Jalin Marshall aims to impress Ryan Fitzpatrick, make Jets' roster

Gas2No99

The New York Jets mini camp, 6-15-16

Jalin Marshall is trying to make the Jets' roster. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — After a recent Jets training camp practice, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick spoke glowingly about rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall.

Fitzpatrick mentioned how the kid asked detailed, cerebral questions. Fitzpatrick said it sounded like Marshall was a former quarterback. 

When informed of this, Marshall smiled.

"I didn't know he knew that," Marshall told NJ Advance Media. "I didn't tell him that I played quarterback in high school.

Through five practices, Marshall has made a positive impression. He looked like an intriguing prospect in spring practices, after the Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State. Now, he is pushing to make the team. 

Marshall would factor in primarily as a punt returner. He returned punts the past two seasons at Ohio State. But with second-year receiver Devin Smith still recovering from a torn ACL that he sustained in December, there likely will be an extra receiver spot available on the Jets' Week 1 roster. 

The top four spots appear taken: Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, and Kenbrell Thompkins. Jalin Marshall is competing for that fifth spot with guys like Jeremy Ross and rookie seventh-round pick Charone Peake. Ross also is a leading contender to return punts and kickoffs.

Marshall knows an important part of impressing the Jets is getting Fitzpatrick to trust him. So Marshall peppers Fitzpatrick with questions about "certain routes, where he wants me to be at, who is he looking at," said Marshall. 

Picking Fitzpatrick's brain is valuable time for Marshall. 

"I make an effort to show him that I want to be here, and show him that I can do whatever I can to help the team win," Marshall said. 

The Jets have aligned Marshall all over the field, at all three receiver positions. 

"I made myself learn the playbook and learn every position," he said. 

Returning punts, though, is just as important for him. Probably more so. He spent a lot of time honing his punt catching technique leading up to camp. 

"I got significantly better at just focusing on looking the ball in, and catching every punt I can," he said. 

Marshall seems encouraged by his strong early start, though he knows much work remains.

"I think if I keep showing that I want to be here, and I love being here, and that I want to win, we'll be all right," he said. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com

I called it and am calling it again. He'll be put up the 3rd best #s by a Jets WR this season 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

The New York Jets mini camp, 6-15-16

Jalin Marshall is trying to make the Jets' roster. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — After a recent Jets training camp practice, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick spoke glowingly about rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall.

Fitzpatrick mentioned how the kid asked detailed, cerebral questions. Fitzpatrick said it sounded like Marshall was a former quarterback. 

When informed of this, Marshall smiled.

"I didn't know he knew that," Marshall told NJ Advance Media. "I didn't tell him that I played quarterback in high school.

Through five practices, Marshall has made a positive impression. He looked like an intriguing prospect in spring practices, after the Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State. Now, he is pushing to make the team. 

Marshall would factor in primarily as a punt returner. He returned punts the past two seasons at Ohio State. But with second-year receiver Devin Smith still recovering from a torn ACL that he sustained in December, there likely will be an extra receiver spot available on the Jets' Week 1 roster. 

The top four spots appear taken: Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, and Kenbrell Thompkins. Jalin Marshall is competing for that fifth spot with guys like Jeremy Ross and rookie seventh-round pick Charone Peake. Ross also is a leading contender to return punts and kickoffs.

Marshall knows an important part of impressing the Jets is getting Fitzpatrick to trust him. So Marshall peppers Fitzpatrick with questions about "certain routes, where he wants me to be at, who is he looking at," said Marshall. 

Picking Fitzpatrick's brain is valuable time for Marshall. 

"I make an effort to show him that I want to be here, and show him that I can do whatever I can to help the team win," Marshall said. 

The Jets have aligned Marshall all over the field, at all three receiver positions. 

"I made myself learn the playbook and learn every position," he said. 

Returning punts, though, is just as important for him. Probably more so. He spent a lot of time honing his punt catching technique leading up to camp. 

"I got significantly better at just focusing on looking the ball in, and catching every punt I can," he said. 

Marshall seems encouraged by his strong early start, though he knows much work remains.

"I think if I keep showing that I want to be here, and I love being here, and that I want to win, we'll be all right," he said. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com

I called it and am calling it again. He'll be put up the 3rd best #s by a Jets WR this season 

i really think they love enunwa, but there is definitely a roll for jalin in this offense.  

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Wondering the same thing... either way, glad he's a Jet and hope he can parlay this great practice-buzz into game impact.

converted qb who didn't get a lot of passes on talented OSU team - and his 40 wasn't great either.  yet braxton miller goes in the 2nd.

2016 - Braxton Miller, Michael Thomas

2015 - Devin Smith, Evan Spencer

This is the case of a player leaving for the draft early which knocks you down a bit but also being on a stacked team and being behind other NFL quality players.

Hidden gems are often found by taking guys who didn't put up eye opening numbers in college just because they stuck with a good team and were behind bigger name players.

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

stupid question:  why wasn't he drafted?

Bad measureables. 4.6 is a great time for a linebacker not a WR. Also hurts him is a lack of height. most teams and the Jets especially want WR over 6 feet tall 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bad measureables. 4.6 is a great time for a linebacker not a WR. Also hurts him is a lack of height. most teams and the Jets especially want WR over 6 feet tall 

i would have thought he'd be worth a 7th rounder just based on his punt return ability alone.  

After NFL draft diss, rookie WR proving a threat for Jets

Confidence isn’t a problem for Jalin Marshall. He’s got plenty of it, believing he belongs so much and talking so frequently about how he wants to help the Jets, it would seem he has no worries about making the team.

That’s why he left Ohio State following his red-shirt sophomore year. He felt he was ready for the NFL. But perhaps that’s why the draft was so important for the shifty and speedy wide receiver. 

Nobody selected him. 

“I think it was good for me,” Marshall said following practice Wednesday. “It allowed me to open my eyes, show me I got a long way to go. Ohio State, winning program, you feel like you’ve done something, but you get a reality check.” 

The Jets called the 5-foot-10 Marshall during the fifth round. They wanted to bring him in as an undrafted free agent if he wasn’t selected. By the time the draft ended, Marshall was already a Jet, joining former Buckeyes teammates Darron Lee and Devin Smith.

In the early going of training camp, Marshall has shown, perhaps, he should have been selected. He hasn’t been treated like an undrafted free agent, getting first-team reps through the first six practices of training camp while also getting an extended look as a punt and kick returner. The torn ACL Smith suffered last December could help Marshall make the team, as the fifth receiver behind Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Kenbrell Thompkins and Quincy Enunwa.

“I feel like every day you got to come out here and prove you belong, prove you can help the team win,” Marshall said. “Everybody belongs here, but not everybody can help the team win. That’s something I would like to continue to prove.” 

Still, coach Todd Bowles didn’t want to get carried away. For as well as Marshall has performed in the early going of training camp, it’s still only a handful of practices. He want to see what the rookie can do when the games begin. 

[We] got to see him when the lights come on,” Bowles said. “He’s done some good things in practice so far. When the lights come on, some people shy away, some people step up. I’ll be eager to see him when we start playing [games].” 

Marshall smiled when told of Bowles’ comment. At Ohio State, the lights are always on, he said. Marshall played big in some of the Buckeyes’ biggest games — he was a focal part of their 2014 national championship — and produced 13 touchdowns in two seasons while averaging 13.2 yards per catch and 37 receptions a season. 

“I’ll keep working hard, and next week when they do turn the lights on,” he said, “I’ll be prepared to put on a show and prove myself. 

“I think of all this as a dream come true, a blessing to me. Not everybody gets this opportunity, whether being drafted or undrafted. You still got to make the most of it.” 

No matter what happens, Marshall doesn’t plan on forgetting the slights, how the entire league passed on him, all the criticism he heard for leaving school with years of eligibility left. 

I left school early, didn’t get drafted. A lot of people didn’t think I was going to make it. A lot of people didn’t think I would be here today,” he said. “So that’s just motivation to me, help this team win, and do the best I can be on this field.

“I got a chip on my shoulder. Everybody knows that.

Hell yeah!!!! I called it, this Kid will BALL and surprise as our #3 WR. LOVE his bitterness on being slighted and COS attitude will be fun to watch this year. WE GOT A PLAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!

He really reminds me of a poor man's version of Julian Edleman.  I know, Jet fans, for years have been saying that about Kerley, but Kerley wasn't really a slot guy.  He was an outside WR in the body of a slot WR.  I did some scouting on him for an article, but figured it's easier to wait until pre-season and highlight the new weapons on the team.  

Edleman was a bit faster, but similar size, similar agility scores, and both were converted QBs.  What jumps out on film is they both have this innate ability to make the first tackler miss, which was something I always hated about Edleman because it would seem as if we had someone to take him down, and then he'd just go the other way.   Kerley never had that elusive nature about him, especially on punt returns.  

Just some notes from watching some film:

-Ohio State might as well had Elliot run the wildcat half the time, because JT Barret almost never passed.  It was run, run, run, have a one option pass play that turned into run if that was covered, and then run, run, and run.  It makes sense that Ohio State went on the run for national championship two years ago with the late move to Cordale Jones, because his game is completely different than Barret or Miller.  I believe a team like Alabama with a world class RB and known penchant to run behind the massive O-line threw about 150 more passes last year than Ohio State.

-The team was loaded with targets, which helps explain some of the low numbers for Marshall.   

-Cardale Jones struggles with accuracy, part of the reason why he was benched.  He throws a very good deep pass, but is absolutely horrible at the medium range passes.  You often see WRs having to make big adjustments on throws to catch the ball.  

-Very good ability to make the first man miss, it was rare to see Marshall go down to the first guy

-On punt returns, did a very good job of splitting the coverage.  Instead of running sideline to sideline like Kerley and getting tackled, Marshall showed an ability to cut inbetween two defenders.  This is extremely important on punt returns, because the punt cover team can't fixate towards one direction.  By splitting the coverage, the runner has the option to go left or right afterwards, slowing down pursuit.  Kerley on the other hand would try to run for clear pastures, which allowed the entire cover team to converge towards one area.

-Marshall plays faster than his speed, but he's no speed demon.  He wins routes (and punt returns) with his ability to run good routes and elusiveness in the open field.  One of the few things Ohio State did repeatedly, was run the double move on safeties with their slot guys.  This works especially well for such a run oriented team because the LBs are playing up.  With Decker/Marshall, I see Jalin having the ability to exploit it.  On the other hand, I see pretty much anyone on the roster with speed having the ability to exploit this.  

As a prospect, I like Charon Peake better, because I think he has a better skill-set.  However, Marshall is a classical grind it out guy that produces when you need him to, and is an asset on the punt return teams.  As of now, I expect both Peake and Marshall to make the team.  

Watching his punt return skills and the other intangibles that he brings to the game he would be a nice addition to our roster.  I believe this roster looks different next year on offense including the wr position with young players.  This would be a good year to let this guy learn and contribute:

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.6? Lol.

We just might see Jalin run that play where he starts out in the slot & runs horizontically behind Fitz. Will Fitz pitch it, fake it? That's a killer play when the defense has to stay honest & check Marshal & Decker.

The Pats run that play with Edelman a lot & it's really a great play when you have the defense spread out & playing on their heels.

Good prospect for the future so far. Plus we desperately needed a special teams threat. Marshall, Ross,  Peake could really help out with returns. Our special teams were awful last year. New coach, new punter, and return threats are a great upgrade in a much needed area.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Neither was no 80, sh@t happens it's a crap shot, and we may have won one?

I agree and was about to point that out too. Wayne Chrebet was slow on the stopwatch too.  Thank goodness Rich Kotite wanted to do a favor for the Hofstra head coach and invited Chrebet to camp.

It seems like every year we have a guy like this in training camp who looks great and the fans love. It would be something if in the long run he beats out his ex-OSU teammate Devin Smith for the no. 3 Wr job. He's sure getting a lot of buzz so far. 

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.6? Lol.

Jerry Rice was 6'2" and broke every NCAA receiving record at the time. 

By the way, those calling him a poor man's Julian Edelman should note that he was a late 7th rounder (232 overall) and even he had outstanding short shuttle of 3.91 (which would have been best at his position if he was invited to the combine) 

Yes he has value as a punt returner but those players don't impact the game very much, they play basically 1 down and if they can get above 7 yards on a PR it's a great job. None of this is to say he stinks, just putting the "why wasn't he drafted" questions into context. You can be short and fast or tall and slow but short and slow isn't a recipe for draft value.  

Jalin has game changing abilities when we speak of special teams.  The JETS will make the mistake of releasing him and just like woodhead, belichek and the patriots will find magic for him to do.  He may be short but guys like that have that football thing about them and they just play. And YES I think he is better than Devin Smith.

Last year I predicted that Lorenzo Mauldin would be a fan-favorite before seasons end. This year, I'm going with Jalin Marshall. Initially, I thought Jordan Jenkins, of all of the new additions, could be the guy... but it seems cheesy to pick another 3rd round LBer for this designation, and a little too easy. Jalin, as an UDFA, could help re-invent our special teams, does the dirty work as a depth WR, and be that guy who pops a big/clutch play every couple of weeks that endears him to fans.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

$$$?

Yeah I don't think so. One more year in school and a chance to feature maybe he gets drafted. That's much more in the long run than being an UFA. He probably just hated the coaches or something. Oh well, maybe the Jets lucked out.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I don't think so. One more year in school and a chance to feature maybe he gets drafted. That's much more in the long run than being an UFA. He probably just hated the coaches or something. Oh well, maybe the Jets lucked out.

Lots of times when these kids come out this early (red-shirt sophomore.) It's academic reasons 

On 8/3/2016 at 11:46 AM, Gas2No99 said:

Kenbrell Thompkins a near lock for the 4th spot? That seems very optimistic. He made a few catches last year, had a very significant impactful drop in the week 17, I haven't heard anything particularly impressive about him in camp so far (though I mayhave missed it). I would think that spot would be more up for grabs. 

Gotta see Jalin Marshall in pads a bit more but looks good so far.  To me a rookie to watch is RB #35 Dominique Williams...he really flashed Wednesday scoring a couple TDs in 11 on 11s.....including one where he ran over Darron Lee to get into the end zone.

Archived