

I hear you . Brandon is really special and unfortunately people on this forum like to be cynical, attributing to him all kinds ulterior motives when he says something. The guy is so genuine and a pleasure to have on our squad, both as a person and player. I recall that thank you to the jet staff video he did last year...

Archived