KRL

Painful game to watch but let's take a look as the pre-season closes 

Special Teams

- One bad flashback to 2015 with the punt return TD, but other than that
the coverage units continue to look improved

- With a horrid offensive performance Lachlan Edwards got quite a workout
and was outstanding.  Fantastic upgrade over Ryan Quigley

Defense

- Ended the pre-season on a high note, creating almost as many turnovers (five)
as the offense scored (six)

- Deon Simon (NT) controlled the running game and showed excellent range
laterally.  He and Steve McLendon look to be a nice replacement of Damon Harrison

- Taiwan Jones (ILB) had a "Canton" game with at least 10 tackles, multiple TFL's,
creating an INT with a tip and grabbing an INT.  Did that save him a roster spot or
was it too little too late?

- Juston Burris (CB) ended pre-season on a high note with an INT and better ball awareness
when covering WR's.  He's going to get important reps in the regular season with the
way he's improved this summer

Offense

- LVP of the game was Brandon Shell (OT).  Who had at least two whiffs that nearly got Bryce
Petty killed and definitely got him injured.  He's got a ton of technique work to do because
he reaches and "ducks" his head when pass blocking

- Speaking of Petty, with him getting hurt does that "help" us with roster management?  Will
Maccagnan put him on IR to save us a roster spot?  Too bad he got hurt because he was on is 
way to a big game

- Christian Hackenberg looked overwhelmed the longer he played which was disappointing.  But I
didn't go crazy last week when he had a TD drive so I'm not going crazy with last night's dreck.
He needs to be rebuilt and the organization appears dedicated to that process, so see you next
year Hackenberg

- Was that Jace Amaro's last appearance?  He had a couple of catches but something always seems
"off" when he plays in a game.  To me his worst play was at the end of the first half when we were 
trying to get into FG range.  He makes the catch and gets the necessary yardage for the FG but
fumbles the ball which allows time to run out before we can call a timeout.  Bad situational 
football

- Khiry Robinson flashed a lot of ability behind a makeshift OLine.  He showed good hands in the
passing game and ran with good power inside & outside.  With Robinson, Forte & Powell it appears
we've upgraded our RB corps

- Robby Anderson completed his fantastic summer with another long TD.  It's amazing how far he's
come since camp opened in late July.  Early on he flashed with some catches in practice but Karl
Dorrell (WR coach) was all over him about the depth of his routes & footwork.  But he took the 
coaching and now he's doing what we expected from Devin Smith     

Robby Anderson MVP of the PS. Lac Edwards right behind him. Two areas where major improvement has taken place. Some good LB's may have to be cut. They will certainly go elsewhere and play this season. Burris will get som good PT this season. Can't waste a spot on McD AND Milliner. That may become a serious problem with their health histories.

Amaro should not be worried. He will be cut. Brandon She'll needs a lot of work. He is no LT right now. Petty has earned a spot here. Robinson looks good in the run game particularly considering the OL. 

Special Teams - I agree with everything KRL said. If last year's specials team had performed as well as this year's version has during preseason, last year would have been a playoff season. 

Defense - Deon Simon has turned into a nice find in his second season. If he can develop into a starter down the road, that is a hell of a find by the organization in the 7th round. 

As good as Taiwan Jones's numbers looked, I think his best case scenario is another season on the PS. Bowles seems focused on making the defense more athletic (particularly at LB with all the additions that were made in the off season) and Jones is just not very athletic. 

I can't see McDougle making the team, he hasn't shown anything. That being said, if Burris can develop into a starting CB down the road, that is a nice find in the 4th round. 

Offense - Hackenburg was absolutely brutal. I honestly can't recall a worse game by a Jets QB (except maybe Geno v. Buffalo). I hope Hack is salvageable, but yesterday was incredibly disappointing. Brandon Shell looked horrific as well. 

One of the shortest writeups you've ever done KRL, and for good reason.

There were very few redeemable qualities about last nights game.

Taiwan Jones, Khiry, Anderson, Edwards and Burris played well.

Darron Lee was lost last night. Bad angles, pushed around and absolutely blown up on 1 play

Wesley Johnson with a few penalties, one of which negated a nice Robinson run. Dozier & Shell were terrible.

Oh well.... season begins next week. Still hoping for a quality RT/RG shakes loose during cuts

Ijilana had some good moments but then I remembered he was playing against guys who will be cut by tomorrow

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Special Teams - I agree with everything KRL said. If last year's specials team had performed as well as this year's version has during preseason, last year would have been a playoff season. 

Defense - Deon Simon has turned into a nice find in his second season. If he can develop into a starter down the road, that is a hell of a find by the organization in the 7th round. 

As good as Taiwan Jones's numbers looked, I think his best case scenario is another season on the PS. Bowles seems focused on making the defense more athletic (particularly at LB with all the additions that were made in the off season) and Jones is just not very athletic. 

I can't see McDougle making the team, he hasn't shown anything. That being said, if Burris can develop into a starting CB down the road, that is a nice find in the 4th round. 

Offense - Hackenburg was absolutely brutal. I honestly can't recall a worse game by a Jets QB (except maybe Geno v. Buffalo). I hope Hack is salvageable, but yesterday was incredibly disappointing. Brandon Shell looked horrific as well. 

I hope and pray that Mac never drafts an OL ever again.  He does very well finding FA OL'ers and should stick to that. 

Hackenburg definitely had a tough game. Hopefully after a full offseason and more reps he will come into next season ready to play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Shell's future will most likely be at RT and they had him at LT last night? He may just not be LT material.

Amaro looked awful. He seems to have lost the ability to hold on to the ball. No confidence at all. It's a shame because if he could play like a typical second round tight end, it would make our offense that much formidable. 

a shame we couldnt see more of petty, he was looking good.. hack needed to be limited to one half, he was rough on the eyes.

Robbie Anderson.,. oh my.. even macc couldn't contain himself, talking with Ian on the broadcast, he was asked for one name who the standout was this camp, and it Robbie was his answer.  What a find.

The defense was terrific, if we can keep Fitz upright and Marshall and Decker healthy.. we might be very tough this year... 

Simon also looked good again...

5 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

a shame we couldnt see more of petty, he was looking good.. hack needed to be limited to one half, he was rough on the eyes.

Robbie Anderson.,. oh my.. even macc couldn't contain himself, talking with Ian on the broadcast, he was asked for one name who the standout was this camp, and it Robbie was his answer.  What a find.

The defense was terrific, if we can keep Fitz upright and Marshall and Decker healthy.. we might be very tough this year... 

Simon also looked good again...

This will be the biggest worry for me. The Right side of the OL is so porous.... with the likes of Cinci, Seattle, KC and Arizona & Buffalo in the first 6 weeks, if Fitz comes out alive it will be a major victory. Fitz better set his internal release clock at 2.5 seconds, 'cause if the balls not gone by then they'll be scraping him off the turf

Biggest observation for me was Shell is not an Offensive Lineman.  I have never seen a worse performance by a left tackle.  I have never seen a pass blocker that would not move his feet.  Awful.  He looked like a high schooler going against a combination of Deacon Jones and Reggie White. He should be cut today.

Sorry Macc.  Swing and a miss on this one.

As good as Robbie Anderson's been I liked what Bowles said after the game in his Post Game Press Conf.  A reporter basically asked a question goating him into praising Robbie and he said while Robbie's had a nice preseason he still has a ton of stuff to work as far as better route running and learning the playbook.  That's where Bowles sticks out as a coach to me, he's never satisfied.  Rex would've been calling him the next Jerry Rice.

2 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

As good as Robbie Anderson's been I liked what Bowles said after the game in his Post Game Press Conf.  A reporter basically asked a question goating him into praising Robbie and he said while Robbie's had a nice preseason he still has a ton of stuff to work as far as better route running and learning the playbook.  That's where Bowles sticks out as a coach to me, he's never satisfied.  Rex would've been calling him the next Jerry Rice.

It's that old school Parcells coaching style that never let's the team think they've arrived.  Too many players

these days think they're terrific and Ryan's coaching style let's them get big heads

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Painful game to watch but let's take a look as the pre-season closes 

Special Teams

- One bad flashback to 2015 with the punt return TD, but other than that
the coverage units continue to look improved

- With a horrid offensive performance Lachlan Edwards got quite a workout
and was outstanding.  Fantastic upgrade over Ryan Quigley

Defense

- Ended the pre-season on a high note, creating almost as many turnovers (five)
as the offense scored (six)

- Deon Simon (NT) controlled the running game and showed excellent range
laterally.  He and Steve McLendon look to be a nice replacement of Damon Harrison

- Taiwan Jones (ILB) had a "Canton" game with at least 10 tackles, multiple TFL's,
creating an INT with a tip and grabbing an INT.  Did that save him a roster spot or
was it too little too late?

- Juston Burris (CB) ended pre-season on a high note with an INT and better ball awareness
when covering WR's.  He's going to get important reps in the regular season with the
way he's improved this summer

Offense

- LVP of the game was Brandon Shell (OT).  Who had at least two whiffs that nearly got Bryce
Petty killed and definitely got him injured.  He's got a ton of technique work to do because
he reaches and "ducks" his head when pass blocking

- Speaking of Petty, with him getting hurt does that "help" us with roster management?  Will
Maccagnan put him on IR to save us a roster spot?  Too bad he got hurt because he was on is 
way to a big game

- Christian Hackenberg looked overwhelmed the longer he played which was disappointing.  But I
didn't go crazy last week when he had a TD drive so I'm not going crazy with last night's dreck.
He needs to be rebuilt and the organization appears dedicated to that process, so see you next
year Hackenberg

- Was that Jace Amaro's last appearance?  He had a couple of catches but something always seems
"off" when he plays in a game.  To me his worst play was at the end of the first half when we were 
trying to get into FG range.  He makes the catch and gets the necessary yardage for the FG but
fumbles the ball which allows time to run out before we can call a timeout.  Bad situational 
football

- Khiry Robinson flashed a lot of ability behind a makeshift OLine.  He showed good hands in the
passing game and ran with good power inside & outside.  With Robinson, Forte & Powell it appears
we've upgraded our RB corps

- Robby Anderson completed his fantastic summer with another long TD.  It's amazing how far he's
come since camp opened in late July.  Early on he flashed with some catches in practice but Karl
Dorrell (WR coach) was all over him about the depth of his routes & footwork.  But he took the 
coaching and now he's doing what we expected from Devin Smith     

You are one of my favorites posters and very good at being objective in delivering information. I am going to remove my 1:00 taping of the game because my big fat belly gurgled when you said it is tough to watch.  Thank you.  

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Was that Jace Amaro's last appearance?  He had a couple of catches but something always seems
football

Jets need to cut Amaro. I like Brandon Bostick much better. I think Wes Sexton is better than Amaro as well. Sudfeld will be kept, but should be teamed with Bostick or Sexton or both IMO. Drop Amaro just like he drops footballs.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

My observations: the preseason should be 2 games.  That sh*t hurt my eyes to watch.

Agreed, the CFL switched to 2 preseason games a number of years ago.  It was at that time they went to 18 games Reg season from 16 and it has worked out really well.

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

Biggest observation for me was Shell is not an Offensive Lineman.  I have never seen a worse performance by a left tackle.  I have never seen a pass blocker that would not move his feet.  Awful.  He looked like a high schooler going against a combination of Deacon Jones and Reggie White. He should be cut today.

Not just Shell, every lineman that played last night was terrible.None of those guys should make an NFL team, but we are in bad shape at the position. Realistically, we have 3 1/2 good lineman    Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, with Winters being the 1/2. We better get lucky on waiver wire. Now you can see why they tried so hard to get Tunsil on draft night.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

You are one of my favorites posters and very good at being objective in delivering information. I am going to remove my 1:00 taping of the game because my big fat belly gurgled when you said it is tough to watch.  Thank you.  

You sure it didn't gurgle when the Mentos "fresh-maker" commercial was playing?

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, the CFL switched to 2 preseason games a number of years ago.  It was at that time they went to 18 games Reg season from 16 and it has worked out really well.

Will be part of future Owner - Players negotiations 

Thankfully , I only was able to listen last night on radio ... Sounded like Robbie Anderson took a bad unnecessary roughness type penalty in the end zone pushing the guy after Hack's pick six ... Following in that Parcellsian line of thought , should probably be a conversation point with him ( let's not put him in Canton yet) despite an otherwise strong positive showing this preseason.

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

I sure hope the Jets are scouring the waiver wires for OL; we're paper thin at that position. Shell will be pumping gas at a Shell station on Monday.

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not just Shell, every lineman that played last night was terrible.None of those guys should make an NFL team, but we are in bad shape at the position. Realistically, we have 3 1/2 good lineman    Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, with Winters being the 1/2. We better get lucky on waiver wire. Now you can see why they tried so hard to get Tunsil on draft night.

One team to keep an eye on is PIT.  They have some good guys on the bubble and BJ Finney looks like a possibility to get cut (or else Chris Hubbard) that we might want to take a look at.  But Hawkins will go on IR/PUP to start the season so they could keep an extra.  Other than that, it's a long shot to hope a real upgrade at RG/RT will magically hit the waiver wire.

14 minutes ago, ljr said:

Thankfully , I only was able to listen last night on radio ... Sounded like Robbie Anderson took a bad unnecessary roughness type penalty in the end zone pushing the guy after Hack's pick six ... Following in that Parcellsian line of thought , should probably be a conversation point with him ( let's not put him in Canton yet) despite an otherwise strong positive showing this preseason.

That was a lame penalty, he was chasing the guy to the endzone and just gave him a wee shove.  You can see it if you look at the highlights on nfl .com

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That was a lame penalty, he was chasing the guy to the endzone and just gave him a wee shove.  You can see it if you look at the highlights on nfl .com

The call was legit even if it wasn't very hard.  Compare it to the late hit on Petty that wasn't called though. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just watched it

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000694239/Jets-vs-Eagles-highlights

defnitely stupid play & deserving of penalty ... Eagle was just starting to take his 3rd step after entering the end zone & Anderson pushed him in the back ... For all the good Anderson's done this preseason , a bad stupid penalty needs to be acknowledged & learned from as well ... I'd be p*$$ed at my player if that were to happen during the regular season.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jets need to cut Amaro. I like Brandon Bostick much better. I think Wes Sexton is better than Amaro as well. Sudfeld will be kept, but should be teamed with Bostick or Sexton or both IMO. Drop Amaro just like he drops footballs.

I disagree - drops are correctable. The guy creates mismatches and is often running open in the seams,you don't cut players who can give you that advantage.

I agree that Amaro sucks, but there's definitely too many fans getting butthurt over where he was drafted.  Definitely a disappointment, but in the end the rest of the Jets horrible TE's are even worse.  If they can scour the waiver wire for upgrades that's fantastic, but until then, there's no reason to cut him out of spite.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It was a cheap shot period. Guy had crossed the line and he pushed him from behind. And morality aside that is exactly the type of dumb sh*t that plagued the Rex era and cost us flag after flag. Bowles should cut him on principle to send a message that those days are over.

Archived